PDA

View Full Version : Arnil (Kingdom of Arnil IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Gaiyamato
2013-09-28, 09:41 PM
IC Thread for the Kingdom of Arnil.
Describe whatever you like here.

DawnRaven
2013-09-29, 10:33 AM
Eril glanced over her small retinue and the arrayed death cult before her. As you know, I've gathered you for an important purpose. Our religion has, so far, spread well among our Matriach's glorious town. However, we do not know what dangers face our home. The world is filled with unknown wilderness and there could very-well be hordes of heathens at our doorstep. It is our responsibility, neigh, our imperial mandate, to subjugate these dangers in the glory of Arnil!

The crowd of human worshipers cheered, slapping swords upon shields. The Order of the Ebon Thorn would follow their Black Rose anywhere. She smiled upon them before turning, pausing to nod at her sister's dark form before looking away from the village and out toward the world.

Sister. Where we go I shall need your pale eyes watching my back. I will not lead from the rear, leaving my followers to explore the nooks and crannies. I shall find the pearls of this world myself and crack them open, plundering in the name of our dear leader.

The large, steel-clad form nods its head, stroking the silver rose inlaid in its sword. Anya didn't talk much since her transformation. The Black Rose struck the shaft of her scythe twice on the ground before turning and leaping aboard her plain black horse. The leather and steel riding skirts split easily and she began the slow march toward destiny.

Edit: Adding Eril's Order from her character sheet.

{table]Unit Name | Formation | Race | Unit Type | Training Level | Training Type | Subtype | Feats | Weapons | Armor | Cost | Upkeep
Order of the Ebon Rose| None |Human |Martial | Regular | Infantry | None | Unbreakable, Disciplined (Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack, WF: Longsword, Toughness)| Medium | Medium | | 265
[/table]
{table]Unit Name | MAB | RAB | AC | Melee Power | Ranged Power | Toughness | Wound Levels | Morale | Command | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Move | MPs | Shock Factor | Prerequisites
Order of the Ebon Rose|14 | 11 | 18 | +20(22v undead) | 13(15 v undead) | 28 |2 | +5 | +3 |+9 |+9 | +5 | Walk 6 | 42 | 0 |
[/table]

Raunchel
2013-09-29, 01:44 PM
"Dear, dear Eril, I want you to travel east to find those who oppose us, bring those lands into our realm, if the opposition proves too strong withdraw, but otherwise crush them in battle. Do this for me, Eril, and I will reward you as you deserve. Take one of the batallions of the zombies with you as well as the flight of wyverns, strength is the path to progress."

Summer Events: [roll0]
I have given Sybille undead leadership, and this will give another unit of zombies and 4 zombie wyverns, which I hope to be enough for a special unit. Other than that there will be a few more lv 2 and 3 followers and three well-armed bone creature warriors with an ecl of 6, one of who is the cohort. I will do the specific statting tomorrow.

{table]Unit Name | Formation | Race | Unit Type | Training Level | Training Type | Subtype | Feats | Weapons | Armor | Cost | Upkeep
Zombie Wyverns | None | Wyvern |Special | None | Aerial | None | Toughness | Medium | None | 480RP | 30RP
[/table]
{table]Unit Name | MAB | RAB | AC | Melee Power | Ranged Power | Toughness | Wound Levels | Morale | Command | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Move | MPs | Shock Factor | Prerequisites
Zombie Wyverns |12 | N/A | 20 | +16 | N/A | 32 |3 | N/A | 0 | 4 |4 | 9 | Walk 4/Fly 12 | 72 | 2 | Bleak Sanctuary lv 4
[/table]
Zombies | None | Human |Zombies | Irregular | Infantry | None | None | Simple | None | 200RP | 13RP
[/table]
Zombies | 2 | N/A | 11 | +9 | N/A | 24 | 2 | N/A | 0 | 0 |-1 | 3 | Walk 6 | 42 | 0 | Bleak Sanctuary lv 4
[/table]
Skeletons | None | Human |Skeletons | Irregular | Infantry | None | None | Simple | None | 270RP | 17RP
[/table]
Skeletons | 1 | N/A | 15 | +8 | N/A | 23 | 2 | N/A | 0 | 0 |1 | 2 | Walk 6 | 42 | 0 | Bleak Sanctuary lv 4
[/table]

Gaiyamato
2013-09-29, 06:29 PM
Normally 5 is the minimum for Special units. I will allow the Wyverns with 1 wound lost until you can get them up to 5 strong.
They should have more wounds as well shouldn't they?

Normal units require 100 of the same type to form. If there are 50 they could operate with only 1 wound. Less than 50 and the unit cannot be formed.

If you have that then all is good. :smallsmile:

It will be a failed Annex action however as you have no unit with the Scout subtype. But at least the hex will count as explored.
Changed my mind (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16123481&postcount=159) :smallbiggrin:

With Eril leading the troops (Eril counts as a General also...) you may annex the hex.. if you win... :smallwink:

Which hex number have you selected? 29 or 49?

DawnRaven
2013-09-29, 07:19 PM
We;ll explore 49 first!

Gaiyamato
2013-09-29, 07:31 PM
Exploring 49:

[roll0]

[roll1]x1000RPs of monsters (I'll use some random D&D tables for the terrain type to determine the monster type if any)

EDIT: A Well-guarded mountain...

Gaiyamato
2013-09-29, 07:41 PM
Eril and the undead troops move in a long loose formation (OOC: No formal formation set yet) out of the foothills and up into the mountain that towers over the capital. As you move through the thin brush and pick your way along narrow rocky trails a screech can be heard overhead. High up 6 dark red shapes circle for a time before one of them (the largest) lands directly in front of your force.

A red Dragon - albeit relatively small in size (a Young adult you estimate) stops your force.
Turn back now. This mountain is our home! If you come to claim this land we will fight you!

OOC:

1 Unit of Wyrmling Red Dragons.
1 Young Adult Red Dragon General (Secunded to unit).

Attitude is Unfriendly.

On the plus side, if you defeat them there is an absolute TON of treasure and XP... :smalleek:

DawnRaven
2013-09-29, 09:54 PM
Eril whistles and glances to her sister, who shakes her head. The woman frowns and taps her saddle nervously. We come here only to explore, Great One. And to see what surrounds our fair village. We have no qualms with you.
Diplomacy: [roll0] Hah, come on lucky 20?

While talking, Eril motions to the troops with her hand, indicating they should turn around and pull out. It wouldn't do to waste the matriarch's troops on a battle likely to be lost.

Gaiyamato
2013-09-29, 09:59 PM
Diplomacy roll has little effect. However the Dragon does not order an attack, preferring to protect the Wyrmlings and let you leave.

You have made a wise decision. The leader Dragon replies as your troops begin the withdrawl.
The Dragons continue to watch you quietly as you return home.

DawnRaven
2013-09-29, 11:02 PM
Misfortune falls upon our footsteps, Sister. Every good villain monologues. At least that's what Eril heard from a paladin she slew once. Who better to monologue to than a silent, now undead, sister? Let us find victory at least once so we can bring good word with bad when we return to Arnil. Forward, to the north!

Assuming that heading to each hex takes a day? If not, they'll head to 29 next. If so, they'll rest for the night and then explore 29 on the next day.

Gaiyamato
2013-09-29, 11:18 PM
Take the lowest MPs as the Mps for your army and Subtract 18. If you still have 18 more remaining you can explore another hex adjacent to your Capital.

This entire action still only costs 12 RPs from your Regent income.

DawnRaven
2013-09-30, 08:06 AM
Wicked! Looks like zombies move at the same speed as my human troops so we have 24 MPs left. Onward to 29!

Random thought/question: Can Eril's lv 4 minions secund command and grant the bonuses to a unit that secunding gives?

While walking in the midst of her followers, Eril can't help but chatter to her silent sister and the creature hiding in her horse's shadow.

I didn't sew your lips shut, sister. You can do more than stare forebodingly at the world.

The mountain of steel beside Eril snorts, despite not needing to breath anymore she still tends to on instinct. I speak when I have something to say, Eril. We've been absent from the field too long. I yearn for combat to stretch my limbs.

Gaiyamato
2013-09-30, 08:21 AM
Yes your level 4 minions can secund to a unit and give it some bonuses, so long as the unit is low enough in level.

[roll0] type - going to be forest.
[roll1]*1000 RPs defenders.

One Unit of Kobold Regular warriors armed with light weapons, light armor and shields, 2 Units of Kobold Commoner irregulars armed with Irregular weapons and light bows. None of them have subtypes or feats. One Kobold Warlord (6th level Marshal), Secunded to Regular unit.

Guarding a Kobold Nomad caravan (small).

182RPs loot + weapons + random treasure generation if you defeat them.

Gaiyamato
2013-09-30, 08:31 AM
Updated. Ready.

DawnRaven
2013-09-30, 09:24 AM
The small army of cultists, dead wyverns and zombies halts in the grasslands. Eril situates herself on top of a hill, looking down across the kobold caravan. Fortune gifts us with a prize. She calls out, twirling her scythe above her head. Little lizards! You pass through territory that will soon be part of Arnil. As Inautia's Voice, I claim your goods..and your bodies for our prosperity!

To Arms! Eril's sister will secund the group of zombies granting them: +1 MAB/RAB and +1 command. I don't think any of the units can form a formation since they're all different types (special unit, regular medium infantry and undead). Is this right?

Initiative is based on head general's command so: [roll0] (Glad I put some ranks in that, even if it is cross-class!)

Raunchel
2013-09-30, 09:29 AM
Sybille stands between her dead servants, eagerly awaiting word from Eril. The peasants are hard at work to bring her the harvest, but she is starting to feel bored. She takes her place on her mount, and takes to the sky, she looks out across her lands and makes her decission. She looks to the south, and makes a simple gesture. At her command the skeletons march to the south, accompanied by one of her champions (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=669813)dressed in its heavy armor and brandishing a wicked-looking lance, the once-man sits atop a rotting bear. She knows that it is dangerous, but intends to retreat as soon as something happens. The other two champions remain behind with the zombies to protect the village.

She goes to 26, mostly to have something to do. She flies above her force, looking for any possible threats.

Gaiyamato
2013-09-30, 09:31 AM
The Kobolds look up at the raiders. The Kobold commander starts issuing orders as the screeches of Kobold civilians - children mostly - fills the air.

The Two archer units form a single formation, 2 across one deep. In each archer unit is a Secunded Captain. The front melee unit stands alone in front of them with the General secunded in the unit himself.

You are 10 squares away from the Kobolds melee unit (1 square between it and the archers).

[roll0] Initiative.

Gaiyamato
2013-09-30, 09:35 AM
26?

South is hex 50.

Raunchel
2013-09-30, 09:39 AM
Oops, I think that I have misread the map a little, that is the one I meant.

Gaiyamato
2013-09-30, 09:42 AM
@50
[roll0] terrain - plains.
[roll1]*1000 -
1 Ogre Mage Mercenary leading 5 Units of Skeleton Human Warriors.

*sigh*

DawnRaven
2013-09-30, 10:31 AM
Placement: Wyvern unit located airborn above the zombies. Zombies are located beside Eril's personal unit.

How many squares is an inch? Eril will activate her personal unit first and have them move forward and then fire a ranged attack. (DC 0 for both, I believe). They have a range of 3 inches (2 +1 composite) and a move of 6 inches. They will move forward so that the enemy archers are just within range of their bows before loosing. If they are already in range, they won't move.

[roll0] to hit and [roll1] to get past toughness.

Raunchel
2013-09-30, 03:12 PM
Sybille mentally guides her mount towards the ogre mage, coming to a halt in front of him. She speaks: "Greetings, I am Sybille Arnilin, queen of Arnil. It would be most profitable for you to join my realm as a general."

Diplomacy, because it might work: [roll0]

DawnRaven
2013-09-30, 04:40 PM
If we either win the combat or recruit the mage (or defeat him), can Sybille annex one of those hexes this 'turn/day?'

Gaiyamato
2013-09-30, 11:19 PM
@Dawnraven

Each hex is 1 inch squared to make things easy. So you begin 10 inches away from them.

Annexing is a free action with no cost. You may annex the hexes this turn if you clear them. However that will end your movement for the turn.
[/quote]

@Raunchel
The Ogre approaches your parlay willingly. His units on stand-by. "I am Torug the black, scourge of the south, Queen of Arnil. Your offer sounds more interesting than fighting you. What is it you can offer me and my troops?"

[spoiler]
Talk in GP number that round to an even RP value (/100).
Offer figures in terms of weekly cost, that would become their upkeep cost.

DawnRaven
2013-10-01, 06:39 AM
Hold those zombies back, Sister. Wait for the kobolds to close. We shall rain arrows down upon them while you sweep across their forces. We shall keep the wyverns in reserve until the Order can engage their archers in melee. Eril motions to her signal bearer and her troops hold position, waiting for the kobold's soldiers to move first. She bows her head and mutters a quick prayer to Inautia. Lord of Death, watch over our movements today and bring victory to your dedicated.

Re-reading initiative it looks like if I choose to go first, I can activate all three units. However, instead I'll force the kobold leader to activate his melee contingent first.
After he does that, I will make the above ranged attack on them, assuming they move into range.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-01, 07:20 AM
The Kobolds, being on the defensive, hold their ground. The melee unit takes the time to use some of the wagons and debris to make a make-shift low wall in front of them.
The Archers wait patiently in formation.

Raunchel
2013-10-01, 07:21 AM
"I offer to pay you and your troops a yearly sum of 27,976,000 gold pieces every year. You will be named marquess and general and will be a member of my personal council. Does this sound acceptable to you?"
I don't really know what a reasonable offer would be, but I think that this would be fitting. After all, this would give him a very nice income to enjoy. I based it on the upkeep of five skeleton units and a fifth of the upkeep for a unit of ogre mages, plus a little extra.

Ruler actions: I bank everything, only raising low taxes to we can do some upgrading next season.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-01, 07:30 AM
OOC:
The 5 skeletons are (1350)/4 = 338RPs per week or 338,000gp
1 Ogre Mage on mage on his own would be ECL 18 (5 Giant RHD, LA +7 and 6 levels of Dread Necromancer (using fixed Dread Necro spell list)) = (18*18)*10 daily cost in gp = 3240. So 22680 per week which comes to 227RPs upkeep per week. He will accept 200 per week for a Title however.
Skeletons cannot come any cheaper as they require active upkeep.

So total of 538RPs per turn.

So you know that is 27,976,000gp a year or 279,760RPs per year.

Do you wish to amend your post? lol.

Raunchel
2013-10-01, 07:46 AM
I edited it into my old offer, I think that I slightly misread some things in the book, this is the first time that I actually get to use it.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-01, 07:54 AM
The Ogre mage thinks it over for a moment. "I think you have yourself a deal there."

He brings with himself A glowing Huge sized Greataxe (+3) and 616RPs of gold. He keeps it all for now however.

Raunchel
2013-10-01, 08:03 AM
"Then I formally annex these lands into the kingdom of Arnil. Now, my marquess, let us proceed to the west, which is yet to be brought into our realm."

I annex this territory into the realm and continue to the west, with the whole army. Into number 31, seeing if there is anything there.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-01, 08:06 AM
You find that this hex is the native location for wild light horses. Settlements here gain discounts for light cavalry.

Nothing else!

BTW: You gain 12000xp for convincing the Ogre Mage to join you (not that it was hard) as well.

What MPs does your slowest troop have left?

EDIT: You also must leave a unit in a hex for a full season to annex it, or build a Thorpe in it immediately.

You can Annex next turn instead if you lack a living unit to leave behind and garrison the hex.

Raunchel
2013-10-01, 08:13 AM
My slowest unit are the skeletons, who start with 42 mp.

I will leave one unit of skeletons in the newly conquered hex with the champion who will oversee the annexation. The unit that stays behind is the one that I took with me here, so all troops in the expedition force, except for the Sybille are still fresh.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-01, 08:24 AM
So you have spent only 6 move of a skeletons 42. Want to leave another unit (would be one of the Ogres) in this hex also to Annex it?

Raunchel
2013-10-01, 08:46 AM
Yes, I think that that would be a good idea yes.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-01, 08:49 AM
Next move then?
At this rate you have a lot more. lol.

Raunchel
2013-10-01, 09:42 AM
Sybille turns to the ogre: "Marquess Torug, let us continue on our march to enlarge the kingdom."
And we march north to 15. First we go for the directly surrounding lands, then we'll see.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-01, 10:12 AM
Torug nods agreement and the column of troops marches north, leaving another unit of skeleton warriors behind.

As you march across the plains the weather turns sour and a dull low drizzle sets in obscuring vision. Hours pass as you trudge north, doing your best to scout the area no little avail. Out of nowhere there is a loud drum-beat and then a scream as a horde of Goblins launches an assault on your force.

OOC:
6 units of Goblins (Regular Infantry armed with light weapons and nothing else). A Goblin commander is in one of the units, all arranged in a company. Frontal assault.

[roll0] initiative with bonus for surprise.

DawnRaven
2013-10-01, 11:28 AM
Hm..I guess Eril will activate the zombies first and move them 6" forward, then then move her personal unit 5" forward. I'm not sure what the movement of the wyverns would be, but they will stay above the zombies if possible.
Round 2? [roll0]
If going first, Eril will move the zombies in and engage the melee kobolds. I'm not sure what their stats are though..

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-01, 03:55 PM
Eril hers a buzzing sound behind her. If she turns she sees an undead figure with glowing runes, a grand cape and a bronze crown. I will indeed watch, my blessed one. I shall observe your leadership.

DawnRaven
2013-10-01, 04:58 PM
Eril hers a buzzing sound behind her. If she turns she sees an undead figure with glowing runes, a grand cape and a bronze crown. I will indeed watch, my blessed one. I shall observe your leadership.

The cleric immediately drops to one knee, bowing her head deeply. "We shall drench the ground in blood and bring many souls to you, my Lord. We fear nothing as your disciples!" Eril's fanatic troops stay in formation, knowing her wrath if they displayed the same obeisance she had while on the field of battle. She rises quickly, calling out to her soldiers. Forward! Kill their solders, but leave their women and children. We are warriors, not butchers!

I couldn't find the answer in FoB, although I know it must be there. How does spellcasting work in combat? Can Eril cast a spell on her unit (from the list of spells that work in the battlefield) and still move the unit/attack with it? If so, she casts Bless on the Order of the Ebon Rose and the Zombie unit.

DawnRaven
2013-10-01, 05:44 PM
Double post, sorry!

Just noticed that her initiative for round 2 was 25 and that will likely mean she can move all of her units before the kobolds can. She can activate one unit per point of initiative she has above the kobold so assuming he doesn't get a 22 initiative..

The zombies, as stated, would be activated first and assuming they have the same stats as the ones in Raunchel's Arnil statblock..[roll0] to hit for [roll1] v toughness. Edit: Just realized she has their stats on the first page. Subtract 2 from the power roll.

The Order of the Ebon Rose will ..wheel, I suppose? and go around the zombie + melee unit combat to go after the archers. [roll2] (not sure but I add Eril's command bonus with the unit's to make that check, yes?)

I believe they can move to to be adjacent to them with a 6" move. They moved 5" last round, melee was 10" away and ranged was only 11" away. They'll then try to engage one archer unit with melee. [roll3] for [roll4] power (god that is high o.O).

Still not sure what the stats would be on the wyverns, don't have the FoB book on me atm to try and figure it out. They will move in to engage the second archer unit.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-01, 07:38 PM
Turn 1 Eril: No unit activation, nothing happens.
Turn 1 Kobold: Activate temporary fortifications. Nothing else
Turn 2 Eril: Zombies move forward 6. The Order of the Ebon Rose move forward 5. Zombie wyverns can move forward 12, which allows them to land and assault one of the archer units.
So before anything else we need to work that combat out.
The archers are likely going to die however...

DawnRaven
2013-10-01, 11:13 PM
Turn 1 Eril: No unit activation, nothing happens.
Turn 1 Kobold: Activate temporary fortifications. Nothing else
Turn 2 Eril: Zombies move forward 6. The Order of the Ebon Rose move forward 5. Zombie wyverns can move forward 12, which allows them to land and assault one of the archer units.
So before anything else we need to work that combat out.
The archers are likely going to die however...

The wyverns swarm into the poor archers. [roll0] for [roll1] vs Toughness.

Edit: Looks like Eril can cast one spell per turn. For turn 2 she'll cast Bless, targeting her own unit and the zombies.

Raunchel
2013-10-02, 04:56 AM
Sybille looks at the approaching goblins. She gives the order to form up in a line as she takes to the sky. She starts casting her spell on the approaching goblins.

Initiative: [roll0]

She casts cloudkill on the goblins, targeting their leader's unit. It will then move towards her lines, so the unit behind the commander's will have to go through to reach them.

EDIT: I fear that she won't have the opportunity to do that yet, the goblins won initiative.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-06, 10:42 PM
The Archers are decimated as the Wyverns land among them, tearing them to shreds, Within seconds half their numbers (-1 wound) remain.
They attempt to fight back against the Wyverns to little effect:
[roll0] to hit [roll1] to wound. (Unit has leader)

The melee unit hold their ground, now realising that they are the only line of defense against the oncoming zombie hoard. The other unit of archers are forced to join the melee against the Wyverns in order to have any hope of changing the outcome of this battle.
[roll2] to hit [roll3] to wound.

EDIT: OMG.. FAIL... O_O

Gaiyamato
2013-10-06, 10:45 PM
The Goblin mass charges, it's front ranks reaching your front ranks before they can reform, leaving only a single unit of Skeletons lead by the Ogre in their path.

[roll0] to hit [roll1] to wound. (hit, fail to wound)
[roll2] to hit [roll3] to wound. (command unit) (fail to hit, fail to wound)
[roll4] to hit [roll5] to wound. (hit wound)

Against Skeleton unit.

EDIT: The Skeleton unit is over-run, barely more than thirty or fourty remain fighting alongside the Ogre mage - who is now fighting desperately.

Your turn :smallsmile:

Raunchel
2013-10-07, 04:00 AM
Sybille looks at the charging goblins and speaks words of power. A cloud of lethal gas form on the left flank of the goblin front, and flows over their entire front. She gives a mental command, and the other skeletal units form up in a line while the ogre's unit falls back. This new front then marches through the dead caused by the cloud to attack the surviving goblins behind them.

Now I cloudkill them, starting at the front goblins on the left, moving it to the right, hitting three units this turn. Unfortunately it then flows away, but still, that should cause plenty of dead goblins. I am assuming that they have only one HD, so the spell should kill them. I have three attacking units of skeletons now.

Left: [roll0], Damage: [roll1]
Center: [roll2], Damage: [roll3]
Right: [roll4], Damage: [roll5]

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 07:02 AM
The Goblin front-lines are decimated utterly. 300 Goblins and their leader drop dead instantly. The Skeletons charge forward destroying completely another unit of the Goblins.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Both Goblin units hold however, vowing to fight to the death. Torug animates the central unit of recently Dead Goblins into a unit of Goblin Zombies (OOC: Can attack next turn) and licks his wounds from behind the lines.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 07:05 AM
Round 2:
The Goblins having held their cool in the face of now certain death fight back.

[roll0] to hit [roll1] to wound against zombie unit. <-fails to hit
[roll2] to hit [roll3] to wound against zombie unit. <-fails to wound

However their attacks against their still warm fallen comrades corpses fail completely and the two units are unsuccessful at linking up again.

Raunchel
2013-10-07, 07:35 AM
The skeletons press their attack, and the new zombies join in the fray as well. Sybille remains in the air, observing the battlefield and trying to see if there are any other goblins still in hiding.

Skeletons 1: to hit: [roll0], damage: [roll1]
Skeletons 2: to hit: [roll2], damage: [roll3]
Skeletons 3: to hit: [roll4], damage: [roll5]
Zombies: to hit: [roll6], damage: [roll7]

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 10:25 AM
The Archers are decimated as the Wyverns land among them, tearing them to shreds, Within seconds half their numbers (-1 wound) remain.
They attempt to fight back against the Wyverns to little effect:
[roll0] to hit [roll1] to wound. (Unit has leader)

The melee unit hold their ground, now realising that they are the only line of defense against the oncoming zombie hoard. The other unit of archers are forced to join the melee against the Wyverns in order to have any hope of changing the outcome of this battle.
[roll2] to hit [roll3] to wound.

EDIT: OMG.. FAIL... O_O

Gah didn't even see you had posted! so glad of those rolls though :D

Rest of Round 2, see above post. Zombies attack melee kobolds and the Order of the Thorn join the archer-wyvern melee.

Round 3:
Initiative [roll0]
Edit: Ouch.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 06:51 PM
Init: [roll0] <- only need a 3 or higher. :smallbiggrin:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 06:53 PM
OOC: Not seeing an "above post". worked it all out. lol.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 07:31 PM
Melee Kobold's ready themselves as the horde of zombies shuffles ever closer to them, the carnage behind them is not going unnoticed however.
[roll0] Morale check - melee
[roll1] Morale check - damaged unit
[roll2] Morale check - other archer unit

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 07:34 PM
Both of the Archer units suddenly turn and break, legging it.

[roll0] Morale check - melee unit all alone

The entire Kobold arms runs. Your Wyverns can cut them all down if you like.

Then the Kobold caravan is completely helpless now.

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 07:50 PM
Both of the Archer units suddenly turn and break, legging it.

[roll0] Morale check - melee unit all alone

The entire Kobold arms runs. Your Wyverns can cut them all down if you like.

Then the Kobold caravan is completely helpless now.

And let all those bodies go to waste? The wyvern cuts down the cowards.

Eril will approach the caravan, speaking in a booming voice. Your warriors are dead or wounded and are claimed as spoils of war on behalf of Arnil. We likewise claim the goods of this caravan and this land as our own. Bereft of protection, coin and food will leave you vulnerable to the predation of others who would not leave you alive so I suggest you head to our kingdom and seek work. Those who choose to move to our kingdom shall be allowed to split ten percent of what we take from you among themselves. Those who choose otherwise may turn to the hills and forests around us for comfort.

She's not really evil...just harsh! Loot loot :D :D Also..she'll have the Order gather together a massive pile of kobold dead in one area. Its time to buy some onyx :3

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 08:01 PM
OOC: You could also have them settle a Kobold Thorpe here under your control...

You find:
13 gp, 100 sp, 600 cp
1x small Adamantine Battleaxe

300 Kobold Corpses

1RP of mundane supplies.

You gain 800xp

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 08:05 PM
OOC: You could also have them settle a Kobold Thorpe here under your control...

Yes. That will do! Eril can leave behind the zombie unit to keep an eye on them since with despotic, they need a unit in every settled hex, I believe.

Edit: Aww poor loot :P ..wait..I wonder how much adamantine battle axes sell for! Good Xp Nearly 1/5 of the way to her first feat yay!

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 08:06 PM
Edit treasure into above post.

Yes Despotism requires a garrison in every settlement or it rebels.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 08:09 PM
@Raunchel.
The Ogre Mage Animates another unit of Zombies back behind the lines.

Your units managed to bring down a few Goblins, but the Goblins are fighting hard and to the death, resolved in their fate they have become hard to bring down.

They both attempt to attack the central undead unit attempting to join up and form a defensive block again.
1D20+6[/roll]
1D20+6[/roll]

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 08:10 PM
[roll0] re-rolling that second wound roll.

Failed.. *sigh*

The Goblin units prove ineffective against their fallen comrades again however.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 08:12 PM
[roll0] morale check 1
[roll1] morale check 2

Both units have had enough and turn to flee. They are caught and killed by the zombies and skeletons instead.

:smallfrown:

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 08:16 PM
Where in FoB can I find rules for movement in wild/unexplored hexes? I'm not sure if the Order can move any more this turn (also, how much time does each move take? ><)

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 08:31 PM
Movement is 9-<races production value for the hex>*2 MPs.

A battle chews it all up though. However that was your turn 1 movement!

So your force has fresh MPs left now.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 08:32 PM
OMG! You guys have so many zombies and skeletons now! :smalleek:

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 08:55 PM
OMG! You guys have so many zombies and skeletons now! :smalleek:

Hm..Eril can make 30 HD of undead kobolds if she had 750GP sitting around. However, she'll just arrange for the bodies to be carted back to the city for use.

Deathbound allows 3x Caster level for animate instead of 2x and then desecrate doubles that to 6x caster level :D Unfortunately, I don't think that lets her get enough o make into an army and if she casts the spell again, she loses control of all previous undead animated so that defeats the purpose..sigh. Still! 30 kobold skeletons if she wants!

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 09:04 PM
That limit is for personal undead. Units are maintained by the state. There is no limit, just RP upkeep costs.

You can spend your turn sitting there animating them all no problems.
The Onyx cost is assumed in the kingdom. A lot of this works differently from normal DnD.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-07, 09:05 PM
You guys should have:

3 Units of Kobold Warrior Zombies
6 Units of Goblin Warrior Zombies
4.5 Units of Skeletons

By way of undead units now.

Raunchel
2013-10-08, 03:56 AM
And don't forget the zombie wyverns and our other starting units. We are really starting to get an army, not a very effective one(from my side at least, almost all of the killing was done by Sybille's magic, but still. And what does Sybille find with the goblins? She will try to animate all of the dead of course.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-08, 04:20 AM
You guys manage to animate all of the dead. For both of you there will be no more exploration movement until the start of turn 3 - though you can re-arrange your units around your 7 hexes any way you like. Turn 3 should hopefully start when the massive carnage up north is done.

Loot from the Goblins:

1 x Masterwork Artisan's Tools (Small) (55 gp)
1 x Masterwork Halfspear (Small) (301 gp)
116gp

Surprised you guys do not have create undead to make their leaders into wights or something.

Raunchel
2013-10-08, 04:57 AM
Well, I do have create undead, and have it prepared, I just forgot to actually use it...

So, can I still do that on the goblin leader?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-08, 05:07 AM
Sure go for it. :smallsmile:
You could do the same on the Kobold Leader also.

Raunchel
2013-10-08, 05:33 AM
If he is brought to me I will do that.

DawnRaven
2013-10-08, 07:10 AM
If he is brought to me I will do that.
We will definitely bring him to you for that. Too bad Eril can't cast that! When that is done, Eril will have those bringing the body ask Sybille if she has any specific orders. I believe the hex still needs to be annexed? But that can be done for free, right?

Turn 2: Assuming Sybille wants them to explore further..I believe Eril and forces are in hex 29, so they will move to hex 48. She will leave behind one group of zombie kobolds, taking the zombie humans, 2 kobold zombies, the wyverns and her personal troupe with her.

Have we been counting the creation cost of the kobold zombies? Anyway..onward to Hex 48 and victory!

Gaiyamato
2013-10-08, 07:38 AM
No animation cost to the Zombies through this method.
But there will be an upkeep cost come the start of next season.

Movement is now over except for small movement within the hexes you already control.

To annex a hex you either need to build something in it or leave a unit guarding it for a season.

DawnRaven
2013-10-08, 09:12 AM
No animation cost to the Zombies through this method.
But there will be an upkeep cost come the start of next season.

Movement is now over except for small movement within the hexes you already control.

To annex a hex you either need to build something in it or leave a unit guarding it for a season.

Does the kobold thorpe count as building in it? :D

Gaiyamato
2013-10-08, 09:14 AM
Yes it does. :smallsmile:

DawnRaven
2013-10-08, 07:24 PM
Yes it does. :smallsmile:

Awesome.
Other questions: When selling items do you want us to do rolls/RP of it or just handwave and get 50% worth?

Eril, I believe is all done for her turn 1. If/when we move to turn 2, she'll explore hex 48 to the East.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-08, 07:49 PM
Sell items for 50%.

I'll get onto exploring shortly.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-09, 11:25 AM
Chaplain Eligor Dullahan carefully tended to the matters of the chapel of Inuatia. Devotees of the god often were surprised that the towering man had extensive religious knowledge and had a hand in running the chapel rather than just being a guard of it. There was a considerable amount of valuables inside, most of the reagents for the blessing of undeath where stored here. Sybille graciously provided ample funding for the security of the temple which usually was more than enough to deter even the most daring potential robbers.

Currently he was at the chapel’s stable, which was adjacent to the main complex. Most of the housing for the mounts was prepared for horses, but there were stalls for more exotic beasts as well. Mounts serving in undeath were kept in a separate area to prevent disrupting the living mounts. In addition to housing these mounts different kinds of animals were raised to be sacrifices. He took very good care of these indeed since he only wanted to offer blemish free animals, lest he incur Inuatia’s wrath. These were sometimes offered for sale to supplicants who brought in unfit animal sacrifices.

Just the other day a man brought in a goat suffering from blackleg. He insisted that it was perfectly healthy, I found it to be rather insulting, he probably thought I wouldn’t notice. Maybe he really didn’t know, but either way I had to point out the symptoms of the ailment and request that he either bring a different animal or buy an acceptable one. It took all Chaplain Dullahan could muster to not drag the man outside and beat him to a bloody pulp, but that’s how the old man would have handled the situation, now he had to try to think about how to best bring followers to Inuatia.

After tending to that duty he received notice that several large scale battles had been fought and won by Sybille and Eril. The chapel would soon be bustling with activity, and he didn’t think that he’d be getting much sleep anytime soon.

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-09, 11:55 AM
Just to let my followers know, theres a good chance I will die, become a mindless spawn and/or other within 24hrs RL time

ChaiGuy
2013-10-09, 12:04 PM
That's something I didn't see coming! >.>

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-09, 12:06 PM
I'm on my own against the big guy. My allies are fled or dead[ish]

Raunchel
2013-10-09, 12:39 PM
is there anything we can do to help?

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-09, 02:15 PM
No, this guy just walloped 2 gods in one turn, and has a titanic ary and an epic cohort to back him up. Not to mention the purple rain blocking divine spells of all kind. You can't even send me a prayer for good luck :smallfrown:. Fear not, if I die I shall rise again.

DawnRaven
2013-10-09, 03:55 PM
No, this guy just walloped 2 gods in one turn, and has a titanic ary and an epic cohort to back him up. Not to mention the purple rain blocking divine spells of all kind. You can't even send me a prayer for good luck :smallfrown:. Fear not, if I die I shall rise again.

Oh wow! Can the God of death even die?!

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-09, 03:57 PM
No, I'm not just a god. I'm a Lich god.
So only under very specific circumstances.

DawnRaven
2013-10-09, 04:12 PM
No, I'm not just a god. I'm a Lich god.
So only under very specific circumstances.

Even better. Then you can rally your forces and seek vicious victory over the unworthy murderers. Who dares defile our god! ...playing a zealot is fun <.<.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 06:34 AM
Exploration: Hex #48 is completely empty. You find nothing of any note. You do however find Orc tracks heading north.

Event at hex #15 (where you just defeated the Goblins).

Whoever is still in that hex cites 3 units of humans led by a man on foot in brilliant armor. The army seems disciplined and polished, with many bright white banners baring the mark of Sophia flying high.

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 06:39 AM
Exploration: Hex #48 is completely empty. You find nothing of any note. You do however find Orc tracks heading north.

Event at hex #15 (where you just defeated the Goblins).

Whoever is still in that hex cites 3 units of humans led by a man on foot in brilliant armor. The army seems disciplined and polished, with many bright white banners baring the mark of Sophia flying high.

The unit of kobold zombies led by the kobold leader (Wight?) would have been left behind.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 06:48 AM
All communication with the Kobold unit ceases. You know that it was engaged and destroyed on sight by the new-comers.

Raunchel
2013-10-10, 06:50 AM
When Sybille hears about this army she immediately gathers her army to lead them into battle. She also calls on Eril and the royal chaplain, Dullohan. They are to bring their forces with them, this is an act of war, and Sybille doesn't like invasions, unless she is doing the invading.

OOC: I intend to smash these upstarts with plenty of brute force.We are going to kill these punks, reanimate their bodies and then crush whoever sent them. Only the garrison forces will remain behind. If it is war they want they get an excessively bloody war, and cloudkills of course, don't forget about them.(Hey, I killed three units with one casting last battle), by the way, do I get xp for that one?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 06:54 AM
A white flag goes up - signal for parley.

"I would rather sit down and have a nice cup of tea and a chat about it down here" shouts the man in the shiny armor. "Would you mind ever so much?"

Two of the units are armed only with short swords and shields. The other unit - the main unit - appears to be wearing plate armor and carrying a strange polearm you have never before seen. It seems to work well with the specially designed shields they carry. Unlike the two basic units this unit appears to be quite elite.
A spellcaster - a cleric of Sophia you recognise her as - stands in the elite unite beside the leader.

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 07:02 AM
The Iron and Black Roses immediately wheel their units around and march back to the thorpe, prepared for utter war.

Matriarch, it's a little insulting for them to raise a flag of parlay after annihilating our new recruits. Especially when one was intelligent.

Raunchel
2013-10-10, 07:03 AM
"You are the invaders here, and a queen does not expose herself needlessly. Tell me why you attacked my realm, and how you intend to compensate me for the damage you caused?"

Crud, I edited my post because I hadn't seen your more recent posts, and now things are mismatched a bit. What sort of formation are they in?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 07:13 AM
"We simply encountered a lone unit of Kobold zombies was all. Did not realise they belonged to anyone. I am not all that fond of undead to be frank, but I can put that aside for a fellow Monarch." he responds, annoyingly cheerfully.

Raunchel
2013-10-10, 07:56 AM
"You might not like zombies, but that is no reason to attack them. How would you feel if I would just kill your men, without asking you first? They were mine. Now, I understand that some of the living are about as dull as the worst zombies, but I assume that you, as a ruler, would have the insight to not attack without first trying to find out who they were? They didn't hurt anyone, and you just destroyed them. Zombies are expensive, and require a significant investment in time. As well as the necessary raw materials of course, one needs bodies of sufficient quality for that. Now, how do you intend to repay me for the brutal slaughter of innocent zombies?"

Meanwhile the other wyverns form up around Sybille: "And don't mind these, they are my personal guard, and a queen requires her guard, doesn't she?"

Again I ask for their formation, wether they like it or not, these foul, living, creatures will py for what they did.

Sybille also bolsters the undead around her, she doesn't want them to get turned by some cleric. [roll0]

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 08:04 AM
They are formed into a single Cohort.

The man throws his arms up in the air. "Fine be like that then! But my Capital lies just to the west of here. We claim this region as part of our Kingdom in order to safeguard our capital." his cheeriness seems to be fading.

Raunchel
2013-10-10, 08:14 AM
"So be it then. You will pay the price for your insolence!"

Sybille casts Cloudkill, going through all the units. Her army then starts to advance towards the enemy. Depending on the outcome of the spell Sybille will withdraw, attack or just remain in place.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 08:20 AM
[roll0] against DC 20 to counterspell cloudkill.

Edit: Your spell is countered by the priestess.

With a wave the glamer hiding the rest of their forces is removed, revealing two halfling infantry units with small bows and spears on the left flank of the main force. It also reveals a well organised Cohort of Bowmen with the largest bows you have ever seen. The bowmen are armored and armed with light weapons as well, arranged in rows a square behind the main infantry block.

Bright white light bathes the enemy commander as he dons his shield and draws a celestial blade.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 08:24 AM
Command check for King roland init:

[roll0]

Raunchel
2013-10-10, 08:29 AM
Sybille flies back to her forces, as she planned to do, and they are formed up, the flanks consist of zombies, both goblin and human, the human units are led by members of the triad. One of the goblin units is led by the reanimated commander. More to the center are the skeletons commanded by the marquess and the chaplain(if he came), and in the middle of it all she placed Eril, leading her own unit.

Raunchel
2013-10-10, 08:34 AM
Oops, command check: [roll0]

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 08:34 AM
List all of the units you have in the battle and those with significant secunded characters. Assuming none are Cohorts etc. as you did not pay the RP cost to make them such.

Your front is 10 squares across. You have up to 3 squares deep to deploy (30 total). The Wyverns will be above you so dont need to count.

The map will be 10 squares by 18 squares, so 13 squares of space in between the two armies. I'll draw it up soon. But about to go to bed.

You also need to roll a command check. :smallsmile:

EDIT: You have to click back and then repost it else you just get [roll0]. lol.

Raunchel
2013-10-10, 08:40 AM
I see the error, here is the new command check, I will do the deployment when I have the time for it, which will be a bit later today. Then my champions can also have a say in strategy. Sybille is a bit of an airhead really, a powerful mage, but not much of an actual strategist.

[roll0]

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 08:43 AM
Wow.. you only won the roll by 1, which means we move 1 unit/group at a time...

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 08:45 AM
Map is here (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/Gaiyamato/media/battle-1.png.html) for now.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/Gaiyamato/battle-1.png

Raunchel
2013-10-10, 09:12 AM
Ok, we need a plan. My basic idea is to, well, rush them. Somehow they managed to counterspell my cloudkill, but I have one left for later. The problem is that they have good archers, and they will pincushion our best units, meaning the Black Thorn and the wyverns. We have to take them out. I could try to fly up towards them, and try another cloudkill. But this puts Sybille and the wyverns at quite a risk. But advancing under their fire will also hurt, badly. So, do you have any suggestions?

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 09:32 AM
Ok, we need a plan. My basic idea is to, well, rush them. Somehow they managed to counterspell my cloudkill, but I have one left for later. The problem is that they have good archers, and they will pincushion our best units, meaning the Black Thorn and the wyverns. We have to take them out. I could try to fly up towards them, and try another cloudkill. But this puts Sybille and the wyverns at quite a risk. But advancing under their fire will also hurt, badly. So, do you have any suggestions?

Eril's personal unit can use ranged attacks, just not as well as their melee. They hit pretty hard regardless though. She could try giving you some cover while the undead progress forward.

Also, how come all the NPC's have so many units already? D:

Raunchel
2013-10-10, 09:55 AM
I just saw something nice, the wyverns have a toughness of 32, and the order has 28. This means that their archers will have a very hard time hurting us. Sybille's zombie will join that unit, making five wyverns in one unit, a full unit then. They can hardly hurt them, unless they have a ranged power of something like twenty. So I can probably fly up to them for cloudkill, and of course some nice diving attacks. That should properly distract them while the infantry advances to overwhelm their troops. One of the big issues will be their king however, but he doesn't seem like a very great warrior, so we should be able to get him. I want a king as a servant...

Anyways, my idea so far is:
A front line, starting from the top left part of our deployment: Zombie goblins|Human zombies+triad member|skeletons+Ogre|You|Skeletons+chaplain|human zombies+triad member|Goblin zombies with me above them|Kobold zombies
The second line starts behind the human zombies, with first two units of goblin zombies and then two of our skeletons.

What do you think about this setup?

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 10:46 AM
You want Eril's tanks to spearhead the formation? If there is 13 squares between the armies thats..2 full moves. Archers have, usually a range of 2-4 squares. Eril's have a range of 3. I think since you can move one unit first you could use it to cloudkill again or buff using the wyverns, maybe flying toward them b ut staying out of the 3 square range of their weapons for now.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-10, 11:23 AM
I'm making some changes to my character skills after realizing that Command = warfare initiative. I'm also adding some of the details to it.

As for the enemy I'm worried about the cleric, she had a +18 dispell check. I'm guessing she cast greater dispell magic, meaning she would be at least lv 11. Regular dispell magic is capped at +10. I guess there could be feats or prestige class features that could incease dispell magic caster level? Another note, who cast the illusion spell, the cleric? I didn't know they had illusion magic, maybe she's a mystic theurge or some such?

I guess I don't have a big problem with the plan so far, that cleric though.

Here's a list of changes, I'll post the changed character sheet soon.

Total skill points and (total bonus): Climb 5R (4 st 4 items -4 AP has climb speed 1/day=9, 17 while with climb speed), command 8R (orders 10, tactics 9), Diplomacy 6R (8), Handle Animal 5R (7), Intimidate 5R (7), Jump 7R (9), Knowledge Religion 8R (9), Ride 5R (10, 6 for quick mount, note skill synergy), Swim 5R (see armor crystal swim speed=17 when required).
As a note his melee shows his bonus while raging. His carry load is also while raging.

Description: Eligor is a large muscular man standing at a towering 6’4”. He wears crimson spiked full plate with a helmet that has a large pair of horns. He wields a fearsome looking guisarme and carries a heavy longbow on his back. He rides a coal black steed.

Personality: Eligor is highly pragmatic, and is quite shrewd for one coming from a barbaric culture. He still reveres nature seeing undeath as an additional component to the circle of reincarnation life-death-undeath-life.

Contacts: Helps oversee the chapel of Inuatia, perhaps was converted to Inuatia’s service by Eril.

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 01:27 PM
Doesn't a caster have to specifically ready an action to counterspell something? If sybille went first, they wouldn't be able to.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-10, 01:29 PM
[
[roll0] against DC 20 to counterspell cloudkill.

Edit: Your spell is countered by the priestess.

With a wave the glamer hiding the rest of their forces is removed, revealing two halfling infantry units with small bows and spears on the left flank of the main force. It also reveals a well organised Cohort of Bowmen with the largest bows you have ever seen. The bowmen are armored and armed with light weapons as well, arranged in rows a square behind the main infantry block.

Bright white light bathes the enemy commander as he dons his shield and draws a celestial blade.
Amored with light weapons, like a shirt of daggers? They have strange ways over there! ;P

ChaiGuy
2013-10-10, 01:35 PM
Doesn't a caster have to specifically ready an action to counterspell something? If sybille went first, they wouldn't be able to.

The cleric was probably reading the action the whole time the 2 "leaders" where talking, just a guess though.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 06:52 PM
The cleric was probably reading the action the whole time the 2 "leaders" where talking, just a guess though.
Yep. :smallcool:
But she has another trick up her sleeve.
She is pretty much a caster-lock down. Normal dispel magic, but with feats and class features and items to bolster it as much as possible and allow her to ready more than 1 a round.

She did not cast the illusion spell. :smallwink:

Shady is the king of power gaming, I am the king of obscure non-homebrew ****.

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 09:51 PM
Gaiy, if Eril's unit forced a duel while she had Anya and her shadow companion with her, could she bring them into the duel with her? Unless Anya is secunding a unit, she's always by her sisters side. And the shadow is pretty much always taking 10 on hide checks to stay inside of Eril's actual shadow.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-10, 09:54 PM
No reason why a couple of characters at once could not duel another couple of characters. duels being duels generally means a 1 for 1 match though.

Raunchel
2013-10-11, 04:54 AM
So, a strong dispeller who will probably shut down Sybille's casting, a mage of some kind, with powerful illusion spells. Added to that one unit of elite infantry, and three elite archer units. I can fly up to them, spam some spells, and then dive from the air to gut the archers while the rest of us advances. But, the range on dispel magic is 3". I'm not entirely sure on the rules for dispelling, but basically she can counterspell if she prepared it, but only at the moment that I did cast the spell. So, if I cast cloudkill far enough away from the cleric, I can cast the cloud to appear closer to her, and to flow over their units. At least, I think that this is how it works. Otherwise I need another strategy.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-11, 07:32 AM
With the right levels in the right class a character can counterspell any spell cast anywhere on the battlefield, regardless of range. She is only limited in attempting to cast dispel magic on you directly. Roland is a caster also with counterspell ability, but he is short range, and only has a couple. So the closer you are the more counterspells they can bring to bear.
Counterspelling is not an action choice either, whereas casting a spell is an action choice. Meaning if you sit there casting they can counterspell and then move a unit/attack etc.

Raunchel
2013-10-11, 08:27 AM
So, that throws out the magic them to death option then. I hate counterspellers. So then it becomes a frontal attack I think. I will fly up to them, to attack their weak units from the air. If the archers show themselves as dangerous I will just fall back to a better position, otherwise Sybille's unit will be doing the traditional Nazgul attack. While she draws their fire the other units can then safely march to the enemy. Their elite infantry might be a problem, so we need our heaviest units hitting them, hopefully surrounding and killing all of them, especially that cleric. I hate her and want to turn her into a toy.

DawnRaven
2013-10-11, 10:13 AM
Their elite infantry might be a problem, so we need our heaviest units hitting them, hopefully surrounding and killing all of them, especially that cleric. I hate her and want to turn her into a toy.

agreed...also, that last statement makes me realize I picked the right ruler :D
Activate the wyverns first, then Eril's squad. Or if you want, we can force them to activate first meaning (hopefully) one of them will close the distance.

Counterspelling is not an action choice either, whereas casting a spell is an action choice. Meaning if you sit there casting they can counterspell and then move a unit/attack etc.

Is this something special with FoB? I didn't see any special rules about counterspell when I tried looking. I thought you always had to ready an action specifically to counterspell?

ChaiGuy
2013-10-11, 11:21 AM
Hopefully at this range the enemy will only be able to lock down one caster. Maybe if we activate the Ogre Mage before Sybille, the priestess will let whatever he casts slide fearing what Sybille could bring to bear. Maybe something that protects from the archers like protection for arrows? It’s hard to say since I’m not sure what he has memorized or available.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-11, 05:17 PM
Is this something special with FoB? I didn't see any special rules about counterspell when I tried looking. I thought you always had to ready an action specifically to counterspell?

An individual can ready a counterspell. But casting a spell in combat takes an action point. So a character Secunded to a unit can counterspell until the cows come home without penalty.

Raunchel
2013-10-12, 06:03 AM
So, they can counterspell freely then, so there goes the magic option. Therefor I think that our best option is to go for a direct attack, with Sybille harassing the archers from the air. They will have it hard to hurt her, and if the wyverns suffer losses she will simply raise them again after the battle. If she is the first to move, Roland will first activate some archers, to hit us from the air. They cannot really afford to break up their line, if they do we will easily flank their infantry. The elite infantry however does worry me, they seem strong, and I want to prevent unnecessary losses. Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with them without magic?

When they cast anything powerful Sybille will counterspell them, she has three dispel magics prepared, and has a decent caster level.

Other than that, do you agree with the deployment plan? We also have a third champion coming in, if he is here in time he will also get command of a unit.

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 06:48 AM
Sounds good to me.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-12, 11:13 AM
@ Gaiyamato: From Fields of Blood pg. 74 under INDIVIDUAL ACTIONS IN BATTLE “CAST SPELL An individual may cast one spell per turn. Casting a spell in combat is difficult; all casters must make a Concentration check at a DC of 10 plus the spell level.”

Here’s some clarification for the term “turn” FoB pg. 66 under Turn Sequence “Repeat: The activation phase alternates between players until all units have activated. When all units have acted or decided not to act, the next turn begins.” So a turn is the space of time from when the first unit activates to the last unit activates. As a side note it lasts one minute.

So unless “until the cows come home” means once a turn, sure.

Other than that the deployment plan sounds solid. As a note how is Sybille flying, I’m worried that it could be dispelled somehow leaving her vulnerable.

I can almost guarantee that we’ll suffer heavy losses, but aside from retreating or surrendering I don’t think it can be avoided. As a note, I’m not saying we should retreat or surrender, because of their religious devotion they probably would go out of their way to hunt us down if we retreated and would destroy all the undead if we surrendered at the very least.

Raunchel
2013-10-12, 11:53 AM
Good, then we go with the deployment plan. Sybille flies on a wyvern and that can't be dispelled. We can hit them with several spells per turn, one of us is bound to get through. By the way, what can the ogre cast?

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 12:07 PM
Good, then we go with the deployment plan. Sybille flies on a wyvern and that can't be dispelled. We can hit them with several spells per turn, one of us is bound to get through. By the way, what can the ogre cast?

From the SRD, ogre mages can use Cone of Cold at CL 9 so that's a 15 damage attack against one unit.
Edit: He can also use Darkness at will, perhaps he could drop it on one of the archers to prevent ranged attacks for a turn or two. Eril can use Desecrate, Bless and Darkness on her turn. Desecrate will probably help the most.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-12, 06:53 PM
@ Gaiyamato: From Fields of Blood pg. 74 under INDIVIDUAL ACTIONS IN BATTLE “CAST SPELL An individual may cast one spell per turn. Casting a spell in combat is difficult; all casters must make a Concentration check at a DC of 10 plus the spell level.”

Thanks, I keep forgetting that one. But most casters can pass a DC 13 Concentration check. lol.

Here’s some clarification for the term “turn” FoB pg. 66 under Turn Sequence “Repeat: The activation phase alternates between players until all units have activated. When all units have acted or decided not to act, the next turn begins.” So a turn is the space of time from when the first unit activates to the last unit activates. As a side note it lasts one minute.
Yep.

So unless “until the cows come home” means once a turn, sure.
Readied counterspell actions are a little different, but either ay they can counterspell twice a 'turn' (3 at close range) and you guys can cast only twice a 'turn' not counting the ogre who has very limited spells.

Other than that the deployment plan sounds solid. As a note how is Sybille flying, I’m worried that it could be dispelled somehow leaving her vulnerable.

I can almost guarantee that we’ll suffer heavy losses, but aside from retreating or surrendering I don’t think it can be avoided. As a note, I’m not saying we should retreat or surrender, because of their religious devotion they probably would go out of their way to hunt us down if we retreated and would destroy all the undead if we surrendered at the very least.
King Roland is a little more reasonable than that. But yes, a surrender would not go well for you.

Roland and his men appear to drop down to one knee and be praying in unison to the Goddess Sophia in preparation for the battle. When they are done they raise themselves up and stand quietly to attention.

EDIT: The battlefield gains consecrate (CL20 Divine - you need Divine Ranks to dispel it, though a desecrate spell will cancel both of them out for a short while). Roland and his unit gain Shield of Faith (+5 AC) (CL20) on top of the existing Herosim (CL 12), Holy Sword (CL 12) [the entire melee Cohort have these] and a Dispelling Mantle (CL 12 - auto-counterspells the first spell to target the unit/cohort).

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 10:23 PM
...wow what the hell?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-12, 10:40 PM
Sophia answered his prayers.

As your army starts to form up Roland calls out "You can still back down and we can talk this out you know chaps!". White light streaming from his eyes and his body surrounded by white and golden halos.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-12, 11:28 PM
Oh bother, I guess we'll have to pray to Inuatia for help, and if he cannot send aid we'll have to negotiate or retreat.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-12, 11:33 PM
All Sophia did was balance things a bit more evenly is all. lol.
It's a dead even fight right now. But you guys still have a slight upper hand with all the spellcasting and the fact you out-number them by so much.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-12, 11:42 PM
I guess I’ll stick around and see what happens. I would imagine that at best it will be a battle where we lose so much that the victory will be hollow. I’m glad I’m not a ruler now, I’ll just go with the flow and if we all die I guess we all die.

Raunchel
2013-10-13, 06:49 AM
Crap, this certainly is annoying. Our spells are useless and now they also have much more powerful mêlee than we do. If we retreat they will simply pursue and do the same thing again, and we will still suffer huge losses. We really need divine backup here, so I propose praying as hard as we can to Inautia. That, ; or we have to find another way to power up. Any suggestions?

It seems that we lost Eril due to divine intervention. Which further complicates this whole affair. So, we also have another free place to fill up. Peace never was an option with these people, they invaded us and hate undead, I tried to talk to them, only asking compensation for what they did to us, which only is reasonable. If we had backed down they would simply have attacked again, but when we were weaker, due to the loss of this Thorpe. If the battle goes really wrong we can always put our champions on the when's, go home for the treasury and build a new army in another place. But first we pray for lits of divine backup.

DawnRaven
2013-10-13, 07:40 AM
I'll stick around until the end of the fight so you don't lose her assistance. Just get frustrated (incredibly) easily, as Chai can attest to. Perhaps Inautia will help, otherwise we probably won't win this.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-13, 07:47 AM
They only have 1 good unit. Aside from the bows the bowmen hold the rest is crap. If you cast desecrate it still cancels the consecrate. You just cannot get a battle-field wide desecrate is all.

You also still outnumber them a lot, have flying units and the ogre mage himself.
I still put the odds at less than 3:1 that Roland can even survive this let alone win.

Raunchel
2013-10-13, 08:32 AM
Then we pray, and then we kill them for this insult.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-13, 08:58 AM
A divine eye watches the battle.

(but doesn't do anything else of note. :smalltongue:)

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-13, 09:38 AM
A divine voice to all those who pray: I am sorry, but I cannot interfere. I only hope my herald will make it in time

Chilingsworth
2013-10-13, 10:53 AM
For what it's worth, Sophia is trying to encourage Roland to retreat and join another group of her followers elsewhere, taking as many of his people with him as possible. Also, she's trying to get him to not harm any more of you guys (remember, she has nothing against undead as such, and definitely nothing against Inautia)

Raunchel
2013-10-13, 11:41 AM
"Our enemies might have more direct divine backing, but we have a greater army, and Inautia will not abandon us. We will destroy these abominations, and return them to a better state, a state of servitude and death. Advance, and show these murderers no mercy!", Sybille declares as she takes to the sky. The army starts to move, the first to advance are her own wyverns, she leads them to the southwest, from where she intends to attack the enemy.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-13, 03:10 PM
Ok on the battle map give me your placements. Squares are labeled A-R from the left and 1 to 10 top to bottom.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 03:37 AM
The wyverns use a double move to go to A5. And Sybille casts scare on the archers under her.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 03:41 AM
List all of your deployment first though dude so I can make up the map. Though I will note the Wyverns as your first action point.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 03:57 AM
It took me a bit of time to fully grasp the rules, but this should work, and if they dispel, well, I have more spell slots remaining.Otherwise it is one unit less of archers.

Deployment:

P1: Zombie goblins
P2: Human zombies+triad member
P3: skeletons+Ogre
P4: The Order
P5: Skeletons+chaplain
P6: human zombies+triad member
P7: Goblin zombies/zombie wyverns+Sybille
P8: Kobold zombies
Q2: goblin zombies
Q3: Skeletons
Q4: Skeletons
Q5: goblin zombies

Turn 1 positions:
zombie wyverns+Sybille moved to D1 and cast scare on the unit in A3.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 04:29 AM
You need to make a DC 11 Concentration check. I will assume you have at least a +11 bonus though?

I have no choice but to counter-spell that with my good caster. Concentration bonus is higher than DC.
[roll0] DC 20

If the spell fails will save (what DC?) against spell.
[roll1] Will Save

Break test if will save fails (at -2), fail and they will do nothing other than flee for the rest of the battle.
[roll2]

Was all good either way. :smallbiggrin:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 04:34 AM
Action point activate entire Bowman company as single action.

Normal Ranged attack on wyverns. Command Check 0. Pass.

[roll0] to hit wyvern AC [roll1] to wound wyvern toughness.
[roll2] to hit wyvern AC [roll3] to wound wyvern toughness.
[roll4] to hit wyvern AC [roll5] to wound wyvern toughness.

All fail to hit or wound.

Your action while I get the map uploaded.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/Gaiyamato/battle-2.png

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 04:35 AM
Yes, my concentration is good enough for that, and now they have one less counterspell to be used when we use real magic.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 04:39 AM
Yep. Down to 4 now. Scare is a seriously nasty spell in FoB too btw. Wow..

Also map included in the spoiler above.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 05:03 AM
The zombie goblins from P1 advande to D1 using a double move.

Current positions:
D1: Zombie goblins/zombie wyverns+Sybille
P2: Human zombies+triad member
P3: skeletons+Ogre
P4: The Order
P5: Skeletons+chaplain
P6: human zombies+triad member
P7: Goblin zombies/
P8: Kobold zombies
Q2: goblin zombies
Q3: Skeletons
Q4: Skeletons
Q5: goblin zombies

Turn 1 positions:
1) zombie wyverns+Sybille moved to D1 and cast scare on the unit in A3.
2) zombie goblins from P1 march to D1 using a double move.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 05:34 AM
Main Cohort implements shield Wall Command check DC 10

Auto succeed.

Roland readies a counter spell action.

your move.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 05:42 AM
The zombies from P2 advance to D2.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 05:47 AM
Halflings "Don't fire until you see the eldritch glow of their eyes" DC 10:

[roll0]

Then you may move everything else.

When you are done I will upload the next version of the map for you.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 05:58 AM
The whole army advances forwards to the enemy.
Scrap this
Current positions:
D1: Zombie goblins/zombie wyverns+Sybille
D2: Human zombies+triad member
D3: skeletons+Ogre
D4: The Order
D5: Skeletons+chaplain
D6: human zombies+triad member
D7: Goblin zombies/
D8: Kobold zombies
E2: goblin zombies
E3: Skeletons
E4: Skeletons
E5: goblin zombies

Actions
2) zombie goblins from P1 march to D1 using a double move.
3) The whole rest advances maximally, taking up position by the rest of the army. The ogre casts darkness on a javelin and throws it towards the archers on A3. The triad doesn't cast anything(they can't) and the champions obviously get to choose what they cast themselves.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 06:00 AM
HOLD IT!

Zombie units may only form partial actions, cannot run or double move.
They can only move a single move OR attack with a standard melee attack.

So your zombie units can only make it to J column this turn, then D next turn, the move into melee the following turn, then attack on turn 4.

EDIT: Darkness in FoB must be centered on a unit you control or on the location the caster is currently standing in. Also need to pass a DC 12 concentration check to cast it.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 06:04 AM
Oops, I completely forgot about that.

So here we go again, now with 50% less movement:

Current positions:
D1: zombie wyverns+Sybille
J1: Zombie goblins
J2: Human zombies+triad member
J3: skeletons+Ogre
J4: The Order
J5: Skeletons+chaplain
J6: human zombies+triad member
J7: Goblin zombies/
J8: Kobold zombies
K2: goblin zombies
K3: Skeletons
K4: Skeletons
K5: goblin zombies

Actions
2) zombie goblins from P1 march to J1 using a double move.
3) The whole rest advances maximally, taking up position by the rest of the army. The ogre casts darkness on an arrow and launches it towards the archers in A3.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 06:07 AM
Forgot the Zombie rules myself. :smalltongue:
lol

The Skeletons can move normally if you like.
Also note the rules for Darkness in FoB as I mentioned above.

EDIT: Also unless you moved the Wyverns to D4 still your Scare spell is out of range. 2+ 1 for every 5 caster levels. = 3" range.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 06:09 AM
Then it will be centered on the ogre's unit. What is his caster level?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 06:12 AM
Cast level is 9th.

Also

EDIT: Also unless you moved the Wyverns to D4 still your Scare spell is out of range. 2+ 1 for every 5 caster levels. = 3" range.

So you must move to at least E4 with the Wyverns.

Cool i see you fixed it. :smallsmile:

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 06:16 AM
I missed that when editing, I still want her there so she can use the next turn to swoop the archers. And she actually has 4" range, she did level to 10 after convincing the ogre to join, but got no experience for killing the goblins.

Caster level test: [roll0]

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 06:17 AM
Ahh no worries.

Whats the caster level check for?

EDIT: Also that Ogre mage has +15 concentration checks. so he passes with every spell he casts anyway. Everyone does so lets just ignore them for the rest of the battle.

The other two have spells to cast if they can make the range (which I don't think they can unless they are buff spells), then we roll command checks again.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 06:19 AM
Oops, I meant concentration for the ogre mage, but for some reason I confused it with caster level, I really need more sleep. If he is a normal MM ogre mage his concentration will be +11, so he should easily pass it, if not, I'd love to know which other spells he can use.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 06:21 AM
He has 4 levels of Dread Necromancer as well (on top of the Ogre mage).

Roland's Command check for turn 2:
[roll0]

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 06:24 AM
Command: [roll0]

And this time I lost by one. By the way, how will we deal with Eril's spellcasting from last turn?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 06:27 AM
the only spell Eril has that is in range and can do anything worthy of a counter-spell is Desecrate. I would only attempt to counterspell that. If he does not cast it then it does not matter, we can retroactively add it in.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 06:28 AM
OK, then Roland goes first.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 06:30 AM
Halflings are holding with previous turn's orders.

Archers will fire into the Order of the Ebon Rose now that they are only -1 RAB range away for the bowmen

[roll0] to hit AC 18 [roll1] to wound Toughness 28
[roll2] to hit AC 18 [roll3] to wound Toughness 28
[roll4] to hit AC 18 [roll5] to wound Toughness 28

HUZZAH! Half the Ebon Rose are wiped out! -1 Wound!

Your move.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 06:34 AM
Map for end of turn 1

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/Gaiyamato/battle-4.png

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 06:38 AM
Sybille leads the wyverns to swoop down onto the central unit of archers

Command DC 10(swoop): [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

During this attack Sybille casts scare on the archers in A3, her concentration is high enough to cast automatically.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 06:45 AM
Half of the archers are killed from the swoop attack (what square do you finish in?).

Roland auto-counterspells by losing his prepared Scare counterspell.

My turn. Main unit holds it's shields in place for +4AC. No change, auto success.
Roland readies another counterspell using dispel magic this time.

You may now move everything else. I have no more actions.

NOTE: Consecrate is still in effect. All undead still have -1MAB and -1 Melee Power.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 07:16 AM
Sybille ended right above the archers she just swooped down on. These archers should now also take a morale check because they suffered a point of damage. This morale check is at -2 due to the wyvern's shock factor, if I understand the morale rules correctly.

The rest of the army advances again. The skeletons and the order charge into melee. During the charge the ogre casts scare on the unit directly in front of him. The rear skeletons advance to join the rest in their attack, and are joined by the triad members who abandon their zombie units.

Current positions:
A4: zombie wyverns+Sybille
D1: Zombie goblins
D2: Human zombies
C3: skeletons+Ogre
C4: The Order
C5: Skeletons+chaplain
D6: human zombies
D7: Goblin zombies/
D8: Kobold zombies
E2: goblin zombies
C2: Skeletons+triad member
C6: Skeletons+triad member
E5: goblin zombies

Actions
1) zombie wyverns+Sybille swooped down on the unit in A4 and cast scare on the unit in A3. She automatically passes the concentration test.
2) The whole rest of the army advances, now to the D-line. I don't know what Eril will cast, but the ogre casts scare on the melee unit in B3. He will again automatically pass his concentration test, dc 20 versus his +15. All the skeleton units charge to reach melee, and the triad members leave the zombies to join skeletons in combat.

C2 skeletons: Attack: [roll0], damage: [roll1]
C3 skeletons: [roll2], damage: [roll3]
C6 skeletons: Attack: [roll4], damage: [roll5]

I didn't roll the attacks for the order and the chaplain's unit, they are other people's troops right now. If the scare spell drives away the frontline warriors the skeletons push on to attack the archers and the ogre's unit will attack the king's. The other normal skeleton unit attacks the halflings in front of them.

Ooh, nice, good rolls.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 07:17 AM
You are correct:

[roll0] DC 10

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 07:19 AM
And command roll for next turn, which won't come up until the champions have posted.[roll0]

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 07:22 AM
Countering the scare.
[roll0] DC 20

Halflings using "DFUYStEGoTE" against c6

[roll1] to hit against skeleton 6 [roll2] to wound
[roll3] to hit against skeleton 6 [roll4] to wound

Do nothing.

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 07:25 AM
Against skeletons power is halved when using slashing or piercing weapons, so I think that the skeletons will have made it there safely. I just saw that when looking at their entry, and I love that ability. I need more skeletons.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 07:25 AM
The top unit of conscript infantry is completely over-run and destroyed. No units can move to exploit though yet.

Morale check for Archers:

[roll0] DC 10
[roll1] DC 10
[roll2] DC 10

Footmen unit
[roll3] DC 10
Other Conscripts
[roll4] DC 10

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 07:26 AM
Against skeletons power is halved when using slashing or piercing weapons, so I think that the skeletons will have made it there safely. I just saw that when looking at their entry, and I love that ability. I need more skeletons.

Totally. Skeletons kick ass. No partial moves and halve power against them for just about everything... You still have -1 MAB and -1 Power though from consecrate spell.

So your C2 unit only got a hit of 23.. but the AC of the conscripts was 22.. GRRRRR...

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 07:29 AM
And now we wait to see what the champion's units do.

DawnRaven
2013-10-14, 09:20 AM
And now we wait to see what the champion's units do.

If Sybille is leading the battle, she decides which unit to activate when. I'm assuming Eril's already got activated and moved or the archers couldn't have reached her (being as its 10" away).

Raunchel
2013-10-14, 09:24 AM
In the first turn every infantry unit moved 6", in the second one the skeletons and the order charged. If there were any spells that you wanted to cast in the first turn they will be retconned in, and for the second turn you can still cast before the melee starts and you get to hit their king. And if I may make suggestions for your casting, I think that magic circle against good would be useful, as would desecrate or bless. The more of their counterspells we go through the better, when they are gone Sybille will be able to cast her best spells.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-14, 10:27 AM
C5 Skeletons and Chaplain Dullahan, please adjust the roles if needed
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

DawnRaven
2013-10-14, 03:44 PM
In the first turn every infantry unit moved 6", in the second one the skeletons and the order charged. If there were any spells that you wanted to cast in the first turn they will be retconned in, and for the second turn you can still cast before the melee starts and you get to hit their king. And if I may make suggestions for your casting, I think that magic circle against good would be useful, as would desecrate or bless. The more of their counterspells we go through the better, when they are gone Sybille will be able to cast her best spells.

Round 1: Eril will cast Desecrate.
Round 2: Eril will cast magic circle vs. good.

I would suggest having the Ogre Mage cast Cone of cold or something else so we can try to draw out more counterspells since there are a lot.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 04:32 PM
Also for the record. Archers can fire at 10x their range away.
So my archers have a range of 5" with the first step to 9" only giving a -1RAB.
They could fire up to 43" away with a -17RAB if they wanted to.. lol.

C5 skeleton misses.

Desecrate is countered. (2 remaining for the cleric, 2 remaining for Roland - but he sucks at them)
I will let magic circle go.

Attack with the Order then we go for round 3:
[roll0]

lol. win by 1.

DawnRaven
2013-10-14, 04:58 PM
Is it possible to deal damage and try and force a duel with a unit at the same time? The Sisters and the Ebon Thorn will do that, if possible. If not, they just attack.
Attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 05:00 PM
No you need to attempt to force a duel or attack.
Your attack misses in both counts anyway, their shield wall stops you.

DawnRaven
2013-10-14, 05:01 PM
No you need to attempt to force a duel or attack.
Your attack misses in both counts anyway, their shield wall stops you.

They have an ability that just nullifies attacks?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 05:04 PM
No, you just failed to beat their AC.
Trying to force a duel is at -4MAB. But even without that you just missed, 1 more and you would have hit and wounded them.

They currently have +4AC from shield wall on top of the +5AC from Shield of Faith.

DawnRaven
2013-10-14, 05:06 PM
No, you just failed to beat their AC.
Trying to force a duel is at -4MAB. But even without that you just missed, 1 more and you would have hit and wounded them.

They currently have +4AC from shield wall on top of the +5AC from Shield of Faith.

Wow..so have to roll a 16 or higher to hit.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 05:07 PM
Well until next turn when you will only need a 12 or higher.
Shield wall is a formation that only lasts until the unit attacks.
Which they are about to do after I drop my kids off at school and get back to the office. lol.

DawnRaven
2013-10-14, 05:09 PM
Well until next turn when you will only need a 12 or higher.
Shield wall is a formation that only lasts until the unit attacks.
Which they are about to do after I drop my kids off at school and get back to the office. lol.

Phew, that's reassuring! I need to re-read some of the rules. There's way too many actions for FoB combat. I think Eril's unit could have avoided the ranged damage if they had known to shield wall or turtle or something.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 05:14 PM
There is an action that allows a unit to make a normal move with their shields up. Helps to stop archery.

I am pretty sure we are done with that round of combat aren't we?

Stormageddon
2013-10-14, 05:24 PM
I'm around if you need a merchant warrior for something! :)����;-);-)

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 05:29 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/Gaiyamato/battle-5.png

Red dot denotes having suffered a wound.

DawnRaven
2013-10-14, 06:52 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/Gaiyamato/battle-5.png

Red dot denotes having suffered a wound.

..I vastly under-estimated how many units we had.

Edit: Oh! Oh! Eril's attack hit! She gets an extra +1 MAB because her unit has the Crusading Subtype and they are of a different alignment than the enemy!

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah.. Crusading!!

So Roland's Unit just took a hit!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-14, 07:30 PM
A Voice booms over the field of battle:

Let This Bloodshed Cease! My People, Come To Your Promised Land!

There is a blinding flash of light. When your vision clears Roland and all his people are nowhere to be seen.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 07:48 PM
A sickly green light rises from the ground, trapping Roland as his army and all of his people are instantly transported away to some far off place by Sophia.

"Oh shi...." Roland's face drains of all colour. "I surrender!!!" he quickly shouts out, raising his weapon where it can be seen.

In the distance to the north a hooded figure darts away into the forests and vanishes.

Stormageddon
2013-10-14, 09:56 PM
lol! I guess when a god strongly suggests something you should listen!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-14, 10:04 PM
Actually, Sophia intended to send Roland with his people. She didn't want anyone else to die (or be destroyed, as the case may be.)

Chilingsworth
2013-10-14, 10:53 PM
My faithful. It was not my will that you be left behind. It was because of interference from the Vile One that this was so. It took all I had to prevent his intervention from being worse yet. Know that your people at least are safe. It is my hope that the people of Arnil show you mercy. But hold no ill will towards their patron. He is no foe of mine. It saddens me that conflict came between your peoples.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-14, 10:56 PM
Roland nods to the message from his Goddess. "I guess this land is yours then." he says out loud to the forces before him.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 03:27 AM
Sybille was about to attack the king when the battle is ended suddenly. She is angry, these people were gooing to serve her, and not they have been taken from her. She declares: "Disarm and bind him, I will speak to him when all the dead have been raised here."

"Chaplain, Eril, I would request you to lead the army to the lands that once were this man's, take them in our name. And liberate our domain from this taint. Take half the army to achieve this task. Master Black, if you would want to, please accompany them to investigate the mercantile opportunities of these lands."

The plan is to kill him tonight, Sybille made a promise and she will keep him. Added to that she utterly hates the man for what he did, and for what Sophia did. She wanted his army, and now there is nothing.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 04:06 AM
"I shall not surrender myself to you. You have the lands, and the satisfaction that my forces shall no longer concern you. But I shall depart from here or you shall be forced to kill or incapacitate me, your majesty."

Fair call. Also is there anyone of the characters who have a non-evil alignment?
Else no one can pick his gear up. lol.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 04:17 AM
"Then kill him, but bring the body and all the equipment on the field to me."

I assume that a whole bunch swarming him will kill the king with little trouble.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 04:33 AM
I could convert him to a unit, he would be pretty crap. But all of his personal spell effects are up, your undead don't even stand a chance of touching him and he has a souped up Celestial blade. He would cut them down like wheat. It would take a character to kill him.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 05:10 AM
So, if I'm not mistaken, he still has all these nice buffs, including a dispelling cloak and +5 ac, which comes from a goddess and can't be dispelled(DC 31 is next to impossible to beat for us). We also can't hit him with our troops, and he is a powerful melee combatant, making him a hard target. Luckily Holy sword lasts only for 12 rounds, which in FOB go by quite quickly.(1 turn basically, so we no longer have to worry about that one) Because the highest level spell is that powerful we also can't dispel the rest. So basically, this guy can tear an entire army apart on his own. If only we had archers, then we could have pincushioned him to death.

So, he has a touch ac of 15, making ranged touch attacks a bit difficult, and his melee power means that Slay Living isn't really an option, unfortunately. So, we have to go for another way of doing things. Any suggestions? Sybille's spells aren't really helpful here, unfortunately. Either way, I can't really expose Sybille to him, she isn't very strong defensively. I could try using Hold Person, but he'll probably save against it. But if he fails he will die. Otherwise, I can spam enervation until he falls over. Does anyone else have better ideas?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-15, 05:15 AM
Umm, how does one of his buffs being hard to dispel make dispelling the rest of them difficult?:smallconfused:

If you roll a targeted dispel, you roll against all magical effects on the target. If you roll an area dispel, you keep rolling until you get one, or run out of effects.

Unless FoB changes this?

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 05:24 AM
I was confused with the area dispel rules there, so I can actually dispel the heroism and the like, they have a dc of 'only' 23, being CL 12. So that will be the first order of bussiness for Sybille, a targeted dispel from the air. There is no need to actually get close, right? Unless of course someone has better ideas.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 06:09 AM
Yep you can dispel from where you are.
we are using D&D rules for the time being anyway.

Pretty sure the Holy Sword would have run out by now.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 06:13 AM
Then we go for a targeted dispel on Roland:

Shield of Faith (+5 AC) (CL20): [roll0]
Heroism (CL 12): [roll1]
Dispelling Mantle (CL 12)(I actually don't know this one, where can I find it?) [roll2]

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 06:15 AM
You get the dispelling mantle. It's a spell I pulled out of a very obscure book.
DC to get rid of the mantle was 15..

Roland is a Merchant Prince. He is just buffed with his gear and spells is all.
Think Wizard, but without most of the magical power and some levels in Aristocrat. That is Roland.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 06:19 AM
Then we go in for the kill, Sybille casts Hold Person from the air.(DC 19). If this fails she will simply do it again(yay for having two prepared), otherwise she will cut his throat, with him being helpless that should be easy then. If both fail we will have to use other means to get rid of him.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 06:20 AM
Will save
[roll0]

Failed. :smallfrown:

Well he is helpless now. You could disarm him and tie him up or just kill him.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 06:21 AM
Sybille comes lower, and her wyvern delivers a coup de grace.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 06:25 AM
Oops, I forgot the damage roll: [roll0]

And a to hit-roll should it be necessary: [roll1]

If this isn't enough the other wyverns will charge as well.

To hit 1: [roll2], damage 1: [roll3]
To hit 2: [roll4], damage 2: [roll5]
To hit 3: [roll6], damage 3: [roll7]
To hit 4: [roll8], damage 4: [roll9]

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 07:00 AM
Hm..perhaps we could use the king as a bargaining ch-- Eril cuts off as the wyvern tears out the man's throat. Oh, Nevermind, Matriarch. The Goddess will not be pleased by this turn. Do you want us to march on his kingdom now that it has no leadership and request surrender?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 07:01 AM
Roland dies, his flesh torn to pieces by the Wyverns, unable to defend himself.

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 07:01 AM
So, if I'm not mistaken, he still has all these nice buffs, including a dispelling cloak and +5 ac, which comes from a goddess and can't be dispelled(DC 31 is next to impossible to beat for us). We also can't hit him with our troops, and he is a powerful melee combatant, making him a hard target. Luckily Holy sword lasts only for 12 rounds, which in FOB go by quite quickly.(1 turn basically, so we no longer have to worry about that one) Because the highest level spell is that powerful we also can't dispel the rest. So basically, this guy can tear an entire army apart on his own. If only we had archers, then we could have pincushioned him to death.

So, he has a touch ac of 15, making ranged touch attacks a bit difficult, and his melee power means that Slay Living isn't really an option, unfortunately. So, we have to go for another way of doing things. Any suggestions? Sybille's spells aren't really helpful here, unfortunately. Either way, I can't really expose Sybille to him, she isn't very strong defensively. I could try using Hold Person, but he'll probably save against it. But if he fails he will die. Otherwise, I can spam enervation until he falls over. Does anyone else have better ideas?

Nah, pretty sure that between Eril's finger darts, her summoned shadows and her shadow cohort she could drop him in a few rounds of Str damage. Unless he was immune to it.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 07:02 AM
Yeah 1v1 Eril would have pasted him. Roland was all show and no substance.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 07:11 AM
There is no kill like overkill. He will be raised obviously, but just like the other dead, only when we are outof this battlefield. Then we march to take his kingdom. By the way, who wants his sword? Otherwise we will have to sell it somehow. And in the same vein, what is our loot(also in bodies) and xp?

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 07:35 AM
There is no kill like overkill. He will be raised obviously, but just like the other dead, only when we are outof this battlefield. Then we march to take his kingdom. By the way, who wants his sword? Otherwise we will have to sell it somehow. And in the same vein, what is our loot(also in bodies) and xp?

Depends on what it is. What are you going to raise him as? I'm not sure, but if you have Revoke undead or some other way of controlling undead, couldn't we pray to Inautai to have him raised as a more powerful undead than we can create?

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 07:38 AM
I have rebuke undead and command undead, so we could try that. He had some sort of Celestial sword, and it was mentioned that you had to be nonevil to use it.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 08:21 AM
His equipment:

Frystaline Celestial Blade of Holyness + Crystal of return, least

Mithral Scale Mail +1, Empyreal, Twilight, Commader +Restful Crystal

Mithral Heavy Steel Shield +1, Angelic, Twilight

The only other things he has is his spellbook, component pouch and his Royal outfit and 80gp.

Everything else was transported away by Sophia - even the conscript corpses and their gear.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 08:31 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

With that outof the way, we basically lost quite a bit just for one undead servant. The next time we wage war we really have to get more divine backup.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 08:52 AM
We are working on more structured rules for the Gods. Interference should become less common. Next question is, what sort of undead to make him into?
Can any of you change his alignment though? Because I can assure you that it will take some time to shift his alignment from Lawful Good, and he will always worship Sophia. You will need to alter his alignment magically and then get him to "fall".

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 09:00 AM
Well, I always assumed that if we raise him as some kind of undead he would become evil. So I assume that I am wrong there. So, does anyone know how to accomplish making him not-good enough to serve us, and to no longer worship Sophia?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-15, 09:15 AM
Well Rebuke/control will still give you control.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 09:17 AM
Then we do that. Unfortunately the best spell I have is create undead at CL 10, and that gives me at most a ghoul, but we can always ask for divine help to get something better.

Stormageddon
2013-10-15, 10:07 AM
Sybille was about to attack the king when the battle is ended suddenly. She is angry, these people were gooing to serve her, and not they have been taken from her. She declares: "Disarm and bind him, I will speak to him when all the dead have been raised here."

"Chaplain, Eril, I would request you to lead the army to the lands that once were this man's, take them in our name. And liberate our domain from this taint. Take half the army to achieve this task. Master Black, if you would want to, please accompany them to investigate the mercantile opportunities of these lands."

The plan is to kill him tonight, Sybille made a promise and she will keep him. Added to that she utterly hates the man for what he did, and for what Sophia did. She wanted his army, and now there is nothing.

Yes mistress. I'm sure that this scums lands will be rich in opportunities. He was know as a great business man I'll be glad to relieve them of their resources.

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 10:12 AM
His equipment:

The only other things he has is his spellbook, component pouch and his Royal outfit and 80gp.

Everything else was transported away by Sophia - even the conscript corpses and their gear.

Eril, however, isn't evil and could use the armor and shield. However, other than empyreal it doesn't give her much and wouldn't offer much more to Eligor. So we may as well sell it. Likewise with the shield. Anya is evil and can't use it and bth Eril & Eligor use 2 handed weapons.

What's the holyness descriptor do? Anya is evil but may be able to use it?

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-15, 10:20 AM
Then we do that. Unfortunately the best spell I have is create undead at CL 10, and that gives me at most a ghoul, but we can always ask for divine help to get something better.

I'll be there as soon as the two week debate on the ruling system and laws of the gods is over

Stormageddon
2013-10-15, 10:27 AM
His equipment:

Mr. Black would probably want the spellbook. Might be something good in their for him. Anything else people don't want he could probably find a buyer to sell to.

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 10:28 AM

We could pray to Inautia to bring him back as a mummy or a shadow. Either, I believe, would change his alignment to evil. We could then either convince him to join with diplomacy (Anyone even have that?) or command him.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-15, 10:45 AM
We could pray to Inautia to bring him back as a mummy or a shadow. Either, I believe, would change his alignment to evil. We could then either convince him to join with diplomacy (Anyone even have that?) or command him.

OOC: Chaplain Dullahan has a bit of diplomacy, with a total of +8 to the check.

OOC: King Roland, I was kind of hoping to suggest that we have him sign a formal surrender of his kingdom. He kind of said as much, in an informal way. I guess we could use the new improved undead Roland to do that though. ;P

Edit Equipment: The crystals might come in handy the returning weapon would be cool for Eligor's Guisarme. He already has an armor crystal, but the restful crystal might help someone.

Stormageddon
2013-10-15, 11:02 AM
OOC: Chaplain Dullahan has a bit of diplomacy, with a total of +8 to the check.

OOC: King Roland, I was kind of hoping to suggest that we have him sign a formal surrender of his kingdom. He kind of said as much, in an informal way. I guess we could use the new improved undead Roland to do that though. ;P

Edit Equipment: The crystals might come in handy the returning weapon would be cool for Eligor's Guisarme. He already has an armor crystal, but the restful crystal might help someone.

My second, Mr. Dorn, could forge a surrender agreement. Forger +11. We will know what his hand writing looks like through his spellbook.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-15, 11:54 AM
My second, Mr. Dorn, could forge a surrender agreement. Forger +11. We will know what his hand writing looks like through his spellbook.

It seems like Mr. Dorn's abilities could be quite useful for this.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-15, 12:02 PM

I would vote for vampire, it's looking like Divine intervention is looking less likely though. Not that that is a huge loss though, shrug.

Edit:

I would vote for vampire, it's looking like Divine intervention is looking less likely though. Not that that is a huge loss though, shrug.

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-15, 12:03 PM

If you wait, I'll be there.

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 12:10 PM

Storm. I love the way you think.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-15, 12:12 PM
You know, this all begs the question: Are undead inherently evil in this setting? I've been going with no. Also, for what it's worth, Sophia assigns minimal blame for Roland's death to you guys. She assigns the lion's share of it to the Vile God. Also, the failure to prevent conflict was partially his. If you had left him alive, she might even have encouraged him to work with you, to help repair some of the damage the conflict caused. If you raise him as a sentient undead, she'd still accept him as a worshiper if he so wished, so long as he didn't willingly feed on sapient creatures against their will.

Oh, and the realm of Eliar has effectively been dissolved, so a surrender document wouldn't be all that useful.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-15, 01:28 PM
You know, this all begs the question: Are undead inherently evil in this setting? I've been going with no. Also, for what it's worth, Sophia assigns minimal blame for Roland's death to you guys. She assigns the lion's share of it to the Vile God. Also, the failure to prevent conflict was partially his. If you had left him alive, she might even have encouraged him to work with you, to help repair some of the damage the conflict caused. If you raise him as a sentient undead, she'd still accept him as a worshiper if he so wished, so long as he didn't willingly feed on sapient creatures against their will.

Oh, and the realm of Eliar has effectively been dissolved, so a surrender document wouldn't be all that useful.
I kind of think a forged surrender document would still be cool to have, even if it doesn't have a mechanical effect. Nice role play fluff IMO.

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-15, 01:55 PM
With a flash, Inautia arrives next to Eril.
I apologise for the wait, my companions. I had significant business to attend to. So, you require me to create a powerful undead.
I could create any of several. A wraith, a spectre, a ghoul. Perhaps even a devourer. Do you wish or him to retain his previous abilities and mind? Or perhaps you would prefer a mindless servant.

Stormageddon
2013-10-15, 03:03 PM

I think that it's still a good idea even if Eliar has been dissolved. There would still be people there... Or atleast my character would think so... Surely the you could not have remove all the people and buildings and what not.

Plus my character is thinking about the vaccum of meritile power that has been created with the timely death of Sir Roland. He wants to sweep in and set up shop. It would be nice to have a semi-ligit reason for being there in case someone comes about asking questions.

What better start up business then being the next Merchant Prince; such a great cover, and could make trade possible with other unexpecting nations that might want to trade with Arnil. All the while pumping up the economy of Arnil, ofcourse. Undead cost $$$$.

Stormageddon
2013-10-15, 03:32 PM
Mr. Dorn I want an offical document stating that under terms of surrender for invading our land that Lord Roland here is giving the lands and all of his business to Arnil. Make it clear that we are keeping Lord Roland as are "guest" and will be treated with kindest and respect until he serves his time for his crimes.

A man wearing a heavy brown cloak with a hood long enough to cover his face complete approaches. Mr. Black hands him the spell book.

I want the best work. Make it perfect.

True enough I'm sure the new and improved vampire Roland with be shown the amost kindness in Arnil.

Dorn will be taking a 20 on his forgery check. As he has time and a sample of the past Roland's handwriting he gets a +8 for a total of 39 on his forgery check. Opposed by other NPC's or PC's forgery check (who puts ranks in forgery anyway... wait I did.) Should be enough to fool anyone.

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 04:16 PM
With a flash, Inautia arrives next to Eril.
I apologise for the wait, my companions. I had significant business to attend to. So, you require me to create a powerful undead.
I could create any of several. A wraith, a spectre, a ghoul. Perhaps even a devourer. Do you wish or him to retain his previous abilities and mind? Or perhaps you would prefer a mindless servant.

Does Inautia have any titles? If not Eril will start making them up. She's like that. Her crazed cultist followers won't dispute it.

Lord of Bones, Protector of the Undead, we thank you for listening to our prayers. Eril bows low, and as she does her sister emulates her. As she rises, she addresses her wounded unit. Our Lord of Bones appears before us himself! Inautia cares for his own as long as we continue to show him our devotion! With her words, a feverish cry rises from the survivors in praise to Inautia.

Yes, my Lord, we have slain a powerful King and our Matriarch wishes to bring him into the fold. She would be best to answer your questions as I am but an extension of her arm in your name, bringing death to the undeserving and bringing them back as loyal followers.

A sly smile spreads over her face and Eril speaks up again, addressing Sybille.
Matriarch. Roland expressed a distinct hatred for the undead, so far that he even caused this current situation. Could we perhaps bring him back as an intelligent undead, forcing him to phase its joys? We may be able to convince him to bring his followers under our fold, joining us instead of requiring more bloodshed. I fear the wrath of the Winged Goddess if we march on her followers. There may yet be another way.

Pesimismrocks
2013-10-15, 04:22 PM
Hmm... I haven't any yet. If your just making ones up could I have Baron in one of them. For no reason at all it is my favourite title
Edit: here are some
Watcher of the Fallen
Father of death.
The Unliving Baron

A king eh... His skills would be wasted as a mindless denizen. I believe mummification would be more effective, or perhaps a spectral being. If you return the body to the temple and prepare it for mummification, I will return and animate it. He shall still have free will, but there are always ways to convince him.

In other matters, Life sends her greetings. She does not blame you for the death of the King but wishes that he remains to worship her after he is 'revived'. She would try to convince him to work with us.
She also warns you of danger from the north.

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 04:52 PM
Hmm... I haven't any yet. If your just making ones up could I have Baron in one of them. For no reason at all it is my favourite title
Edit: here are some
Watcher of the Fallen
Father of death.
The Unliving Baron

I like the Unliving Baron one. Inautia, Watcher of the Fallen, Lord of Bones, the Unliving Baron and ..well we need to get you some fancy church/fortress or item to add to the title. Lord of the Bone Throne or something. ..Rhyming is bad though.