PDA

View Full Version : L5R A Simple Dream

Ghost49X
2013-09-29, 01:22 AM
Shiro no Shosuro
Late at night three black clad infiltrators lay in the moonlight kneeling before a rice paper door guarded by two motionless bushi. The feeble light of a small brazier cast a shadow behind the door, like the bushi unmoving.

The shadow moves, a tap at the door causes the bushi to slide it open revealing the shadow as Shoshuro Bokaru a close personal adviser to the Shosuro Daimyo "Send in the first one". One of the guards points at one of the kneeling infiltrators and waves him in.

Inside the small personal study sat Shosuro Toson (Shosuro family Daimyo) while Shoshuro Bokaru stood by the door closing it quietly. "Shosuro Ren, the Scorpion have need of your skills. Sit, I will inform you of your task." Unrolling a scroll, Toson took a moment to read its contents before looking up at Ren "You are tasked to go to lion lands unnoticed and set up a smuggling route after which you will oversee it to make sure of its efficiency and await further orders." Tonson peers at the scroll quickly "There is already a small operation in progress, your contact is a ronin called Gunsuro he will be waiting for you at the Blue Moon's tavern on the first day of every week. He will show you what is already there; keep in mind his loyalty is not certain, watch him carefully. Bokaru-san here will be your handler, keep him appraised of the your progress and any issues."With his mention Bokaru gives a shallow bow, one suitable for a student from his sensei. "If you require any 'special' resources we have a cell working out from a small village called 'Kage no Yama' near Kyuden Ikoma he uses the name Hatsuo and works as a Doshin, he will have access to unique clan resources. Have I left anything out that you require?"

"Also you should know that this is not the time for a scorpion presence in Lion lands to be noticed, so above all avoid screwing up."

With this The Daimyo waves his hand motioning for Ren to leave and for Bokaru to let the next infiltrator in.

Sir_Gabes
2013-09-29, 03:14 AM
Shosuro Ren enters the dark study. His movements were unnaturally quiet, as though his feet were not touching the floor. He bowed silently and knelt on one knee. Ren's dark eyes looked out from behind an old red rag he was using for a mask. Clad in black, he silently listened to his instructions. After his lord finished speaking, Ren nodded his head. He replied in haiku.

"Shosuro guide me.
I fear not the shadowed path.
As I cannot fail."

With this he left as quietly as he came. He knew enough to carry out the task at hand. He would not bother his lord with further questions. Ren stepped out of the study considering his orders. He decided his first course of action was to requisition some equipment from the armory. Namely a length of rope and some peasant garb. He would then arrange passage to Lion lands with a merchant or farmer, under the guise of a man of lower station. He would obtain falsified travel papers and cross the Lion border using the Beiden Shadows. While he felt it was a risky endeavor. Ren knew the other passes were too well traveled. He would have to avoid patrols where he could.

Artisan: Poetry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16122686&postcount=12)

Ghost49X
2013-09-30, 07:13 PM
Shosuro Ren - Shiro no Shosuro

Arriving at the castle quarter master, Ren spies a lone scorpion samurai working on thinning down a stack of letters (as it is not abnormal to get late night supply needs in the house of the shosuro their quartermaster is open all day and all night). Wearing a mask resembling a laughing devil, he pretends to not notice Ren until Ren speaks.

Sir_Gabes
2013-09-30, 08:36 PM
Shosuro glided over to the quartermaster and bowed quickly.
"Good evening Shosuro - San. I trust your evening has been enjoyable."
Ren studied the laughing devil mask for a moment, but quickly moved on.
"I've been given a task by our daimyo. It will involve a measure of travel."
Ren had not been to Lion lands. He was more than a little nervous. He was all too aware of how much respect Lion clan samurai afforded Scorpion. He would need to proceed carefully.
"I will need a set of peasants garb, ten willow leaf arrows, a length of rope and a weeks worth of travel rations. In addition, I will need falsified travel papers with permission to enter Lion lands."
The travel papers were mostly a contingency. If Ren encountered a patrol or a border post, the Lion samurai would ask for it. By law all travellers must possess the relevant papers. Though Ren would be avoiding Lion samurai, he didn't want to be caught out. He also wouldn't be taking any ninja weapons. Lest they search his possessions.
"I will be wearing the face of a mercenary Ronin whilst in Lion lands. It would be preferable that my travel papers reflect this. This will allow me to carry my daisho with impunity."
Ren considered if he had forgotten anything. He thought about taking a detour through Ryoko Owari. He wasn't sure when he would see Noriko again. He knew his heart would be longing once he hit the road.

Travel Possessions
Ashigaru Armor
Sturdy Black Clothing
Katana
Wakisaishi
Han-kyu
Grapple Hook
Ink Brush Kit
Makeup Kit
Old Man Mask
Mortar and Pestle
Biwa (hidden blade compartment.)
Tatami Mat
Wig
Perfume
Red Rag mask
Requisitioned Goods

Left Behind
Spare Kimono and Sandals (Scorpion Outfit.)

Ghost49X
2013-10-01, 01:35 PM
The quartermaster returned Ren's bow with a quick one of his own. "Yes, my evening goes well so far, hope your's is as well". Taking a minute to think about the request he nods, turns towards an open door behind his desk "Akagi-san, get a quiver of willow leaf and a rice sack, yes the small one. Oh and can you check how much rope we have left?" Turning back to Ren "About your travel clothes, we only carry standard practical garb so if I were you I'd visit the Butei Academy, they have much more in the matter of disguises than we'll ever have here. Otherwise if you wanted something with realist wear you could find a village and ask for a spare tunic, like they're going to do anything about".

A man entered from the back room his mask a cloth decorated with small embroidered scorpions, bringing a quiver with Ren's Arrows and a small bag of rice. He looks at Ren and gives a him short bow "would you want something to cook the rice in?" he turns to the first man "and we only have a few coils left"

The first man nods "sorry, with a lot of people 'needing' rope all the time we're low on supply. Unless you need the rope rather than want, I'll have to deny that request."

Sir_Gabes
2013-10-01, 04:36 PM
"Thank you for your advice.I will stop at the Butei academy. It lies north east of here, correct? I suppose they would provide me with travel papers as well?"
Ren forgot about cooking utensils and such. He was glad it was mentioned. He addressed the new person's query.
"Any cooking equipment would be helpful. If you have some spare chopsticks, I would appreciate them."
Ren considered if he would need the rope desperately. The path he would be taking may require climbing. Rope would be invaluable in those situations.
"I intend to travel the Beiden Shadows. A rope would likely be necessary. If I were to travel an easier route. I would encounter more patrols and risk more scrutiny. The path I take will also enable me to travel without tribute to the unicorn clan. I do plan to hire a guide however and he will likely have any necessary climbing equipment."
Ren bowed as the arrows and food was brought forward. He fastened the quiver around his waist and quickly stuffed the small bag of rice in his pack. Fortunately, his traveling pack was fairly sturdy. It would be heavy, but bearable.

Ghost49X
2013-10-02, 08:04 PM
The first man nods "Yes the academy isn't very far. Gomen (sorry) we don't carry any travel papers, real or otherwise. Real papers you can get from your superiors or in the worst case a magistrate". Letting out a yawn he continues "for fake papers you'll have to see a forger and he'll need to tailor them to your specific situation. Anything else you would need?"

Sir_Gabes
2013-10-04, 04:09 PM
"No, I think that will do. I have other preparations I must make."
Ren bowed and took his leave. He considered if he knew of a forger within Shiro no Shosuro. He didn't want to delay any longer than he had to. If pushed he could always purchase the necessary things and forge it himself. It would likely be serviceable at a glance. It would be worth trying if there was no other option. He would need to find this forger first.

Lore: Underworld (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16156026&postcount=23)
Explosions! :D (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16156037&postcount=24)
More Explosions! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16156057&postcount=25)
A total of 36.

Ghost49X
2013-10-05, 09:05 PM
After giving it some though, Ren remembered someone who specialized in forgeries of all sorts, and according to rumors he was quite talented. He lived in a small estate on the edge of town. It was out of Ren's way even if it wasn't very far, though at this hour the time for a polite visit was well past.

Sir_Gabes
2013-10-06, 10:20 PM
Ren put on his travel pack and checked his belongings. He would take his chances at the Butei academy. Some actors trained in forgery, it was not uncommon. The sensei would undoubtedly keep some simple clothes. Ren would find passage with a traveling merchant. At least until it was time to take the Beiden Shadows. Ren let out a deep sigh. He longed for Noriko's touch. One last visit before leaving. Ren put it in the back of his mind and set out for the academy.

Ghost49X
2013-10-07, 09:24 PM
Shosuro Ren, Kawa Province
His meeting with the daimyo was already fairly late into the night and by the time Ren gets to the closed gate it is nearing midnight. The guard on duty blinks at Ren and waves him in without asking questions.

Once inside another guard sits at a table, a large register of people entering or leaving the city in front of him. Waving Ren closer he picks up an ink brush "your name?" writing it down in the register. the first guard then opens a smaller door in the large heavy door, closing and locking it behind Ren. Ahead lays the Kawa province of the Shosuro, a mix of grasslands and occasional small crops of trees and bushes with a full moon lighting his path.

After several hours walking along the road at a brisk pace, Ren estimates he'll arrive at the academy in the late morning if he keeps up his pace. Hearing something behind him he looks over his shoulder to see a huge wolf fifteen feet away baring it's teeth at what looks like it's next meal.

The wolf got 27 on his initiative
and his exploded dice

Ghost49X
2013-10-07, 10:44 PM
The wolf growls and lunges forward to grab hold of Ren's right arm locking it's jaws, and shaking his arm violently only to taste blood and he bite deeper.

I sorry I forgot not to put too much detail in the roll thread, just roll there and put details in a spoiler like this.

The wolf takes the attack stance and will initiate a grapple
[roll0] Worn armor doesn't count (but your stance does)
I believe without your Ashigaru armor your armor TN is 23 and he got 24.

damage [roll0]

exploded dice again from left to right
[roll0] So he'll deal 17 damage (taking into account your damage reduction that's 16 damage) your first wound condition has 10 wounds and every other after that has 4, so you're considered grazed (I'll apply a -5 penalty to all your rolls)
Also as part of your initiative roll you're encouraged to RP your stance/thoughts and what ever you think you should, as long as it doesn't take up an action accounted for in battle.
Also now that you're in a grapple see the grapple rolls on page 88 of the core book

Sir_Gabes
2013-10-08, 06:17 PM
Ren turns around as the wolf approached. A sinking feeling in his stomach made him worried. Ren took a defensive stance immediately. He got ready to draw his blade, but the wolf was too quick. Pain shot up his arm and he tried desperately to fight off the wolf. He need to get the wolf away. Ren wasn't trained for this kind of fighting. If he could just reach his katana or wakisaishi he could cut the beast down.

I didn't think initiating a grapple did damage. By the grapple rules the wolf takes two complex actions.

1. He initiates the grapple. Getting a decent a grip and trying to find an opportunity grab hold of Ren.
2. He shakes his head violently and tries to tear Ren's arm off.

Essentially if he keeps the grapple he doesn't need to roll to hit. He can just damage every turn. Just not on the first turn of the grapple.

I guess it make sense for a wolf to do damage and grapple. I would argue I could still draw a weapon with a wolf attacking my arm. The grapple rules don't allow it. I don't know maybe I don't grasp the rules as well.

Sir_Gabes
2013-10-09, 06:18 AM
The wolf was clearly in control. Ren fought wildly attempting get free of the wolf. There was almost nothing he could do to free himself of the beast. Unable to draw either of his blades. Ren let out loud and intimidating roar.
"BACK DOWN!"
Ren tried to make himself seem bigger and more dangerous. He wasn't sure if the wolf would even care. He figured it might at least buy him some time.

Ghost49X
2013-10-10, 12:07 PM
The wolf bites down hard on Ren's arm, growling and showing his own aggressiveness.

So he deals 13 damage (didn't take into account your DR) to you but you startled him on your turn, I'll give him a -10 penalty to maintaining the control of the grapple until the end of your next turn.

Sir_Gabes
2013-10-11, 05:07 AM
Ren wrestled with the wolf. He felt the wolf's grip loosen. Taking advantage of the wolf's surprise, Ren wrenched the wolf away from his arm. He quickly unsheathed his katana and backed away from the beast. He paid careful attention to it's movements. He wouldn't let the wolf grab him again and if it tried he would cut it in two.

Simple Action - Break Grapple
Simple Action - Draw Katana
Free Action - Move 10ft away from the wolf.

Ghost49X
2013-10-13, 07:57 PM
The wolf watches Ren back off, keeping his distance he seems to wait for a sign of weakness. Without a moments notice the wolf leaps forward and bites Ren's leg, dodging away before Ren has a chance to strike.

Attack roll [roll0]
Exploding dice [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Exploding dice [roll3]
Attack [7][18][4]=total 29
Damage [7][8]=total 15

I would also advise not taking the attack stance until you're ready to attack. As they can be switched at the beginning of your turn

Sir_Gabes
2013-10-16, 08:44 AM
Ren's traveling clothes smelt of blood. His sword was gripped tightly in his hand. His various injuries made it hard to hold it, but he held on despite the pain. Ren started feeling desperate. This wolf would kill him for sure. Ren was already feeling weak. There was no escape for him. In a display of recklessness Ren charged forward and attempted to strike the wolf down. This was his last chance to force the beast away.

Once again, I thought I posted in IC. It seems I didn't. I had this copy pasted in word and everything. Sorry for the late update.

Ghost49X
2013-10-17, 12:02 PM
Shosuro Ren, Kawa Province
The wolf knocks aside Ren's weak blow and jumps onto Ren pushing him down, his jaws bites hard and tear through Ren's left bicep, going for the delicious meat within. With his strength gone and his vision fading fast Ren succumbs to the loss of blood.

Opening his eyes slowly, his vision still blurry he sees a fire nearby and feels the presence of a man. Unconsciousness retakes him as he tries to sit up...

Regaining consciousness an undetermined amount of time later sees a kind man with a shaven head kneeling beside him. Still lacking the strength to speak Ren lays there and watches the man tend to his wounds. Seeing him awake the man smiles, picks up a teapot and offers Ren a drink. Soon after Ren falls asleep again.

Waking up with more strength this time, Ren sits up and looks around him and notices that he was in a small shrine to Jurojin, the fortune of Longevity. Though no sign of the bald man anywhere near. Day light streamed through an open door way and a fresh cup of rice lay beside him. Trying to get up Ren notices for the first time, his left arm is tightly bound to his chest with clean bandages. Ren doesn't feel anything in his arm past a numbing pain above his shoulder.

Attack roll [roll0]4k3 [32]
Exploding dice [roll1]
Damage [roll2] 5k2 [16] again not counting your DR
Exploding dice [roll3]

After the fight:
So your guy is still alive, but he has gained the missing limb disadvantage (he still has his arm but it's badly damage and the nerves are messed up) it can be healed through magic but it's otherwise permanent. You also regain 20 wounds plus what ever your normal natural healing is.

Though there is still hope for this guy, and he would now have a side quest to find a way to get himself healed, I understand if you would rather submit another character concept (if you do, you can't resubmit the same one)

Sir_Gabes
2013-10-17, 10:12 PM
Ren thanked the fortune Jirojin for his life. This more than anything reaffirmed his faith that the fortunes would look out for him. He wondered who had saved him and offered him healing. It was during this moment of confusion Ren had realized that his arm was near useless. The shinobi was quite optimistic however. He had made a grave mistake traveling the road alone at night. It was a lesson well learned. Ren scanned the area for his belongings. He needed a new plan. If he could find a shugenja, he would possibly be able to regain the use of his arm. He couldn't know for certain however. He would need to look at his wounds.

Ren sat up slowly and carefully. The pain was fairly intense. It felt like the gauntlet all over again. He really hoped his mistake would remain secret. It was fairly embarrassing and he preferred to avoid such shame. Ren took his bowl of rice and began eating as best he could. The use of only one arm made this challenging however. He would have to leave an offering of rice to the shrine. It was the least he could do. Every grain Ren ate he would offer double.

Not on your life! I think I can manage with this character. I won't give up on Ren yet. Besides it adds flavor and fun to the story. Ren will just have to persevere. :smallamused:

Ghost49X
2013-10-22, 12:48 AM
Shosuro Ren, Jirojin's Shrine
Ren had almost finished his food when a man with a shaved head entered the room "Greetings traveler" with one hand he forms a symbol of blessing and bows respectfully "I am Genzo, a traveling monk. I found you two nights ago and brought you here. I hope your wounds are recovering?" The monk offers a sincere smile, with every thing about this man pointing to peace, balance and serenity.

Sir_Gabes
2013-10-22, 10:01 PM
Ren stood up immediately and offered a more traditional bow. A very deep and pronounced one.
"Greetings Genzo-san, I am Shosuro Ren. I'm a humble samurai of little skill. I have just completed my Gempukku and I was traveling home, when that beast attacked."
This holy man must be skilled to save Ren's life like he did. He looked down at his arm. If the wolf had even a few seconds more time, it would be well and truly gone.
"It seems my arm is in a terrible state. Alas a small price to pay, for a chance to continue serving my lord. Perhaps there is a way to heal such an injury."
Ren looked around for his pack. He wanted to make sure everything was present and offer a small reward to the monk.
I will offer you all the rice I can spare as payment. I have little else of value. Once I find my pack."

As I'm kind of lying to Genzo. I'll make a sincerity roll. The roll is composed of Awareness+Sincerity+Ancestor Bonus. Sincerity Roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16272001&postcount=51)
A total of 47

Ghost49X
2013-10-30, 08:53 PM
"I will pray to the fortunes for your health, but as Shinsei once said; true healing comes from inside." The monk bows "Thank you for your offer but I should decline as I am currently fasting to purify my body on the path to enlightenment. If you wish to part from your rice I am sure the local peasants could make much more of it than me."

Sir_Gabes
2013-11-01, 12:40 AM
Shosuro Ren offered his gift of rice twice more. He wasn't sure if the monk was actually fasting and didn't want to offer insult to the man who saved his life. He made a traditional offering to the shrine.
"Do you know of any way I could heal my arm. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Also it might be more prudent to travel with a guide from now on. If you know of anyone who knows the way to the Shosuro acting academy I would be grateful."

Ghost49X
2013-11-01, 11:46 AM
After being offered the 3rd time the monk bows humbly "If you insists on parting ways with your rice, I shall donate it to those in need."

Pausing a moment to give thought to Ren's second question. Genzo tilts his head partially "If I were you I would seek out the priests at 'the Temple of the Morning Sun', they are reputed to be some of the best healers in all of Rokugan and I can attest to this personally.

Sir_Gabes
2013-11-03, 11:07 PM
Ren looks thoughtfully at the monk. He considered if he knew of the priesthood. At any rate he was sure the monk was no liar. The monk had no reason to. Ren would have to plan a trip to the temple at some point.
"Where is this temple? How far would I travel to reach it?"
The man was skilled and Ren could use an able man on the road.
"I find myself in need of companionship. Perhaps you would consider traveling with me? My travels take me into the heart of Lion lands. There I will be serving the empire. I would willingly aid you in spreading the teachings of shinsei in exchange."
Ren chuckled to himself.
"Who knows? I may find enlightenment in such tasks. As long as they don't distract me from my duties."

Ghost49X
2013-11-14, 12:44 AM
"How far?" Genzo pondered the question for a moment "depends, I happen to have an acquaintance who knows a short cut and could get you there in little more than a day. However you'll need to convince him if you want his help. Without him I don't believe you'll reach it before the snows come."

"I wouldn't mind paying a visit to the Temple of the Morning Sun, it's been awhile since I've been down there. As for finding enlightenment, who knows."

Sir_Gabes
2013-11-14, 12:31 PM
"Why, as far as you're willing. After I get my arm healed, I intend to to travel to the Shosuro acting academy and then through the Beiden Shadows. Such a journey will be a mixture of danger and monotony. Someone to suffer with will make the journey faster and safer."
Ren grasped his pack in one hand and hoisted it over his shoulder. He got a feeling that traveling like this would get irritating. Such an early blunder in his mission. He would surely need to do something spectacular to make up for it. His daimyo likely expected him to travel through unicorn lands taking the safest route. Traveling the Beiden Shadows would make up for that lost time. As though reading his mind Genzo piped up with a solution.
"A shortcut huh? Well, lead me to this man. I will do my best to earn his favour, by the way Genzo san. Feel free to call me Shosuro Ren-san. You saved my life after all and brought me to this shrine. You needn't treat me as a superior in private company."
Ren smiled warmly, He didn't want Genzo to feel nervous around a scorpion samurai. Ren wouldn't be risking his mission for Gemzo however. A sad prospect, but Ren would likely be using this man.