PDA

View Full Version : Cave of Dooms

DontEatRawHagis
2013-09-29, 08:33 AM
My players decided to go searching for an NPC and wound up in a Cave of Dooms. As I started it off I almost finished the dungeon after two encounters, but I plan on expanding on it.

The Cave of Dooms is based off of the Temple of All Dooms from Journeyquest. If no one has seen it, its up on YouTube and made by the guys who did Gamers 2.

The Theme of the Dungeon is classic Dungeon crawl encounters allowing the players to think really outside the box and walk right through them.

So what would happen if you have two guards, one that only tells lies and one that only tells truth, and you just stab one of them, leaving only the one that tells lies freaking out that you just "Didn't stab their friend"?

Any ideas for more encounters? I have four right now.

The Grue
2013-09-29, 03:16 PM
My players decided to go searching for an NPC and wound up in a Cave of Dooms. As I started it off I almost finished the dungeon after two encounters, but I plan on expanding on it.

The Cave of Dooms is based off of the Temple of All Dooms from Journeyquest. If no one has seen it, its up on YouTube and made by the guys who did Gamers 2.

The Theme of the Dungeon is classic Dungeon crawl encounters allowing the players to think really outside the box and walk right through them.

So what would happen if you have two guards, one that only tells lies and one that only tells truth, and you just stab one of them, leaving only the one that tells lies freaking out that you just "Didn't stab their friend"?

I would think said guard would, in fact, remain quite calm and composed. After all, you didn't just stab their friend.

Adoendithas
2013-09-29, 04:16 PM
Interesting point, Grue: does the guard truly believe what they're saying, or just say the opposite of what they actually believe to be true?

Amaril
2013-09-29, 05:10 PM
Interesting point, Grue: does the guard truly believe what they're saying, or just say the opposite of what they actually believe to be true?

Well if they believe it, they're not lying, just incorrect. I'd say since they know their friend was just stabbed but have to lie about it, they'd remain outwardly composed and act like nothing had happened, when they'd really be freaking the f*** out.

DontEatRawHagis
2013-09-30, 07:50 PM
One of the lines of dialog went along the lines of:

Wizard: And you lying gargoyle, why did you abandoned your post?
Gargoyle: Hey, I signed up for this. And my friend's still alive so-:smallannoyed:
Fighter: I could have sworn I killed him.
Gargoyle: No...You did not, wise one.:smallamused:
Fighter: Well we can always backtrack. What do you say, friend? Shall we kill the wizard?
Wizard: NO!
Gargoyle: Yes, that is completely necessary!:smallfrown:

InQbait
2013-09-30, 08:24 PM
I have an idea for an encounter for the Cave of Dooms.
Have there be a evil creature who looks like an undead-ish woman and have her be nameless, and speak curses on the PCs when they get to her area of influence in the dungeon, and when the PCs speak curses back to her or physically attack her or cast spells at her, she summons an Abyssal Basilisk to crush the PCs! (While she escapes) :smallbiggrin:
If they survive the Abyssal Basilisk, the PCs might find this evil woman in another part of the dungeon, and she will beg for mercy and it is up to the PCs to decide her fate. If they show her mercy, she actually turns good and helps the PCs defeat the Master of the Cave of Dooms. However, if she does help the PCs, the Master of the Cave of Dooms will cause her to explode with one word, possibly damaging the PCs and causing the PCs to be covered in her entrails.

Doorhandle
2013-10-01, 04:13 AM

I reckon all the best traps/puzzles work like the above: there's one correct way to bypass them but there are a lot of other methods that also work.

1 idea:

This joke on the wall somewhere in the dungeon,

" See, there were these two guys in a lunatic asylum. And one night, they decide they don't like living in the asylum anymore. They decide they're going to escape! So, like, they get up onto the roof, and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away into the moonlight. Stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend daren't make the leap. Y'see... y'see, he's afraid of falling. So then the first guy has an idea... He says, 'Hey, I have a flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk across the beam and join me!' But the second guy just shakes his head. He suh-says... he says 'Wh-what do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was halfway across!'" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quotes/TheKillingJoke)

At another point, there is a huge chasm. The solution is to shine a light across it, and the walk on the light.

Of course, they could still use mundane/magical means to cross the chasm...