PDA

View Full Version : I want to ride him like a cowgirl.

visigani
2013-09-29, 10:18 AM
The elemental companion alternate class feature in some book or another allows one to have an elemental companion.
One of which is the air elemental.
And it can fly.

Conceivably could one be carried around by an air elemental companion starting at level 4, and thus fly?

An Elf Female (or smaller PC) weighs 80 lbs +1d6. A medium load for an elemental with base str is 85 lbs or less.

Nothing about the air elemental suggests it's incorporeal... it can wear items, for example (at least I've never heard anything suggesting otherwise).

And to be honest, Druids are so gimp this might be something that gives them a leg up so they aren't entirely useless.

Raven777
2013-09-29, 10:20 AM
Druids are... so... gimp? :smallconfused:

Taveena
2013-09-29, 10:23 AM
Well, they sure dominate the **** out of most other classes...

Fax Celestis
2013-09-29, 10:28 AM
Came to this thread expecting to hit the "report" button.

Discovered that the thread wasn't reportable.

Stayed for the fireworks.

Reinkai
2013-09-29, 10:30 AM
I... this is... what? :smallconfused:

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-29, 10:34 AM

Same.

In answer to the OP's question, so long as you are a light load.

That being said, the light load for a Large Air Elemental is 58 pounds and for a Huge Air Elemental is 100 pounds.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-29, 10:37 AM
That being said, the light load for a Large Air Elemental is 58 pounds and for a Huge Air Elemental is 100 pounds.

Tippy, I am disappointed in you. Large creatures get a multiplier (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#biggerandSmallerCreatures). The Large Air Elemental's light load capacity is 116 lbs., and the Huge Air Elemental's light load capacity is 400 lbs.

SiuiS
2013-09-29, 10:38 AM
Yeah. A friend of mine takes to getting some sort of belt from MIC for all his aminal companions, specifically to solve this. Humor is an angry elf being carried by the ankle who is shooting at you whit a modified crossbow. Belt of wide earth I think?

And yeah. Another thing air elementals aren't despite everyone playing them that way? Invisible. Or hard to see at all, really.

nedz
2013-09-29, 10:41 AM

That would point to a small Druid then — Halfling and Gnome should be within this limit, unless they're fat.

JusticeZero
2013-09-29, 10:48 AM
And to be honest, Druids are so gimp this might be something that gives them a leg up so they aren't entirely useless.
It should be workable, but seriously.. druids... gimp? They are among the five most powerful character classes ever created. A fighter can fight with the savagery of a bear, and a druid is a giant bear riding on a giant bear dumping giant bears on people - after buffing the holy heck out of themself on top of that - while the enemy wriggles around pathetically underneath a pile of poison ivy. I'm not quite sure where you're getting "weak" from. They're a powerhouse at every stage of the game, and many of those stages, they're good enough to very possibly leave all the fighters, barbarians, rogues, monks, et cetera in camp and go solo the whole dungeon before morning so the puny melees won't get hurt.

Keneth
2013-09-29, 10:59 AM
Did this in Pathfinder with a familiar. Used muleback cords to give the elemental an effective Str of +8. It's a bit harder in 3.5 though.

I also frequently use my Imp to carry me places. :smalltongue:

visigani
2013-09-29, 11:04 AM
Where is it written that Flying mounts can only carrying light loads?

And Druids... seriously? They're like bards but without the good spells, special abilities, skills, or benefits.

Keneth
2013-09-29, 11:08 AM
And Druids... seriously? They're like bards but without the good spells, special abilities, skills, or benefits.

Can't tell if you're sarcastic or just don't know how to play the game...

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-29, 11:09 AM

First of all, an elemental is not a mount. Mounts are creatures that are particularly well suited to carrying other creatures, like a horse. An elemental is just going to be carrying you as best it can using its limbs or whatever, like a person carrying another person.

Secondly,

A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load.
link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly)

Fax Celestis
2013-09-29, 11:11 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly

Wait, I remember you.

Chronos
2013-09-29, 11:12 AM
But instead with better spells and better special abilities.

You don't need the elemental companion alternate class feature, by the way. An ordinary druid can get a variety of flying animals as companions, such as the dire bat.

JusticeZero
2013-09-29, 11:13 AM
Yes, seriously. They are off the rails. Animal companion is like a Fighter by itself; Wildshape is like another Fighter plus a huge amount of utility, and then they have 9th level spells on top of both of those. those spells are either buffs that can make anyone - the druid themself, say - completely ridiculous if they weren't already, utilities that can sequence break adventures with ease, or they are crowd control options that can turn encounters into a cakewalk. And they can completely re-kit themself with different spells every morning. Pathfinder nerfed the holy hell out of them, and you could STILL balance them by slicing them into two or three individual 20 level classes that would be balanced.

dethkruzer
2013-09-29, 11:17 AM

And Druids... seriously? They're like Clerics with slightly altered spell lists, an actually useful companion creature, and six metric craptonnes of class features.

Fixed that for you.

JusticeZero
2013-09-29, 11:21 AM
Yeah, it's frustrating because I like the fluff of the Druid, Cleric, and Wizard - but i'm basically not allowed to actually play one in a game with unsuspecting people who think the classes are remotely balanced.

Pangaea
2013-09-29, 12:04 PM
link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly)

I had always assumed this meant that a flying creatures' speed was reduced when it carried more than a light load, not that it couldn't fly at all (hence the 'indicated speed' in the text).

Big Fau
2013-09-29, 12:26 PM

Druids are amongst the six most powerful classes in the game. You are off your rocker.

Vortenger
2013-09-29, 12:33 PM
I believe there is a term for this.

Successful troll is successful.

JusticeZero
2013-09-29, 12:35 PM
For certain low expectations of "success". They didn't create strife, just several instances of "lol no".

Spuddles
2013-09-29, 03:44 PM
A small druid and any medium sized or larger flying animal companion can fly. I believe a gnome druid and an eagle can fly at first level. By 4th level, the dire bat means any druid light enough has a mount.

By sixth level, wildshape & natural spell makes this all irrelevant.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-29, 03:47 PM
Real trolls bring up cleverly disguised American politics. :smalltongue:

Chronos
2013-09-29, 03:52 PM
Eagles are Small, so you'd need a Tiny druid to be able to ride one.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-09-29, 03:53 PM

Yea, I got my popcorn. This ought to be good. In fact, I'll even sing a jaunty tune:

When I find myself in forums flamin', common sense comes to me. Speaking words of wisdom: DFT.
And in my hour of darkness, such a simple phrase comforts me... simple words of wisdom: DFT.

DFT, DFT, DFT, yea DFT
Simple words of wisdom
DFT

And when the trolls get out of hand, forum users will agree. There will be an answer: DFT
But though they may get angry, there is still a chance that they will see: There's a simple answer: DFT

DFT, DFT, DFT, yea DFT
Simple words of wisdom
DFT

sabelo2000
2013-09-29, 04:06 PM
And yet, I am now inspired to throw an NPC druid at my party, screaming at them from the top of a whirlwind air elemental. Should be amusing at least.

JusticeZero
2013-09-29, 04:07 PM
Or just generally have a Druid boss use air elementals to airdrop troops into somewhere, maybe.

ArcturusV
2013-09-29, 04:12 PM
High Altitude Carpet Bearing of your enemies eh?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-29, 04:17 PM

It looks like you just don't know how to Druid. Read through The Druid Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0) in its entirety before putting your foot in your mouth as above. A Druid at 10th level can reliably defeat ~4 CR 10 Fire Giants single-handed using only his own class features, a Bard cannot.

Invader
2013-09-29, 04:29 PM
Can't tell if you're sarcastic or just don't know how to play the game...

Here you go :smallamused:

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii636/invaderk2/original.jpeg

LogosDragon
2013-09-29, 05:02 PM
It looks like you just don't know how to Druid. Read through The Druid Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0) in its entirety before putting your foot in your mouth as above. A Druid at 10th level can reliably defeat ~4 CR 10 Fire Giants single-handed using only his own class features, a Bard cannot.

His own class features, and possibly discluding spells as well (assuming you ever even considered spells a class feature; it's always a bit weird making that distinction, even though the RAW is pretty pointedly obvious about the answer).

Mandrake
2013-09-29, 05:14 PM
Just wanted to suggest, as this thread had gone its separate ways, that we go back to stuff riding, preferably like a cowgirl.

Since air elemental is not a mount, any other suggestion to OP for flyers?
And don't be rude about game knowledge, my first and only Druid went two-weapon fighting with Shillelagh. ... . . . . .

Jack_Simth
2013-09-29, 05:32 PM
Just wanted to suggest, as this thread had gone its separate ways, that we go back to stuff riding, preferably like a cowgirl.

Since air elemental is not a mount, any other suggestion to OP for flyers?
And don't be rude about game knowledge, my first and only Druid went two-weapon fighting with Shillelagh. ... . . . . .
The simplest Core flying Druid would be an Elf, Gnome, or Halfling on a Dire Bat at 4th level (192 pound light load... but that also has to include the saddle and all your equipment, so...). If you could somehow swing it, a Halfling Druid with a Permanent Reduce Person could ride an Eagle at 1st (24 pound light load).

Greenish
2013-09-29, 05:41 PM
Humor is an angry elf being carried by the ankle who is shooting at you whit a modified crossbow.This sentence, it quite befuddles me. What?

Did this in Pathfinder with a familiar. Used muleback cords to give the elemental an effective Str of +8.Isn't there a quite cheap belt that gives you permanent Ant Haul? That seems like a much stronger option in many cases.

It's a bit harder in 3.5 though.:Well, there's the aforementioned Belt of Wide Earth, and I should think there are other items for increasing carrying capacity (I'd be surprised if A&EG had none).

visigani
2013-09-29, 05:43 PM
Why can't an air elemental be a mount?

ArcturusV
2013-09-29, 05:49 PM
Heck, there's probably a saddle and tack in A&EG for just that purpose. At the very least I remember there being one for an ooze. So something as relatively normal as an Air Elemental shouldn't be that hard to turn into a mount.

Jack_Simth
2013-09-29, 05:49 PM
The simplest Core flying Druid would be an Elf, Gnome, or Halfling on a Dire Bat at 4th level (192 pound light load... but that also has to include the saddle and all your equipment, so...). If you could somehow swing it, a Halfling Druid with a Permanent Reduce Person could ride an Eagle at 1st (24 pound light load).

Let's see... other options... you can use the Air Elemental, or any other critter, for that matter, just by taking a -5 Penalty to your Ride skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm). Which, you know, will generally be irrelevant at even mid level. The Ride check DCs that you care about are not hard to make.

You can of course boost the (effective) strength of your animal companion - there's simply leveling up in Druid and sticking with the same companion for the strength bonus that animal companions get. If you take an adjusted companion, then Natural Bond can mitigate the adjustment by a bit. You can probably apply the Warbeast template, which increases the mount's strength a little more. A few items have been mentioned... plus, of course, you can use the Belt of Giant Strength on your mount, and/or cast buff spells on the beast.

ShadowFighter15
2013-09-29, 05:51 PM
And yet, I am now inspired to throw an NPC druid at my party, screaming at them from the top of a whirlwind air elemental. Should be amusing at least.

The druid isn't spinning with the whirlwind, is he? Because if so then things could get a bit... messy.:smalltongue:

MinMax Hardcore
2013-09-29, 06:08 PM
a flying mount at lv 4. Interesting.....

Now the question is, how do you ride it like a cowgirl?

Jack_Simth
2013-09-29, 06:19 PM

Obviously, you dress completely impractically (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Cowgirl_Christine_4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cowgirl_Christine_4.jpg&h=3656&w=2448&sz=3141&tbnid=6AedTqEOJinzbM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=60&zoom=1&usg=__DP4IeDYdyhhJCRUMSt8NaevSJJU=&docid=q3SY1DWYteSy3M&sa=X&ei=V7VIUvWLNY3YyQGh0YCYBg&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAQ)

SowZ
2013-09-29, 06:27 PM
I consider Druids the single most OP class, not because raw power but they are OP level 1-20. From level 1, they make better melee fighters/tanks then fighters and barbs via thier animal companion. throw in full casting, too. Yeah, not a super strong list but a full progression 1-9 so definitely better than bards.

And they have better BAB, twice the HP and skills than a Sorcerer. By level five they can fly, run faster than a monk, burrow, be physically stronger and more durable than a fighter, and be as sneaky as a rogue. All with Wild Shape.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-29, 06:32 PM
A Druid 4 can get a Dire Eagle (RoS) animal companion and use it as a mount, even if they're medium size. Throw in Natural Bond (CV) at 3rd and you still get to count your full Druid level toward its benefits. Plus it's going to be a stronger melee combatant than anyone else in the party for quite a while. On top of that, its light load is up to 399 pounds before the animal companion benefits boost its strength, or three times what the carrying capacity table shows, so it can probably carry at least two PCs with ease.

MinMax Hardcore
2013-09-29, 06:33 PM
I consider Druids the single most OP class, not because raw power but they are OP level 1-20. From level 1, they make better melee fighters/tanks then fighters and barbs via thier animal companion. throw in full casting, too. Yeah, not a super strong list but a full progression 1-9 so definitely better than bards.

And they have better BAB, twice the HP and skills than a Sorcerer. By level five they can fly, run faster than a monk, burrow, be physically stronger and more durable than a fighter, and be as sneaky as a rogue. All with Wild Shape.

Makes you wonder why it is not called Dungeons & Druids.

visigani
2013-09-29, 06:52 PM
Coukdnt the air elemental... being able to hover and having superior defenses.. be used as cover?

SciChronic
2013-09-29, 07:15 PM

This is why druids are Tier 1, they are so versatile and can do it very well without the need to focus on some aspect

need beef? animal companion, SNA, Wild shape
need damage? wild shape/spellsling
need skills? wildshape/spellsling
need control? wildshape/spellsling
need movement? wildshape/spellsling

OP doesnt seem to realize this though.

Spuddles
2013-09-29, 07:51 PM
Eagles are Small, so you'd need a Tiny druid to be able to ride one.

Ah, so they are. Nvm then.

rainstorm
2013-09-29, 07:58 PM
You could get a dust twister from the Sandstorm book. They're air elementals and mounts with light loads of 460 lbs.

SowZ
2013-09-29, 08:01 PM
Coukdnt the air elemental... being able to hover and having superior defenses.. be used as cover?

By RAW, other creatures don't typically provide full cover.

Vortenger
2013-09-29, 08:10 PM

Soft cover, yes, provided its not smaller than you so that people can shoot or swing over it.
for your earlier question, why it can't be a mount, the guys answered it already. You are likely too big to ride it. It has to be one size larger than yourself and must maintain a light load or cannot fly. What good is a grounded air elemental

typing from phone, formatting sucks.

Greenish
2013-09-29, 10:03 PM
Obviously, you dress completely impractically (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Cowgirl_Christine_4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cowgirl_Christine_4.jpg&h=3656&w=2448&sz=3141&tbnid=6AedTqEOJinzbM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=60&zoom=1&usg=__DP4IeDYdyhhJCRUMSt8NaevSJJU=&docid=q3SY1DWYteSy3M&sa=X&ei=V7VIUvWLNY3YyQGh0YCYBg&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAQ)Judging by the amount the outfit covers, that's at least medium armour for females. Also non-metallic and thus druid-friendly.

RaggedAngel
2013-09-29, 10:43 PM
Judging by the amount the outfit covers, that's at least medium armour for females. Also non-metallic and thus druid-friendly.

Sounds about right. I know whenever I'm getting into a fight, my first reaction is to take my shirt off. D&D has shown me the way.

Chronos
2013-09-29, 10:48 PM
<picks a fight with RaggedAngel>

Fax Celestis
2013-09-29, 10:55 PM
Judging by the amount the outfit covers, that's at least medium armour for females. Also non-metallic and thus druid-friendly.

I dunno, man, jeans have rivets. That's studded leather at least.

Occasional Sage
2013-09-29, 11:03 PM

Backwards.

Saidoro
2013-09-29, 11:29 PM
Isn't there a quite cheap belt that gives you permanent Ant Haul? That seems like a much stronger option in many cases.
Muleback cords are cheaper, and generally either of the two would be more than you really need.

Spuddles
2013-09-29, 11:32 PM
Backwards.

Bareback.

Hebebsurutbd

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-29, 11:43 PM
Sheriff: Locked for review.