PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Helping two new players with their builds

IronFist
2013-09-29, 10:46 AM
Hey, guys. One of my PF games is very casual with inexperienced players. I have two new players wanting to join, so I've been discussing about their characters for a while new. While they seem to have their concepts figured out, they can't seem to actually put it on paper, so I wanted to give them somehting they could use as a foundation. I could use help specially with base stats (15 points).

Player 1 was a fan of Soulknives in 3.5 despite them being weak. When I told him about PF Soulknife and specially how they can cut spells with their blades (Absorbing Blade blade skill) he got hooked. We have been discussing a lot about the new Strider game, so a "future ninja" vibe helps as well. For now, I have Human Soulknife 6. For now I'm torn between a SAD build (that only takes off at level 7 with Agile Blade) with all stats 10 save Dex 21 (with human bonus and +1 from level up) and Cha 8 or a more balanced Str 14, Dex 18 (with human bonus and +1 from level up), Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8 that can hold its own a bit better until the next level. Int 13 is for possible requirements and because I know this dude likes smart characters.

Player 2 wanter to play a shounen anime protagonist archetype, but as a female. I think Dragon Style Monk fits perfectly, what with their Elemental Fist boost and energy blast. I'm not so sure about race; oread is the only race with +Strength +Wisdom but it's not specially good (plus they are kind of ugly). Starting with Strength 18 is all buit necessary for a Dragon Style build, after all. I'm not sure about archetypes, as well - I think Martial Artist would make it easier to play while not sucking (once had a player doing this build in a Red Hand of Doom campaign and it was vicious), but we all know hungry ghost qigong is where it is. If she does end up with qigong, which spells abilities should I suggest?

EDIT: Forgot to mention party composition, in case it helps: CG marid Sorcerer 6 (about to change bloodlines), NG sylph Magus 6, CG elf ranger (guide, skirmisher) 5/shadowdancer 1, NG rogue 2/cleric 4 (Luck domain; he only has one domain because of his archetype, can't remember which one it is).

JusticeZero
2013-09-29, 11:00 AM
Humans actually have a variant racial where they get a second floating +2 stat bonus. ("Dual Talent", replaces skilled and bonus feat)
Qigong stacks with everything. There's no reason not to take it.

grarrrg
2013-09-29, 11:43 AM
For now I'm torn between a SAD build (that only takes off at level 7 with Agile Blade) with all stats 10 save Dex 21 (with human bonus and +1 from level up) and Cha 8 or a more balanced Str 14, Dex 18 (with human bonus and +1 from level up), Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8 that can hold its own a bit better until the next level.

I'd go with a more balanced set of stats, especially in the case of 15 point-buy. Gives more options.

Player 2 wanter to play a shounen anime protagonist archetype, but as a female. I think Dragon Style Monk fits perfectly, what with their Elemental Fist boost and energy blast. I'm not so sure about race; oread is the only race with +Strength +Wisdom but it's not specially good (plus they are kind of ugly).

Since Psionics are in play, there's also the Half-Giant, +STR, +WIS, -DEX.

Unbalanced
2013-09-29, 11:47 AM

A half-giant monk sounds like all kinds of awesome and hilarious to me, haha!

IronFist
2013-09-29, 12:34 PM
Humans actually have a variant racial where they get a second floating +2 stat bonus. ("Dual Talent", replaces skilled and bonus feat)
Qigong stacks with everything. There's no reason not to take it.

It stacks with everything but Martial Artist, that's the thing. :smallwink:
Martial Artist loses the ki pool. I did not know about Dual Talent, I think it could work... but then again human would become only a flat +2 to two stats.

Oh, that's good. I'll run it by her.
EDIT: I'm surprised to note DSP never adressed how Powerful Build and unarmed strikes interact.

Any suggestions on qigong and blade skills?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-29, 01:39 PM
Is the soul knife going two hander or two weapons? That affect which skills to take, but in any case I would take Combat Slide, Fluid Form and eventually Absorbing Blade.