PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Elf Alchemist optimization advice

Unbalanced
2013-09-29, 11:32 AM
Looking for some help in setting up this build.
Got an Elf Alchemist (vivisectionist & beastmorph) and I'm having some trouble working out general feat choices and progression choices.

Looking at starting ability scores of:
STR 14
DEX 17
CON 12
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 8
(after racial mods)

With the intention to take full advantage of sneak attack bonuses and get in nice and close with a weapon such as a cestus. I was aiming for TWF, but I'm not sure if it'll be possible.
Thinking weapon finesse or TWF at level 1.
The idea is in lower levels be mainly rogue-esque, but later on, once the rogue approach playing a non-rogue class starts to be less effective, look a little more to the beastmorph mutagen abilities and "hulking out" with feral mutagen in battles.
Oh, and definitely intend to go for Master Chymist PrC, as to what level I jump into that is another thing I'm not sure of.
Thinking Alchemist 7/Master Chymist 10/Barbarian 3 or something along those lines, so I can also rage whilst mutated (eventually).

Starting level 1. Any official Paizo material acceptable.

Vortenger
2013-09-29, 12:37 PM
You've read this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15652548), I hope?

grarrrg
2013-09-29, 12:49 PM
Elf Alchemist (vivisectionist & beastmorph)
Thinking Alchemist 7/Master Chymist 10/Barbarian 3 or something along those lines, so I can also rage whilst mutated (eventually).

No, you NEED Alchemist 10, that way you can get Pounce through Beastmorph.
Also, Master Chymist, by RAW, only stacks for Bomb damage, not for Sneak Damage (although a lenient DM may let it stack for Sneak since you traded Bombs).

Take 7 levels of Alchemist, then 1 level of Master Chymist for the extra Mutagen/day, then back to Alchemist for another 3 levels for Pounce.

Also, I'm not really sure if the Barbarian levels are worth it.

Mr. Whatever
2013-09-29, 03:31 PM
I've played a weird Alchemist before (I can dig up his stats if you want I got him to level 8) and all I can say is this; have fun.

I honestly believe you can have more fun with the Alchemist than any other class. I played a hyper intelligent and very strong half orc. He would lob bombs, turn into the hulk (Bulls Strength + Enlarge Person + Mutagen + Great Ax = FUN) was casually obsessed with pumpkins, a zombie monk maid that was gored by a skeleton triceratops, could regenerate, and had the campaign continues probably would have ended up an immortal mummy with wings and extra arms and maybe some clones, zombies, and simulacrum all obeying his demented wishes.

Actual advice includes; Iron Will, remember that your mutagen can boost Dex instead of strength if you want, and try to remember you can brew potions early. I almost never used brew potion because I kept forgetting about it.

Enjoy!

Also seriously; alchemical zombies. If you can't convince your DM to let you have the alchemical variation on zombies, you're doing it wrong.

Unbalanced
2013-09-29, 09:18 PM
No, you NEED Alchemist 10, that way you can get Pounce through Beastmorph.
Also, Master Chymist, by RAW, only stacks for Bomb damage, not for Sneak Damage (although a lenient DM may let it stack for Sneak since you traded Bombs).

Take 7 levels of Alchemist, then 1 level of Master Chymist for the extra Mutagen/day, then back to Alchemist for another 3 levels for Pounce.

Also, I'm not really sure if the Barbarian levels are worth it.

Very glad you pointed this out. Not sure if its worth passing up bombs if I'm just going to then lose half the sneak attack potential by going into the PrC.
I'm even considering ditching vivisectionist at the moment...
Bombs just seem too good to throw away (no pun intended).
Maybe just got for a bomb throwing geeky type for the first few rounds of combat them hulking out and mincing up enemies with natural attacks.