PDA

View Full Version : I PAWNCH IT! (A stupid martial fix)

Zelkon
2013-09-29, 12:15 PM
There are those who use magic, and there are those who use weapons. Everyone else (coughMONKcough), especially those who use fists, were laughed at. Then came the PAWNCH, blah, blah, blah I'm on a time constraint here.

The PAWNCH
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Pawnch, Uncanny Dodge, Mettle, Evasion, Really Durable

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Sweat, Magic Fist

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3| Enlarge Fist

4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|Detachable Fist

5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Yell, Punch Magic

6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|Fast

7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Punch Scryer

8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|Delayed Punch

9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|Make by Punching

10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7|Seeing Stars

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+7|Really Fast

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+8|

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|A Doombot All Along

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+9|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|Foresight

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+10|Really, Really Fast

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Like, Super Fast

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d12

Class Skills:
Intimidate, Jump
Skill Points at 1st Level: 8
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2

Pawnch (Ex): A PAWNCH can punch things hard enough to do nearly everything. He gains Pawnch points as a Prison of his level would have Power Points. Punches cost (2xlevel-1) Pawnch points, and he must succeed on an attack rather than force a saving throw.

1st level:
Shield Punch: As Shield spell
Motivating Punch: As Comprehend Languages or Charm Person spell.
Identifying Punch: As Identify spell. Each type of magic item vibrates just so when he punches it in such a way.
Big Knockout: As Sleep Spell.
Shadow Puppet Punch: As Color Spray
A Whole New Man: Disguise Self, but only in the eyes of the target of the punch.
Enfeebling Punch: As Ray of Enfeblement, but only in melee range.
Fear Puch: As cause fear.
Punch Rope: As Animate Rope, because your punch is so hard it gives the rope life and simultaneously makes it fear you enough to do whatever you want with it.
Punch the Ground: As Jump or Expeditious Retreat, or you take no damage from a fall.
Punch Writing: As Erase
Punch Down/Up: As Reduce Person/Enlarge Person
2nd:
Punch Shut: As Arcane Lock
Punch Arrows: As Protection from Arrows.
Punch Energy: As Resist Energy
etc.

Really Durable (Ex): The PAWNCHER is never affected negatively by the weather, he has DR 10/-, and his AC gains a permanent, untyped +4 bonus.

Sweat (Ex): With all that punching, you’re bound to sweat a bit. You can utilise this sweat very well. These are a separate pool of points, and a PAWNCHER has a number of Sweat points as a Wielder of his level. Sweats cost (2xlevel-1) Sweat points.

1st:
Greasy Sweat: As Grease.
Obscuring Sweat: As Obscuring Mist.
Burning Sweat: As Burning Hands.
Sweat Missile: As Magic Missile.
Sweat Spray: As Color Spray.
2nd:
Sweat Arrow: As Acid Arrow.
Foggy Sweat: As Fog Cloud.
Shiny Sweat: As Glitterdust.
Webbed Sweat: As Web.
Etc.

Magic Fist (Ex): A PAWNCHER’s fist is so special, it can become magical. A PAWNCHER can have his fist enchanted as if it were a weapon.

Enlarge Fist (Ex): With enough effort, a PAWNCHER can enlarge his fist. He becomes one size category larger.

Detachable Fist (Ex): A PAWNCHER can pull off his fist and have it act independently of him. Don’t worry, he can punch it back on later. It has its own set of actions (and is not affected by the Fast chain of abilities). It can do anything you can do, but you draw from the same Pawnch and Sweat pool.

Yell (Ex): A PAWNCHER can yell really loudly, and communicate with anyone on the same plane. This communication is one way. It is only comprehensible to his intended recipient.

Punch Magic (Ex): A PAWNCHER can dispel any spell cast on him or anywhere within his melee reach, as the Dispel Magic spell. His caster level is his class level. At 9th level, this improves to Greater Dispell Magic.

Fast (Ex): A PAWNCHER gets two turns a round, on the same initiative count.

Punch Scryer (Ex): A PAWNCHER knows when he’s being scryed upon, and may punch the scrying sensor, destroying it and dealing 1d6 points of damage to its controller, just as a warning.

Delayed Punch (Ex): A PAWNCHER can punch something so hard, that the effect is delayed until a certain event happens. This works like a Contingency spell, but for Pawnches instead of spells.

Make by Punching (Ex): A PAWNCHER may create all magical items without needing to know the spells needed to cast them, but must pay double the XP cost.

Seeing Stars (Ex): A PAWNCHER can cause anyone he punches to see an illusion, as the Persistent Image spell.

Really Fast (Ex): A PAWNCHER gets three turns per round instead of two.

A Doombot All Along (Ex): Whenever a PAWNCHER is killed, he turns out to be just a Doombot. His real body was actually left behind some time ago. However, he has designed the Doombot to transmit all memories back to him, so any experience points earned as a Doombot is kept, as are memories.

Foresight (Ex): A PAWNCHER is always under the effects of a Foresight spell.

Really, Really Fast (Ex): A PAWNCHER has four turns per round.

Like, Super Fast (Ex): A PAWNCHER has five turns per round.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-29, 12:48 PM
It makes an unbelievably good dip-- arguably better than Lion Totem Barbarian. DR 10/--, an unnamed +4 AC, and all good saves? Holy crapsticks yes.

The skills are really weird. Does he really only have two class skills (everyone gets Craft and Profession), and never gain any Int bonus?

And as for the goal... I mean, yes, it's T1, but... it's T1 because it gets what looks like it's going to be re-fluffed full casting-- with attack rolls instead of saves, so pawunches ALWAYS work-- and mini-Artificing. Oh, and on top of "full spontaneous Ex casting," he gets multiple turns? It's not T1, it's Tier Borked.

Zelkon
2013-09-29, 12:56 PM
It makes an unbelievably good dip-- arguably better than Lion Totem Barbarian. DR 10/--, an unnamed +4 AC, and all good saves? Holy crapsticks yes.

The skills are really weird. Does he really only have two class skills (everyone gets Craft and Profession), and never gain any Int bonus?

And as for the goal... I mean, yes, it's T1, but... it's T1 because it gets what looks like it's going to be re-fluffed full casting-- with attack rolls instead of saves, so pawunches ALWAYS work-- and mini-Artificing. Oh, and on top of "full spontaneous Ex casting," he gets multiple turns? It's not T1, it's Tier Borked.

Oh, indeed. It's terribly designed. It exists merely for comedic value.

bekeleven
2013-09-29, 10:39 PM
The Brawler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204494)

Kazyan
2013-09-29, 11:12 PM
And then eleventy billion people immediately requested this in the PbP board's gestalt games.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-30, 12:19 AM
And then eleventy billion people immediately requested this in the PbP board's gestalt games.

And then their respective prospective DMs immediately got out their banhammers, and much blood was had that day.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-30, 04:32 AM
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6290/86660283.jpg

Yakk
2013-09-30, 10:27 AM
Too many dead levels.

Maybe a leadership feature? (PAWNCH buddy: gain the equivalent of a druid companion).

That leaves 4 levels to fill.

Somensjev
2013-09-30, 10:42 AM
this is awesome :smallbiggrin:
possibly the single best class i've seen in the homebrew section (then again, i usually look at races)

Zelkon
2013-09-30, 12:05 PM
this is awesome :smallbiggrin:
possibly the single best class i've seen in the homebrew section (then again, i usually look at races)

Well, this class is chaotic and stupid.

Yakk
2013-09-30, 01:13 PM
Now that I think of it:

Replace Detatchable Fist with
PAWNCH BUDDY:
By spending 1 hour in a montage remembering your youth, your old PAWNCH BUDDY appears. Your PAWNCH BUDDY has your exact same stats, a slightly different name, can act completely independently, and each of you are aware of everything that happens to the other via the magic of montage. You share PAWNCH and SWEAT pools. Your PAWNCH BUDDY considers you to be their PAWNCH BUDDY.

If your PAWNCH BUDDY dies, you can have another 1 hour montage remembering your youth in order to bring another PAWNCH BUDDY. If you do so, the old PAWNCH BUDDY is no longer your PAWNCH BUDDY, and if brought back from the dead will be a foe.

Note: your PAWNCH BUDDY can also do this montage to replace you.

Zelkon
2013-09-30, 01:34 PM
Now that I think of it:

Replace Detatchable Fist with
PAWNCH BUDDY:
By spending 1 hour in a montage remembering your youth, your old PAWNCH BUDDY appears. Your PAWNCH BUDDY has your exact same stats, a slightly different name, can act completely independently, and each of you are aware of everything that happens to the other via the magic of montage. You share PAWNCH and SWEAT pools. Your PAWNCH BUDDY considers you to be their PAWNCH BUDDY.

If your PAWNCH BUDDY dies, you can have another 1 hour montage remembering your youth in order to bring another PAWNCH BUDDY. If you do so, the old PAWNCH BUDDY is no longer your PAWNCH BUDDY, and if brought back from the dead will be a foe.

Note: your PAWNCH BUDDY can also do this montage to replace you.

Essentially, ten turns in two different places at level twenty. Hilariously OP. I'll add it in.

Somensjev
2013-09-30, 01:58 PM
Well, this class is chaotic and stupid.

that's why i love my name :smallbiggrin:

Yakk
2013-09-30, 02:48 PM
This does give me an idea.

What if you had a mundane class that could use magic items in exceedingly creative ways, that replicate magic spells.

Ie, given a flaming sword, could cast burning hands with it. Given a magic keen dagger, they could cut planar portals with it. With a figurine of wondrous power, could summon a stronger/tougher/more permanent ally.

They would be "completely mundane", but they could make magic items do things that nobody else could do with them.

Such abilities could be just part of a class which would have pseudo-mundane abilities, but give such a class access to T1/2/3 breadth or depth.

As an example, take PAWNCH, add requirements for each of the offensive spells in terms of an item you need to manipulate, and you wouldn't lose *much* tierage, but you'd go from "you are punching holes between realities with your fists?" to "you are using a super-sharp knife to cut holes between realities", which stretches "mundane" less.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-30, 03:33 PM
That feels like a cool enough idea that it should be built off a non-silly chassis (ie, one that doesn't get 5 turns/turn). You should totally go for it, though.

Jormengand
2013-09-30, 03:35 PM
I had an idea for a class that used weapons in almost-magical ways - throwing mini fireballs with Fire Poi, for example, or causing small earthquakes with hammers. Could work.

Yakk
2013-09-30, 04:28 PM
Keep detatchable fist, but use it to fill in an upper level slot.

PAWNCH BUDDY, being more mundane (but ridiculously more OP), should be the level 4 ability.

(And, if you word it right, Detatchable Fist can also produce its own PAWNCH BUDDY, as can your PAWNCH BUDDY's detatchable fist.)

(Oh my: currently, is there anything preventing the Detatchable Fist from using Detatchable Fist? I guess the lack of fists to detatch... or, alternatively, the lack of something left behind after the detatchable fist detatches its fist, which it most assuredly has.)

Zelkon
2013-09-30, 06:34 PM
Keep detatchable fist, but use it to fill in an upper level slot.

PAWNCH BUDDY, being more mundane (but ridiculously more OP), should be the level 4 ability.

(And, if you word it right, Detatchable Fist can also produce its own PAWNCH BUDDY, as can your PAWNCH BUDDY's detatchable fist.)

(Oh my: currently, is there anything preventing the Detatchable Fist from using Detatchable Fist? I guess the lack of fists to detatch... or, alternatively, the lack of something left behind after the detatchable fist detatches its fist, which it most assuredly has.)

Now that you mention it, no there's not. But I'm fine with that.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-30, 09:32 PM
You can't call this a truly versatile class until you give it a chainsaw. Then you can solve all the problems. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1PhK9EC58)