PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ring of Dimension Hop

Werephilosopher
2013-09-29, 06:45 PM
An 11th-level Ardent with the Freedom mantle wants to make a ring that gives her unlimited uses of the Dimension Hop power (CPsi p83). Using the SRD's "Creating magic items" guidelines:

Use-activated item cost = spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp.
Psionic version = power level x manifester level (or power point cost) x 2,000 gp.
Cost = 1 x 11 x 2,000 gp = 22,000 gp.

The base power teleports the user up to 10 ft away. For every additional power point the range increases by 5 ft. Also, the power takes a swift action to manifest.

So this ring allows the ardent to teleport up to 60 ft., as a swift action, an unlimited number of times per day. Did I do something wrong with my math? This item could give my Telflammar Shadowlord 3 full-attacks/round with Shadow Pounce. I'm wary of whether this is too good to be true.

Nettlekid
2013-09-29, 07:32 PM
The rules on creating custom psionic items, let alone items based on augmented powers, are pretty shaky. In fact, especially for that latter part, I don't know if they exist. But if they do, then they would probably work like that, and so yes, the ring does what you'd want it to do. However, you wouldn't get three full attacks in a round because you only have one swift action each round. You could swift action teleport up, full attack, and then use your regular full-round action to full attack if you so chose. Usually it's easiest to just use the Swordsage's Shadow _____ maneuvers for this.

Werephilosopher
2013-09-29, 07:32 PM
Also, since the rules for adding effects to existing magic items calls for multiplying the cost by 1.5 (MIC p233), adding this dimension hop ability to a Ring of Blinking would be 60,000 gp. Find a way to ignore the 20% miss chance from blinking, and that's three full-attacks per round, plus sneak attacks, using Shadow Pounce.

Werephilosopher
2013-09-29, 07:34 PM
The rules on creating custom psionic items, let alone items based on augmented powers, are pretty shaky. In fact, especially for that latter part, I don't know if they exist. But if they do, then they would probably work like that, and so yes, the ring does what you'd want it to do. However, you wouldn't get three full attacks in a round because you only have one swift action each round. You could swift action teleport up, full attack, and then use your regular full-round action to full attack if you so chose. Usually it's easiest to just use the Swordsage's Shadow _____ maneuvers for this.

Couldn't I spend my move and regular actions as swift actions, to teleport (and full-attack) 2 more times?

EDIT: Just found in the SRD that there's only one swift action/round... learn something new everyday! That makes this slightly less broken than I thought. But the Ring could be further enchanted by a Trapsmith, who has Dimension Door as a level 2 spell... That would allow 2 teleports/round.

rot42
2013-09-29, 09:11 PM
Look at the last augment to Psionic Dimension Door immediately before Dimension Hop for a move action teleport that keeps with the psionic theme.

Nettlekid
2013-09-29, 09:34 PM
Couldn't I spend my move and regular actions as swift actions, to teleport (and full-attack) 2 more times?

EDIT: Just found in the SRD that there's only one swift action/round... learn something new everyday! That makes this slightly less broken than I thought. But the Ring could be further enchanted by a Trapsmith, who has Dimension Door as a level 2 spell... That would allow 2 teleports/round.

Yep, as you found, you only get one Swift per turn. A friend of mine who played a Stoneguard Sentinal was dying to trade moves for swifts, but couldn't.

You could do that, but D.Door is a standard action, which means that although you'd teleport again, you lose the full attack you'd get with your normal full-round action, so you're still only at two.