PDA

View Full Version : Playing a 2nd lvl Ranger.

Vistra
2013-09-29, 07:20 PM
Hey guys, as most of you might already know due to my past posts I am playing a Mystic Ranger level 2.

I'm actually in the middle of a campainge tonight and i'm just wondering if i'm doing it right.

I have three Cantrips and two 1st lvl spells. I took 3x Cure Light Wounds, and 2x Hunter's Mercy.

For feats I took Wild Cohort, Point Blank Shot, and Precise Shot.

So just finished the first combat, and I sent in my pet to attack while I attacked at range. I would spend one round to cast Hunter's Mercy and then attack on my next round.

Is this how I should do it? Is there anything else I should be doing on my 1st round after casting Hunter's Mercy, other then ordeing my Wolf to attack?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-29, 07:43 PM
There's not much else you can do in a round besides cast a standard-action spell and use a move action to handle animal.

I wouldn't prepare all of the same spell. Keep Entangle prepared once just in case, and be aware that you can cast Endure Elements every day if necessary.

Two-handed melee is a bit better than archery starting out, as you can cast Rhino's Rush and charge in for double damage on the same round. As an archer, you'll want to dip into Scout for enough levels to get the feat Swift Hunter from Complete Scoundrel. That will make your Ranger levels advance your Skirmish damage as though they were Scout levels, which combined with Greater Manyshot (www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) will significantly improve your damage.

Vistra
2013-09-29, 07:54 PM
There's not much else you can do in a round besides cast a standard-action spell and use a move action to handle animal.

I wouldn't prepare all of the same spell. Keep Entangle prepared once just in case, and be aware that you can cast Endure Elements every day if necessary.

Two-handed melee is a bit better than archery starting out, as you can cast Rhino's Rush and charge in for double damage on the same round. As an archer, you'll want to dip into Scout for enough levels to get the feat Swift Hunter from Complete Scoundrel. That will make your Ranger levels advance your Skirmish damage as though they were Scout levels, which combined with Greater Manyshot (www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) will significantly improve your damage.

Really would love the Swift Hunter option, alas, i'm going for a mounted archer and for some reason skirmish was errated to not work while mounted....Although there is a ACF for scout called Light Calvary which is a mount focused scout, so i'm not sure if this is an option?

Chronos
2013-09-29, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't consider Entangle to be a "just in case" spell-- That'd be my first resort in any given combat. Entangle is pretty much an auto-win against anything that doesn't have ranged attacks, and it hampers even them.