PDA

View Full Version : Mix Master Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 PRC (PEACH)

Twogunkid
2013-09-29, 08:17 PM
A Mixmaster combines sick beats and awesome drinks. Spreading musical mixtures wherever they go.

Hit Die: d6

Prerequisites:

Feats:Brew Potion, Melodic Casting
Skills: Perform (Any) 10, Spellcraft 6 Ranks, Concentration 6 Ranks
Special: Bardic Music Class Feature 5/day
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|
Class Features|
Spells
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Bardic Abilities, Improved Potion Making, Bottled Bard|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Musical Mixture|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Improved Potion Making|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Tough Stomach |+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
5th|+3|+4|+2|+4|Bardic Brew, Crooner's Cocktail, Improved Potion Making|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
[/table]Skill Points: 4+INT mod per level
Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Bardic Abilities: (Su) A Mix Master may add half their Mix Master level to their bard level for the purposes of determining musics per day, and their bardic knowledge ability

Improved Potion Making: (Su) A Mix Master may store higher level spells in potions. At first level a Mix Master can create potions of up to fourth level spells. At third level a Mix Master may create potions of up to fifth level spells, and at fifth level this improves to store sixth level spells.

Bottled Bard: (Su) A Mix Master may store bardic musics in potions. A Mix Master may create a potion based on the following formula. Required ranks in performx5 gold pieces+ Required Ranks in Perform XP. If a bardic music would normally affect more than one target it affects only the drinker of the potion. The bardic music's duration is equal to a number of rounds equal the creator's Mix Master level. They may extend it additional rounds at the cost 5gp and 1XP per additional round up to a maximum duration of twice the creator's Mix Master level. The bonus or effect of the bardic music is equal to the bonus the Mix Master possessed at the time of creation. (IE Potion of Dragon Fire Inspiration +2d6 remains that way even if later the creator gains Dragon Fire Inspiration +3d6)

Musical Mixture: (Su) The Mix Master may add bardic music affects to potions they create by adding the costs of the two. The new potion costs GP Cost of the Original+GP Cost of the Music+XP Cost of the Original+XP Cost of the Music. (See Bottled Bard Ability for the costs of the music)

Tough Stomach: The Mix Master through experimentation has developed an immunity to ingested poisons.

Bardic Brew:(Su) At 5th level the Mix Master has developed the potent bardic brew. The Mix Master may now combine two spells of the same level into a potent potion. This potion costs the same as the two base potions but delivers the same effects of each simultaneously.

Crooner's Cocktail: (Su) At 5th level the Mix Master may consume a potion as part of a bardic music performance. All affected by the performance may also receive the effects of the potion. Initiating a performance with a crooner's cocktail is a standard action.

cr101
2013-09-30, 10:59 AM
I really like the idea of this, there are just a few tweaks I would make to it.

Prereqs all look good. Do be aware that someone could go Bard 1/Wizard 6 (taking care of the Perform requirement via Able Learner, or something) and then progress their Wizard casting, and brew 6th level Wizard Spells as potions, and affect their whole party with them...

Improved Potion Making: Brew Potion lets you brew potions up to third level. This immediately increases that to fifth. You may want to rework this so that it progresses from 4 on odd levels, i.e. fourth level potions at one, fifth at three, and sixth at five.

Bottled Bard: There should be an upper limit on how long the effect can last. Up to twice your Mix Master level, perhaps.

Tough Stomach: Rather than flat immunity, a +4 to saves versus ingested poisons is more typical. After all, dwarves only get a +2...

Bardic Brew: The +5 CL seems a little out of place here. It should have some other benefit than just two effects, but I'm not sure if bumping Caster Level fits, really. Maybe temp hit points?

Crooner's Cocktail: This is strong. Really, really strong, especially if your spell list is better than the original bard's (Sublime Chord, Wizard entry, whatever). You can buff your entire party with two sixth level spells and a bardic music effect, all in a standard action. And then you can do it again, and again, as long as you have potions and bardic music performances. You may want to think about limiting this to an x/day, or limiting the number of people affected (Mix Master level + CHA mod, or something).

All in all, it's an interesting class that provides a bard with more party-buff power. I'd rate it at a -1 PrC, especially since it provides half-progression for bardic music, and full casting. Put in an optimizer's hands, this can become downright scary.

Lappy9001
2013-09-30, 01:28 PM
You may want to work a bit on your formatting. Space things out, specify (Ex) from (Su), etc. Here, I cleaned up the table for ya:

Class Features|
Spells
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Bardic Abilities, Improved Potion Making, Bottled Bard|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Tough Stomach|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Improved Potion Making|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
5th|+3|+4|+2|+4|Bardic Brew, Crooner's Cocktail|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
[/table]

Class Features|
Spells
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Improved Potion Making|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
5th|+3|+4|+2|+4|Bardic Brew, Crooner's Cocktail|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Casting Class
[/table]

What's the HD on this guy? d6?

I like the idea of improved potion making but cr101 expresses some valid concerns.

I'm cool with tough stomach myself. Ingested posions aren't really that common, and it makes sense.

Twogunkid
2013-09-30, 02:24 PM
You may want to work a bit on your formatting. Space things out, specify (Ex) from (Su), etc. Here, I cleaned up the table for ya:

Class Features|
Spells
[/table]

Class Features|
Spells
[/table]

What's the HD on this guy? d6?

I like the idea of improved potion making but cr101 expresses some valid concerns.

I'm cool with tough stomach myself. Ingested posions aren't really that common, and it makes sense.

Thanks. I've added HD and made changes based on cr101's advice to make entry more difficult and broke up Improved Potion Making. (It would now require a five level bard dip to abuse other spell lists easily though sublime chord cheese remains.

Twogunkid
2013-09-30, 02:31 PM
What do y'all think on BaB? Should I drop it to half?