PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Psychic Warrior help

Andreaz
2013-09-29, 08:46 PM
I am making a psychic warrior that will spend most of his time wading into melee breaking stuff, but I'm not sure which feats to take. Paths are Survivor and Weapon Master.

I already plan to get the psicrystal, containment and share pain. Meditation will likely come up before 10.
Which other feats should I take? Exhausting Critical is pretty boss but it won't come online until the very last level :|

The campaign may well involve a large number of mobs at times, since it's Zerg-inspired,

Doh, forgot the stats, already adjusted for Elan.
Strength 18
Dexterity 12
Constitution 14
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 15
Charisma 7

SolioFebalas
2013-10-01, 03:55 AM
Improved Natural Attack (claw), Karmic Strike, Expanded Knowledge (Share Pain), Rapidstrike (claw), Expanded Knowledge (Metamorphosis), Metamorphic Transfer, Improved Rapidstrike (claw) so on.....

Andreaz
2013-10-01, 04:34 AM
You have a good point with metamorphosis, kind sir or dame, but this is a pathfinder game, no such thing as karmic strike or rapidstrike :x

Sayt
2013-10-01, 05:48 AM
Karmic Strike and the Rapidstrike chain are all 3.5 material, which should maybe be tagged as such in a threat marked [PF].

SolioFebalas
2013-10-01, 08:08 AM
Sorry, miss that it is PF question.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 08:52 AM
The campaign may well involve a large number of mobs at times, since it's Zerg-inspired.

Power Attack -> Cleave are must-haves then. Overchannel (and Talented) will let you Expand to Huge size quickly in your career, making you a combat powerhouse and a more effective tank at the same time. When you pick up a Belt of Physical Perfection, you can then get Combat Reflexes as well. (Don't bother getting the feat before then, you don't have enough Dex for more than one AoO anyway.)

Andreaz
2013-10-01, 10:04 AM
Power Attack -> Cleave are must-haves then. Overchannel (and Talented) will let you Expand to Huge size quickly in your career, making you a combat powerhouse and a more effective tank at the same time. When you pick up a Belt of Physical Perfection, you can then get Combat Reflexes as well. (Don't bother getting the feat before then, you don't have enough Dex for more than one AoO anyway.)
Here's how it looks like it'll be at the moment.
Starting at level 2 with survivor path, Psicrystal Affinity, Extend Power and Power Attack.

Extend is probably the only Meta i'll get, and I put it there simply because there's not much to take at BAB 0.

Cleave at 3, Psiscrystal Containment and Meditation at 5, Expanded Martial Power at 7.

At 8 and 9, at any given order, Great Cleave and EK:Share Pain. And Weaponmaster path.

People say Lunge is bad, but is it really? I can actually expect to cut through swathes of mobs with GCleave, so it'd be of help, especially when Huge.
Also not sure what weapon to use, and I have no idea what feats to take after level 10.

The power selection is pretty standard. Expansion, Vigor, Off precognition (may use Defensive instead, not sure) and probably Stomp. Then Hustle and likely STR of my Enemy. I fear we'll be stuck with CLW wands for healing so I may et Body Adjustment.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 10:39 AM
I would skip GCleave honestly. Generally, if they're weak enough for you to use it then you didn't need it, and if they're strong enough to matter you won't get to use it. The exception of course is if your DM is truly going for a mass combat campaign with things like mob rules.

Extend Power isn't doing anything for you at first level, I would honestly move it further down (3 or 5) and replace it with something like Overchannel or even Improved Initiative. And if you're not planning to get Talented at all, consider skipping Psicrystal Containment and Psionic Meditation - if your only metapsionic is Extend, use it to buff in the morning and simply keep your focus on all day so you can benefit from your Trance. Survivor and Weaponmaster have lackluster Maneuvers so you have no real reason to ever drop your focus. This will free up two feats for something more useful like Improved Trip, Furious Focus, Step Up or possibly even some style feats.

Andreaz
2013-10-01, 10:45 AM
Expanded Martial Power is reason enough: Burn focus to manifest any power under the highest level you have with the same action as any melee attack.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 10:56 AM
Looks like that one didn't make it to the PFSRD yet, but anyway - meh. Psywars aren't Magi, they're more the "buff up and wade in" kind of gish than the "channel spells while attacking" kind of gish.

Andreaz
2013-10-01, 11:10 AM
Looks like that one didn't make it to the PFSRD yet, but anyway - meh. Psywars aren't Magi, they're more the "buff up and wade in" kind of gish than the "channel spells while attacking" kind of gish.

It's in the beta for ultimate psionics, and the dm already approved it.

I agree with you, psychic warriors are not magi, they don't blast and slash.
They hulk and smash, and being able to cast the potent, but short-lived buffs without wasting actions to do it (like most minute/level and round/level buffs) sounds quite valuable.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 11:29 AM
But you're forgetting that Psywars typically don't waste actions. Lots of your buffs are natively swift, then you've also got Hustle, Schism, Temporal Acceleration, Dimension Slide/Fold Space to jump around etc.

Psionic Meditation isn't bad by any means, but it's also something you can do without fairly painlessly - and that goes double for Psicrystal Containment.

Andreaz
2013-10-01, 11:35 AM
Good Point. Time to revise!
Multiclassing into War Mind. Yay or nay?