PDA

View Full Version : where can you go with spring attack?

CyberThread
2013-09-29, 10:22 PM
What exactly can you go with spring attack, instead of the pounce method?

Big Fau
2013-09-29, 11:17 PM
Over there, over there, and up there.

In all honesty, not very far unless you are willing to invest in Bounding Assault/Rapid Blitz/Dervish levels (the latter being quite good). Jaunter is also an option.

Spring Attack really should not have been a feat...

lsfreak
2013-09-30, 12:01 AM

Or if it was a feat, one with a) no prereqs and b) should just be split movement around a standard action, not movement around an attack action. Which is basically what Flyby Attack does, and is much better despite requiring flight to pull off.

Really, there's little to no reason to take Spring Attack over pounce if both are available, especially since pounce is generally much less resource-intensive to get. Throw on Travel Devotion and you by and large have Spring Attack Plus.

Killer Angel
2013-09-30, 06:10 AM

It's not so bad, and you can have some fun with it, but it really should have not prereq.

...instead of the pounce method?
Pounce is not core: a feat as SA without prereq. in the PHB would have made sense.

Darrin
2013-09-30, 08:30 AM
If you have a way to get another move action (via hustle, Marshal's grant move action, or Factotum's Cunning Surge), you can move + full attack + finish moving.

nedz
2013-09-30, 08:36 AM
If you have a way to get another move action (via [I]hustle[/I1], Marshal's grant move action, or Factotum's Cunning Surge), you can move + full attack + finish moving.

It's hard to do this with the Marshal's GMA feature since the move actions happen on the Marshal's turn. You only get your full round actions later when it is your turn.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-30, 08:37 AM
Way back when Shadowdancer was the SI for Iron Chef I considered a build involving Spring Attack, Battle Jump and Pounce. The general gist was to trigger battle jump via Spring attack and reap the benefits of double damage + pounce followed by hiding. While interesting and somewhat effective I could do pretty much the same with Battle Jump and Pounce alone.

Person_Man
2013-09-30, 09:17 AM
It's a trap that is not worth the investment cost for the modest returns, and should be avoided. If you really want to be able to move, attack, and then keep moving, get flight (Dragonborn or Raptorian), take the Flyby Attack feat, and then take a class that focuses on Standard Actions (any full caster, Tome of Battle, etc).