PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Warforged Plating and the Soul Chakra

Red Fel
2013-09-29, 10:23 PM
Okay, here's something that's been bugging me for awhile, and I haven't been able to find a straight answer on it.

Warforged, unless they take a feat to "lose" it, have composite plating that takes up their armor/robe slot. They cannot wear equipment in that slot.

The Soul Chakra (Magic of Incarnum) corresponds to the armor/robe slot.

Now, regardless of restrictions, you can shape a soulmeld on that slot, or any other slot. The question is this: Does the composite armor merely preclude the use of other equipment, or does it count as having equipment in that slot? If it merely precludes, it would seem that this does not preclude a Warforged from binding a soulmeld to the Soul Chakra. But if it counts as having armor, that would certainly preclude binding a soulmeld.

So, which is it? Can a Warforged with plating bind a soulmeld to the Soul Chakra?

As a side note, I believe the only way to open the Soul Chakra is by reaching Incarnate 19. Let's not discuss whether this is a wise use of class levels.

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-29, 10:27 PM
Okay, here's something that's been bugging me for awhile, and I haven't been able to find a straight answer on it.

Warforged, unless they take a feat to "lose" it, have composite plating that takes up their armor/robe slot. They cannot wear equipment in that slot.

The Soul Chakra (Magic of Incarnum) corresponds to the armor/robe slot.

Now, regardless of restrictions, you can shape a soulmeld on that slot, or any other slot. The question is this: Does the composite armor merely preclude the use of other equipment, or does it count as having equipment in that slot? If it merely precludes, it would seem that this does not preclude a Warforged from binding a soulmeld to the Soul Chakra. But if it counts as having armor, that would certainly preclude binding a soulmeld.

So, which is it? Can a Warforged with plating bind a soulmeld to the Soul Chakra?

As a side note, I believe the only way to open the Soul Chakra is by reaching Incarnate 19. Let's not discuss whether this is a wise use of class levels.

iirc, Warforged are counted (if they haven't taken the feat saying otherwise) as having the armor slot completely ocupied by the plating.

Waker
2013-09-29, 10:38 PM
To my understanding of the Composite Plating rules, you would be able to utilize the Soul Chakra if you have not enchanted your plating. Of course that is somewhat unlikely as a lvl 19 character, so your best bet is to just take Split Chakra.

Psyren
2013-09-29, 10:40 PM
Bound soulmelds interfere with items on the body in two ways:

1) The meld cannot physically occupy the same space as the item.
2) The item is magic.

None of the Soul soulmelds violate the former - your plating does count as armor, but it's part of your body, so you can (physically) wear a robe or vest over it. The latter however is the problem - Warforged CP explicitly takes up the body slot even unenchanted, and therefore you cannot bind a soulmeld to that slot without something like Split Chakra. You can however enchant your body, so you can put enhancements on it just as good if not better than what the Soul bind would have given you.

One other trick you can try is see if your DM will let you enchant your composite plating and turn it into an Incarnum Focus item.

NB: Necrocarnates(/vivicarnates) get the soul chakra too.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-29, 11:19 PM
Couldn't you also take the Unarmored Body feat?

Red Fel
2013-09-30, 06:48 AM
iirc, Warforged are counted (if they haven't taken the feat saying otherwise) as having the armor slot completely ocupied by the plating.

That's a reasonable position, and it makes sense. My hope was to have a more specific ruling, however.

To my understanding of the Composite Plating rules, you would be able to utilize the Soul Chakra if you have not enchanted your plating. Of course that is somewhat unlikely as a lvl 19 character, so your best bet is to just take Split Chakra.

This is a good point. And yeah, Soul Chakra either requires 19 Incarnate or an Epic feat, so that's not happening until late, LATE in the game. But remember, you cannot bind a soulmeld if that space is occupied by a magic item, but that may also preclude mundane items from the space (see MoI p. 51). So even non-enchanted plating may block it.

Bound soulmelds interfere with items on the body in two ways:

1) The meld cannot physically occupy the same space as the item.
2) The item is magic.

None of the Soul soulmelds violate the former - your plating does count as armor, but it's part of your body, so you can (physically) wear a robe or vest over it. The latter however is the problem - Warforged CP explicitly takes up the body slot even unenchanted, and therefore you cannot bind a soulmeld to that slot without something like Split Chakra. You can however enchant your body, so you can put enhancements on it just as good if not better than what the Soul bind would have given you.

One other trick you can try is see if your DM will let you enchant your composite plating and turn it into an Incarnum Focus item.

NB: Necrocarnates(/vivicarnates) get the soul chakra too.

See, there it is again. I'm aware that it's semantics, but the plating description, as I recall, doesn't actually SAY it takes up the body slot; it simply says you can't use it. That said, it makes sense that the two are equivalent statements.

And I thought turning it into an Incarnum Focus simply lets you juice it for a numeric modifier?

Couldn't you also take the Unarmored Body feat?

Yep. As stated in the OP, Unarmored Body, if taken at level 1, renders the issue moot. Unarmored Body would allow a Warforged to wear armor and robes. The question is whether that (or Split Chakra) is necessary for a Warforged to bind to the Soul Chakra.

The consensus I'm getting is that, yes, yes it is.

Psyren
2013-09-30, 07:35 AM
See, there it is again. I'm aware that it's semantics, but the plating description, as I recall, doesn't actually SAY it takes up the body slot; it simply says you can't use it.

It does, actually, say it takes up the body slot.

"This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes."

And I thought turning it into an Incarnum Focus simply lets you juice it for a numeric modifier?

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but Incarnum Focus items have two effects:

- +1 essentia capacity to any soulmelds occupying that slot.
- You can bind a meld to that chakra while wearing the item.

Using the item enhancement rules in MiC, you can add your standard enhancements (e.g. +Str to IF Gloves or an IF belt) without paying a premium. You can do this in core too but this will cost you a 50% markup.

Red Fel
2013-09-30, 08:39 AM
It does, actually, say it takes up the body slot.

"This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes."

Whoops, my mistake. Then, you're absolutely right; this does pretty soundly put the issue to rest. If it takes up the body slot, it blocks the Chakra.

Now I feel rather silly, honestly.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but Incarnum Focus items have two effects:

- +1 essentia capacity to any soulmelds occupying that slot.
- You can bind a meld to that chakra while wearing the item.

Using the item enhancement rules in MiC, you can add your standard enhancements (e.g. +Str to IF Gloves or an IF belt) without paying a premium. You can do this in core too but this will cost you a 50% markup.

Now, see, this is what was being discussed about poor readability in MoI in the other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306390); I confess that I completely missed that in my last read of the book.

Yes, turning warforged plating into an IF would certainly allow binding under those circumstances, and without a feat investment. Good catch!

Psyren
2013-09-30, 08:49 AM
Whoops, my mistake. Then, you're absolutely right; this does pretty soundly put the issue to rest. If it takes up the body slot, it blocks the Chakra.

Now I feel rather silly, honestly.

Don't be, MoI is one of the toughest books in 3.5 to wrap your head around. It took me half a dozen readthroughs and poring over all the handbooks to finally get the hang of it. (Incarnum gurus like Sinfire Titan and Person_Man helped with this process immensely.)

Warforged aren't the simplest race to play either. They go great together but it's easy to make mistakes.