PDA

View Full Version : what happens if you put a magic item around the wrong body part?

CyberThread
2013-09-30, 01:21 AM
what happens if you put a magic item around the wrong body part?

Like say a magical collar** one that gives you dark template TOM**

but a larger size wears it, and instead of fitting around the neck, it fits around the wrist.

By RAW, would it still work ?

eggynack
2013-09-30, 01:32 AM
Nah, I think you need to wear them over that specific part of the body. However, magic items size to their wearers, so the larger guy should just be able to also wear the neck item on his neck.

Endarire
2013-09-30, 01:43 AM
What happens if you equip Boots of Speed on your hands?

Dr. Azkur
2013-09-30, 02:34 AM
What happens if you equip Boots of Speed on your hands?

You would spawn a decent amount of puns involving monks, flurry of blows and kicking

CRtwenty
2013-09-30, 02:51 AM
I'd rule that the item doesn't work unless its equipped to the proper area. Magic is finicky like that.

You would spawn a decent amount of puns involving monks, flurry of blows and kicking

You get this:
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5g5mlT91Z1roxoq5o1_400.jpg
His punches have the power of kicks!

SciChronic
2013-09-30, 03:38 AM
i was under the impression that while magic items cahnge size to fit you, they may not change in the way you expect. i.e: a collar for a huge character may function as a belt for a medium sized character

Curmudgeon
2013-09-30, 04:02 AM
However, magic items size to their wearers, so the larger guy should just be able to also wear the neck item on his neck.
Nope, only magic garments adjust to fit the wearer. Jewelry doesn't change size, though you might be able to wear a pinky ring for a Large creature on your thumb. An amulet will generally come with a chain and will hang low on smaller creatures or by the throat on larger ones. A collar, though, is pretty much just one size; that might be one of the exceptions for the size rule:
Size And Magic Items

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn’t be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.

There may be rare exceptions, especially with racial specific items.

nedz
2013-09-30, 04:27 AM
Surely a Collar is a Garment ?

Well a dog would be naked without one.

Unless you have a RAW definition for Garment ?

icks
2013-09-30, 04:29 AM
Drizzt put handbracelet on his ankles, check his bio.

Kudaku
2013-09-30, 04:45 AM
It falls off.

Whether it's the item or the body part that falls off is up to the GM :smallamused:

Prime32
2013-09-30, 06:08 AM
Drizzt put handbracelet on his ankles, check his bio.Which instead of letting him attack faster, let him move so fast he seemed to teleport. And teach other people how to do it, somehow.

Jon_Dahl
2013-09-30, 06:34 AM
Nope, only magic garments adjust to fit the wearer. Jewelry doesn't change size, though you might be able to wear a pinky ring for a Large creature on your thumb. An amulet will generally come with a chain and will hang low on smaller creatures or by the throat on larger ones. A collar, though, is pretty much just one size; that might be one of the exceptions for the size rule:

Brilliant, just brilliant. I've never noticed that. I've just kept that everything adjusts except weapons and armor.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-30, 06:37 AM
Drizzt put handbracelet on his ankles, check his bio.

The Drizzt novels ignore the rules constantly to make a better story.

Or. Well. 'Better' story.

"Oh no! I already swing my swords so amazingly, awesomely fast that using these bracers of speed my sword swings are too fast!"

Deca4531
2013-09-30, 06:53 AM
i always thought the rules for item placement were a bit odd, but thats just me. if it were my game i would allow it, or at the least say that a PC could have said enchantment placed on a different slot item (assuming its not a relic).

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-30, 06:54 AM
Death with no save.

What? that is totally not a house rule. :smallwink:

Deca4531
2013-09-30, 06:55 AM

"Oh no! I already swing my swords so amazingly, awesomely fast that using these bracers of speed my sword swings are too fast!"

I have read all of the Drizzt books and i have to say they stick to the rules better that most (to include Ed Greenwood who created Forgotten Realms). after all creative license is expected from time to time.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-30, 06:55 AM
i always thought the rules for item placement were a bit odd, but thats just me. if it were my game i would allow it, or at the least say that a PC could have said enchantment placed on a different slot item (assuming its not a relic).

The in-setting explanation for item slots is probably "something something chakras something essentia".

Certain types of magic item properties work best when put in certain slots. You can totally make Boots of Invisibility or a Ring of Speed, but it's more expensive.

Alleran
2013-09-30, 07:09 AM

Those bracers had a flaw that he exploited to beat their original user in the first place. The user's hands move so fast that they can't adjust or modify attacks as they go - they have a decently long scene explaining how he discovered that the same flaw allowing him to obtain them was now affecting him as well (were I to stat them up in actual game terms to be closer to the novels, I'd probably say that they grant the user an additional one or even two attacks, but also impose a penalty to their attack rolls; Drizzt wasn't willing to make the trade). Since Drizzt's training revolved around the need to adjust and respond mid-attack to changing circumstances, while they did boost his speed it did so to his detriment because he could no longer do that.

Prime32
2013-09-30, 08:54 AM
The actual Bracers of the Blinding Strike were bracers of armor +6 that granted Improved Initiative as a bonus feat and granted your weapons the speed enchantment. In other words, nothing like the books. :smalltongue: But then again Drizzt is a ranger who has no animal companion or spellcasting abilities.

Deca4531
2013-09-30, 09:00 AM
The actual Bracers of the Blinding Strike were bracers of armor +6 that granted Improved Initiative as a bonus feat and granted your weapons the speed enchantment. In other words, nothing like the books. :smalltongue: But then again Drizzt is a ranger who has no animal companion or spellcasting abilities.

he has guinevere as an animal companion, but i have always been confused about his spell casting. IIRC he has more levels in fighter than ranger though.

Psyren
2013-09-30, 09:04 AM
he has guinevere as an animal companion, but i have always been confused about his spell casting. IIRC he has more levels in fighter than ranger though.

Way more it seems (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010117d) (Note: 3.0.)

CyberThread
garment [ˈgɑːmənt]
n
1. (Clothing & Fashion) (often plural) an article of clothing
2. outer covering

Well according to the rules, a shield would obviously resize if someone larger wear to wear it, so I will buy the small sized weapons and shields please, thank you.

eggynack
Yeah, magic garments. One of the major definitions for garment is, "an outer covering or outward appearance," which covers belts, jewelry, and collars rather nicely. I mean, there's a narrower definition of garment that only means clothing, but the very text you cited refers to magical jewelry sizing to fit you, so I've gotta figure that the outward appearance definition is the right one.

CyberThread
2013-09-30, 09:15 AM
If I wear a rubber magical boots that resize, does that mean am grounded?

Psyren
2013-09-30, 09:30 AM
garment [ˈgɑːmənt]
n
1. (Clothing & Fashion) (often plural) an article of clothing
2. outer covering

Well according to the rules, a shield would obviously resize if someone larger wear to wear it, so I will buy the small sized weapons and shields please, thank you.

I'd be fine with a magical shield resizing.

Do you mean like... electrically?

CyberThread
2013-09-30, 09:38 AM
Do you mean like... electrically?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305745

Chronos
2013-09-30, 09:49 AM
No, that's the opposite of grounded.

Not that it really matters for Lightning Bolt and the like. Anything that can travel through a mile of air isn't going to even notice a half-inch of rubber.

Invader
2013-09-30, 11:04 AM
Personally as long as the person isn't trying to wear more items for a particular slot I wouldn't care to much.

Dr. Azkur
2013-09-30, 11:08 AM
You get this:
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5g5mlT91Z1roxoq5o1_400.jpg
His punches have the power of kicks!

I love you.

gr8artist
2013-09-30, 11:48 AM
What's the problem with letting them wear things differently?
I'm not asking RAW, I'm asking from a balance standpoint. I had a character who wore his amulet/holy symbol around his wrist as a bracer, so it was always within reach of his palm when he needed it as a focus.
The best I can come up with, is a bit of soft railroading on the DM's part. When making gear for the party, he makes bracers that will benefit the fighter most. Then, later, he makes bracers that the rogue would want. If the fighter claims the bracers and puts them on his legs, he has deprived the rogue of gear.
But, isn't it the rogue's job to claim his fair portion of the loot?

eggynack
2013-09-30, 12:13 PM
What's the problem with letting them wear things differently?
I'm not asking RAW, I'm asking from a balance standpoint. I had a character who wore his amulet/holy symbol around his wrist as a bracer, so it was always within reach of his palm when he needed it as a focus.
The best I can come up with, is a bit of soft railroading on the DM's part. When making gear for the party, he makes bracers that will benefit the fighter most. Then, later, he makes bracers that the rogue would want. If the fighter claims the bracers and puts them on his legs, he has deprived the rogue of gear.
But, isn't it the rogue's job to claim his fair portion of the loot?
Well, items are costed based on the premise that they take up certain slots. If you can just move items over to other slots universally, you can just always wear as many items as you have slots. There're also some occasions in which a character wants two items in the same slot, and that's in cases where I'm assuming perfect character item selection. There's supposed to be a cost to having two same slot abilities. There're costs you can pay to make an item slotless, and there may be costs you can pay to change the slot on an item (I'm actually not sure on this one). My point is, if you want to use an item outside of its slot, you need to pay for that. It might be reasonable to allow folks to enchant these items to be slot-less or differently slotted, but there needs to be a cost to do that.

Endarire
2013-09-30, 10:17 PM
Frank & K's Tome series says people have 8 magic item attunement slots. You can thus wear 7 rings or somesuch.