PDA

View Full Version : Making Illidan

Yogibear41
2013-09-30, 06:32 AM
How would one go about building Illidan (from wow) assuming no homebrew but other that that all 3.5 sources open. Maybe duskblade with Abyssal Heritor Feats from fiendish codex I for that extra demon feel? Or some sort of Fighter/Sorcerer gish build?

Larkas
2013-09-30, 06:49 AM
There are Warcraft RPG sourcebooks out there, and I believe there is a Demon Hunter class there. Just make a night elf warlock/demon hunter (warlock will make you automatically lose your night elf traits and acquire a high elf's), probably take it to epic levels and you should be close enough.

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-30, 07:17 AM
There are Warcraft RPG sourcebooks out there, and I believe there is a Demon Hunter class there. Just make a night elf warlock/demon hunter (warlock will make you automatically lose your night elf traits and acquire a high elf's), probably take it to epic levels and you should be close enough.

I don't think that Warcraft RPG sourcebooks fit into the, albeit very broad, umbrella of 3.5 sources. That being said, OP are you wanting the fluff of look or the abilities which Illidan wields?

Melcar
2013-09-30, 07:23 AM
I wanna see a write-up on the warglaives! :smallbiggrin:

Larkas
2013-09-30, 07:34 AM
I don't think that Warcraft RPG sourcebooks fit into the, albeit very broad, umbrella of 3.5 sources. That being said, OP are you wanting the fluff of look or the abilities which Illidan wields?

They have the Dungeons & Dragons label on the cover.

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-30, 08:21 AM
I wanna see a write-up on the warglaives! :smallbiggrin:

I would assume it would be a fluffy Brilliant Energy Two-Bladed Sword which he feats up to wielding one-handed. I would enjoy building it tonight after I get off work and have books. I will also try to make a build for him. Can't wait.

Psyren
2013-09-30, 08:30 AM
Blindfold of True Darkness would fit well.

The Warglaives could just be refluffed Vorpal Kukris.

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-30, 08:35 AM
@ Psy: Would you completely fluff the two blades or how would you explain it? I am just curious not attempting to cause issue here.

@ OP: What level were you looking at? Just so I have a basis as to how much space I have to get all of the abilities or combat prowless in.

Deox
2013-09-30, 08:38 AM
The Warglaives of Azzinoth are probably akin to the Valenar double scimitar, actually.

I'd do a mix of Warblade/Fighter/Revenant Blade. Can't remember off hand if Illidan had any magic...

GolemsVoice
2013-09-30, 08:40 AM
I'd say even in Warcraft III, Illidan is somewhere around level 20, if not epic already. In WoW he's 20+ for sure.

Psyren
2013-09-30, 08:44 AM
@ Psy: Would you completely fluff the two blades or how would you explain it? I am just curious not attempting to cause issue here.

No worries :smallsmile:

I simply went with a refluff approach because I'm not familiar with any D&D/PF weapons that fit the glaives very well. Others may have better knowledge of the two systems' respective armories than I do and find something that fits better.

What I do know about them is that they are (a) 1-handed, (b) likely exotic, and (c) slashing.

Deox
2013-09-30, 08:47 AM
Closest to what they look like:

The Warglaives of Azzinoth are probably akin to the Valenar double scimitar, actually.

Dual wield them.

Yogibear41
2013-09-30, 10:09 AM

@ OP: What level were you looking at? Just so I have a basis as to how much space I have to get all of the abilities or combat prowless in.

any level more of a thought exercise for something that could one day become a reality, feel free to do a 1-20 build slowly becoming more demon like as you go.

Some how acquiring a half-fiend template down the line seems appropriate.

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-30, 10:13 AM
I will continue to review the thread as it develops and providing I have time, will work on a build tonight when I have my books.

Psyren
2013-09-30, 10:17 AM
Some how acquiring a half-fiend template down the line seems appropriate.

Illidan himself got his template from a ritual, so you'd be well within your rights to use plot-magic/homebrew too.

Silva Stormrage
2013-09-30, 11:10 AM
Illidan himself got his template from a ritual, so you'd be well within your rights to use plot-magic/homebrew too.

Nar Fiendbond is a spell in Lost Empires of Fareun that grants the half fiend template so that might be a way.

I think the revenant blade would be a good way of making Illidan's melee work. Is their anyway to dual wield two handed weapons though? Maybe make his race thrikeen or give him extra arms with Girallon's Blessing and then fluff him as having two hands but allowing him to dual wield them? Its a stretch.

Also I think sword sage works better than warblade, Illidan was always more of a rogueish character and swordsage has more magical abilities anyway.

For his casting, maybe Ur Priest? I know his magic is arcane in warcraft but maybe Alternate Spell Source or something similar can get his magic as arcane? Or fluff an arcane ur priest.

Valanear Elf
Swordsage 4/Crusader 1/Revenant Blade 5/Ur Priest 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 8

Feats and Skills might be a bit tough to qualify for but I think its possible (Iron will can be gained by the otyguah hole and with flaws its doable).

So in the end you get 8th level casting and 8th level manuvers at 20th level. Get some DMM Persist (More feats!) and you can get divine power which will give full BAB as well.

Ruby Knight Vindicator may not be the best fluff fit for Illidan but it does have shadow hand and white raven which works decently well for Illidan. Is there anyway to get setting sun on the Ruby Knight Vindicator's maneuver list?

Yogibear41
2013-09-30, 01:51 PM
+1 for someone named stormrage posting in the forum, also Nar Fiendbond is great, now must find a way to cast it on himself if that is the path he would choose.

Rather boring and simple but this is something:

Wood Elf
level 1-7 Battle Sorcerer
8-12 Abjurant Champion
13-20 Battle Sorcerer
Feats:
1. two-weapon fighting
3. Exotic Weapon Proficiency (two bladed sword)
6. Combat Casting
9. Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
12. Oversized two-weapon fighting (you can weild two two bladed swords at the same time in each hand and only attack with one end of each of them, basically like having two longswords)
15. Greater Two-Weapon fighting
18 ? (weapon focus two-bladed sword?)

simple and boring but 16 bab and 20 levels of casting :smallsmile: gains half fiend template spell at level 14.

While I'm thinking about it is there a similar spell to the one mentioned above that gives the half-celestial template?

Daftendirekt
2013-09-30, 06:25 PM

I'd do a mix of Warblade/Fighter/Revenant Blade. Can't remember off hand if Illidan had any magic...

Well, DHs had Mana Burn and Immolation. Give him an item of Fire Shield to emulate Immolation. Some sort of spell-leeching effect (Spellthief, or an item of some kind that I'm not thinking of) for Mana Burn? This WC3 Illidan more than WoW Illidan, of which I know nothing - I stopped playing WoW back in BC.

GolemsVoice
2013-09-30, 06:56 PM
There is a spell called mana burn in the WoW/Warcraft RPG books. If I remember it does something like spell level*2 points of damage and renders that spell slot used or something. Don't remember how it determined what levels of spells you can burn, though.

lsfreak
2013-09-30, 07:23 PM
In the Warcraft RPG (not the WoW RPG), Mana Burn is a 2nd level spell, drains 1d4+1 spell levels starting with the highest available. No damage, which is a bit odd.

Same page as Immolation as a spell, and is spectacularly horrible. 4th level 1 round/level spell, for 1d6 damage a round.

They have Illidan pegged as a Sorc20/Rogue8/Fighter7 (come on guys, I know it was early in 3.5's life, but couldn't you at least have made it Rogue7/Fighter8?). Terribly unoptimized, demon form 1/day that gives him some stat boosts and the ability to cast fireball every round (says he gets +10 to overcome spell resistance, but the fireballs are also Ex... er, what?). Can't actually find the stats on the Blades of Azzinoth even though they're referenced in his stat block, beyond being 2d4/x3.

A_S
2013-09-30, 07:23 PM
Actually, when I was fooling around with trying to figure out what you could get done using Mystic Ranger as a base for a gish, I kinda accidentally made Illidan. The build requires Mystic Ranger (Dragon #336), and needs Sword of the Arcane Order spells to count as Arcane (which is somewhat RAW-ambiguous).

IllidanRace: Human

Stats (28 point buy):
Str: 14
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 14
Cha: 15

1 - Mystic Ranger 1 - Iron Will, Spell Focus (conjuration)
2 - Mystic Ranger 2
3 - Mystic Ranger 3 - Augment Summoning, Two-Weapon Fighting (b)
4 - Mystic Ranger 4 - Endurance (b), Cha 16
5 - Mystic Ranger 5
6 - Mystic Ranger 6 - Sword of the Arcane Order
7 - Malconvoker 1
8 - Malconvoker 2 - Cha 17
9 - Malconvoker 3 - Arcane Strike
10 - Nar Demonbinder 1
11 - Malconvoker 4
12 - Legacy Champion 1 - Extend Spell, Cha 18
13 - Legacy Champion 2
14 - Legacy Champion 3
15 - Legacy Champion 4 - Practiced Spellcaster (Nar Demonbinder)
16 - Legacy Champion 5 - Cha 19
17 - Legacy Champion 6
18 - Crusader 1 - Demon Mastery
19 - Mystic Ranger 7 - Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (b)
20 - Crusader 2 - Cha 20

ACF's: Planar Ranger, Crowd Walker, Skilled City-Dweller (Ride>Tumble, Survival>Sense Motive)

Character Options:
Legacy Champion advances Malconvoker at all levels.
Favored Enemy: Outsider [evil] (2nd level)

-----

Maneuvers: Covering Strike, Flanking Maneuver, Mountain Hammer, Vanguard Strike, White Raven Tactics

Stances: Leading the Charge, Tactics of the Wolf

-----

Starting languages: Common, Abyssal, Infernal

Skills:
1 (36) - Bluff 2 (cc), Concentration 4, Hide 4, Intimidate 2 (cc), Knowledge (the planes) 4, Move Silently 4, Sense Motive 2, Speak Language (Celestial), Spellcraft 4, Spot 1, Tumble 4
2 (9) - Concentration 5, Hide 5, Knowledge (history) 2 (cc), Knowledge (the planes) 5, Move Silently 5, Tumble 5
3 (9) - Bluff 3 (cc), Concentration 6, Hide 6, Move Silently 6, Spellcraft 6, Spot 3, Tumble 6
4 (9) - Concentration 7, Hide 7, Intimidate 3 (cc), Knowledge (history) 3 (cc), Knowledge (the planes) 7, Move Silently 7, Tumble 7
5 (9) - Bluff 4 (cc), Concentration 8, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Spellcraft 8, Spot 5, Tumble 8
6 (9) - Concentration 9, Hide 9, Intimidate 4 (cc), Knowledge (history) 4 (cc), Knowledge (the planes) 9, Move Silently 9, Tumble 9
7 (5) - Bluff 7
8 (5) - Bluff 10, SKILL TRICK: False Theurgy
9 (5) - Bluff 12, Intimidate 5 (cc), Knowledge (the planes) 10
10 (5) - Concentration 13, Spellcraft 9
11 (5) - Bluff 14, Concentration 14, Knowledge (history) 5 (cc)
12 (7) - Bluff 15, Concentration 15, Tumble 14
13 (7) - Bluff 16, Concentration 16, Hide 10, Move Silently 10, Spellcraft 10, Tumble 16
14 (7) - Bluff 17, Concentration 17, Hide 12, Move Silently 12, Tumble 17
15 (7) - Bluff 18, Concentration 18, Hide 14, Move Silently 14, Tumble 18
16 (7) - Bluff 19, Concentration 19, Hide 16, Move Silently 16, Tumble 19
17 (7) - Bluff 20, Concentration 20, Hide 18, Move Silently 18, Tumble 20
18 (7) - Balance 5, Concentration 21, Tumble 21
19 (9) - Bluff 21 (cc), Hide 21, Move Silently 21, Tumble 22
29 (7) - Bluff 23 (cc), Concentration 23, Tumble 23

Final Skills:
Balance: 5
Bluff: 23
Concentration: 23
Hide: 21
Intimidate: 5
Knowledge (history): 5
Knowledge (the planes): 10
Move Silently: 21
Sense Motive: 2
Spellcraft: 10
Spot: 5
Tumble: 23

Skill Trick:
False Theurgy

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Infernal, Celestial

Decent gish chassis (15 BAB, 4th level Ranger/Wizard spells, 8th level Nar Demonbinder spells, some ToB dipping with an emphasis on White Raven to go with your summons).
Dual wielding like Illidan.
Full Malconvoker class features and full Nar Demonbinder spellcasting for heavy focus on demon binding, complete with FE (evil outsiders) and the Malconvoker fluff for plenty of "fights demons by harnessing their power" flavor.
Make the Skull of Gul'dan a custom Legacy item.