PDA

View Full Version : Xykon's items from a D&D perspective?

BaronOfHell
2013-09-30, 08:45 AM
Hi, I don't know much about D&D mechanics, but since Xykon commented he used 8 hours a day to craft items, I was wondering what kind of items, from a mechanics point of view, one could reasonably expect him to have?

What's the best he could make? If level should be accounted for, then given his minimum and maximum possible level from the evidence in the comic.

This assumes he has used 8 hours / day crafting for at least a year, but you're welcome to add time to it if it makes for even more incredible items.

Angel Bob
2013-09-30, 09:26 AM
I direct you to the Class and Level Geekery Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282328), where you will find lots of people ready and eager to debate over this. I'm sure it comes up pretty often. :smalltongue:

SowZ
2013-10-02, 02:12 AM
I direct you to the Class and Level Geekery Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282328), where you will find lots of people ready and eager to debate over this. I'm sure it comes up pretty often. :smalltongue:

That thread is for confirmed stuff only whereas I believe this fellow wants mo of a theoretical/probable gear set. Rich is unlikely to mention the +6 Cha/+5 Cloak of Resistance Xykon should easily have.

darlingt
2013-10-03, 03:19 AM
Let's do math!

According to the aforementioned Class and Level Geekery thread, Xykon is at least level 21. Let's assume that, had he amassed enough XP to level, he would have. So Xykon has no more than 22,000 "spare" XP.

The most valuable Wondrous Item I can find in the SRD is the Mirror of Life Trapping. The gp cost is 1/2 of the base price. The XP cost is 1/25 of the base price, which is estimated at spell level * caster level * 1,800 gp. Mirror of Life Trapping uses the 9th-level spell imprisonment and Xykon is estimated at 21st level. The base price of the Mirror of Life Trapping is (9 * 21 * 1800) = 340,200 gp. So the XP cost is 13608. Conclusion: it's perfectly feasible that Xykon has the ability to create any known item.

How long would it take him? From the SRD, "Enchanting a wondrous item takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its price." 340200 / 1000 ≈ 341. In 341 days, Xykon could spend roughly half a level's worth of XP and 170,000 gp to create one of the most valuable items in the SRD.

tl;dr You name it, Xykon could have created it by now.

NB: I don't have a whole lot of D&D experience, and someone else can probably come through later and tear this to shreds. That's fine; this wasn't meant to be overly serious.

Trillium
2013-10-03, 07:38 AM
Let's do math!

According to the aforementioned Class and Level Geekery thread, Xykon is at least level 21. Let's assume that, had he amassed enough XP to level, he would have. So Xykon has no more than 22,000 "spare" XP.

The most valuable Wondrous Item I can find in the SRD is the Mirror of Life Trapping. The gp cost is 1/2 of the base price. The XP cost is 1/25 of the base price, which is estimated at spell level * caster level * 1,800 gp. Mirror of Life Trapping uses the 9th-level spell imprisonment and Xykon is estimated at 21st level. The base price of the Mirror of Life Trapping is (9 * 21 * 1800) = 340,200 gp. So the XP cost is 13608. Conclusion: it's perfectly feasible that Xykon has the ability to create any known item.

How long would it take him? From the SRD, "Enchanting a wondrous item takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its price." 340200 / 1000 ≈ 341. In 341 days, Xykon could spend roughly half a level's worth of XP and 170,000 gp to create one of the most valuable items in the SRD.

tl;dr You name it, Xykon could have created it by now.

NB: I don't have a whole lot of D&D experience, and someone else can probably come through later and tear this to shreds. That's fine; this wasn't meant to be overly serious.

He's level 26 minimum actually, as he casts Maximized Energy Drain.

AgentofOdd
2013-10-03, 07:43 AM
He's level 26 minimum actually, as he casts Maximized Energy Drain.This is a point of some contention since it is possible Xykon had a maximize rod hidden in his bony tuckus. Still, I think it's safe to say most will agree Xykon has a higher level than 21 since he's been around for quite some time.

Copperdragon
2013-10-03, 09:42 AM
Still, I think it's safe to say most will agree Xykon has a higher level than 21 since he's been around for quite some time.

Do not forget how powerful he is shown to be. He's the Big Bad, then End of Things when it comes to Villains. I find it unlikely for him to be a mere level "21". He has "enough" levels for whatever he needs to do.

We cannot judge his items and abilities by his level, but must judge his level by items and abilites. For the sake of this thread: You can assume Xykon has the ressources (gold, xp) to get whatever non-artefact item he wants (a "control the gates rod" would be artefact, but short of this he can get/make it).

denthor
2013-10-05, 08:07 PM
This is a point of some contention since it is possible Xykon had a maximize rod hidden in his bony tuckus. Still, I think it's safe to say most will agree Xykon has a higher level than 21 since he's been around for quite some time.

Yes he uses the rod for his spine!!

karkus
2013-10-06, 01:02 AM
tuckus

I thought it was "tuches?" :smallconfused:

At any rate, Xykon has openly admitted to crafting himself a magic item of Fire Immunity; the most common one of which is a Ring of Fire Immunity, so it's possible that he also has both Forge Ring and Forge Epic Ring in his list of feats. (Very slim chance of this, mind you, but it still sounds plausible.)

Also, can you enchant your bones, or at least replace your bones with no-space magic items? I'd do that if I were a skeletal lich. :xykon:

rodneyAnonymous
2013-10-06, 05:25 PM
I thought it was "tuches?" :smallconfused

The most common spelling in Latin letters is "tuchus", second most-common "tuchis", third "tukkis"... but there is no technically correct spelling in anything but Hebrew characters.

SowZ
2013-10-06, 09:16 PM
The most common spelling in Latin letters is "tuchus", second most-common "tuchis", third "tukkis"... but there is no technically correct spelling in anything but Hebrew characters.

Yeah, people spell Hebrew words so many different ways, not just tuchus. May as well just spell it phonetically.

Poppatomus
2013-10-06, 10:07 PM
Yeah, people spell Hebrew words so many different ways, not just tuchus. May as well just spell it phonetically.

just a nit pick, but I always thought that pronunciation was yiddish.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-10-06, 10:09 PM
Somewhat like English language is written in Latin characters, Yiddish language is written in Hebrew characters.

Poppatomus
2013-10-06, 10:35 PM
Somewhat like English language is written in Latin characters, Yiddish language is written in Hebrew characters.

Sorry, must have mis-read Sowz's comment.

karkus
2013-10-07, 12:26 AM
My bad; I somehow forgot that it wasn't even written in ABC-format... :smallredface:

But let's please stay on topic so that this thread doesn't get locked.

What about his cloak? Do we have any indication of whether or not that's enchanted? He doesn't wear anything visible except for his cloak and his crown, which he's admitted to being nonmagical before. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html)

Shred-Bot
2013-10-08, 04:11 PM
My bad; I somehow forgot that it wasn't even written in ABC-format... :smallredface:

But let's please stay on topic so that this thread doesn't get locked.

What about his cloak? Do we have any indication of whether or not that's enchanted? He doesn't wear anything visible except for his cloak and his crown, which he's admitted to being nonmagical before. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html)

No actual evidence in-comic that I'm aware of, but a cloak of charisma (+many) would make sense for him, it being his casting stat and all. But for all we know it could just be a large bath towel that got stuck on his collarbones.