PDA

View Full Version : [SWSE] Hutt Character Help

Xaragos
2013-09-30, 09:10 AM
I am considering creating a Hutt and while these creatures can make for some really awesome forces of personality I was kind of hoping to create something a little bit different. What i am asking the playground for help with is designing a very viable warrior/warlord type of Hutt character. A hutt that is actually a really potent combatant that someone would think twice about crossing. Anything is fair game....armored warrior, gladiator, unarmed martial artist, jedi, sith, force user, whatever. I want to make a Hutt whose blood line bears the traits of the Ancient more activiely dominating/conquest minded Hutts.

Assume a 32 point buy and all feats, prcs, talents available.

Thanks ahead of time!

Alejandro
2013-10-01, 09:01 AM
I am considering creating a Hutt and while these creatures can make for some really awesome forces of personality I was kind of hoping to create something a little bit different. What i am asking the playground for help with is designing a very viable warrior/warlord type of Hutt character. A hutt that is actually a really potent combatant that someone would think twice about crossing. Anything is fair game....armored warrior, gladiator, unarmed martial artist, jedi, sith, force user, whatever. I want to make a Hutt whose blood line bears the traits of the Ancient more activiely dominating/conquest minded Hutts.

Assume a 32 point buy and all feats, prcs, talents available.

Thanks ahead of time!

Well, let's look at strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths:

- Bonuses to STR, CON, INT
- Bonus to damage threshold
- Bigger weight carrying limit
- Resist Force attacks
- Can't knock them prone
- Reroll Persuasion checks

Weaknesses:

- Awful Dex and speed
- Reflex penalty, Stealth penalty

Given these, I'd recommend the Hutt Rambo. Melee could be good for the character, given your STR bonus, but... you are very slow and smart enemies will just stay away from you, and you'll never catch up to them, even if you take talents to boost your move speed.

Now, ranged combat could be awful too, given your Dex penalty. However, we can somewhat counteract this by using autofire weapons that still do damage on a miss. :) There are tons of feats and talents for this, scattered throughout Soldier and Elite Trooper.

- Pay for a decent Dex, even after the racial penalty. Basically, just avoid having a penalty.
- Get autofire feats and talents, as many as you can handle, along with Heavy Weapons proficiency. Use a nasty autofire weapon, like the rotary blaster cannon or at least a repeating blaster. Or the Espo riot gun.
- Wear armor. We should take advantage of your awful Dex by wearing armor, since you don't really have a max dex penalty to worry about. Spend at least one Soldier talent on Armored Defense.

End result, you're a mobile slug tank. Get your hands on a grenade launcher, rockets, etc, and, with your armor, you almost are a small tank. :)

Xaragos
2013-10-03, 07:59 AM
Bombassa the Hutt CL 20

Large Hutt soldier 9/scout 1/elite trooper 10
Init +18; Senses Perception +15
Languages Basic, Dosh, Gamorrean, Huttese, Rodese

Defenses Ref 38 (flat-footed 34), Fort 37, Will 30; Evasion
hp 214; second wind +53/107; DR 5; Threshold 42
Immune +5 to Will Defense against mind-affecting Force powers, being tripped or knocked prone

Speed 2 squares
Melee shockboxing gloves +23 (1d8+15)
Ranged blaster rifle +22 (3d8+10) or
Ranged blaster rifle +20 (3d8+10) with autofire or
Ranged blaster rifle +22 (3d8+10) when braced or
Ranged blaster rifle +20 (5d8+10) with Burst Fire or
Ranged heavy blaster pistol +22 (3d8+10) or
Ranged flame cannon +24 (5d6+14 fire, 12-square cone) or
Ranged missile launcher +24 (6d6+14, 2-square burst) or
Ranged heavy repeating blaster +22 (3d10+14) with autofire or
Ranged heavy repeating blaster +24 (3d10+14) when braced or
Ranged heavy repeating blaster +22 (5d10+14) with Burst Fire
Fighting Space 2x2; Reach 1 square
Base Atk +19; Grp +28
Atk Options autofire (blaster rifle, heavy repeating blaster), Autofire Assault, Autofire Assault, Autofire Sweep, Burst Fire, Controlled Burst, Controlled Burst, Flood of Fire, Point Blank Shot, Targeted Area
Special Actions brace (blaster rifle, heavy repeating blaster), Indomitable, Rapid Reload, Shake it Off

Abilities Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10
Special Qualities delay damage
Talents Armored Defense, Autofire Assault, Controlled Burst, Evasion, Greater Weapon Focus (heavy weapons), Greater Weapon Specialization (heavy weapons), Improved Armor Defense, Indomitable, Juggernaut, Rapid Reload, Weapon Specialization (heavy weapons)
Feats Armor Proficiency (light, medium), Autofire Assault, Autofire Sweep, Burst Fire, Flood of Fire, Grand Army of the Republic Training, Martial Arts I, Point Blank Shot, Shake it Off, Targeted Area, Toughness, Weapon Focus (heavy weapons), Weapon Proficiency (heavy weapons, pistols, rifles, simple weapons)
Primary Skills Endurance +18, Initiative +18, Knowledge (tactics) +18, Perception +15, Persuasion +15 (favorable circumstances to intimidate), Stealth +8, Treat Injury +15
Secondary Skills Acrobatics +13, Climb +14, Deception +10, Gather Information +10, Jump +14, Knowledge (bureaucracy) +13, Knowledge (galactic lore) +13, Knowledge (life sciences) +13, Knowledge (physical sciences) +13, Knowledge (social sciences) +13, Knowledge (technology) +13, Mechanics +13, Pilot +13, Ride +13, Survival +10, Swim +14, Use Computer +13
Possessions blaster rifle with 19 spare power packs, Corellian powersuit (+7 armor), flame cannon, heavy blaster pistol with 19 spare power packs, heavy repeating blaster with 19 spare power packs, missile launcher with spare magazine, power generator, shockboxing gloves

This is what I came up with based on your recommendations. Darn the Tyranny of movement with these things but meh :) What do you think?

Cirrylius
2013-10-06, 11:25 AM
Darn the Tyranny of movement with these things but meh :)
Souped-up Hutt-adapted Rascal?

WinWin
2013-10-09, 12:16 AM
I have had a similar idea, a long, long time ago...

The major problem was mobility. Waiting for enemies to come to you, so you could ambush them like a crocodile, does not lend itself to a vast array of tactical challenges.

Movement can be overcome assuming you can utilise an airspeeder or repulsor sled modified to your character's size. Mobile cover, ram attacks, high speed and weapon mounts. You could even pile on as much armour as possible and joust people with a force pike.

An alternative would be a huge mount, such as a Bantha. Or you gould go even higher tech and focus on star ship piloting.

Xaragos
2013-10-09, 03:03 AM
Interesting...a mounted character. Didn't think of that.

GungHo
2013-10-15, 01:46 PM
You haven't lived until you've hopped bareback on a rampaging centaur.

GamorreanHC
2013-10-15, 05:58 PM
AFB so if I hose up the names of talents/feats etc, bear with me.

Aim for a Guardian/Councillar hybrid, Take the negotiator line of talents and use your feats to shore up your offensive prowess. When they get tired of getting their blaster bolts reflected, you can use the various lightsaber force powers / move to pull them into melee distance and whomp on them close up.

Consider dipping, to get the prereqs for crime lord if for no other reason than the awesome that is Master Manipulator to double down on persuasion based abilities.

Skills: Pertinent acrobatics (for defensive fighting), UtF, Deception
Feats: cannot recall the name - the one that subs int for dex for your Ref defense

Jedi 5 Adept negotiator, Force Persuasion, Master Negotiator
Soldier 1: Draw Fire
Scoundrel 1: Any Fortune/Misfortune talent
Crime Lord 4: Intimidating, Master Manipulator*, Presence, Demand Surrender
Jedi knight/Sith Apprentice X
Jedi Master/Sith Lord Y

*Master Manipulator: every successful persuasion skill check entitles you to fire off another persuasion skill check on them for free (although no infinite chains, 1 bonus per skill check you paid for) Even uses of the skill that you would not normally be able to do - Example given by the talent was the once per encounter upgrade in disposition being used twice (Hostile to neutral)

If your GM is fine with cheese, then use Draw Fire to target everyone who can draw a bead on you, then Master Manipulator a Master Negotiator check to drop everyone by 2 condition, or worse mass Demand Surrender. Use your standard action to act Defensively to use your acrobatics to pump your reflex defense to outrageous so that anyone looking to beat on you can't even hurt you.