PDA

View Full Version : I need to lure my players out of town

Govinator
2013-09-30, 10:23 AM
I need to lure my players out of a local town. They arrived there following the trail of a local man from their hometown who had gone missing after falling sick from an infected bite. They fear that he is a werewolf, and want to apprehend him before he can do any actual damage. Unbeknownst to them, there is an actual gang of werewolves that recently arrived in the area with the intent of starting an epidemic of lycanthropy.

The wolves' numbers are enough that they can easily take the town in normal circumstances, but there are 2 issues barring their plan forward at the moment: there are the PC's that have recently arrived, and due to previous actions of both the werewolves and PCs, there is a group of soldiers from the nearby militaristic nation in the city as well.

I need a way for the werewolves to get the PC's or soldiers (hopefully both) out of the town, so that the lycanthropes can have a successful first harvest and set the stage for later in the campaign. Do you guys have any suggestions?

UndertakerSheep
2013-09-30, 10:29 AM
Maybe the Werewolves can spread rumors that their secret hideout has been found, a full day's travel away from the town? Or plant fake evidence that suggests they're performing a powerful ritual in a few nights time?

Or perhaps they kidnap a local noble, lead the players and soldiers to believe he's important to their plan, and lure them out like that?

What about them infecting the soldiers, one at a time? That would surely lead to an interesting situation within the town. Now the players and soldiers have to fight each other off, as well as the lycanthropes attacking the town.

Just a few ideas that came to mind.

super dark33
2013-09-30, 10:33 AM
1. Have the werewolves infect a messenger from the army.
2. Messege the army about an enemy force in location "away from here"
3. Spread a rumor that a very rich man needs help in a town away from there.

Hows that?

Govinator
2013-09-30, 10:59 AM
What about them infecting the soldiers, one at a time? That would surely lead to an interesting situation within the town. Now the players and soldiers have to fight each other off, as well as the lycanthropes attacking the town.
and

1. Have the werewolves infect a messenger from the army.

I really like these ideas, these are good.

Basically, the current group of wolves has its newest recruits from attacking several patrolling groups of soldiers from the militaristic nation mentioned before. Perhaps one or two of them could don their armor and military colors, clean up a bit and then present orders to the soldiers about moving out in a few days time. Then proceed to isolate some soldiers one by one and infect them. Then they could either force the PC's out, or pretend to work with them when the "real" attack happens. Once combat starts, the soldiers all turn and proceed to infect the whole town.

The PC's would then have the choice of running... or dying.

Does this sound like a good plan of action?

TeChameleon
2013-09-30, 04:20 PM
Is there anything preventing the werewolves from just... y'know, going someplace else? Leave behind just enough of the pack to keep the soldiers and PCs bunkered down in the town, and infect every outlying farm and village in the area, or even just head for another poorly-defended town.

The problem with a werewolf outbreak is that their numbers would increase exponentially, and it would be trivially easy for them to build up an utterly and completely overwhelming force. Why hasn't there been a massive werewolf army sweeping across the continent before now, anyhow?

Mastikator
2013-09-30, 04:26 PM
The town was an elaborate illusion that just now ended, they're in the middle of nowhere. Bam, out of town!

Trickquestion
2013-09-30, 04:50 PM
One of the werewolves dons a mysterious outfit, hangs out in the local tavern, and hits the players with a side quest.

Callin
2013-09-30, 05:31 PM
THATS THE IDEA! Have one of em dress up and come into town. Stay for a few days and then approach the group with a task of retrieving something that will in all actuality HELP the werewolves in their plot.

Gives a real gut kicking reason to hate them and thats a campaign plot hook to the gonads.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-30, 05:32 PM
Have a thief steal something of theirs and leave an obvious trail out of town.

They will leave town.

Tanuki Tales
2013-09-30, 05:39 PM
The problem with a werewolf outbreak is that their numbers would increase exponentially, and it would be trivially easy for them to build up an utterly and completely overwhelming force. Why hasn't there been a massive werewolf army sweeping across the continent before now, anyhow?

I'm assuming some high level mages.

Though the concept of Rise of the Lycans playing out intrigues me.

Jay R
2013-09-30, 11:59 PM
Is this hard?

"Hey guys, there's a bunch of people and monsters out in the wilderness. Let's go kill them and take their stuff."

Govinator
2013-10-01, 08:02 AM
Rise of the lycans is essentially what I have planned out to happen here, lol. And TeChameleon, the reason that they simply don’t go to another town to start the epidemic is that, well, the other towns are actually moderately defended. Given the Lycan’s numbers at the moment, an assault would be too risky. This town they are eyeing is the most isolated and the least defended, and thus the best prospect, once the soldiers and the PC’s are factored out

@Yuki Akuma – I don’t want to resort to stealing from them quite yet, but the thought had occurred to me.

@Callin – I REALLY like the idea of having one of the lycans task the PCs with retrieving something that would only end up helping the lycans out.

What do you think of this – the group gets tasked with finding an abandoned hermitage where an oddly solitary man was known for collecting silver. They could be tasked with collecting enough of it to coat people’s weapons with.

I want to reward my players when they attempt to make relevant knowledge rolls and invest in my game world’s lore/history. With respect to that, I decided a while ago that since I was going to include werewolves, I wasn’t going to make their DR penetrated by silver. It was going to be changed to adamantine, or perhaps gold (something about as available as silver), and see if any of them would actually try to invest some effort into what material would penetrate a lycan’s thick hide, versus automatically assuming it would be silver.

With that thought in mind, they go and blindly collect silver, and during that time the lycans infect several more (if not all) of the soldiers. The PC’s come back, melt down the silver to coat everyone's weapons, and then think they will be prepared for anything. Lycans attack, then Lo and Behold…. The silvered weapons are useless.

What do you all think?

Rama
2013-10-01, 08:48 AM
Does the local man/pack know that the PCs were chasing this guy? If so, the easiest would probably be to provide them a false trail to continue chasing him.

A conveniently butchered farmhouse or trade caravan would be ideal - far enough away from town to keep the PCs away as long as the wolves need. Have one wolf attack, kill all the farmers/merchants but one, and let the one "escape" to bring word of the werewolf attack. Likely the PCs will assume that their man was responsible, and they'll head to the scene of the crime to try to pick up his trail.

That would have the added benefit of setting up an ambush for the PCs (conveniently not strong enough to ensure their demise), which would give them an idea that there is more going on than just one werewolf.

veti
2013-10-01, 02:45 PM
I'm wondering - what's the werewolves' end game here? Once everybody in the area has been turned - what are they all planning to eat? Each other?

Or move on to another area and repeat? But that just punts the same question a little further down the road, and with their numbers growing exponentially it becomes more urgent with every new town.

Callin
2013-10-01, 03:17 PM
Nah go with something like this.

A beast cult has a magical whatever that controls/commands predatory animals and the werewolves would love to get ahold of it to keep people from controlling them and also allow them to control rival packs.

Then once the PC's figure out the whole story they can request to get the whathaveya away from a smaller pack of the Werewolves and use it to finally get rid and break up the now run amok HORDE.

Govinator
2013-10-02, 08:54 AM
@Veti - Currently the goal is to establish a kind of Werewolf nation. The region in which the lycans are planning to infect is kind of an unruly mess of small villages and various tribes, with no overall regional government. They want to turn "The Unclaimed Hills" into a nation that would be a safe-haven for all outsiders and generally unwelcomed types. That's at least the rough idea that they (read: I) am running with at the moment. The lycan leaders are tired of having to move from town to town and constantly being the target of fears and superstitions, so they want to create a place where they can be themselves without having to fear for their lives.

@Rama - The local pack doesn't know they were chasing that man specifically, no. They are aware of the group's existance though, having been scouting the surrounding area for several days prior to the PC's arrival. I really like your idea though, that could work out beautifully well.

I am thinking of mixing both Callin's idea with Rama's - having a butchered farmhouse with a lone survivor. The survivor claims that wilds beasts butchered his family, having been led by a single man. He can describe the man to them and from a few local knowledge rolls it would sound like this beast cult. They go to the cult lair, clean up the baddies and take the special amulet. They return to town, amulet gets stolen, more townsfolk are infected, and all hell begins to break loose.

Does this sound like a fun scenario? Any other ways to improve it?

And also, how can I make things, well... tense! I like an air of tension, but have a hard time managing to keep such an atmosphere going in my games.
(Maybe I should make that a separate post but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.)

killem2
2013-10-02, 09:15 AM
I liked the age of worms rail road. Meet ghost, ghost wants you to take him home. Get to home. Graves are exhumed, bones are gone. Only known necromancer is a few miles out of town.

Go forth and help casper.

Slipperychicken
2013-10-02, 12:16 PM
I'm wondering - what's the werewolves' end game here? Once everybody in the area has been turned - what are they all planning to eat? Each other?

IIRC, lycans aren't cannibalistic. They can eat whatever, it's just that 'nomming humanoids is how they create more lycans.

Also, if this is 3.5, remember that only natural lycans can spread the disease. Infected lycans (those who got it via infection) cannot spread it.

Tajuh
2013-10-02, 12:37 PM
Looking at the reasoning, that could also be a decent hook for having the party want to help them. It's morally ambiguous, but I'd definitely be intrigued. Greater good kind of thing, and you can't make an omelette without breaking an egg or two.

Amphetryon
2013-10-02, 02:38 PM
Rise of the lycans is essentially what I have planned out to happen here, lol. And TeChameleon, the reason that they simply don’t go to another town to start the epidemic is that, well, the other towns are actually moderately defended. Given the Lycan’s numbers at the moment, an assault would be too risky. This town they are eyeing is the most isolated and the least defended, and thus the best prospect, once the soldiers and the PC’s are factored out

@Yuki Akuma – I don’t want to resort to stealing from them quite yet, but the thought had occurred to me.

@Callin – I REALLY like the idea of having one of the lycans task the PCs with retrieving something that would only end up helping the lycans out.

What do you think of this – the group gets tasked with finding an abandoned hermitage where an oddly solitary man was known for collecting silver. They could be tasked with collecting enough of it to coat people’s weapons with.

I want to reward my players when they attempt to make relevant knowledge rolls and invest in my game world’s lore/history. With respect to that, I decided a while ago that since I was going to include werewolves, I wasn’t going to make their DR penetrated by silver. It was going to be changed to adamantine, or perhaps gold (something about as available as silver), and see if any of them would actually try to invest some effort into what material would penetrate a lycan’s thick hide, versus automatically assuming it would be silver.

With that thought in mind, they go and blindly collect silver, and during that time the lycans infect several more (if not all) of the soldiers. The PC’s come back, melt down the silver to coat everyone's weapons, and then think they will be prepared for anything. Lycans attack, then Lo and Behold…. The silvered weapons are useless.

What do you all think?
I think it sounds like you're working very hard to make the PCs actions fit into your preconceived story, rather than letting the PCs shape the story by dint of their actions that are independent of your preconceived ideas.

Govinator
2013-10-03, 07:20 AM
I think it sounds like you're working very hard to make the PCs actions fit into your preconceived story, rather than letting the PCs shape the story by dint of their actions that are independent of your preconceived ideas.

I totally understand what you are saying here, but perhaps I have miscommunicated. I'm not attempting to railroad the whole thing to happen in such a manner as I have had above expressed. What I had mentioned is simply the endgame of the small lycan group. Given how my players are, I doubt that the lycans will succeed. The only thing that I *want* (for lack of a better word) to happen is the lycans to become a threat beyond the level that they already are, in order to provide a tangible antagonist for the party.

Does that make any sense?

Joe the Rat
2013-10-03, 08:11 AM
The great thing is, you only need to get them out of town for a day or two for it to kick in. So long as they're a days' ride out, the rest of the set-up can go to Carceri without any problems.

Beast cultist amulet thingy has potential. Try to finagle having some soldiers accompany them, so they can shift and try to kill the PCs (and/or steal the special amulet) after it's too late to stop the harvest. You can Schrodinger it a bit too. The amulet would help accelerate the process. If it gets stolen, it's a lynchpin to the lycan plan. If it's kept, it becomes some sort of plot detector to help them find the villain of the session.

Omegonthesane
2013-10-03, 11:35 AM
Is there a particular reason why the werewolf attacks are resulting in "recruits" rather than "very angry and vengeful enemies who now have our powers"?

I'm being serious here - apart from the superpowers, it's a similar effect to being viciously assaulted* and catching a blood borne disease, and while the superpowers are indeed awesome and potentially a trade I might consent to I'd at best want absolutely nothing to do with lycans who infected me without my consent.

* Decided not to go with comparison to rape, as traumatic reactions to being attacked by werewolves are far less crippling than traumatic reactions to natural human intimacy.

Govinator
2013-10-03, 01:04 PM
@Omegonthesane

I see where you're coming from, and if I had to argue it, I'd say a shared desire to survive. One turns on the group that infected him, said group is defeated, now what? I mean, said person can go live in solitude I guess, but no town would willingly accept him. All your friends would think of you as a monster, and who would brave the risks to help you when killing or outcasting you would be a much easier and certain solution. There are certainly individuals willing to make that exception, clearly, but I think it’s a safe bet to say that *most* would not. Then take those thoughts, and apply them to an entire town, an entire group of families. Would they be willing to risk their loved ones being outcasted or executed as well?

If they move to a new town, then clockwork disappearances that time up with violent animal attacks would paint a pretty clear sign towards lycanthropy. Unless you have an extremely understanding town, or a stunning capacity to hide your affliction, life is going to be extremely difficult.

It may take time for that realization to sink in, but I would think it’s a pretty convincing one.

I don't know, I may be thinking a bit too far into it. Your thoughts?

Also, an easy way to solve that would be to say that, for the sake of brevity, infected lycans become the thrall of the original lycan. Much in the same manner as vampires. That could be too easy of a solution though.

Hovannes
2013-10-03, 01:16 PM
First, if you don’t care which group leaves town (PCs or Military), simply have the military troop received some ‘Orders’ to move on or investigate a different area. These orders could be real, or fabricated by the werewolves.

If you want the PCs to leave town, then have a caravan attacked and a damsel captured for some ‘Moon’ rituals by the werewolves. Provide clues by someone that escapes the caravan assault or better yet, have one of the werewolves make the entire event up masquerading as the person that survived the assault. Throw in a reward, or make the captured individual a noblemen, and, boom instant side story. To put in a real twist, make the captured damsel a distant relative to one of the PCs.

Here is another question. What is the end game here? Without some type of counter force, equally powerful to the werewolves, then it’s just a matter of time before the werewolf infection goes viral. Something, someone, or some group needs to be put in to counterbalance this problem. In the Movie, vamps filled this role to a limited extent. Here it could be a group of mages, or simply a different breed of lycanthrope (this could open up some very interesting moral questions for the PCs). Are all lycanthropes created equal?

Just my two cents;

Omegonthesane
2013-10-04, 07:48 AM
@Omegonthesane

I see where you're coming from, and if I had to argue it, I'd say a shared desire to survive. One turns on the group that infected him, said group is defeated, now what? I mean, said person can go live in solitude I guess, but no town would willingly accept him.
No town that knew he was a werewolf. So don't let slip that you're a werewolf. Failing that, get used to travelling.

All your friends would think of you as a monster,
Any of your friends who would actually think that are utterly disposable. Once again I am actually being serious.

and who would brave the risks to help you when killing or outcasting you would be a much easier and certain solution.
Anyone who cares even a little bit about you.

Then take those thoughts, and apply them to an entire town, an entire group of families. Would they be willing to risk their loved ones being outcasted or executed as well?
For another loved one? Absolutely yes. That's not even a matter of opinion, people can and people have taken that kind of stupid risk for the ones they love.

If they move to a new town, then clockwork disappearances that time up with violent animal attacks would paint a pretty clear sign towards lycanthropy. Unless you have an extremely understanding town, or a stunning capacity to hide your affliction, life is going to be extremely difficult.
Being Human gives some pointers, and has the horror-movie "you are a mindless monstrosity" version of lycanthropy. Lock yourself in a cage during full moon nights, or go strip naked in the forest during that time.

I don't know, I may be thinking a bit too far into it. Your thoughts?

Also, an easy way to solve that would be to say that, for the sake of brevity, infected lycans become the thrall of the original lycan. Much in the same manner as vampires. That could be too easy of a solution though.
That is the missing factor - how much volition you have while under the full moon. Which has to be at least a little, or else not even being Werewolf Thralls would keep the pack together. If Wolf!Goon is enough himself to avoid excreting solid waste material in the same place where he has his dinner, we might be on to something.

Icewraith
2013-10-04, 04:09 PM
Brothel in the next town over has "free beer wednesdays", it is noon wednesday, brothel opens at four, next town is four hours' ride out.

Guy on corner is having a sale on fast horses.

Done.

(If you want to work werewolves into it, the werewolves are running the brothel and using it to infect the local population quite rapidly. but generally speaking, this is a good way to get most PCs out of town and into the next one.)

Breccia
2013-10-06, 09:52 PM
Is it too late to get in on this?

Firstly, allow yourself, as the DM, the option that the PCs manage to interfere with the werewolves' plan. If the players decide that they had a 0% chance of saving the village, it will damage the campaign. If it is their choice to leave town, great, but nobody likes being forced to lose, so have the scenario ready if the PCs are in town when the werewolves plan to attack (even if the scenario is "the werewolves see the PCs, chicken out and don't attack").

Now on topic:

1) It's been my experience that players rarely question a map found on any of the monsters they kill. The werewolves could make a map to a location a day's travel away, plant it on a group of orcs, bandits, or even plant it on a dead body and stash it in a beast's lair. Then, in human form, aim the PCs at the monsters, wait till they leave, and attack the town.

2) Werewolves are very fast on foot, faster than almost any PC could hope to compete with. One PC might be able to keep up with magic and feats, but even then, that one might be worried about being separated. They could leave a direct, obvious trail that would keep the PCs busy for a while, and the rest could attack as soon as the PCs get their horses and try to follow.

3) The werewolves could learn of a special potion-like item that would spread the infectious nature of their bite. They could pay the PCs to get this item for them, then spike the town's water supply with it. Or the food of the local tavern. Or just wait till the PCs leave for the dungeon with the item, then attack the town.

4) Start a massive fire five miles out of town.

5) Have the werewolves massacre animals or spare peasants and leave them at four spots that correspond to four of the five points of a pentagram, or other campaign-specific magic or theological symbol. Have the fifth point far away from town. When the PCs investigate, they attack the town.

6) A werewolf in human form, acting very scared, delivers a letter which basically says "We need to talk, very important. Come tonight at midnight". The courier claims the person who sent the letter threatened him and/or his family. When the PCs go to investigate, attack the town.

7) The werewolves herd a group of dangerous animals or beasts to a local farm or ranch. When the farmers go to town for help, and the PCs or army responds, the werewolves attack.

8) The werewolves find a specific landmark around town. Maybe an old ruin with a prominent symbol. Maybe a special flower or weed that doesn't grow anywhere else around. Or a tar pit, elephant graveyard, or other natural site. Then they get a basket, fill it with snakes, scorpions, or other nasty vermin and a clue from that site. They dump the basket into the PCs inn room or tavern, wait for them to find out where the landmark is, and leave. Then they eat everyone.

9) The werewolves blatantly tell the PCs and/or army they're going to attack another town or village, either directly or by a letter. When they leave, they eat everyone.

10) One of the werewolves lies, telling the PCs she was bitten and wants to be cured. She is worried that the other werewolves might attack on the way to the nearest temple that can remove the curse. While the PCs take her, the rest eat the town. NOTE: If the PCs can cure lycanthropy this could really, really backfire for the werewolf volunteer, unless of course she's a natural werewolf and therefore incurable.

Segev
2013-10-07, 08:38 AM
Not to throw a wrench in the works, but one thing you should consider: Why would the newly-infected automatically side with the werewolves who infected them? They aren't vampires or wights; their "spawn" are not automatically under their control. The only "mind control" that happens inherently with Lycanthropic infection is that your alignment changes...if you fail a Will save or you willingly transform.

When the werewolves attack the town, there should be roughly three groups: those who make the will save and thus are the "classic" werewolf tale of the person who may not even know he's the one who eats his friends every full moon; those who fail the will save but still don't know what they are, but turn evil all the same; and those who know what they are and, for good or bad reasons, willingly transformed and became evil.

Werewolves are chaotic evil, too. If they were fighting desperately to avoid this fate before they were bitten, they likely resent those who infected them. Chaotic evil people are not known for taking responsibility for their own actions. While they might well do awful things to their friends and families (though the smarter ones will play it cool and do their evil deeds quietly and secretly so they can shift blame), at least some (and I'd wager most) will be rather bitter and angry at the "pack" that did this to them, and be out to kill them.

You can get a lot of mileage out of this. The werewolves want to make a lycanation out of this place, but they're creating CE monsters who have reason to hate them. Pack wars are inevitable, especially as some of the converts willingly change and become evil but band together for revenge against those who "did this to them." They might also decide they're "protectors" of their hometowns and deserve adulation and rulership because of it, making local monsters.

You will need at least one person - possibly a number of such people - in the Lycanthrope organization who are skilled at playing people. Manipulating the CE tendencies of the converted so that they eventually re-direct their bitterness from those who 'did this to them' to those who 'turned on them' - namely, their hometowns. Or, failing that, turning their predatory natures on OTHER towns.

Infecting the town is only the beginning. "Man vs. Monster" should play out hundreds, thousands of times across this campaign. You need a Batman Gambit NPC running this: he may not know every individual well enough to Batman Gambit them, but he knows CE well enough to get an aggregate result.

And he has to start, each time, with the expectation that most of those who are infected will start hating those who infected them. So he needs a plan to manipulate them into his service despite that.

As to getting them out of town, yeah, just treat them like adventurers. Have the werewolves figure out what they're looking for, and provide an adventure hook to pursue it. It could be a fake, or it could even be legit. If you have a mastermind pulling this batman gambit plan off in the background, he could even deliberately choose a legitimate problem that will also impede his goals, and send the adventurers to deal with it because it's something adventurers would deal with.

Govinator
2013-10-24, 02:36 PM
I love all of your ideas, these are really quality responses. Thank you all!

With respect to all that has been mentioned before, I'm wondering if anyone could offer some commentary on another werewolf related issue. In my game world, there is a moon-phase that occurs every seven years called the Blood Moon. The moon turns a deep dark red, and for several days acts like a solar eclipse. There are shorter hours of normal daylight, and the moonlight emitted during this phase is much like the dark reds you would associate with a room where photographs were developed before digital film became a thing.

Now, the reason the moon has this phase is due to the partial opening of an ancient, sealed crypt several thousand years ago. The creators did not want it opened for any reason, and cursed it. The tribe of people (elves) that opened it were punished for their hubris and immediately cursed with a unique version of lycanthropy. It is quite similar to normal lycanthropy in all respects, except for two things - the infected all live immeasureably long lives, and the way the curse interacts the Blood Moon. This moon phase that was created acts to forcefully turn all lycanthropes created via this curse into hulking, near invulnerable rage monsters for the duration. It is also the only time that the curse can be removed (unbeknownst to the cursed).

The tribe, realizing the horror of what happened, built an extremely isolated society around the sealed crypt hoping to never spread their curse any further. Fast forward several years, and the newer generation of cursed (it is hereditary) does not think of lycanthropy as a curse, but as a strength, a birthright. They think that they should be praised for what they have, not shunned from the world and isolated. Many of the elders who are still alive are in control, and refuse to hear any argument on this issue.

One of these cursed lycanthropes managed to get out of the solitude that his people have imposed on themselves and gotten into these unclaimed hills (the area this post was talking about). He wanted to spread his "gift" to the unitiated, and is the one who initially infected the small group referred to above.

Now again, this phase is a time during which werewolves become extremely, obscenely powerful. And the rest of the world is not accustomed to the Blood Moon being anything other than a period of red moonlight...

SO... here's my question - How would things play out given that the newly created lycanthropes (willing or not) will transform into something much stronger in an area that is not prepared for it?

Maybe I should make this a separate post...

AMFV
2013-10-24, 02:59 PM
I love all of your ideas, these are really quality responses. Thank you all!

With respect to all that has been mentioned before, I'm wondering if anyone could offer some commentary on another werewolf related issue. In my game world, there is a moon-phase that occurs every seven years called the Blood Moon. The moon turns a deep dark red, and for several days acts like a solar eclipse. There are shorter hours of normal daylight, and the moonlight emitted during this phase is much like the dark reds you would associate with a room where photographs were developed before digital film became a thing.

Now, the reason the moon has this phase is due to the partial opening of an ancient, sealed crypt several thousand years ago. The creators did not want it opened for any reason, and cursed it. The tribe of people (elves) that opened it were punished for their hubris and immediately cursed with a unique version of lycanthropy. It is quite similar to normal lycanthropy in all respects, except for two things - the infected all live immeasureably long lives, and the way the curse interacts the Blood Moon. This moon phase that was created acts to forcefully turn all lycanthropes created via this curse into hulking, near invulnerable rage monsters for the duration. It is also the only time that the curse can be removed (unbeknownst to the cursed).

The tribe, realizing the horror of what happened, built an extremely isolated society around the sealed crypt hoping to never spread their curse any further. Fast forward several years, and the newer generation of cursed (it is hereditary) does not think of lycanthropy as a curse, but as a strength, a birthright. They think that they should be praised for what they have, not shunned from the world and isolated. Many of the elders who are still alive are in control, and refuse to hear any argument on this issue.

One of these cursed lycanthropes managed to get out of the solitude that his people have imposed on themselves and gotten into these unclaimed hills (the area this post was talking about). He wanted to spread his "gift" to the unitiated, and is the one who initially infected the small group referred to above.

Now again, this phase is a time during which werewolves become extremely, obscenely powerful. And the rest of the world is not accustomed to the Blood Moon being anything other than a period of red moonlight...

SO... here's my question - How would things play out given that the newly created lycanthropes (willing or not) will transform into something much stronger in an area that is not prepared for it?

Maybe I should make this a separate post...

Well it depends on a few factors. First and foremost transmission method, is being bitten sufficient for transmission, in which case there is a good chance that they will infect others intentionally or not intentionally. Do they retain their former personalities and control? This can make a significant difference, just making somebody abruptly stronger isn't necessarily going to make them behave in a manner contrary to their nature, or corrupt them, unless this is a part of the whole Lycanothropy thing. How dense is the local population? If the local population is extremely dense they could spread the disease more rapidly if it can be spread easily.

Additionally how militarized is the local area, a militarized and prepared area may be able to mobilize rapidly enough to fight back, whereas a largely agrarian or an urban area that isn't mobilized will likely be overwhelmed fairly rapidly and then infected.

The main other issue is what happens after the full moon, no matter how aggressive you make the werewolves, they won't be werewolves the entire time, and if they don't make a clean wipe of the place, then they may be hunted down as humans, which is a significant issue.

Segev
2013-10-24, 03:03 PM
If he is a CE manipulator, the "originator" (in the sense that he's brought it out of elftown) of the curse should be playing both sides. He should be selecting some of his "converts" from amongst the dispossessed and the lonely. In a modern campaign, I'd say he should be targeting disaffected teens who feel like the whole world's against them, like any good after-school special "evil cult leader." He should have some already convinced it's a gift; these are the core of his forces, whether they're intended to help administer anything later on or not.

He should also be getting known in town in his elf form. Earning trust, not associating with werewolfism at all if he can help it. If he can't, he should make sure he's "a recent victim," perhaps since the last full moon, in order to cast suspicion off of himself.

He should subtly play on human fears, trying to "help" those who've become infected and to protect those who haven't while subtly influencing the town to "regretfully" cast out their infected. He needs to turn the unwillingly infected's ire away from the wolves that did this to them and towards the townsfolk who are not yet turned.

He should start by encouraging those who have been infected to come out about it. It's not their fault, he'll say, and they deserve help to contain the beast. He should arrange for it to be shown there's "no" containing them, while still insisting that everybody try.

He can use some of his willing converts as plants to be the "voice of madness" in the crowd, working them up to reject his "voice of reason."

When it's all said and done, he should have everybody who is infected so riled up at their mistreatment that "the uninfected deserve to see what it's like!"

Then he can turn it around and start preaching his view that it's a blessing. Slowly and thoughtfully at first, he should pass it as "seeing the silver lining" rather than changing his point of view. He's "always" been trying to help, after all, so now that it's too late to prevent it, instead they must learn to accept it.

He should probably do his best to arrange for his loyal werewolves to be in position to shred the unsuspecting men-at-arms of the towns and villages when the Blood Moon rises. Ensure that the bindings holding those who sought to protect everybody from themselves are not sufficient to hold them. Calibrate carefully so they'll hold for a normal full moon; it will ensure that he has credibility when he says "nobody could have predicted" the Blood Moon's effects.

As a Chaotic Evil demagogue, he's not a machiavellian schemer seeking to build a functional, hierarchical empire. He's a charismatic manipulator who is seeking to build an Empire of the Wolf, with himself as the top Alpha Dog. He is out to tear down human societal structures that could get in his way, and to then use manipulation to earn the loyalty of other Alpha types while using his own brutal power to lead his local pack. He will be the Alpha of Alphas, ruling through force an guile, and generally allowing the other packs their own free reign in their territory as long as they kowtow to him when he shows up.

Those who can't or won't be turned are prey if they're not slaves. They can have their "human governments," but they're not allowed to have any defenses. They owe that to their packs, and only non-weres are subject to any "laws" these fools might make for themselves. Weres are subject to Pack Law, and can inflict it at will on the townsfolk who won't be turned.

Later, after his new "order" (chaotic as it is in practice) is established, being turned will be something people have to earn. His manipulations will keep non-weres terrified, and likely make them hate their oppressive werewolf overlords, but will also cultivate the greedy and ambitious to join the packs.

Govinator
2013-10-24, 03:37 PM
@AMFV

First and foremost transmission method, is being bitten sufficient for transmission, in which case there is a good chance that they will infect others intentionally or not intentionally

Yes! A bite is the primary method of transmission. Though nobody has worked on it (yet), the saliva could be distilled and spread the curse through a water supply.

Do they retain their former personalities and control?

They can, with extreme effort. The group that was originally cursed have become quite capable of controlling themselves during the Blood Moon, but it is no easy task. The freshly minted would almost all be consumed by rage and bloodlust, generally the first Blood Moon is not easy on anyone.

Additionally how militarized is the local area, a militarized and prepared area may be able to mobilize rapidly enough to fight back, whereas a largely agrarian or an urban area that isn't mobilized will likely be overwhelmed fairly rapidly and then infected.

Overall, not very well militarized. It is a motely collection of villages and tribes with no overarching regional government. The nearest nations with militaries capable of dealing with this are South of the nearby mountains, and wouldn't be able to respond in time.

And @ Segev.... I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! Your entire post was pure brilliance. Totally stealing for my campaign, its brilliant. Empire of the Wolf is glorious.

Segev
2013-10-25, 10:17 AM
Glad to help, and glad you like it! ^_^

The key thing, to me, to make it feel like a "CE empire" is that it's brutal, it doesn't enforce "order" so much as "we're in charge and you're our slaves," and that it allows the still-human population to HAVE laws...but they only apply to themselves. The "laws" of the pack are really whatever they say they are, but are stable enough to plan around. Kowtow to the pack, give them what they want, and you can survive. You might even be happy at times.

This has the makings - if he pulls off his plan - of an excellent horror setting. And the best horror settings have moments of normal joy and happiness despite the omnipresent pall of hopelessness and terror.

It should be noted, too, that human laws apply to humans... and a part of the intrigue and horror comes from occasionally finding out that a "human" is really one of the untouchable werewolves when you try to impose law on them. Or, just as frustrating, a given human is a "pet" of the werewolves, and they TELL you "no, don't prosecute HIS crimes."

Meanwhile, a few LE jerks can manipulate human law to build power for themselves even as they work with the loosey-goosey structure of their pack overlords.

It gets very anti-utopian. (Not dystopian; there's no illusion of "perfection" here except, perhaps, from the view of the werewolves.)

Of course, this is only if the wolf-lord pulls off his scheme. You can have it partially succeed by having some villages under his sway while the PCs lead a fight to prevent its spread, if the PCs do well enough in preventing the full takeover initially.