PDA

View Full Version : Str based throwing classes?

Deca4531
2013-09-30, 10:45 AM
Im looking to build a character around throw weapons, a highly buffed hammer specifically. so far i was looking at taking 5lvs of fighter then 3lvs of Hulking Hurler (http://dndtools.eu/classes/hulking-hurler/) i also looked into Master Thrower (http://dndtools.eu/classes/master-thrower/) but i dont care much for it, it seems based more for dagger throwers and many small hits instead of single large ones (which is that im going for). the only other thing i can think of might be War Hulk (http://dndtools.eu/classes/war-hulk/) just to balance out my melee and range ability.

Urpriest
2013-09-30, 10:47 AM
Bloodstorm Blade is kind of cheating, but it is the most straightforward way to make a Str-based thrower.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-09-30, 10:47 AM
Because you mentioned them both: google war hulking hurler. A less optimized version of that is still hilarious.

Deca4531
2013-09-30, 10:55 AM
Bloodstorm Blade is kind of cheating, but it is the most straightforward way to make a Str-based thrower.

Wow, thats a powerful class. what would give me the iron heart stuff though?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-09-30, 10:57 AM
Warbalde dip, followed by some feats. The dip FIRST is critical because.of how refteshing manuvers works.

Deca4531
2013-09-30, 11:04 AM
Hmm, so maybe Warblade 5 instead of fighter, but how many lv of bloodstorm would be optimal?

Urpriest
2013-09-30, 11:47 AM
Hmm, so maybe Warblade 5 instead of fighter, but how many lv of bloodstorm would be optimal?

I'd either go to 4th for Lightning Ricochet, or all the way to the end for the capstone, depending on what else you want to fit in to the build. Since you can Power Attack with thrown weapons (and unlike Power Throw you're actually using Power Attack), multipliers to that can help you, so Frenzied Berserker might actually be fairly juicy.

Deca4531
2013-09-30, 12:06 PM
Now do things like the Hulking Hurler's "Knockdown Throw" stack with things like Blade Storm?

Vaz
2013-09-30, 12:20 PM
Any strength melee focused build can choose one of two ways into a Strength Thrower; Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 2+ is available, but two levels of Psychic Warrior net you Expansion for large size and 2 Bonus feats to pick up Brutal Throw and Power Throw, which gives Strength to hit and Power Attack with Thrown weapons.

Deca4531
2013-09-30, 12:26 PM
Any strength melee focused build can choose one of two ways into a Strength Thrower; Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 2+ is available, but two levels of Psychic Warrior net you Expansion for large size and 2 Bonus feats to pick up Brutal Throw and Power Throw, which gives Strength to hit and Power Attack with Thrown weapons.

yeah, but you would have very limeted uses of the abilty a day, and they dont get a full bab.

Urpriest
2013-09-30, 12:32 PM
Now do things like the Hulking Hurler's "Knockdown Throw" stack with things like Blade Storm?

It looks like you need a special full-round action to use the Hulking Hurler abilities, so they wouldn't stack with any of the Bloodstorm Blade abilities that require their own special actions. Things that just enhance your attacks (the stances, the returning-like abilities, maybe Thunderous Throw depending on how you read it) would combo normally.

the_david
2013-09-30, 12:53 PM
What about the Stormlord from Complete Divine? Okay, you'd have to ask the DM to turn it into a Stormlord of Thor, with hammers instead of javelins, but it just might work.

Or not, as light hammers are terrible compared to javelins. It would work with a warhammer for the shock/thundering/shocking burst weapon ability, you just wouldn't get the enhancement bonuses. That wouldn't even be a bad thing, as you could still go for a +x throwing/returning warhammer and get shock/thundering/shocking burst from Stormlord.

Vaz
2013-09-30, 02:21 PM
yeah, but you would have very limeted uses of the abilty a day, and they dont get a full bab.

Manifester Weapons (or Arrows/Shuriken if you feel like being Cheeky) let you manifest it for free. Practised Manifester lets you get up to Huge size, for +16 Strength: that is +8 to attack and +12 damage on each power throw.

You mentioned War Hulk: that has no BAB progression at all.

Make sure you pick up Gauntlets of Endless Javelins (MiC)

Deca4531
2013-09-30, 06:18 PM
What about the Stormlord from Complete Divine? Okay, you'd have to ask the DM to turn it into a Stormlord of Thor, with hammers instead of javelins, but it just might work.

Or not, as light hammers are terrible compared to javelins. It would work with a warhammer for the shock/thundering/shocking burst weapon ability, you just wouldn't get the enhancement bonuses. That wouldn't even be a bad thing, as you could still go for a +x throwing/returning warhammer and get shock/thundering/shocking burst from Stormlord.

thats a good idea but getting to casting 3rd lv divine spells would be a big dip it get to it.