PDA

View Full Version : Alex Mercer Vs Darth Revan

LordChaos13
2013-09-30, 12:14 PM
The Republic is under attack by Darth Revan and his apprentice Malek heading a huge fleet.
The taskforce and Bastilla sent to kill him were slaughtered by Dark jedi before reaching the bridge so Malek never betrays his master

Can Alex mercer, a being pulled from another universe by the Jedi order, stop the threat

-Mercer as of end of Prototype 1 when he is kinda-heroic and regretful and all upgrades
-Revan as of KOTOR 1/2 ignoring the stuff in TOR. he is a tactical genius who fell willingly to save the galaxy
-The Force cannot be gained via nomming

Mercer starts posing as a new sith warrior (non-force-sensitive) boarding a ship in Revan entourage (not the flagship) with rudimentary knowledge of the Force
Revan knows there is a shapeshifter somewhere in his fleet but is unwilling to destroy a ship via ship-to-ship combat unless it fires first or has been proven to be empty except for Mercer

Who wins?

V'icternus
2013-09-30, 12:30 PM
--Major spoilers for both Prototype games, obviously--

This is an odd one. Mercer is practically indestructible, but Revan has the Force, and is ridiculously good at using it.

The Force, going just by the films, allows you to read and manipulate minds, move objects of any size (if you can overcome their size with your mind), predict the future, and gives you super reflexes.

Mercer's biggest weakness, in this specific situation, is that he is not on the ship with Revan. If he was, and it came to a fight between them, I'd give him even odds.

As it is, he'll have to rely on his stealth consumes to eat someone who can fly the ship, and try to destroy Revan that way. Which would mean he'd have to kill all the loyal Sith on the ship he's on, who wouldn't be fond of his plan to attack Revan. And you can't fly a Sith Battle Cruiser with one man, no matter how much knowledge you eat out of them.

And as soon as he tries, Revan or his men can blow Mercer out of the sky (space) and leave him either disintegrated, or trying to reform in hard vacuum.

And despite his nuke-surviving abilities, he's still organic, and obviously can be killed if completely destroyed.

I'd give this specific situation to Revan. He's in total control here.

One on one, in an inescapable arena, Mercer has a lot more going for him. But I think I'd still give it to Revan, simply because he's so damn good at what he does. A slightly lesser Jedi/Sith, I'd give it to Mercer.

Tanuki Tales
2013-09-30, 04:55 PM
It's a pity Revan's fight against The Emperor isn't being allowed, but he still outclasses Mercer is nearly every conceivable way except purely physical lifting and striking strength, but he can match and surpass this with the Force.

Though in this situation, I don't see why Revan can't use a combination of telepathy and force precog to determine generally where Mercer is.

smuchmuch
2013-09-30, 07:13 PM
Are we talking Revan as seen trhough the eyes of KOTOR 1 or KOTOR 2 here ?

Because in case of KOTOR 1, Revan likely wins.
He's force sensitive, very smart ,"just that good" by jedi standart, a mechanical genius and Star war technology is itty bit more advanced than what mercer is used too. I understand mercer is tough and sneaky but that's probably a bit too big of a challenge here.

In case of KOTOR 2... Revan has already won. In fact he's the one who somehow arranged for Mercer to be transported and now mercer is going to save the Republic weither he likes it or not.
In fact he's manipulating me through time and space into writting this post right now. force echoooeeeees
(Seriously as much as I liked KOTOR2 writting, there was some part where the whole thing started getting frankly ridculous when it came to Revan)

V'icternus
2013-09-30, 09:41 PM
Are we talking Revan as seen trhough the eyes of KOTOR 1 or KOTOR 2 here ?

Because in case of KOTOR 1, Revan likely wins.
He's force sensitive, very smart ,"just that good" by jedi standart, a mechanical genius and Star war technology is itty bit more advanced than what mercer is used too. I understand mercer is tough and sneaky but that's probably a bit too big of a challenge here.

In case of KOTOR 2... Revan has already won. In fact he's the one who somehow arranged for Mercer to be transported and now mercer is going to save the Republic weither he likes it or not.
In fact he's manipulating me through time and space into writting this post right now. force echoooeeeees
(Seriously as much as I liked KOTOR2 writting, there was some part where the whole thing started getting frankly ridculous when it came to Revan)

Actually, Revan was just a tactical genius who had knowledge and plans he didn't tell anybody about, which made him unpredictable. He wasn't trying to crush the republic, so his movements and attacks seemed erratic, at best.

He certainly isn't responsible for the Jedi Exile. In fact, he sent them to Malachor to let them die, or be broken. And, in a way, it worked. But then they came back.

Remember, when playing KotOR II, you're talking to people who, almost exclusively, worship Revan as some paragon of everything he did. HK, Kreia, Mandalore, T3... And to everyone else, he was an unstoppable force, so of course rumours of him went out of control.

But he wasn't infallible, and his plans didn't always work. As Goto points out, the republic is crumbling. Revan didn't expect the deaths of all the Jedi after he left into the unknown regions, and he figured the republic would pull itself together and defeat the remnants of his own forces.

Even he had no idea what he'd started at Malachor.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand.

You can't sneak up on a Jedi Knight, much less a master, and much less Revan. Mercer can assume the form of anyone he eats (and according to cutscenes, but not gameplay, can hold multiple forms), but that probably won't help him.

However.

There is no Mercer. Alex Mercer is dead. The virus took on his form. He is basically just a lump of biomass with Mercer's memories. It's not clear how this affects any potential mind-reading. He may well be able to hide on Revan's bridge without being discovered, unless Revan directs his focus to every soldier on that bridge in turn, then blasts the one that's different out the airlock.

If Mercer managed to get in the room with Revan, he could almost certainly take out Revan's mooks with minimal damage to himself. Even the so-called 'Sith Lords' serving under Revan were no match for him at his full power.

And in an actual fight, Mercer does have a chance. Revan has overwhelming force (literally), and agility. He can pin you down, whip out his two lightsabers and start swinging until it doesn't matter how invulnerable you are, because there's not enough left of you to reform.

But, Mercer being the virus in human form, he could, for example, suddenly turn his feet into whips, or his face into a blade. A surprise attack while Revan thinks he has you held down!

Of course, force precognition prevents this from being a killing blow, but it should be enough to break Revan's concentration enough to force him to release Mercer's body. And then, Mercer has a lot of options. Anyone playing the game remembers the critical mass moves, and some of them would be near-impossible to dodge, even for Revan. And Revan is no more durable than any human.

I imagine this altercation ending with both men alive, Mercer trapped behind a force cage to be studied, and Revan discovering a new weapon to unleash on whomever he desires.

Tanuki Tales
2013-09-30, 09:44 PM
And in an actual fight, Mercer does have a chance. Revan has overwhelming force (literally), and agility. He can pin you down, whip out his two lightsabers and start swinging until it doesn't matter how invulnerable you are, because there's not enough left of you to reform.

But, Mercer being the virus in human form, he could, for example, suddenly turn his feet into whips, or his face into a blade. A surprise attack while Revan thinks he has you held down!

Of course, force precognition prevents this from being a killing blow, but it should be enough to break Revan's concentration enough to force him to release Mercer's body. And then, Mercer has a lot of options. Anyone playing the game remembers the critical mass moves, and some of them would be near-impossible to dodge, even for Revan. And Revan is no more durable than any human.

I imagine this altercation ending with both men alive, Mercer trapped behind a force cage to be studied, and Revan discovering a new weapon to unleash on whomever he desires.

Mercer isn't catching Revan offguard, at all. The speed difference between the two is honestly monstrous.

MLai
2013-10-01, 10:43 AM
Is this Revan fella some sort of Lvl.3 Super Saiyan Sith? Because I'm thinking about Alex Mercer, and I'm thinking about all the Jedi/Sith in the movies, and honestly none of them would be able to stand up to Alex Mercer.

Hyena
2013-10-01, 10:49 AM
Well, he kinda is. Darth Revan is everyone's favourite mary sue and the most ridiculously good sith in the Expanded Universe, except
Lord Vitiate

V'icternus
2013-10-01, 11:20 AM
Yeah, Revan's OP, no doubt about it.

He took over the fight against the Mandalorians. During the Mandalorian Wars.

And he is universally credited with not just the ending of those wars with victory for the Republic, but with crippling the Mandalorians so much that they never stood back up.

...And then he turned around, declared war on the Republic himself, and basically half the people in the galaxy went "yeah, alright", and began a new "Sith" war. He battled the whole Republic, and was going to win. Then, when the world needed him most, he vanished. After doing awesome and incredible things.

Mercer threatened a city.

Twice.

Revan saved the galaxy, then was set to conquer it, then went off to save it again from something worse.

It's just a matter of scale.

And the power of The Force.

Macros
2013-10-01, 11:27 AM
Plus, let's face it, the Extended Universe gave Jedi and Sith a serious power-boost compared to the movies. It's kind of ridiculous, actually. :smalltongue:

Guancyto
2013-10-01, 04:55 PM
I'm gonna give this one to Mercer, actually.

Per KotOR 1 and 2, Revan can't jump. :smalltongue:

Edit: Unless he's a Guardian, in which case he can't jump more than a foot off the ground. :smalltongue:

MLai
2013-10-01, 10:40 PM
I'm gonna give this one to Mercer, actually.
Per KotOR 1 and 2, Revan can't jump. :smalltongue:
Wait how can you have a game about Jedi/Sith, without a jump button???

Brother Oni
2013-10-02, 01:55 AM
Wait how can you have a game about Jedi/Sith, without a jump button???

Bioware third person RPG built off a modified version of the old Neverwinter Nights engine.