PDA

View Full Version : Events for Kingdom-Building & Exploration; Trying to Breathe More Life into Kingmaker

EccentricOwl
2013-09-30, 12:30 PM
A big preface - I've run Kingmaker 'straight' once before, deviating only narrowly from the original plot, which is pretty open-ended and fairly good.

Now, I am going to try to run it again with a completely different group.

This time around, I'm going to be using the Fate system, with some of the rules from the in-development "Wrath of the Autarch" as my kingdom-building engine. (If you have any other favorite systems to help simulate the development of a polity, please tell me - I'm all ears!)

However, a lot of Kingmaker's explortion ends up being a little same-y. Strange villages of enemies that you can either kill or ally with. Odd temples and ancient locations that basically end up being combat encounters. Lots of hexes with fairies.

I want to maybe change some of the subplots and elements. I want to add more stories that focus on the exploration (maybe new events and encounters in hexes) or add in new longer-term events. I'm not entirely sure how this might mesh with the 'on-map' nature of Kingmaker.

I guess that's really what I want; more events, more stories, and more decisions. These stories could probably fit into pretty much any game where you run a kingdom or do lots of open-world exploration.