PDA

View Full Version : NPC Depositorium! (Stash your unused characters here!)

DefKab
2013-09-30, 12:41 PM
So, I'm building a campaign, and I notice that I have a fundamental lack of NPCs, and due to the nature of these boards, I figure it wouldn't be out-of-the-way to make a thread dedicated to sharing NPCs, and maybe fill some requests...

For instance, I could use a Halfling Rogue, a Elven Wizard, or a Human Cleric.

Rules are yet to be determined, but lets shy away from mechanics and talk fluff for a bit.

For instance, I offer up Ianhorn Goldbludgeon, a Dwarven fighter from the Goldbludgeon clan.
Ian started as a line infantry in the dwarven militia. Years of training towards phalanx style formation fighting has left him sort of a 1 on 1 kind of guy. He aims to be competent, not wanting to be first, and never ending up last, so his personality is kind of muffled. He's now working as a mercenary, picking up jobs that cater to his skill at being a strong arm.

Something a little more specific, I offer Rock (Shardmind Wizard).
Rock awoke to a farmer standing over his body. The first question posed to him, by the farmer, was "What are you, some kind of rock?" Having the complete ability to speak, despite any memories at all, he responded with a simple "I guess I am..." and dubbed himself Rock, from then on. Naturally adept at arcane magics, he picked up the art quickly, and in his travels has even picked up an unusual familiar, a tiny gelatinous cube, which he affectionately refers to as Naughtroc, being as far away from a Rock like himself as one can be....

So, whaddaya say guys? Got some characters we can borrow?

AgentofHellfire
2013-09-30, 01:20 PM
Oh, I have unbelievably many. XD

Virex Algandier, Elven detective, for your perusal (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=360778)

(Description and backstory are down at the bottom)

Asta of Rising Earth, Wild Elf Rogue (of the Vigilante kind) here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13604766&postcount=747) (Though I may have stats for her, they're not on that page...I'll look around...)

Her current employer, a Tiefling Bard by the name of Hirel Alevan! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13611349&postcount=748)

Xerga, one of those annoying media caricatures of strong women deconstructed Half-Orc Barbarian Warrior! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13076617&postcount=705)

Adrian, Bishop of Hadramborough dedicated to St. Cuthbert!

Adrian was actually, till the barbarian hordes took it, next in line for the Duchy of Hadramborough. However, once the barbarian hordes took it, her father was very explicit to her about whom he blamed. The both of them, being more suited to peaceful leadership and thus not viewed as worthy of a warrior's death, were enslaved, and that no effort at all was taken to get them was more reason to both her father and her to hate the ones in charge of the Hadramborough operation.

Adrian managed to escape her captors, however, but her father died a slave, and she only survived herself thanks to a fortuitous encounter with a more adventuresome clergyman of St. Cuthbert. As she had no place to go, the church took her in, and she lived in and rose through its ranks, making it all the way to bishop.

...and that's where the problems started. Upon reaching bishop status, she was assigned to that plot of land once hers, and that was now owned by a man she held quite a grudge against--and, if that wasn't enough, their ruling styles were completely different. Though Adrian is generally good, she has let these factors overwhelm her judgement, causing her to attempt to hamper everything the Duke does.
(For a bit more elaboration on the personality, the character she's meant to contrast with is a bit more on the aggressive/warlike/testosterone-fueled side, meaning she's generally very wary/cautious about risks, and first and foremost concerned with her duties to the people around her)

Chare, Drow Rogue! (http://fantasyrole.org/char_profile.asp?id=3550&ap=0&sid=4)

Ardula (also called Duella), Chare's Drow Wizard Lover! (http://fantasyrole.org/char_profile.asp?id=3551)

Devebaal, Blue Dragon with a virtuous/self-righteous streak! (http://www.fantasyrole.org/char_profile.asp?id=3585&ap=0&sid=4)

Auxihlo'ros, Orc Sorcerer
When Auxihlo'ros was born as an orc lad named Trigduzh, very...strange things always happened, just around him. Flowers wilted, game was lost...people died...

Essentially, he was a curse to all who stood near him, and the orcs of his tribe noticed. They also very nearly killed him, driving him out of their camp at first, to let the gods claim him, and when that didn't work out, sending some thugs out to keep him dead.

But then, a great Blue Dragon appeared before him, saved his life, and explained to him the altent potential for magic that caused him to be such a bad omen. In exchange, Auxhilo'ros would come to use that power to help Devebaal with her little project...and Auxhilo'ros very much enjoys this. He doesn't much like orcs, and while what he's doing isn't killing them all, the looks on their faces when he declares a group of them nonpersons for trying to get their grubby hands on a bit of the budding orc nation's food supplies is well worth having to deal with them.

DefKab
2013-09-30, 02:46 PM
Wow, what a start!
And, if you don't mind, I'd love to use Auxihlo'ros in my campaign. He would be a perfect hook to the Orc community in my world...

Also, as an added aside (assonance and alliteration: always amazes!) Maybe it would help if when you post a character, you add a Pronunciation Guide to their name?

AgentofHellfire
2013-09-30, 02:50 PM
Wow, what a start!
And, if you don't mind, I'd love to use Auxihlo'ros in my campaign. He would be a perfect hook to the Orc community in my world...

XD I do not mind in the slightest.

If anything, it kind of feeds my ego a bit. :smalltongue:

Silverbit
2013-09-30, 03:43 PM
Ooh, NPC depositories! These are always fun, I've got loads of NPCs I'll probably never actually use in a game.

3.P stats available for all below.

Radsvinn Redbarb, Dwarf-Betrayer
(Rads vin Redbarb)
Dwarf Sorcerer
Radsvinn (or "Rad" to his few remaining friends) was just a normal dwarf, happy to live out his days in the clan mine, knocking back mead in the evenings and sharpening his axe. The usual. Then, a circle of wizards foolishly decided to take his clan's ancestral fortress for their own. The battle was long and hard, with fireball-hurling wizards trading shots with mighty dwarf ballistae, but the result was a forgone conclusion. Even a group of wizards couldn't breach the fortress, and the dwarves were safe. All save Radsvinn. He had betrayed his clan and his family honour, hoping to rule over the remnants of his people. It was not to be; when his treachery was discovered, his beard was shaved and he was cast out. Now he hides in the shadows, amassing powerful magic items and dangerous allies to retake what he still views as his fortress.

Nesh-Hek-Bek
(Nesh Hek Bek)
Kobold Barbarian
When Radsvinn Redbarb fled his ancestral fortress, Nesh was one of the first allies he found. A kobold barbarian of unusual charisma and ambition, the exiled dwarf installed him as leader of his kobold tribe, the Mountainroot Gnawers. To repay Radsvinn, the kobold directed his tribe to forever serve him. They act as the dwarf's minions and infantry, and more than once they've undermined his foe's citadels, and sung war songs amidst the rubble.

inexorabletruth
2013-09-30, 04:22 PM
I have many, but most of my campaigns are low-level. What build CR or ECL are you looking for?

The Oni
2013-10-01, 02:56 AM
Was a Pathfinder character I cooked up upon seeing the Undead Lord Cleric archetype, but he was rejected 'cause Undead Lord is illegal in PFS (apparently it's bad form to walk around with undead buddies when almost every party's got a Cleric of Sarenrae.)

Any class that uses a lot of undead minions should work for him.

"Don of the Dead" (Human, LN or LE)

Previously the underboss of a vicious and powerful crime family. The family leadership was almost completely wiped out, and the grunts taken out one by one until they were dead or fled. As the only survivor, he struck himself a deal with Zyphus, god of graveyards and tragedy, to acquire the power to revive his "business associates" as undead muscle to rebuild the family name. Uses a crossbow and a heavy pick. He calls his undead minions by name, although he isn't sure they can really "hear" him, and is even known to have drinks with them. As the last living member of the family, he appropriated himself the Don of the Dead.

Italian accent is optional.

DefKab
2013-10-01, 11:08 AM
I have many, but most of my campaigns are low-level. What build CR or ECL are you looking for?

Nothing in particular, I'm just looking for fresh NPC ideas, and I wanted to start a sharing community, where we spread our neat ideas. Like Rad up above. I LOVE his story, and it fits well in my campaign.

And Don of the Dead is just incredible. I love puns. You guys are just filling up my world. :smallbiggrin:

Silverbit
2013-10-01, 12:58 PM
Glad to hear you like Rad :smallsmile:. It'd be cool to see a campaign log of your campaign, it sounds like its going to be a good one if you use these NPCs.

tiltedwindmill
2013-10-02, 11:48 PM
I always hate it when people make a suggestion that involves a lot of work while having no intention of doing any themselves, but here i go...

what would we have to do to make this NPC depository sortable and searchable? maybe one already exists somewhere?

DefKab
2013-10-03, 08:12 AM
I always hate it when people make a suggestion that involves a lot of work while having no intention of doing any themselves, but here i go...

what would we have to do to make this NPC depository sortable and searchable? maybe one already exists somewhere?

I think it would require two things. 1: A whole new website... I doubt functional changes can be made on the forum without hyperlinking everything...
and 2: More content.

Ghost Nappa
2013-10-03, 09:49 AM
Would you also accept old PCs? They're not always appropriate for what you're doing but if you're players come looking for a cohort or hire a guy to do a thing for them it might help to just rely on an already made character rather than create one.

DefKab
2013-10-03, 10:03 AM
Would you also accept old PCs? They're not always appropriate for what you're doing but if you're players come looking for a cohort or hire a guy to do a thing for them it might help to just rely on an already made character rather than create one.

Oh yes, of course. I imagine a lot of worlds are filled with adventurers, and other adventurers will definitely liven up a place. Any character can be used, a simple personality or description is all thats need. Or even an NPC idea. Like An elf who is secretly advising a human ruler to invade his hometown, as a plot of revenge against his ruling brother.

Ghost Nappa
2013-10-03, 11:25 AM
Oh yes, of course. I imagine a lot of worlds are filled with adventurers, and other adventurers will definitely liven up a place. Any character can be used, a simple personality or description is all thats need. Or even an NPC idea. Like An elf who is secretly advising a human ruler to invade his hometown, as a plot of revenge against his ruling brother.

I was thinking more along the lines of recycling characters from old games and putting them into new places.

Here's my contribution of an adventurer :

Race: (Lightfoot) Halfling
Physical Description: Male, 20 years old, 3' 6", 30 lbs. Brown Eyes, Short Unkept Black Hair, Fair Skin
Neutral Good Level 4 Rogue, 21 HP
7 STR / 18 DEX / 14 CON / 17 INT / 11 WIS / 15 CHA
BAB: +4

Mithril Shirt (Equipped) AC: 19 Touch: 15 Flat-footed: 13 if immobilized (17 otherwise)
Light Crossbow (Equipped)
30 Crossbow Bolts (Equipped)
Morningstar (Melee Weapon)
Backpack
Bedroll
Common Lamp
Thieves' Tools
Rations: 4
Water Skin
3 Pints of Oil
Flint and Steel
Grappling Hook
"Snazzy" Stilts
Thunderstone: 1
Ear Plugs made from Wargs
2624.90 gp

Balance: 7 Ranks
Bluff: 7 Ranks
Climb: 6 Ranks
Decipher Script: 1 Rank
Disable Device: 7 Ranks
Hide: 6 Ranks
Knowledge (Local): 1 Rank
Listen: 7 Ranks
Move Silently: 6 Ranks
Open Lock: 7 Ranks
Search: 7 Ranks
Sleight of Hand: 1 Rank
Spot: 7 Ranks
Tumble: 7 Ranks
Common, Halfling, Orc, Goblin, Gnome

Improved Initiative
Point Blank Shot

Sneak Attack + 2d6
Trapfinding
Evasion
Trap Sense +1
Uncanny Dodge
Falco prefers the hit-and-run approach to combat. Hiding comes naturally to him and he will wait until he has a clear shot before striking. He is an archer first and foremost and prefers to fight at a distance. If he cannot escape or run from an enemy he will hold his ground, but given even the slightest opportunity, he will hide once again. Falco is generally cautious while fighting and will surrender without hesitation when clearly outnumbered.
Values: Family is a big deal for Falco and most of his adventuring and travelling have been because of family concerns. His cousin was killed when his family's caravan was ambushed by goblins (vile creatures to whom he shows no remorse or pity) and he was separated from them along with his goddaughter.

Spellcasters are well-respected by Falco and his family for magical goods are far rarer, more valuable and have so many stories associated with them. However, the only wizard (Kai'oru, an elf) and cleric (Oskar, a dwarf) he have met have proven to be a liability, failing at almost everything they do.

Opinions on other Races: Blatantly and utterly HATES Goblins who have repeatedly endangered and killed his family and friends.

Halflings and Gnomes are quick friends for Falco all of whom have proven to be reliable and friendly.

Apathetic to Dwarves and Elves. Tolerant of humans, however a number of them are quite racist towards Halfling in Falco's home country, and will talk back (especially to Royalty) if insulted. He is not however willing to come to blows with them and prefers showing off how awesome Halflings can be. Humans are a sort of rival, it seems.

Opinions on Classes: Slightly patronizing of Fighters, Wizards, and Clerics: all of whom he has met to be ineffectual and incompetent at their jobs and frequently getting into trouble (Kai'oru, an elven wizard once tried to bull rush a baby dragon with a broken hand unarmed. Excellent RPing, but WOW that was a bad decision). Contrasting are "jack-of-all-trade" classes like Bards and Beguilers whom he appreciates having around and Druids, whom he has a lot of respect for. Crafters of magical equipment are however command much respect with their talents, and may pique his interests and earn his trust by simply talking about the construction process or famous artifacts and the like.

Three guesses as to why he carries around stilts. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0294.html) First two don't count. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0304.html)

After escaping the goblin ambush that killed his cousin and separated him from his family, Falco fled into the forests of Ragya Kallit (a large gnomish farming country) from two goblins pursuers carrying his infant goddaughter. He managed to kill his two goblin pursuers but found himself lost. When he had returned to the scene of the attack, days later, his family had moved on. Guessing which way they had gone, he returned to the city of Kingsbury, the largest city on the continent, and the capitol of ALL THREE major countries that composed the continent.

He incidentally met the Human Crown Prince in a bar who had disguised himself poorly and was offered a job to help him woo a girl he was smitten with. Falco declined and the next day the country was in an uproar that the Prince had been kidnapped. Forced to work together with the handful of other people in the tavern who were "the last to have seen him," Falco set out to find and return the human prince. Days later, it turned out to have been a treasonous plot by the Elven Queen (who was an evil witch) to plunge the continent into war. The plot failed and the elven queen was put on trial and executed for attempting to incite war, with the group he was travelling with named heroes. Soon later the imbalance between the Gnome, Human and Elven Kingdoms became worse and Falco became sick of the international in-fighting of the continent and after re-uniting with his family for a major festival in the city, set out on boat into explore the rest of the world.
And I think that's everything.

I think I might add more later, but for right now, I'm a bit too hungry.

BWR
2013-10-03, 12:09 PM
I have a couple of characters I never got to play in L5R which are probably fine for NPCs. With a little work they may even work for other settings.

Hida Akito - Scholar berserker
While his outward appearance shows no more than your average big Hida, he is at heart a scholar and an intellectual. He never really mastered the Hida bushi school techniques but his ability to focus and concentrate on his opponent to the exclusion of all else meshed well with the berserker style. Though his accent is as rough and plain as any Hida, he has an ear for languages and a talent for reproducing any accent he has heard. Only marginally competant in combat, he is the closest thing Rokugan has to a philologist and linguist. He can usually be found as part of a Crab delegation to the Phoenix. His interest in scholarly pursuits means he gets along well with the Asako, since they can avoid the most common topic of Crab research (though he is well-versed about the Shadowlands - he is a Crab, after all).
Skills: All starting combat skills at 1, high ranks in many Lore skills.
Advantages: Large, Sage, Fukurokujin's Blessing, Languages (Nezumi, naga, yobanjin, always on the lookout for more)
Disadvantages: Can't Lie, Contrary (compelled to correct people who are wrong).

Doji Tsuke - discgruntled ex-Crab
Married into the Crane as part of a peace treaty, the former Hida Tsuke cannot look less like a Crane if he tried. He's at least a head taller and half again as wide as any other Crane in the room, and despite his perfect attire and clean shaven face gives the impression of beard stubble shabbiness. When introducing himself he has a tendency to puff up his chest a bit and say in a loud voice "I am Hi...", then he breaks off, slumps a bit and mutters "Doji Tsuke. His spouse has given up trying to make him into something resembling a truly civilized person and Tsuke is often allowed to serve on the Wall - "to show how much the Crane value the Crab's efforts for the Empire". However, sometimes Tsuke is needed at home to perform various functions for his new family, which leaves everyone on edge.

Hiruma Junnosuke - odd onnagata
Big as your average Hida, coarse and foul-mouthed and perfectly capable of ripping your arms out of your sockets if he loses a game, Junnosuke is also an amazingly skilled actor. He can imitate just about any voice he has ever heard and had be been blessed (or cursed) to have an average sized body and born in any clan but the Crab he would have had a successful career as one of the great actors of the day. However, he prefers to spend time on patrol rather than anything else.
He first realized his skill in a draw-lot play where he was given the part of Lady Doji. He realized something was wrong when all his compatriots, rather than laughing, just looked at him strangely and slightly lustfully.
He has improved his skills more as a hobby than anything else and enjoys making people feel confused and uncomfortable by seeing a big brute act and sound like a perfect, demure maid or sing nearly as well as any geisha.
Skills: Acting 5
Advantages: Large, Great Potential (acting), Voice

...yes, I like my big, beefy Crab. Why do you ask?