View Full Version : [PF]Pathfinder Society MAD builds?

OverdrivePrime
2013-09-30, 02:28 PM
I'm going to my first con in ages this November, and I want to try a couple Pathfinder Society games.

I'm used to pretty significant point buy (32-36 usually), or just 4d6b3 rolls in the games I play and run. In contrast, Pathfinder Society games only allow 20 point buy. That's like... 2 stats at 16 and the rest at 10, or maybe 1 stat at 16, 2 stats at 14 and the rest at 10. Or maybe an 18 and a 13 and the rest at 10.

In any case, it makes me wonder about the viability of melee characters (where you want great strength and good constitution, and hopefully your mental stats aren't all sitting in the basement). It seems to me that 20 point buy would lead to a handful of big stupid fighters getting eclipsed by a crowd of wizards and clerics.

And then there's the MAD classes that I like to play - Bard, Ranger, Magus, etc. Are these viable at all in Pathfinder society, or am I just better off building an Int 18, Con 14 Wizard and calling it a day? (Yes, I know the wizard will be hilariously more powerful, even at level 1. I'd rather not play a wizard or Cleric.)

Larkas
2013-09-30, 03:32 PM
Pathfinder point but works differently. You can run around with base 14/14/14/14/10/10 with 20 points, if you'd like.

OverdrivePrime
2013-09-30, 04:02 PM
Pathfinder point but works differently. You can run around with base 14/14/14/14/10/10 with 20 points, if you'd like.

Hrm. I suppose, but it's hard to think about a 'mighty' strength 16 barbarian. I suppose it'd work alright for a ranger, not so much for a melee bard.

I'm trying to figure out how to make a magus work. High strength, high int, hopefully not completely without charisma.

Larkas
2013-09-30, 04:17 PM
Hrm. I suppose, but it's hard to think about a 'mighty' strength 16 barbarian. I suppose it'd work alright for a ranger, not so much for a melee bard.

I'm trying to figure out how to make a magus work. High strength, high int, hopefully not completely without charisma.

16/10/10/16/10/10 base is also a possibility. I don't know if there's a +Str/+Int race in PFS, but if there is, there're some double 18s for you.

It's not all roses and sunshines for MAD characters in PFS, mind you, but its far from hard to build an effective one either.

OverdrivePrime
2013-09-30, 04:42 PM
There's just something about the Magus class I don't like (could be my bias against scimitars), but I really want to play a gish type. That... seems really hard to make effective in PFS.

I'm eyeing up a Ranger/Witch or Wizard combo or heck, maybe even a Paladin/Oracle, but the numbers I keep scribbling down make the character look unlikely to survive to level 5. :smallsigh:

Saidoro
2013-09-30, 05:37 PM
Alchemist and Druid make good gishes. For an alchemist just take beastmorph and vivisectionist and pick up feral mutagen as quickly as you can. They can be either Str or Dex based, depending on whether you want to grab weapon finesse. You need some intelligence just for bonus elixers per day, but it doesn't determine your save DCs or anything. Druid you should be mostly familiar with, save that you need a decent Str score. Just lower Wis a bit and focus more on buffs.

grarrrg
2013-09-30, 07:48 PM
Regarding the 14/14/14/14/10/10 array, and the 16/16/10/10/10/10 array, remember, you DO get to apply Race stats on top of these.

Lets say...Dwarf Monk? Start with 14/14/14/14/10/10
Monks don't need CHA, and INT can go too, after Race we have a decent, if unspectacular, 14/14/16/10/16/8
Maybe wiggle the CON and WIS down a touch to boost the STR up...
16/14/15/10/14/8 that's workable, maybe swap the CON/WIS. You're good.

Starting with one or two odd ability scores can also help your points go a little farther.

And I'm not up on Society rules, but you CAN dump a stat, yes? Dropping a stat (or two) to 7 or 8 can free up some points to go elsewhere.

OverdrivePrime
2013-10-01, 12:50 PM
Hmm... I seem to be gravitating toward a Paladin/Oracle, which is not something I expected.

For stat array, I'm thinking STR>CHA>CON>DEX>INT>WIS, and starting Human Paladin 1, Oracle 1, Paladin 2, Oracle X.

I haven't been able to find any prestige classes that marry the two base classes together well, but I'm not very experienced with divine casters in Pathfinder.

Dapple Birch
2013-10-01, 04:20 PM
IMO paladin and oracle mesh very well even without a prestige class to cap them off though I wouldn't be surprised to see someone who thought they needed one. Have you given the SRD a look? It's a bit easier to find archetypes and prestige classes than the paizo site. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo

If you don't like the magus have you looked into eldritch knight? You'd be looking at at least wizard5/fighter1 to get in, but that would still mean 5th level spells by level 12 compared to the 4th level spells of a magus, or 6th level of a straight wizard.

Also keep in mind that PFS usually caps out at 12th level

grarrrg
2013-10-01, 05:47 PM
Hmm... I seem to be gravitating toward a Paladin/Oracle, which is not something I expected.

Not gonna say it.

For stat array, I'm thinking STR>CHA>CON>DEX>INT>WIS, and starting Human Paladin 1, Oracle 1, Paladin 2, Oracle X.

Still not gonna say it.

I haven't been able to find any prestige classes that marry the two base classes together well, but I'm not very experienced with divine casters in Pathfinder.

There are no real prestige options, but some archetypes may help you out.
Holy Tactictian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/holy-tactician) is pretty solid for 3rd level, you get your choice of Bonus Teamwork feat, AND can share it with the WHOLE PARTY ALL DAY LONG.
You do get an overall weaker version of Smite Evil though, but with so few levels in Paladin anyway...eh.

OverdrivePrime
2013-10-01, 09:39 PM
IMO paladin and oracle mesh very well even without a prestige class to cap them off though I wouldn't be surprised to see someone who thought they needed one. Have you given the SRD a look? It's a bit easier to find archetypes and prestige classes than the paizo site. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo

If you don't like the magus have you looked into eldritch knight? You'd be looking at at least wizard5/fighter1 to get in, but that would still mean 5th level spells by level 12 compared to the 4th level spells of a magus, or 6th level of a straight wizard.

Also keep in mind that PFS usually caps out at 12th level
That's good to know about the PFS cap. Hopefully this character will be playable and fun at early and mid stages.

Hmm... yeah, Holy Vindicator is about the best prestige class I could find, but I honestly like Pally 2/Oracle X a lot better. I've been playing Pathfinder for about 3 1/2 years now and have found that archetypes have almost completely replaced prestige classes for me. The only prestige class I've really taken a shine to is the Chevalier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/chevalier).

Though for a true gish build, you do need Eldritch Knight - flavorless though it is - and I'm very happy to see that the Arcane Archer is greatly improved over its 3.5 incarnation, though curiously now Ranger 2/Wizard 8 seems the best lead-in to the class.

Not gonna say it.

Still not gonna say it.

There are no real prestige options, but some archetypes may help you out.
Holy Tactictian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/holy-tactician) is pretty solid for 3rd level, you get your choice of Bonus Teamwork feat, AND can share it with the WHOLE PARTY ALL DAY LONG.
You do get an overall weaker version of Smite Evil though, but with so few levels in Paladin anyway...eh.

Saaaay what? :smallamused:

Holy tactician looks pretty interesting. I've never played a paladin before, so I haven't really looked at its archetypes.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Psyren
2013-10-01, 10:43 PM
Saaaay what? :smallamused:

I can only assume he's coyly hinting at his Oradin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365) build :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2013-10-02, 12:06 AM
I can only assume he's coyly hinting at his Oradin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365) build :smalltongue:

Not so much "coyly hinting" as "resisting the urge to do what is expected". :smalltongue:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-02, 01:07 AM
16/10/10/16/10/10 base is also a possibility. I don't know if there's a +Str/+Int race in PFS, but if there is, there're some double 18s for you.

It's not all roses and sunshines for MAD characters in PFS, mind you, but its far from hard to build an effective one either.Personally I'm a fan of 16/14/14/12/10/8.

Oddly enough, that makes a very solid wizard. :P

OverdrivePrime
2013-10-02, 10:51 AM
Not so much "coyly hinting" as "resisting the urge to do what is expected". :smalltongue:

:smallbiggrin: /slaps forehead with gusto.

Not sure how I missed that. Thanks!