PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Homebrew Alchemist Extracts

Mr. Whatever
2013-09-30, 03:14 PM
So yeah, I thought I'd throw this out there. One idea I had a while ago was the idea for an extract that would bottle the person who drank it (typically the alchemist, or an ally if you have the infusion discovery) and preserve them magically. When the bottle is broken by throwing it (Maybe a standard action?) the alchemist or ally pops out as if you had just used summon monster.

If you were a DM would you allow the home brewing of this? What are some limitations, the spell level, and such that you would include in it?

Oh, and I had an idea for a greater version as well that allows you to chain bottle. So you throw the bottle and out pops an ally who can act immediately to unbottle a second and maybe a third ally. BAM!

But I'm a crazy person.

Psyren
2013-09-30, 07:21 PM
Sounds more like a curse to me. How would you get out on your own if you drank it?

A big limitation is size - few spells can get a creature below one size category, and fitting into a bottle would mean you'd have to get down to at least Tiny if not Diminutive.

Bhaakon
2013-09-30, 07:38 PM
I don't see size as a major limitation, really. There are spells that create extra-dimensional spaces big enough for a medium humanoid as early as level 2, as well as spells that allow for squeezing through spaces as tight as a bottle neck.

I presume that there's be a time limit, probably on the order of an hour per level, with perhaps a nominal amount of damage to the subject if they exceed the duration and suddenly return to reality inside a bottle. Would you be able to trap opponents who were tricked into drinking the extract? If so then I'd say a level 4+ extract. If it's willing targets only, then maybe as low as level 2 (since it's basically a utility spell for sneaking allies into places).