PDA

View Full Version : Type of game??

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-29, 04:01 PM
What type of game do you play? Hack n' slash, roleplay, rollplay, intrigue, low magic, high magic. etc. I thought about making this a poll but it would be too unwieldy so what type of games do you play and what type would you like to play.

I have always played high magic/ fantasy (bordering on hack n' slash) games they are fun but my group is resistant to change.

I would like to try a real low magic gritty survivalist type of game with characters trying to survive against ferocious beasts and harsh climates kind of like dark sun or an arctic climate but lower magic.

Dark Knight Renee
2006-12-29, 04:54 PM
Heavy roleplay, usually a fantasy or scifi setting, often with crossovers. At times when we're feeling lazy or particularly impatient with the rules or to get to a plot point, we glaze over combats completely.

Pegasos989
2006-12-29, 05:08 PM
When not playin WoD, I play DnD as high fantasy, roleplay and hack'n'slash in equal amounts.

Thomas
2006-12-29, 05:09 PM
Everything.

Wow, that was easy.

bosssmiley
2006-12-30, 12:06 AM
Run: swashbuckling pulp action-adventure games (whatever they start out as, my games always end up as "Indiana Jones & Dragons" :smallredface: )
Play in: All sorts, but currently a role-play heavy Cthulhu-lite-ish fantasy horror game. Teach me not to lend out my copy of "Lords of Madness"...

krossbow
2006-12-30, 12:12 AM
I love the "Bunch of greedy B******s get stuck in an ancient city/castle/fortress sealed away for good reasons, and are unfortunately unable to escape WITHOUT saving the world. (Lots of killing of innocents who are begging to be saved while pillaging ancient weapons of the gods ensues, and the inevitable "Damn it, I don't care if you want to destroy the world, I just want out and your in my way!" line)

This is mainly because me and my friends are all chaotic neutral. Heh, we, as one of our DM's once said, "ARE THE WORST HEROES EVER!"
________
Thc finder (http://dispensaries.org/)

Necomancer
2006-12-30, 12:35 AM
I call my games social. They're online, so it feels less silly to have everyone talk to each other. Generaly my games are a bit too social really, I have yet to achive the three battle per session rule. I've tried but combat is much slowler online for my group.

Diggorian
2006-12-30, 01:26 AM
All of my games are role-play heavy, but I try to be a rules stickler to keep things challenging. I do like to put in combat if the plot allows for it, but all fighting is a result or foreshadows a large issue in the game. Encounters are never random, they just seem that way from being small pieces of a big puzzle.

A hardcore powergamer.hack-n-slash player of mine calls it "Sherlock Holmes-S**T".

TheOOB
2006-12-30, 01:35 AM
I tend to run dungeon crawls mainly, but not neccesarly kick-in-the-door style.

I tend to like to play in games with lots of role play, but also containing a good amount of combat as well.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-12-30, 11:03 PM
Silly.

That's right. Silly. I have broken the almighty "illusion of disbelief" all us nerds worship. And my players have yet to care.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-30, 11:09 PM
I play DnD as high fantasy, roleplay and hack'n'slash in equal amounts.
Seconded. Equalilty is best.

Ravyn
2007-01-03, 07:22 PM
Mine tend to be interaction-heavy, wildly epic, and prone to bouts of humor on a regular basis. We're pretty good on the rules, but every now and then someone'll forget something important.

...and collateral damage seems to be the watchword, whether I'm running or playing. Not sure if it's me, or if I just tend to find groups that are dangerous to their surroundings.

geez3r
2007-01-03, 08:13 PM
I usually play games with a heavier hack and slash tilt RL, purely because all the gamers nearby are new to the game, so they aren't that good of role-players yet, and honestly, I sometimes have trouble coming up with something (appropriate) to say right on the spot, I usually need a minute to organize my thoughts.

Journey
2007-01-03, 08:51 PM
I prefer role-playing game-styles over roll-playing, hack-n-slash or the others, really. I also prefer fantasy rather than sci-fi, and I lean toward modest to low-magic, but can deal with a high-magic/high-heroism game if done properly.

Hannes
2007-01-03, 08:56 PM
I'd like to set a foot in a horror campaign, but nothing can ever creep me out vocally... I play in mostly heavy RP/hack&slash games, because I can't set foot in any other...

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-03, 09:08 PM
Usually high fantasy cooperative storytelling. But my true passion is for what I call "kitchen sink" games. That's where the game world, style, and gameplay are made up of a wide variety of genres that are all about equally present. For instance, high fantasy meshed with hard science fiction, a fluid plot, and deep (and original!) gameplay mechanics. Add in a smidgen of horror, romance (works coolest if substituted for noir), plenty of chances to roleplay, and a satisfying amount of character customization, and I will be happy forever.

I mean to run a campaign like this after my present one runs it's course. In the mean time, I'm about to have a time traveller using D20 Future mechanics arrive into my D&D campaign with ill omens and awesome tech.

Hallavast
2007-01-04, 03:54 AM
Well, I tend to play a high fantasy hybrid of HacknSlash + Deep immersion RP. When the party is in town or in a position to talk with intelligent people, we roleplay a lot. Sometimes we make props and on rare occasions we dess to match our characters. All too often, however, the party is in some kind of dungeon crawl or wilderness battle, so to save time we stick to roll playing with the occasional trade of insults to this devil or that dragon, and so on.