PDA

View Full Version : Always outgunned never outnumbered!

Ranting Fool
2013-09-30, 05:39 PM
I need a little help fleshing out a Goblin fertility Goddess :smallbiggrin: since I dislike how most non-humans tend to have just the one God or Goddess.

I want to make a TN / NE Goblin Goddess whose followers believe the true power of the Goblin people is in their vast and ever growing numbers.

Maglubiyet is the only Goblin God I know off and he is NE with Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Trickery Domains.

What domains would be good to have? Any suggestions on fluff would be welcome :smallbiggrin:

ArcturusV
2013-09-30, 05:47 PM
Pleasure Domain is an obvious choice. As is Community. Beyond that it'll probably be a fluff based choice to decide what domains it might have. Using Fertility as a means of expansion might lead to the Travel Domain (Go forth and multiply! And exponential. And cube. But do not long divide!). Luck could also make sense, bending the probabilities of conception, clean healthy births, etc. Similarly Healing, also perfectly in line. War and Strength domains for the idea of fierce den mothers who both give life and protect it?

It's just one of those things where I typically think of Fluff first, which tells me the domains I should assign.

Zaydos
2013-09-30, 06:32 PM
2e had like 4 or 5 goblinoid deities, but I forget what they were.

As for domains: Community, Family, Lust are all natural. Depending upon their nature possibly Protection as well. If she's NE Evil is a natural option also, and I'd be tempted to give her Healing regardless of alignment.

Also let me check I have some homebrew domains somewhere on my computer that might be useful (Army and I think I made a Goblin domain)

The domains if you care
Goblin Domain:
Granted Power: Add Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, and Ride to your cleric class skill list.
Spells:
1st: Bless
2nd: Invisibility
3rd: Prayer
4th: Jaws of the Wolf
5th: Greater Command
6th: Blade Barrier
7th: Veil
8th: Lion’s Roar
9th: Imprisonment

The spells in this domain were chosen to represent goblins and hobgoblins, neglecting bug bears and some less known goblins from various campaign settings. Bless, Prayer and Lion’s Roar were each chosen because they aid allies and both of the main two breeds rely on group tactics (especially the hobgoblins which are masters of it). Invisibility and Veil were chosen to represent their penchant for trickery and stealth (note all three core goblinoids get a racial bonus on Move Silently and except for goblins on Hide as well). Blade Barrier was chosen because it creates a wall of swords, giving an offensive use as well as a strategic use in separating various groups of opponents, with Lion’s Roar being a second attack spell this one dealing damage to enemies and empowering allies. Jaws of the Wolf is included because it creates worgs, the traditional allies of goblins. There slave driving nature is represented in Greater Command and Imprisonment shows not only their harsh nature but their connection to the earth allowing them to make it a prison for their foes.

Army Domain:
Granted Power: 1/day as a standard action you may create a Blessed Warding, you and all allied creatures within 20-ft of you gain a +1 sacred bonus (if your deity is good/neutral) or profane bonus to saving throws per 5 levels of cleric (minimum +1, max +4) this effect lasts 1 minute per cleric level.

Spells:
1st: Bless
2nd: Mass Snake’s Swiftness
3rd: Prayer
4th: Mass Shield of Faith
5th: Mass Fire Shield
6th: Blade Barrier
7th: Fire Storm
8th: Mass Charm Monster
9th: Mass Heal

Note on Domain Design: The army domain was made to have spells that empowered allies as its focus with a few area effect attack spells. These spells needed to be able to effect large numbers of allies and have some direct combat enhancing power. Bless adds to attack rolls of your allies, prayer is a better version with the secondary plus of weakening enemies. Mass Snake’s Swiftness can allow all your near-by enemies an extra attack that round during your initiative. Mass Shield of Faith raises all your allies’ AC, and Mass Fire Shield is both protective and destructive in melee. Blade Barrier is a damaging wall that can be used to separate enemies and has battle-field control, while Fire Storm is a shapeable attack spell giving the domain its requisite directly offensive spell and making it one that has no chance to hurt allies. Mass Heal heals all your allies making it a fairly given, and any deity that would have this domain understands the need for armies. Mass Charm Monster can give you a small army of what were once your foes, and also I couldn’t find anything better that was 8th level.

Dlkpi
2013-09-30, 07:39 PM
I would go Life, Healing, Family, Community, Goblin. (Maybe swap Lust for Healing.) Though with that lineup, she's probably TN and not NE.

Ranting Fool
2013-10-02, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys :smallsmile:

I quite like that Army domain.

Jergmo
2013-10-03, 07:59 AM
I'll give an example for a chief goblinoid deity:
Grutte: Goblinoid Goddess of Fertility and Protection (Goblinoid is very guttural. I'm warping the heck out of two German words, Große and Mutter for "Great Mother".)
Greater Deity
Alignment: TN
Domains: Animal, Earth, Community, Healing, Protection

"We goblins must not cower in holes and live on the scraps of tall-folk. The earth is strong and we grow strong in its womb. We run with the wolf [worgs] and learn its ways. A goblin as one is small and weak, but goblins as one are strong. Hail to the Great Mother, who cradles us in her embrace! Hail to the Great Mother, who makes her goblins strong!"