PDA

View Full Version : More Spell Templates?

unseenmage
2013-09-30, 08:41 PM
Are there any other templates that alter spells besides War Spells from Dragon 309 page 47 and Living Spells from MM3 page 91?

Not counting Metamagic feats or quasi Metamagic feats like Rashemi Elemental Summoning of course.

Edit: I found Artifact Spells in Secrets of Xen'drik but they're far removed from a template.

Mcdt2
2013-10-01, 12:20 AM
Well, Dragon 311 has a few, on page 43. The article calls them spell templates at least, although you need to learn them via "Ceremonial feats", which makes it feel a lot more like a metamagic feat. Actually, it's very similar to Black Lore of Moil, so...

Yeah. I don't know why those weren't just written up as metamagic feats in the first place.

unseenmage
2013-10-01, 12:37 AM
Well, Dragon 311 has a few, on page 43. The article calls them spell templates at least, although you need to learn them via "Ceremonial feats", which makes it feel a lot more like a metamagic feat. Actually, it's very similar to Black Lore of Moil, so...

Yeah. I don't know why those weren't just written up as metamagic feats in the first place.

Yeah they look like +0 Spell Level increase Metamagic Feats to me. Seem like they're worth about that too. Not really sure they're worth a feat even. Though I havn't read over them comprehensively. Thanks for pointing them out.

JoshuaZ
2013-10-01, 12:47 AM
Yeah they look like +0 Spell Level increase Metamagic Feats to me. Seem like they're worth about that too. Not really sure they're worth a feat even. Though I havn't read over them comprehensively. Thanks for pointing them out.

Potential way they could be useful although I haven't thought the details through. Ultimate Magus can only use its Augmented Casting on spells not already effected by metamagic. Since these aren't treated as metamagic, one might be able to do some clever stacking.

gr8artist
2013-10-01, 07:58 PM
On the subject of Living Spells... How would you implement this in a dungeon? How would you establish the value/CR of a trap which affected every spell cast within its area in this way? If I wanted to make this a metamagic feat, what would its adjustment be?
I'm so glad that this is a thing.

unseenmage
2013-10-01, 08:10 PM
On the subject of Living Spells... How would you implement this in a dungeon? How would you establish the value/CR of a trap which affected every spell cast within its area in this way? If I wanted to make this a metamagic feat, what would its adjustment be?
I'm so glad that this is a thing.

Not sure what exactly you're asking here. Living Spells are a spell turned into a creature.
I don't think Metamagic comes into the equation by RAW but there's little to no reason why the DM couldn't apply Metamagic, or even special class abilities, to a spell before giving it the Living Spell treatment. With an appropriate CR increase where needed of course. Metamagics adjust Spell Level and a lot of the template's listed variables are based off of Spell Level so it should be fairly easy.

A trap that turned every spell in it's area into a Living Spell... whew, that's a doozie. I suppose a Repeating Trap of Summon Monster would do it.
You could crib the mechanics from the spell Energy Transformation Field (MoF) which is built specifically to absorb spells cast in it and output whatever spell it's set to.

Hope that helps.

gr8artist
2013-10-01, 08:24 PM
I know the DM can throw these living spells at us as often as he wants. But I want to summon one. How would a wizard go about conjuring a Living Fireball? I'm looking for suggestions, not RAW.

Also, Energy Transformation Field seems that it would work quite well for the trapped room, but I still need to know how to convert the raw spell into a living spell.

unseenmage
2013-10-01, 08:52 PM
I know the DM can throw these living spells at us as often as he wants. But I want to summon one. How would a wizard go about conjuring a Living Fireball? I'm looking for suggestions, not RAW.

Also, Energy Transformation Field seems that it would work quite well for the trapped room, but I still need to know how to convert the raw spell into a living spell.

As I suggested the Summon Monster (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm&sa=U&ei=Y3xLUrHJLYSGyAHKlYCADw&ved=0CAcQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNH6PEVmB7kwFaKILnfmifTfj8e4-A) line of spells are what you're likely after. Just choose an appropriate Summon Monster version for the CR of the Living Spell you're after.

Unless you want real actual creature in which case there are spells that Call creatures rather than Summon them but I do not remember their name at the moment.

gr8artist
2013-10-01, 09:32 PM
I suppose using a variable summon monster mechanic might work. You cast a first level spell? The living version of that spell is considered a Summon Monster I creature. You cast fireball? Living fireball is considered a Summon Monster III creature.
I just need to do some checking to make sure that the living spells are roughly equal in strength to the creatures you could summon with SM spells.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-01, 10:08 PM
I suppose using a variable summon monster mechanic might work. You cast a first level spell? The living version of that spell is considered a Summon Monster I creature. You cast fireball? Living fireball is considered a Summon Monster III creature.
I just need to do some checking to make sure that the living spells are roughly equal in strength to the creatures you could summon with SM spells.

At extremely low levels? I'd give the edge to the Living spells, even if only for their DR 10/magic.

unseenmage
2013-10-01, 10:25 PM
At extremely low levels? I'd give the edge to the Living spells, even if only for their DR 10/magic.

Perhaps use Living Spells of 1/2 the CR they're supposed to be up until the DR10/magic catches up to where it should be on the Summon Monster chart?