PDA

View Full Version : Strike The Earth!

tortor
2013-09-30, 10:36 PM
After a long trip through the wilderness your troop crests a hill that overlooks a valley of Kangaroos, which, as if on some instinct immediately scatter upon seeing your party, the entrance to the long lost fortress of Spearlocked should be around here somewhere, as you push thru the dense reeds and wild grass you see your first hint that you are near the place, a massive pile of broken and shattered crossbow bolts at the edge of a large pool of stagnant water, through the murk you see the partial skeletons of several long dead creatures (nature 20)

The water itself is a deep brown, and it takes awhile to realize the water is literally discolored with blood.. What the hell happened here...

russdm
2013-09-30, 10:44 PM
Maximus surveyed the glorious scene, then grabbed his flask. "Its only a model." He muttered before drinking drunk. "Well, lads, it looks like we found it, depressing."

(In-Character Journal entires I will be doing)

Duck Death Expedition Journal:
We have arrived after what seemed to be a long journey following the outdated maps provided by King Jabba. Perhaps Jabba forgot to get it finished, nevermind.

During our journey, I have come to some disquieting thoughts. My companions are usually drunk and they often praise my fried rat stew. It certainly is not the best, but one must do what one can with what little one has. I have been making more of my "Rat Ale". Its quite the hit with the others.

A very much stranger thing is how much mushrooms we keep seeing. Harvesting them and serving them up as a drink provided for endless hours of fun. Roast mushroom ale, another possibility for me to explore.

A last concern: I have been watching the chickens very carefully lately this days. I think they are begining to organize and are preparing to annouce their new status as communists. I hate communists. I think the big chicken is secretly plotting agaisnt me. Whenever i pull on the string, it is always the quickest to show up. It is clear the poultry pose a threat. I must continue my survillance.

We have found what appears to be a swamp. Supposedly it leads to the ruined fortress. I am hoping to find some more mushrooms. Our party seems to work better after consuming mushrooms.

Need to acquire a rat and make it a miniture pack saddle so I can have a pack rat. It would make an interesting experiment. I hope to acquire a plot of land and build an inn. I shall name it, the Drunken Dwarf, and sell ale and mushrooms.

Elrihm
2013-10-01, 10:12 AM
Durenor will crest the hill with his faithful hound, Lockjaw. He hoists his pack higher on his back, jingling the assorted tools hanging there. He seems to be oblivious to the death and decay around him, as his eyes are locked on the ground in front of him.

"I can't wait to get underground again, I tell you what. It ain't natural to be above ground this long. All that sky...", he says as he casts an eye upward, and shivers.

ManifestPR
2013-10-01, 12:12 PM
Wharar hauls his Mule along behind him and curses "C'mon you dam half-breed ass. You're more trouble than what you're worth, dam animal." He reaches Durenor and looks at his surroundings wondering what Kangaroo meat tastes like. He opens his waterskin and takes a deep gulp of the latest ale Maximus had brewed letting some slip into his beard and garments for good luck and then grunts with deep appreciation.

Wharar grasps Durenor's shoulder and states "I also yearn for the smell of fresh dirt and rocks upon my beard Brother but I must say" Wharar points at the pool of blood "that must not be a good omen."

russdm
2013-10-01, 05:45 PM
"It is clear that some kind of fight took place. Hopefully, whoever it was left something behind that we might use. Did anyone remember the map?" Maximus asked, studying the pool. "We should keep watch for dangers, such as elves or goblins or gnomes." He said, drawing out his Morningstar and having it ready, just in case of gnomes, elves, or goblins.

We have not encountered any wildlife on our journey so far. Perhaps in a few days, we will meet the elves who are supposed to leave in places such as these. "Walk through a forest, stab an elf", as the old dwarf saying goes. Soon, perhaps, we may encounter goblins. Goblins smell, but, praise Moradin, they don't smell as bad as elves. Even worse, Elves won't drink beer or ale!!!

For that, they shall all be cleansed in flame.

I am having suspicions that we are being followed by gnomes. These easily entertained degenerates also show up to spread their gifts of jokes. I would prefer kobolds, as kobolds only trying to kill us, not tell us crappy elf light-bulb jokes. The gnomes seriously need new material.

The fortress of Spearlocked. Such a forlorn place, yet I can't remember anything about it other than it had elderberries. Or was it blackberries? Hmm, now that I think about it, I believe that the fortress was lost when the dwarves discovered they had drilled into a lava river or was it a magma river? I think it was a magma river after all. Hopefully we can fix that and actually find the city. I wonder if anyone in our party remembered to bring the map along with us showing where the city was supposed to be "According to Legend".

Oh, look, blood in a pond. Let the danger dwarf check it out.

"Let us have our guardian check out that pool. To see if anything is in there, and lets burn any bodies we find so they don't turn into elves." He suggested to his companions.

Grytorm
2013-10-01, 07:03 PM
Aargh readies his crossbow and considering the pool."You got it all wrong. The Elves come about just like us. You burn the bodies so they blighters don't eat them. Elves love the taste. It's still a good idea though." Taking a step forward he scans the woods looking for any sort of overgrown path.

Spot [roll0]
Survival [roll1]

tortor
2013-10-01, 11:02 PM
After a few hours of searching AArgh finds a densely overgrown path that he very well may gave missed in the setting sun if not for the partial goblin skeleton seemingly marking it, the path however seems part of a network of long abandoned trails, perhaps hunting or fishing trails, broken bones litter the ground in small piles here and there, showing signs of sharpening and wear, perhaps a primitive form of crossbow ammunition? After a few more hours of searching the trails seem to all loop back on themselves.

russdm
2013-10-02, 02:46 PM
Maximus goes to study the bones and figure out if there is anything there that might be of value.

Search (Taking 20):22
Appraise: [roll0]

After examining the bones and searching, Maximus tries to figure out what kinds of bones they are and where the party is.

Knowledge Nature: [roll1]
Knowledge Geography: [roll2]
Survival: [roll3]

Maximus tries to recall information about the history of Spearlocked, mainly about what happened to it.

Knowledge History: [roll4]

Then, Maximus will examine the goblin skeleton to determine how it died. Heal: [roll5]

Elrihm
2013-10-02, 10:25 PM
Durenor will remove his sling, and ready a stone. His dog, Lockjaw, will sniff the puddles of blood and growl at bones.

"This don't look good, lads. Whatever left all this could still be in the stronghold. The way I sees it, we can go there now and fight it out, or set up a base to scout out a bit."

tortor
2013-10-02, 11:41 PM
Searching the bones Maximus finds a snall steel amulet, inlaif with a well crafted image of spears in some type of bone or ivory amongst the bones, turbin it over he begins to recall that the fortress got its name from the spear traps and hidden spike pits that littered the area near the entrace, looking up to find and inform his fellow dwarves he finds that they havent wadered very far, and most are still investifating the swampy hills nearby, looking down Maximus sees a large hoof and reasons that these bones may belong to some cow or other, or did he hear something about a minotaur attacking te fort in its earlier years..

russdm
2013-10-03, 12:03 AM
Maximus holds onto the amulet, putting it in his belt pouch since it may prove useful. He informs the others. "We need to find some spike pit traps. According to the writings of the sage Short Beard, the entrance to the fortress lies near them. The entrance should be within the area in general. Also, the bones appears to be cow bones." He says. He will show the amulet to the others.

Apparently the dwarves of Spearlocked don't like visitors. Why else stick all sorts of traps near the entrance? No, they couldn't be helped to have a door that only opened when you said something in elven. Not much of an entrance then.

Spearlocked was notorious for traps, hmm, seems like they were related to Kobolds. And then they got attacked by cows! How embarrassing. Cows are for eating not fighting. Still, spears and spiked pits? What kind of welcome is that?

There are swampy hills nearby which usually means trolls or lizardfolk or black dragons. The swamps will definitely have some kind of nasty in them. Still wondering what the deal with the piles of bones are.

The amulet I found clearly relates in some way to the fortress, but alas there is no way of figuring out how it got here from there. We need some kind of tracker and we are fresh out. It would be nice if we had one, but one can simply pray.

Oh, and I am making roast chicken tonight. Those chickens need to learn their place in this hierarchy.

ManifestPR
2013-10-03, 09:59 AM
Wharar listens to Maximus' findings and sets out to make himself useful. He riffles through his backpack for his tools and some rope. He then unloads the rest of his gear unto his mule. Wharar had spent most of his life building traps of all different kinds. His father was a Trap maker and so was his father and so on and so on. So naturally trap making was in his blood. His most favorite traps where the ones that involved the use of some sort of poison but he was never good with alchemical work so naturally mechanical traps became his forte. He often worked hard and meticulously and took pride in his creations.

Of course along with his tutorship on how to make traps he was taught how to detect traps and how to reverse engineer anything he came across. Wharar laid on the ground and looked across the terrain trying to see if he could notice anything odd and then set out to work.

Trapmaking
[roll0]

tortor
2013-10-03, 04:19 PM
Wharar scans the landscape nearby and after a few hours of looking through the swamps and a brief minute of running from an angry badger Wharar determines that this ground is far to soggy for any effective trap, but sees a rocky looking canyon to the north and concludes that the party would be better served looking in that area.

ManifestPR
2013-10-03, 04:36 PM
Wharar shakes his fist at the angry badger, from a very safe distance mind you, and screams "I'm not scared of you, you scrawny rodent." He turns to the rest of the party and speaks "Well fellow brothers I can guarantee you this area is as clean as a baby dwarf's chin. Now I am no expert but I think that rocky canyon over yonder would be a perfect place to look." Wharar picks up his gear and hauls his mule in that direction. He squints his eyes and looks at the rocky canyon trying to see if anything looks interesting or out of the ordinary.

Spot

[roll0]

Grytorm
2013-10-03, 06:45 PM
Aargh continues to examine the local, trying to not stray to far from the group. He follows the trails shortly before turning back, trying to look for any game animals, signs of predators, and potable water.

Survival [roll0]

russdm
2013-10-03, 08:42 PM
Maximus heads off towards the rocky canyon. Once it gets dark, he start making a fire and cook chicken for dinner.

Making camp: Survival [roll0]

Cooking dinner: Profession Cook [roll1]

He will share out some ale.

Elrihm
2013-10-03, 08:53 PM
Durenor will spend some time digging trenches around the camp, and then building low walls encircling the camp from the dirt..

Profession (Miner)
roll: [roll0]

Craft (Masonry)
roll: [roll1]

tortor
2013-10-04, 03:16 PM
Wharar scans the canyons rocky slopes and sees a few shining flashes, but nothing he can recognize from this distance with so much light.. meanwhile Aargh examines a few of the carcasses nearby and the partially decomposed skeletons before deciding that the swamps bog water is certainly potable (nat1) and informs maximus that boiling it should remove any lingering dangers, maximus breaks out some wood and begins trying to build a camp fire and set camp up on the muddy shore of the murky pool, noting with a humourous delight that Durenor has begun digging into the slushy swamp ground and piling the dirt into rough piles of dirt here and there about the camp.

Elrihm
2013-10-04, 03:26 PM
Durenor will continue digging, it'll be slow going in the bog, but that's fine. He just likes being in the dirt again. Hopefully if they get attacked in the night, the trenchs and low walls will provide some cover.

Profession (Miner)
[roll0]

Craft (Masonry)
[roll1]

TheMightyQuinn
2013-10-05, 01:04 AM
Iohel

*Bogs. Swamps. Much and mire, filthy and wet. It was no place for a proper dwarf, and trekking through the mess was enough to put Iohel in a sour mood, but as the others started talking and setting up camp, Iohel decided he'd need some space - lest his temper get the better of him. Besides. He was rarely with the others for long, scouting out and ahead and back again as they moved. It wasn't a pleasant job, but had to be done.*

*Heading out quietly, Iohel keeps his crossbow at the ready, hating the damp and muck, but the wound metal string would hold up to the rigors of the weather for a long time before losing tension, so better to be ready. There was bound to be enough supplies out here. One thing swamps didn't lack was life.*

OOC:

Rolls for fun.

Hide -
[roll0]

Move Silently -
[roll1]

Survival -
[roll2]

Edit: wow. start off with a bang. That should be good enough for him to disappear like a fart in the wind and get some grub. lol

tortor
2013-10-05, 03:18 PM
As the fire crackles and dwarves decide to start bunking down for the night, each complaining to the other about having to sleep in a wet swamp, Iohel decides to quietly slip out of the ring of warmth provided by the camp fire and do a bit of exploration through the night, trodding about silently Iohel goes off to investigate the slopes of the nearby ravine, picking his way through the easier paths, his dwarven feet finding even the tiniest holds as he darts about, hoping for some unwary quarry, as he nears the base of the ravine he sees a small opening, a cave maybe, and the low flickering light of a campfire from within, as he approaches carefully he hears voices, cackling birdlike voices. Coming up to the edge of the cave and peeking in, Iohel sees a group of kobolds, 6 in total, sitting around their own little fire, and gibbering to one another. Its hard to tell, because kobold emotions are very basic at best, but it seems the group is irritated with one another, shoving and scuffles keep breaking out, and the lizard creatures hiss angrily at one another. Then Iohel hears it, one word that he recognizes... Dwarf.

Back at camp Durenor continues his digging, even as the sky grows dark, a low burm (5 feet of difficult terrain which provides cover) and a small moat of sorts encircles the camp, as Durenor admires his work however, the feeling of accomplishment os tainted slightly, he simply cant shake the feeling that he is being watched...

TheMightyQuinn
2013-10-06, 03:51 AM
Iohel

*After listening to the kobolds for a moment, Iohel considers his options and sets upon a plan of action, but he'd need something first. Heading back to camp, he whistles softly to catch the others attention and speaks softly*
"Oi - we've got a bit of a problem folks. We're not alone. Dark is setting, and there's a camp of kobolds not far from us, and they know we're here. Any of you have a flask of oil? I've got an idea."

*Taking a stick, he draws a rough sketch of the ravine in the dirt and marks where the cave is..*
"We can get on the edge of the ravine - we'll just take it nice and slow, so they don't hear, and you can cover the cave with crossbows. I'll head down and throw the flask in - I think they're all close enough to catch the oil in their fire and set the lot of 'em ablaze."

ManifestPR
2013-10-06, 10:06 AM
Wharar listened to Iohel with earnest and eager attention. He was excited to go after a group of Kobolds, he was actually excited to do anything. Everyone else in the camp had found their niche but he just stuck out like a sore thumb. He had started drafting ideas for traps to protect the camp but nothing came to mind.

Wharar was a Warrior at heart and Iohel's plan seemed solid. "I'm in you can count on my crossbow however I didn't bring any oil. I could rig up some pit traps by their escape route and catch any that the fire does not take care off."

TheMightyQuinn
2013-10-06, 01:30 PM
Iohel

"I don't know about pit traps - they're all awake and gathered around their fire. It might be pretty hard to dig a big enough hole to work without them noticing. I've got twine though, and if you're careful enough, a couple of snare traps in the dark could help though. If my aim is true, I should be able to get the majority of them, and the rest with either run for it or try to make a stand behind cover. One way or another, we can take them. "

*Giving his beard a tug, he scowls and growls low in his throat.*
"Worst case scenario, there's tunnels leading to the cave, and they make a hasty retreat. If we have two men down below with crossbows, we can give chase if that's the case, and take them before they alert their kin. Unless anyone else has any ideas? I'm open to suggestions here."

Elrihm
2013-10-06, 03:43 PM
Durenor will come back, filthy with mud, and speak into his hand, quietly.

"I think the scum have found us. My beard's been curling all afternoon, and it never lies."

He then motions to Lockjaw who comes over, and sets at heel.

russdm
2013-10-06, 05:22 PM
Maximus nods in approval. "I will get my Morningstar and other weapons. Hopefully the kobolds will have some kind of map or something I can use for making more ale." He whispers.

Maximus will retrieve his Morningstar. He has his Morningstar, his sling with bullets and his 5 daggers. Plus his waterskin, 2 sacks, and a sunrod. He will hold his Morningstar at the ready and follow the others into the attack.

Hide[roll0]
Move Silently[roll1]

Grytorm
2013-10-06, 10:57 PM
"Even if they hadn't seen us it would be worth it to kill them. Kobolds always show up first after a battle. Dumb as they are they still get the best salvage. We might be able to recover something from the fortress." Aargh says while reading his crossbow.

tortor
2013-10-07, 02:37 AM
The dwarves begin to ready themselves and Iohel leads the quietly toward the cave (I will roll oodles of hide and move quiet checks in the ooc for this, and will let Iohel decide where the group stops before its attack) as you near the cave however, it appears from a distance to be deserted and empty

TheMightyQuinn
2013-10-07, 03:54 AM
Iohel

*As the group sets out, he can't help but cringe at the level of noise they make, but he gets so caught up trying to help the others that he makes nearly as much ruckus himself.*

*By the time they reach the edge of the ravine, there's little doubt in his mind that they'd lost the element of surprise, but there was no way he'd have been able to take a half dozen slithering worms like that himself.*

*After a moment of deliberating, he steps close to the group, his voice barely more than a whisper.*
"We can't stay out in the open like this - it's too easy to be ambushed. I'm going to slip off an see if I can catch sight of them. Give me to the count of 100 - if I haven't come back, head to the cave. It'll be better for defense."

*With a small motion for the group to hold tight and keep their eyes out as he steps off into the deep darkness around them, hoping to catch the kobolds - or at least figure out where they're at.*

OOC:

Hide -
[roll0]

Move Silently -
[roll1]

Listen -
[roll2]

Search -
[roll3]

Spot -
[roll4]

Survival - maybe see tracks?
[roll5]

ManifestPR
2013-10-07, 10:42 AM
Wharar loads his crossbow and looks around hoping to maybe catch a glimpse or a clue as to where the Kobolds could possibly be or to see if any other danger is waiting for them out here.

Listen

[roll0]

Search

[roll1]

Spot

[roll2]

Elrihm
2013-10-07, 10:57 AM
Durenor will load his sling, and huddle down. He wasn't too keen on combat, but a dwarf has to do what a dwarf has to do. He'll ready an attack against any kobold he sees.

Spot
[roll0]
Listen
[roll1]
Hide
[roll2]
Readied attack
[roll3]
Critical Confirm
[roll4]
Damage
[roll5]
[

russdm
2013-10-07, 04:02 PM
Maximus knocks a decent sized boulder down the side of the ravine. He curses kobolds, his king, and all chickens.

tortor
2013-10-07, 04:24 PM
Iohel slinks off, the breathing of the dwarven party like thunder in his ears as he begins his search, his hope against hope that they might maintain the element of surprise shattering as he hears the rolling crack and boom of a boulder cascading down into the ravine. Straining his eyes against the dark he continues to scout the area nearby, but after a minute or two finds nothing and hears only the creaking of the disturbed rocks, once in awhile the wind would carry a birdlike warble or squeak to him, but nothing he could track.

After the 100 seconds the party proceeds toward the Cave and is surprised to find that it is less of a cave, and more of a giant hollowed space beneath the rock, perhaps 500 feet deep and much wider than the small entrance gives the impression of, and after a brief glance it is obvious that the rough stone cave extends 300 feet in either direction along the Ravine wall.

Just inside the entrance, a small still smoldering fire sits along with a few have eaten foodstuffs and a small pile of refuse. As the party fans out Wharars attuned keen ears pick up the distinct warble of a kobold behind him and spins around to see a singular creature slinking toward Maximus, a large copper dagger gripped in its hand as it hisses silently to itself. As Durenor calls out to Maximus the remaining kobolds rush the cave entrance, a quick glance shows that they're wearing thick leather garments and wielding menacing daggers.

There are 7 kobold, all of whom have leather armor and the leader having a +1 leather armor set, makin AC for them 14/15 The leader, the only one within combat range at the end of its turn will attempt to stab Maximus the rest will attempt to gang up on single dwarves, and the whole party will flee if they feel they are losing

tortor
2013-10-07, 04:37 PM
[roll0] [roll1]
With a hiss and a lunge the kobold stabs Maximus in the thigh, tearing apart the muscle, Maximus leg begins to bleed and the dwarf growls in anger and pain as a pellet from Durenors sling cracks into the wall behind the leader.

russdm
2013-10-07, 05:51 PM
Maximus howls, cursing the kobold, and then the dwarf king that sent him on this expedition, then he will attack the kobold with his Morningstar.

Initiative (If this has already been rolled by you, then ignore): [roll0]

Attack against Kobold: [roll1]
Damage if managing to hit: [roll2]

Elrihm
2013-10-07, 07:33 PM
Durenor will curse, and load another pellet into hit sling. He'll try to hit any kobold that gets near.

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

tortor
2013-10-07, 08:06 PM
Bellowing his rage Maximus swings abour catching the kobolds leader in the ribcage, fracturing several ribs and bruising rhe kobolds lung, the remaining kobolds freeze at the sickening crunch of their leaders injury, as Durenor curses loudly, an hurls another pellet into the crowd, watxhing as it skitters across the cave floor uselessly.

russdm
2013-10-07, 08:41 PM
If his attacker is not down or not defeated: Maximus will attack again using his morningstar.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage on Hit: [roll1]

If his attacker is down or defeated: Maximus will load his sling and fling a sling bullet at another kobold within 50ft.

Attack: [roll2]
Damage on Hit: [roll3]

ManifestPR
2013-10-07, 10:20 PM
Wharar aims his crossbow and targets the nearest Kobold that presents a threat to his well-being. He lets the bolt fly through the air hoping it hits home.

Attack

[roll0]

Damage

[roll1]

Grytorm
2013-10-08, 10:00 AM
Aargh takes aim at the closest unengaged Kobold. Firing it with little flourish. Then he reloads for the next turn.

[roll0]
[roll1]

tortor
2013-10-08, 11:55 AM
The kobold leaderlashes out at Maximus, as it crumples to the ground, its companions abandoning their ambush and scurrying off across the ravine even as rocks and pellets fall about them, Wharar managing to send another one to Armok with a well placed bolt through the back, tearing the spine and severing major sensory and motor nerves as the kobold collapses spasming to the gorund, its companions literally pushing each other pver the ravine to escape

Edit:The kobold was going to attack again, then I remembered he has like 6 hp... hence the angry forum being angry at me~

ManifestPR
2013-10-08, 12:11 PM
Wharar looks to the party and acknowledges I was actually worried there for a second. Hahaha. Wharar approaches the Kobold he shot down making sure it was truly dead. He then searches the Kobold corpse hoping to find anything of use. He then checks his used crossbow bolt checking to see if it could be reused again.

Search
[roll0]

Afterwards he approaches Maximus and asks "How are ya? That leg wound sure is bleeding. Do you think you can walk, brother?"

Elrihm
2013-10-08, 01:55 PM
Durenor will sigh in relief as the kobolds disappear into the ravine. It looked pretty grim there for a minute.

He'll go up to the kobolds, and search the body for weapons that might be better than his sling. He wanted nothing more than to simply dig a hole, and sleep, but it seemed that was not an option.

He'll also take some time, and pull off the armor the kobolds were wearing. It's too small for the dwarves, but a trader might pay good gold for it.

russdm
2013-10-08, 02:01 PM
Maximus nodded. "I believe I can walk. It would be nice to have it fixed up though." He says.

Heal(to Confirm): [roll0]

tortor
2013-10-09, 05:42 PM
Wharar searches te kobolds corpse, recovering his bolt and a large copper dagger from the dead creature. Maximus checks his ability to walk and nearly tumbles to the ground before realizing that his leg can barely support his weight, he will need a crutch if he is to keep walking until the wound heals.

As Durenor searches the corpses he recovers several small sets of leather armor, most of it questionable in craftsmanship and material, as he removes the Leaders armor however a scrap of paper falls out.

A Map! It shows the area, an details that there are several similar caves built into the wall of this ravine at varying heights, and THERE! What looks like the label for a door or an entrance! Its built into the wall of the ravine at the end of a box canyon. This map is far to detailed for Kobolds.. So who wrote it?

Elrihm
2013-10-10, 08:38 PM
"Oy! Take a look at this.", Durenor calls to his brothers, "Looks like a damned map!"

russdm
2013-10-10, 11:56 PM
"Lets investigate the entrance when its light. No point in going in the dark." Maximus advises.

tortor
2013-10-12, 06:02 AM
OOC
Just so you know, I am not super big on doing the, and bow you have all gone to bed bit. If you have decided to sleep, just let me know where, (Cave or your Camp?) and if anyone is holding guard duty etc

Other than the fact that our party of 8 reduced to a mere 3 (albeit a quite fantastic 3) Dwarves I am having a great time and am looking forward to what you all will come up with next!~ Your creative responses are making this game even more fun!~

ManifestPR
2013-10-12, 09:00 AM
Wharar straps the Copper Dagger to his belt and approaches Durenor to peek at his brand new map. He then speaks up I must agree with Maximus, despite my blood boiling for some more action, we must heed caution. We do not know the region but we do know there is at least one band of Kobolds out there still, Armok knows what else is out there He then approaches Maximus and asks him Would you like some help brother? At least until we get to camp and we can build a crutch.

Just wanted to let you know I'm still here kept meaning to post but life kept getting in the way.

russdm
2013-10-12, 10:52 PM
Maximus nods. "I would be grateful for your help, fellow dwarf." He says.

tortor
2013-10-13, 05:13 PM
Limping the short walk back to their camp in the dark the dwarves find their packs and pack animals just as they left them. The kobolds to cowardly to even pilfer the camp before running off.

tortor
2013-10-14, 06:19 PM
Maximus~ Where are those journal entries~
ARMOK DEMANDS POSTS!~

russdm
2013-10-14, 10:10 PM
(Just waiting to confirm that things were finished. If something is busy happening that could determine events, then why make an entry then? I have an entry to write though)

Maximus settled down to drink his beer, and finish penning the day's events. If the chance occurs that this small expedition goes missing, at least a partial record will exist.

Our scout discovered that there was a cave filled with kobolds. So, like a bunch of young dwarves trying to impress out of our league dwarven maids, we set out upon the kobolds to assert our dwarfhood. It went as bad as can be imagined. We were set upon by a horde of the shrieking monsters, each armed with curved swords and shields. The creatures outnumbered us three to one and howled for our blood. Their leader, a kobold of immense size, stood above them wielding his flaming sword and swore to bathe in our blood.

Boldly we went to the charge and managed to slay...just the leader. Our bold attack against overwhelming odds utterly failed and we proved ourselves incapable of truly holding our own, but our killing of the leader meant the others ran away. We have gloriously demonstrated our strength and let the kobolds fear. Boldly, we sang of our victory!!!

Alright, it was only 6 kobolds and we only managed to kill one of them and they were barely armed with daggers. Not a particularly impressive showing for us. I managed to kill the leader, which made the others flee, while the rest of our expedition apparently lacked as much battle experience as me and made a poor showing. Had the other kobolds any spine, we would have all perished. We are a pretty sad lot for dwarves.

We did gain some good spoils, but since the kobolds fled its likely they will be back and in larger numbers. I fear we have only prolonged the dark inevitable day the kobolds actually attack us with sufficient numbers to kill us which isn't much. We will need to train badly to be able to defend ourselves in case something happens.

I must have been imagining it, but I think that the chickens were silently mocking us for our sheer incompetence. We may have driven off the kobolds but that was solely luck not skill. Its not a good thing either. We can't rely on luck to win all our battles, skill is also important. Hopefully the next time we encounter something dangerous we are able to make a better showing of ourselves.

Elrihm
2013-10-15, 03:25 PM
Durenor will trudge back to camp with his loot, and throw it in a corner. After that, he'll draft a beer, and sit down. He will swill his ale, occasionally giving some to Lockjaw.