PDA

View Full Version : contingency question

Yogibear41
2013-10-01, 12:27 AM
Say I set a contingency on myself to teleport me to a safe spot should my hp fall under 10, and then say I am fighting say a monster with 3 or so natural attacks. The monster on his first claw or w/e takes me down to 8 hp. Does the contingency immediately trigger or does it get to finish its attack most likely killing me?

TuggyNE
2013-10-01, 02:04 AM
Say I set a contingency on myself to teleport me to a safe spot should my hp fall under 10, and then say I am fighting say a monster with 3 or so natural attacks. The monster on his first claw or w/e takes me down to 8 hp. Does the contingency immediately trigger or does it get to finish its attack most likely killing me?

After the first attack in a full attack, a creature usually* gets to choose whether it will continue the full attack, or stop and do something else with its move action. Targets can also be (re-)selected between attacks. From that it's clear that at least some attacks can be interrupted by the attacker, and there is therefore no reason not to assume all attacks can be interrupted by anyone with a readied action, contingency, or immediate action.

*Unless it was pouncing, in which case it's already charged and can't do anything but continue attacking, though in any case it can switch targets.

SolioFebalas
2013-10-01, 03:34 AM
From spell description:

In all cases, the contingency immediately brings into effect the companion spell, the latter being “cast” instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur.

So the companion spell would trigger as like Immediate action, even between attack sequency.

TuggyNE
2013-10-01, 04:36 AM
So the companion spell would trigger as Immediate action, even between attack sequency.

It's not exactly an immediate action (notably, it requires no action or mental effort or even awareness on your part), but otherwise yes, essentially.