PDA

View Full Version : Tomes

Max Caysey
2013-10-01, 06:16 AM
A quick qustion.

I have tried to find the calculation reason for the pricing of Tomes... But I cant. Can anyone tell why they are SO expencive and why creating one cost so many exp? It says that exp is always 1/25 of marked price... why not tomes?

:smallfrown:

Amphetryon
2013-10-01, 06:37 AM
A quick qustion.

I have tried to find the calculation reason for the pricing of Tomes... But I cant. Can anyone tell why they are SO expencive and why creating one cost so many exp? It says that exp is always 1/25 of marked price... why not tomes?

They provide a permanent bonus to stats and are slotless items. Both of these factors are very pricey in 3.5.

TuggyNE
2013-10-01, 06:59 AM
A quick qustion.

They're so expensive because they create a non-magical, non-dispellable, slotless, gearless* bonus that stacks with everything else, and they have such a steep XP cost because wish in ability score bonus mode does, and that's what they emulate.

*Inherent bonuses can't be stolen or lost or broken or given away or shut off or detected as most equipment can.

Story
2013-10-01, 08:45 AM
A quick qustion.

The reason is because a tome is duplicating Wish, which costs 5k xp. So requiring 1250gp + 5.1k xp to craft a tome comes from 1250gp/12.5 = 100xp base cost plus 5k for the Wish involved.

molten_dragon
2013-10-01, 09:08 AM
The reason they're so expensive (in both gold and xp) is because they're based on Wish, which costs 5,000 XP, which comes out to 25,000 GP using the 5 gold per XP rule.