PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Dread melee monster?

Da'Shain
2013-10-01, 11:29 AM
I'm crafting the BBEG's Dragon and what I hope will turn into the party's nemesis for an upcoming session. The Dread (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread) really seems tailor made for such a role, and much to my delight actually has a lot of melee powers so my original plan of a calculating melee monster seems to actually fit.

Basically, he's a ported-over Ulitharid from 3.5, only the plan is to give him Dread casting in place of his normal Psion casting, as well as a couple Terrors, the Aura of Fear and the Fear in Flesh archetype for channeling through natural weapons. (to make up for the reduced casting/spell list). His minions will distract the party while he goes after his objective, and if the party breaks through he'll try and hit them with crippling fear and/or trip and disarm them to keep them away. At this point he'll be more powerful than they are (they'll be ECL 11 and I plan to give him a level or two of Dread itself on top of his own HD) but it will be possible to kill him, even though he's not focusing on them. He's more likely to get away, though, hence the hope he'll be recurring.

So, has anyone built a Dread yet? What were some of the more useful feats/terrors? Haunting Steps looks crazy useful, especially for something with reach, as does Mind Drain or Overwhelming Fear.