PDA

View Full Version : Houseruling dispel magic?

Zorgoth
2013-10-01, 12:35 PM
I feel like dispel magic and greater dispel magic are done a disservive with the caster level caps, particularly considering that it is not inconceivable to cast a CL 30 spell at level 20 (archmage class levels with Spell Power, orange ioun stone, some kind of modification of the karma prayer bead). What do you think of these changes to dispel magic?

1) Use "soft" caster level caps - after CL 10/20, add 1/2 of your remaining caster level.
2) Grant a +2 bonus when targeting an individual spell rather than a creature or area
3) When targeting an individual spell out of combat, allow caster to substitute Spellcraft for caster level, but in this case give the spell a 10 minute casting time
4) Allow the use of Enhance Spell to boost the CL cap at epic levels

kme
2013-10-01, 02:50 PM
You can just remove the CL cap on Greater Dispel.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 03:38 PM

Either that, or fix Disjunction so that it doesn't destroy your loot. (I like the PF version.)

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-01, 03:50 PM
Either that, or fix Disjunction so that it doesn't destroy your loot. (I like the PF version.)

Bah, getting money is easy. Killing your enemies can be quite hard.
So what is a Disjunction burns whatever loot the BBEG has on him. At that point you should be able to profit more from said BBEG being permanently removed from play and at your mercy than the value of the loot he has on his person anyways.

Chronos
2013-10-01, 03:51 PM
I'd go with this. It won't make any difference in low-op non-epic, where caster levels max out at 20, but it'll help in high-op and epic where it's really needed.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 04:14 PM
Bah, getting money is easy. Killing your enemies can be quite hard.
So what is a Disjunction burns whatever loot the BBEG has on him. At that point you should be able to profit more from said BBEG being permanently removed from play and at your mercy than the value of the loot he has on his person anyways.

My main problem there is that it sucks when disjunction is used against you. Er, me. Which makes me loath to want to use it against others regardless of effectiveness. Lots of DMs subscribe to "turnabout is fair play."

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-01, 04:26 PM
My main problem there is that it sucks when disjunction is used against you. Er, me. Which makes me loath to want to use it against others regardless of effectiveness. Lots of DMs subscribe to "turnabout is fair play."

Shift to Zodar form and Wish your equipment back up, takes at most a minute or so and the party is good to go.

Don't exceed wealth by level and your DM shouldn't bitch too much.

The real risk is that your BBEG is keeping a minor artifact of some stripe on hand for just such an eventuality, in which case your Craft Contingent Time Regression triggers and removes the action.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 04:38 PM
Shift to Zodar form

Now where have I heard that suggestion before! :smalltongue::smalltongue:

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-01, 04:41 PM
Now where have I heard that suggestion before! :smalltongue::smalltongue:

Would you prefer "pull our your pet Solar's"? :smalltongue:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-01, 04:46 PM
A Red Wizard and anyone else with access to circle magic can get a caster level of 40 at character level ~10.

I'd recommend removing Greater Dispel Magic, and adding a few more lines to Dispel Magic such as: Your maximum caster level bonus to the dispel check is determined by the spell slot used to cast the spell: 3rd: +10; 4th: +13; 5th: +16; 6th: +20; 7th: +24; 8th: +29; 9th: +34; etc. Casting it from a 6th level or higher spell slot allows it to dispel additional effects per Greater Dispel Magic. Casting this spell with one or more metamagic feats does not count the spell slot increase used to pay for any metamagic feats when determining the benefits of the above option.

Or you could just use the Spell Points system (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm) and make it work like Dispel Psionics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dispelPsionics.htm).

Glimbur
2013-10-01, 05:18 PM
There are a couple other Dispel like spells with different caps. I think some of them are in the Spell Compendium?

TuggyNE
2013-10-01, 05:29 PM
Shift to Zodar form and Wish your equipment back up, takes at most a minute or so and the party is good to go.

Don't exceed wealth by level

See, this is the part that gets me. If you have that kind of absurd power, how and why are you being constrained by WBL? It doesn't make sense.

There are, I suppose, several ways to solve it, but one of the tidier ones I think is to cut out the wish abuses and defang disjunction as previously indicated.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-01, 05:39 PM
See, this is the part that gets me. If you have that kind of absurd power, how and why are you being constrained by WBL? It doesn't make sense.
Have more than 110% of WBL on you? Well then your soul is overburdened with magic and it is eradicated along with everything on your body. Basically, permanent and irrevocable death for breaking WBL.

There are, I suppose, several ways to solve it, but one of the tidier ones I think is to cut out the wish abuses and defang disjunction as previously indicated.

And then everyone bitches about the laundry list of buffs that any high level character that wants to survive the day runs around with.

The whole cleric zilla thing? The whole nightstick abuse for persistent buffs? The Incantatrix problem? One disjunction and they all suddenly become much less of a problem.

The Mind Blank that shuts down all of Enchantment? One Disjunction and the whole party is stripped, and with its long duration the odds are that the casters only prepared one for the day.

Disjunction in a number of ways actually makes high op, high level games playable.

TuggyNE
2013-10-01, 06:28 PM
And then everyone bitches about the laundry list of buffs that any high level character that wants to survive the day runs around with.

The whole cleric zilla thing? The whole nightstick abuse for persistent buffs? The Incantatrix problem? One disjunction and they all suddenly become much less of a problem.

The Mind Blank that shuts down all of Enchantment? One Disjunction and the whole party is stripped, and with its long duration the odds are that the casters only prepared one for the day.

Disjunction in a number of ways actually makes high op, high level games playable.

Huh? The suggestion I was referring to was to nerf disjunction, probably by borrowing PF's version.
All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are disjoined. That is, spells and spell-like effects are unraveled and destroyed completely (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does), and each permanent magic item must make a successful Will save or be turned into a normal item for the duration of this spell.

It still works just fine for blasting buff stacks, and it still even knocks magic items down. The only difference is that magic items don't die forever (most of the time).