PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Attempts on Demoralize...

SetArk
2013-10-01, 04:49 PM
Hey guys!
Need some help here...
So, one of my PCs is building a Exalted Barbarian on my game.
The problem is.. He's focusing on intimidate feats and building over demoralizing foes on combat.
Not a really problem with critters and minions, even happened the badassness of making a Red Dragon Juvenile drops to shaken....
But then on the last session something come upon my mind...
Every other enemy he fought, have fallen to his intimidate checks on one shot.. And they normally won't survive long enough so he try to demoralize again then..
But then.. They fought a badass black blood cultist barbarian leader, that took about 17 rounds to drop down, and the PC kept demoralizing round after round, using imperious command to render the enemy cowering and stuff... So i started to question..
If, someone by chance or lucky gets past his freakish high intimidate check. <For instance, he rolls an 4 making a 23 on the Demoralize Opponent check, next badass thing he will encounter rolls an 16 and goes 25 idkn >
Will this NPC be immune to the next demoralize attempts? Because on the skill it says that's an skill check that cant have an retry, but i think that were only for the social interaction.
So question is. Its possible to attempt to demoralize the same enemy multiple times? And if so, wouldn't the target get i dkn, and stacking +2 bonus to resist it for every time he overcomes the demoralizing check?

TuggyNE
2013-10-01, 05:25 PM
If, someone by chance or lucky gets past his freakish high intimidate check. <For instance, he rolls an 4 making a 23 on the Demoralize Opponent check, next badass thing he will encounter rolls an 16 and goes 25 idkn >
Will this NPC be immune to the next demoralize attempts? Because on the skill it says that's an skill check that cant have an retry, but i think that were only for the social interaction.
So question is. Its possible to attempt to demoralize the same enemy multiple times? And if so, wouldn't the target get i dkn, and stacking +2 bonus to resist it for every time he overcomes the demoralizing check?

I don't know what "idkn" is, but the skill does not say it can't be retried, even for social encounters. Rather, it says that retries usually don't work because there's only so far you can push someone to do something. In this case, though, I don't think that reason really applies, so demoralizing the same enemy multiple times shouldn't be out of the question.

If you want to apply a +2 bonus on the opposed check for subsequent attempts, you can, I suppose, but I'm not totally sure that's necessary.

lsfreak
2013-10-01, 06:01 PM
What level are you guys at, and how and how much is his + to Intimidate boosted? Because I wouldn't normally think nearly every opponent fails, especially things with high hit dice and anti-fear buffs. I.e. without delving into Intimidate-boosting feats/items that red dragon (assuming fought at level 10 like the CR lists) should have a modifier 4ish points higher (depending on Charisma), which is good chance of not working.

Deophaun
2013-10-01, 06:17 PM
What level are you guys at, and how and how much is his + to Intimidate boosted? Because I wouldn't normally think nearly every opponent fails, especially things with high hit dice and anti-fear buffs. I.e. without delving into Intimidate-boosting feats/items that red dragon (assuming fought at level 10 like the CR lists) should have a modifier 4ish points higher (depending on Charisma), which is good chance of not working.
If a 4 gets him a 23, the we're looking at a +19 to his intimidate score. The dragon should have had a +3 advantage.

But then again, Barbarians aren't the best build for intimidation. Warlocks, Bards, and anything that PrCs into Dread Witch could reliably keep that juvenile red shivering in a pool of his own cowardice.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-01, 06:56 PM
Fear effects are one of the strongest mechanics in the game, there's even an entire handbook on using them. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0)

Immunity to fear should get around his gimmick, there are many efficient ways of gaining it in the mid to high levels. Check the necessary items list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) for fear immunity for several options.

Assuming he's using Intimidating Rage, he can only designate a single opponent to demoralize every round using that feat each time he rages. You can use illusions, mooks who appear strong, decoys, etc. to get him to designate someone besides the strongest opponent, and he'll only be able to demoralize that unimportant foe or even non-foe in the case of an illusion with Intimidating Rage. If the important opponent starts the encounter hidden, invisible, etc., or if they're further than 30 ft. from him when he goes into a rage, he cannot designate them as his Intimidating Rage target and cannot use that to demoralize them for the entire encounter.