PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Skald Question

Lanson
2013-10-01, 05:25 PM
What kind of classes is the Warrior Skald prestige class useful for?

I don't have access to Races of Faerun just yet, and I'm 99% sure that the one hosted on d&d wiki is home-brewed, but not tagged as such. (If it is the legitimate class, I'll edit this part of post as board admins don't like linking/referencing to non-SRD material on other sites.)

I was hoping to use it (IE, the legitimate class) for a Barbarian/Battle Sorceror build if it advances spellcasting, using my spells for self-buffing and BFC, and only rage when it's needed. But I need to know if it does advance spellcasting or not, and if not, there are other books I'd much rather drop my money on.

tyckspoon
2013-10-01, 05:42 PM
It's not a casting class. It's a full-BAB class that gives you Bardic Music (every variety the normal Bard does, although it doesn't advance the Inspire Courage bonus) and then provides some alternate ways to use Bardic Music uses, most of which are pretty bad. It's mostly interesting for being a fairly accessible way to acquire Bardic Music.. at least, if you get your DM to houserule that Perform is a universal class skill. Otherwise you have to spend waaaay too many skill points getting into it.

Lanson
2013-10-01, 05:58 PM
Allright, thanks :smallsmile: I figured it would have been too good to be true if it had at least some caster progression:smalltongue:

CyberThread
2013-10-01, 06:01 PM
Perform Variant Paladin, and a few others get it as a benefit, you also need to take into account, that 3.0 bard was different then current bard. So you need to ask your DM if they accept the PRC as is.

IF you have no other bards in your party, then taking it in the old fashoin way really is not all that "over powering" , but just make sure folks are aware of the difference.

Overall a Paladin that takes that class as written, does a mighty fine job,and increases usefulness.

Gwendol
2013-10-01, 06:09 PM
A paladin should take the "from smite to song" feat, period.

Lanson
2013-10-01, 06:11 PM
you also need to take into account, that 3.0 bard was different then current bard. So you need to ask your DM if they accept the PRC as is.

Yes, we are aware, all he asks of me is to edit that to instead grant bardic music abilities and uses as a bard of my Warrior Skald level. It's only a little bit crippling, but the class was mostly going to be for flavor, the bardic music will still be helpful with no bard.

CyberThread
2013-10-01, 06:34 PM
If you took that class as a one level dip, you would be having real fun ;)

Only ones I know that get perform without PRC usage, is

Overwhelming attack monk

Jester

Darksong Knight (Fighter)

and that paladin , but I don't remember the name, it was valor something or another.

Would you be willing to swap the barbarian out , for a chaotic freedom paladin ?

Lanson
2013-10-01, 06:57 PM
It would work just as well actually. The DM's BBEG right now is an evil emperor who has kept our first characters in slavery. This gentleman is going to be the backup in case my current character dies, since our group has nearly wiped twice. :smallyuk: DM has trouble balancing encounters. I've sent him several links to some suggestions though, so it should clear up a little.