PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Clarification. Quicken Summon?

Gimur
2013-10-01, 06:50 PM
I'm unable to turn up any definitive answer to this question via my own research, so I thought I'd ask the playground.
Can you apply Quicken Spell to a spell with a casting time of 1 round?

My train of thought is that 1 round is not the same as a full-round action, as the effect doesn't come into play until your next round. Seeing as the time is longer, if fulfills the rule on Quicken:

A spell whose casting time is more than 1 round or 1 full-round action cannot be quickened.

But then there's the question of why Quicken mentions both, if they are different. They take the same amount of actions, but play out differently.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 07:10 PM
They're not the same - a full round action finishes during your turn, whereas a 1 round action finishes at the start of your next turn. This is a big deal when you consider that the enemies going while you're casting can mean a lot of concentration checks for you.

As for why they spell them both out, it's because in 3.5, Quicken only applied to full-round actions or less. So to make summons work with it you needed Rapid Spell or an ACF of some kind. PF changed it so that any 1 round spell can be quickened without needing something else.

TuggyNE
2013-10-01, 07:10 PM
But then there's the question of why Quicken mentions both, if they are different. They take the same amount of actions, but play out differently.

It mentions both in order to clarify that yes it really does mean both. Don't take a redundant clarification and then try to turn it around to mean the opposite, please.

Gimur
2013-10-01, 07:17 PM
It mentions both in order to clarify that yes it really does mean both. Don't take a redundant clarification and then try to turn it around to mean the opposite, please.

That's why I asked. It reads - or -, which confused me.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 07:18 PM
That's why I asked. It reads - or -, which confused me.

Of course it does. How many spells do you know with a casting time of a full-round action AND 1 round?

Frosty
2013-10-01, 09:12 PM
So you *can* quicken a Summon and cast it as a swift action?

Fax Celestis
2013-10-01, 09:17 PM

No, Quicken only applies to spells with less than a full-round casting time. DURRFAX I R DA SMERTZ

Grammar failure:

A spell whose casting time is more than 1 round or 1 full-round action cannot be quickened.

Should read

A spell whose casting time is more than 1 round or is 1 full-round action cannot be quickened.

Psyren
2013-10-01, 09:25 PM

The answer is yes. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9o63)

I do see now how the grammar can be (quite) confusing, but the intent is for Quicken to work with summoning/enlarge person etc. without needing to port Rapid Spell in from 3.5.

Gimur
2013-10-02, 01:14 AM
The answer is yes. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9o63)

I do see now how the grammar can be (quite) confusing, but the intent is for Quicken to work with summoning/enlarge person etc. without needing to port Rapid Spell in from 3.5.

Thank you for the link, and the clear and concise answer!