PDA

View Full Version : Someone Interested in doing a BECMI to 3.5 Module Conversion?

unseenmage
2013-10-01, 07:55 PM
Back in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300752)I'd struck on the idea of converting an old 2nd BECMI edition module called Earthshaker! to 3.5 but I have no idea how to go about such a thing as 3.x is my only exposure to the D&D.

Is there somewhere or someone on these forums who'd be interested in doing such a conversion?

Psyren
2013-10-01, 08:11 PM
Converting from 2 to 3 (or even 1 to 3) is pretty easy, but unless the module is OGL you'll have to hope somebody has it.

yougi
2013-10-01, 08:51 PM
Well, what I usually do to adapt 1st or 2nd edition modules to either 3.5 or 4E is that I keep the maps and description as is, but adapt traps, encounters and treasure to be more in line with modern numbers. Often, you'll have to re-fluff monsters, because there are many CR-inappropriate encounters in those modules if you were to bring them to 3.5 as is.

Khedrac
2013-10-02, 03:06 AM
Are you sure that Earthshaker is 2nd Ed? I am not aware of a re-write and my copy is Companion D&D...

This probably makes it easier to convert as the rules are a lot simpler. That said, you may want to replace the gnomes with a non-player race - gnomes were not a PC race in B/E/C/M/I D&D.

BWR
2013-10-02, 05:11 AM
Earthshaker! is BECMI.
Having run a fair number of BECMI modules for PF, I can say converting is generally pretty straightforward. A bit time-consuming sometimes but there aren't many things that can go wrong. For the most part, it's a matter of removing the old mechanics, putting in the new. There greatest problems I've noticed, especially once you get to Companion/Master level, are:

NPC levels.
In many of these games you can easily have the equivalent of level 11 PCs face off against level casters with 9th level spells. While that worked in BECMI, you can imagine the problems in 3.x. Quick and easy fix for NPC levels is 1/2 listed level, add 1.
On the other end of the spectrum, you often come across opponents who are less than half the PCs' level. Again, in BECMI these could actually have a chance to inconvenience you (if not win) but this is hardly likely in 3.x. Increase their level to about 2 below average PC level.

Monsters.
Much the same; sometimes listed monsters are no challenge for the party in 3.x, so you will want to either replace them with something tougher or give them levels (or increase HD). Sometimes monsters are too powerful and you'll want to replace with something weaker. There are a few monsters that are not converted, in which case this (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/converted/)site can be useful. As long as you know the 3.x system fairly well and your PCs you should be able to determine what will be a challenge fairly easily.

As for Earthshaker!, keep the gnomes. Sure, they weren't a playable race out of the basic sets but they were introduced in later expansions. I know they are available in "Top Ballista", for instance.

unseenmage
2013-10-02, 05:45 PM
Are you sure that Earthshaker is 2nd Ed? I am not aware of a re-write and my copy is Companion D&D...

This probably makes it easier to convert as the rules are a lot simpler. That said, you may want to replace the gnomes with a non-player race - gnomes were not a PC race in B/E/C/M/I D&D.

Earthshaker! is BECMI.
Having run a fair number of BECMI modules for PF, I can say converting is generally pretty straightforward. A bit time-consuming sometimes but there aren't many things that can go wrong. For the most part, it's a matter of removing the old mechanics, putting in the new. There greatest problems I've noticed, especially once you get to Companion/Master level, are:

NPC levels.
In many of these games you can easily have the equivalent of level 11 PCs face off against level casters with 9th level spells. While that worked in BECMI, you can imagine the problems in 3.x. Quick and easy fix for NPC levels is 1/2 listed level, add 1.
On the other end of the spectrum, you often come across opponents who are less than half the PCs' level. Again, in BECMI these could actually have a chance to inconvenience you (if not win) but this is hardly likely in 3.x. Increase their level to about 2 below average PC level.

Monsters.
Much the same; sometimes listed monsters are no challenge for the party in 3.x, so you will want to either replace them with something tougher or give them levels (or increase HD). Sometimes monsters are too powerful and you'll want to replace with something weaker. There are a few monsters that are not converted, in which case this (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/converted/)site can be useful. As long as you know the 3.x system fairly well and your PCs you should be able to determine what will be a challenge fairly easily.

As for Earthshaker!, keep the gnomes. Sure, they weren't a playable race out of the basic sets but they were introduced in later expansions. I know they are available in "Top Ballista", for instance.

Thank you both for the clarification. I'd tried reading it and it was largely greek to me when it came to the mechanics so I made an incorrect assumption.

@ BWR, I'll keep your suggestions in mind and thank you for the link! More monsters is always a good thing.

I doubt I'll do the conversion myself but if I get desperate enough I might try. Have a lot on my plate right now IRL which is no small part of why I figured I'd ask around and see if someone else was interested in doing the legwork/already had done it.

BWR
2013-10-02, 06:54 PM
I have considered running Earthshaker! for my group at some point, so if I get around to it, I'll put a little extra effort into the converting and post it here. However, what with the plans I have it wouldn't be for another couple of months at the earliest.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention with a lot of the old modules, treasure is pretty screwed up compared to 3.5.

A BECMI encounter can easily have ten times the gold value you'd find in an equivalent 3.x encounter, yet have level 15+ characters with a +2 sword and +1 armor and nothing else. And type and placement can be a bit weird at times. In one Basic module (meant for levels 1-4, about levels 1-2 in 3.x terms) there was a Bag of Holding, lying out in the middle of the swamp before the PCs even meet a single enemy. Or a starting level dungeon which netted the PCs something like 10 000 gp.

The reason for this was probably that you got a lot more xp for finding treasure than you did for killing monsters, and you needed a lot of xp to level. Also, without a pricing system for magic items or proper system for crafting, you basically spent it all on ale and whores until you hit level 9 and built your own stronghold.

unseenmage
2013-10-02, 06:58 PM
I have considered running Earthshaker! for my group at some point, so if I get around to it, I'll put a little extra effort into the converting and post it here. However, what with the plans I have it wouldn't be for another couple of months at the earliest.

That's fine! I have no idea when my group would be ready to play through it either so whenever is good.
Thanks for the interest. If we're both lucky maybe some other kind soul will save you the effort.