View Full Version : Question of Forbiddance

Randomocity132
2013-10-01, 08:05 PM
Do magic bags or bags of holding function normally within an area of Forbiddance?

Randomocity132
2013-10-01, 09:36 PM
just curious

Mcdt2
2013-10-01, 10:16 PM
Forbiddance seals an area against all planar travel into or within it.
This includes all teleportation spells (such as dimension door and teleport), plane shifting, astral travel, ethereal travel, and all summoning spells.

Bags of holding and similar effects, such as the handy haversack or gloves of storing, are referred to as extradimensional or sometimes nondimensional spaces. As such, it does not seem as though Forbiddance prevents their use by RAW.

This being said, the Bag of Holding is based off a summoning spell (secret chest.) I could see a DM making a case that it was intended to block access to extradimensional spaces. I'd ask your DM how he/she feels about it; personally, almost everyone I've played with has different ideas about how bags of holding and the like "should" work.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, double posting, especially to bump your own post, is frowned upon in the forums. Just a reminder - the edit button is there for a reason.

Randomocity132
2013-10-02, 01:21 AM
EDIT: Oh, and by the way, double posting, especially to bump your own post, is frowned upon in the forums. Just a reminder - the edit button is there for a reason.

I figured as much, but I didn't intend to do it any more once I got a response. My thread had fallen off the visible forums without any responses, and I felt it was better than just re-making the thread.