PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Making a Mog Knight Riding a Chocobo

Tokuhara
2013-10-01, 09:06 PM
So I got invited to a Roll20 PF game, and I had a song stuck in my mind, when a hilarious image of a Moogle riding a Chocobo into battle.

So here's my question: How close to a "Mog Knight" can I make who is capable of fighting on his chocobo and on his feet?

Waker
2013-10-01, 09:56 PM
I'd probably go with something like a Catfolk Beast Rider Cavalier with an Axe Beak Mount. Since I tend to think of Moogles from the viewpoint of FF3 (FF6), I'd maybe sneak a bit of Bard in there so they can bust out some sweet dance moves.

Tokuhara
2013-10-01, 10:07 PM
I'd probably go with something like a Catfolk Beast Rider Cavalier with an Axe Beak Mount. Since I tend to think of Moogles from the viewpoint of FF3 (FF6), I'd maybe sneak a bit of Bard in there so they can bust out some sweet dance moves.

That's pretty darn close. My only worry is a small gripe: Catfolk are medium sized.

So what order is perfect for this guy?

Waker
2013-10-01, 10:13 PM
That's pretty darn close. My only worry is a small gripe: Catfolk are medium sized.

So what order is perfect for this guy?

Yeah, I wasn't super happy about the medium-size, but the closest I could come with a small-sized race was the Ratfolk.
As for the Order, that is more a matter of personal preference. What kind of combat approach did you want to take with this character?

shortround
2013-10-01, 10:28 PM
Isn't there that Young template you could use? Makes you one size smaller with a bonus to Dex and penalties to Strength and Con, I think. Away from book right now, though.

Tokuhara
2013-10-01, 10:56 PM
Young Catfolk vs. Ratfolk is a tough toss-up.

And personally, I like being able to do reasonable damage without pidgeonholing myself with mount-only

Waker
2013-10-01, 11:08 PM
I'd say go with Cocktrice if damage is your concern. The Order has a few decent abilities to increase the amount of hurt that you can lay down on your enemies, like the Challenge and the free AoO.

Baroncognito
2013-10-01, 11:08 PM
You could make a Rakshasa Spawn Tiefling that is "unusually short, granting you all the standard traits of a Small creature".

There aren't horribly strict rules about what a Tiefling has to look like. You could even say that the tiefling was born to a catfolk.

Tokuhara
2013-10-01, 11:12 PM
You could make a Rakshasa Spawn Tiefling that is "unusually short, granting you all the standard traits of a Small creature".

There aren't horribly strict rules about what a Tiefling has to look like. You could even say that the tiefling was born to a catfolk.

I like this.

So it's a Short Rakshasa-Spawn Tiefling Beast Rider Cavalier riding an Axe Beak

Tokuhara
2013-10-02, 01:03 AM
And to explain, this was the mental image:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/276/3/e/moogle_riding_chocobo_by_elfprincessflannery-d300peh.jpg

Baroncognito
2013-10-02, 01:06 AM
Cool, there's also a Tiefling Racial trait that gets you vestigial wings.

fishjam
2013-10-02, 08:43 AM
If you use the Pathfinder advanced race guide you could probably build a moogle race for under 10 RP which is the standard race amount.

Obviously ask your DM if its ok and agree between you, its all on the SRD if you want to take a look, just dont focus it to your character and its a nice system.

Tokuhara
2013-10-04, 10:51 AM
Well, having looked over all of the orders, the Order of the Tome struck me as a Moogle order, seeing as how in many of their premier members are Black Mages.

So here's the question: How do I make this moogle knight a powerful combatant on and off his Chocobo?

Saskia
2013-10-04, 11:47 AM
So I got invited to a Roll20 PF game, and I had a song stuck in my mind, when a hilarious image of a Moogle riding a Chocobo into battle.

So here's my question: How close to a "Mog Knight" can I make who is capable of fighting on his chocobo and on his feet?

If your DM would allow it you could do an anthropomorphic owl or bat (SS 216). They're small sized and get big bonuses to wisdom which makes them really good for druid. Druid, incidentally, makes a really good base for mounted characters because your companion is so strong. Besides, what good is a moogle without magic anyway? If you do the bat you can call the pom pom thing your sonar receiver :smallwink:

So use your feats for mounted combat feats, use a lance, maybe dip one or two levels in fighter because mounted combat kind of needs a lot, and then maybe one or two levels in cavalier, and use your spells to augment yourself and your mount rather than relying on wild shape to pound things into oblivion.

Take a fleshraker dinosaur as your mount, and between bribes of food and beer get your DM to refluff it to look like a giant chicken. Some saurian species are the distant ancestors of modern birds anyway. That makes it easy fodder for mad scientist wizard experimentation. Being a druid it makes sense that the character would go bust up some skulls for tampering with nature, but how could he kill the adorable little monstrosity that turned out to be a chocobo chick? And now it's your faithful combat chicken, e'er at your side to shred your enemies with its massive and powerful beak, vicious talons, and murderous war cry.

Baw, scratch all that. Just noticed "PF". :smallfrown: