PDA

View Full Version : Dance Advice In The playground?

ShadowFireLance
2013-10-01, 09:48 PM
That..came out a little weird, Anyways, I'm going to a 'Formal' dance Friday, and I'm not the kind of person that really...Dances...
Nor do I know exactly what to do in such a setting, So...yeah...

Two words:
Halp. Me.
:smalleek:

Cuthalion
2013-10-01, 09:55 PM
That..came out a little weird, Anyways, I'm going to a 'Formal' dance Friday, and I'm not the kind of person that really...Dances...

Two words:
Halp. Me.

A good option is hanging out on the sidelines, watching, chatting, and drinking something. :smalltongue:

Grinner
2013-10-01, 10:04 PM
What's the occasion?

If you're going to a high school dance, don't worry about traditional dances, or dancing at all really. Only about thirty people will actually know how to dance, and only four members of that group will actually bother. Everyone else will just do whatever.

If you're going to a proper ballroom dance, then knowing some basic steps will boost your survival chance immensely. It's more likely that you'll end up doing as Cuthalion suggested, though.

ShadowFireLance
2013-10-01, 10:05 PM
survival chance

I literally just chocked on my soda reading that.
I'm terrified now.

It's just ye olde Dance with people that I somehow got dragged into.

Grinner
2013-10-01, 10:09 PM
I literally just chocked on my soda reading that.
I'm terrified now.

It's just ye olde Dance with people that I somehow got dragged into.

Well don't be! In my experience, people at formal ballroom dances tend to be very forgiving of beginners.

You did mean the latter, right?

Cuthalion
2013-10-01, 10:36 PM
Well don't be! In my experience, people at formal ballroom dances tend to be very forgiving of beginners.

You did mean the latter, right?

I doubt there are that many ye olde formal high school dances that don't have names.

thubby
2013-10-01, 10:46 PM
not damaging your partner is priority 1.

no matter how poorly you dance, or think you dance, sacrifice anything to keep your feet off of hers.

people are very forgiving about just about everything else so long as you don't go crushing peoples toes.

inuyasha
2013-10-01, 11:16 PM
Heres what I did, and I am a high school kid in a wheelchair (semi-mobile outside of wheelchair, just got that fixed up due to surgery [/offtopic)

1. Ask girl, boy, other person
2. ask good friends for support
3. be unsure of yourself
4. get a wild wave of courage, take a quick drink, and go dance

note: when dancing with someone you like, expect the happiness afterwards to wear off in a few months

mmkay that may not have been helpful, I did this and it worked amazingly though

inexorabletruth
2013-10-02, 12:01 AM
I met the girl I eventually married on the dance floor. So I know a trick or two.

Ok, first of all. Hit up YouTube, or your local library for some ballroom dancing videos. This is the easiest way to make yourself look like a champ on the floor in a hurry.

However, here are a few quick pointers: (for these roles, politically correct gender terms will make this wordy and confusing. So please allow me to use "he/him" for the lead and "she/her" for the one who follows, since this is the traditionally accepted ballroom partnership.)

1. In a heterosexual arrangement, the male is expected to lead. In any other arrangement the one who holds the partner's waist leads. The hand on the waist is important, because that's what you use to communicate with you partner where you want to lead them. The partner who follows keeps her hand on the lead partners shoulder for stability and balance. Remember, she's walking backwards and probably in heels.

2. Small steps are best. Try to keep your movement limited to about 1 square foot. For reference, your average ceramic or linoleum tile found in home bathrooms and kitchens in most American homes are about 1 square foot. I don't have a frame of reference outside of that, since I don't remember what the tiles looked like when I lived in Europe.

3. The traditional steps are: forward, right, back, left. This is called a box step, obviously because it makes a box with your feet. You can mix this up if you're feeling confident or bored: turn twist, spin, or even expand the box. But if you do, you'll need to direct your partner with your hands. When possible, guide her with the hand on her waist unless you intend to dip, spin her, or lift her.

I did a quick google, and found this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU9XsurRTHI). I didn't check it to see if it's a good tutorial or not, but I thought it would get you on the right track.

thubby
2013-10-02, 12:53 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but ask your mother to teach you. she'll be thrilled im sure, and she probably learned enough about dancing by dint of having attended weddings.

Balain
2013-10-02, 02:52 AM
I too use to be terrified of going to dances. No terrified is too strong. I was worried about dances. I don't dance well, I know some moves but I look like I have two left feet a lot of times. PLus in my younger days I was more socially awkward.

If you can get some practice in before the event, great. If not don't worry about it. You might look silly trying to dance, you might not but whp cares, other people will also look silly. The girls will appreciate you trying to dance.

If it is a ballroom setting everyone is there to dance, so feel free to ask any of them to dance. Some might say no lots will say yes. If you get asked to dance, get on the dance floor.

If it is a school dance/social event/what not, don't worry if you don't dance so much.

If you bring a date, well depends on a lot of things but the simple thing is save the slow dances for your date and most of the others for your date.

Don't forget to chat while dancing, and apologize if you step on any toes.

it is way to late for me to be up typing so hope that makes sense.

Couronne
2013-10-08, 04:25 PM
1. In a heterosexual arrangement, the male is expected to lead. In any other arrangement the one who holds the partner's waist leads. The hand on the waist is important, because that's what you use to communicate with you partner where you want to lead them. The partner who follows keeps her hand on the lead partners shoulder for stability and balance. Remember, she's walking backwards and probably in heels.

From my (admittedly limited) experience of such arrangements the male is generally expected to be awkward, highly embarrassed and rather apologetic about the whole affair. The trick seems to be to manage to simultaneously look adorably lost and flustered, which you can use to your advantage with such female as takes pity on you by suggesting a pied a terre to somewhere your inadequacy on the dance floor is a non-issue (like outside at the back of the car park where no-one can see).

noparlpf
2013-10-08, 08:45 PM

Two words:
Halp. Me.

1. Charge DS.
2. Hide DS in clothing.
3. Play Pokémon in the corner.
4. Leave early.
5. Get milkshakes at a 24-hour diner.

ShadowFireLance
2013-10-08, 08:56 PM
Well. I feel I should tell everyone what happened.

So, I go to picture taking before hand, with my 'group'. It's hot. I'm in a suit. For 1 and a half hours.

So, after that, we all go to the 'dance'.
Coldish food.
Yay.

Then everyone slowly goes to dancing.
Everyone dances for a bit, and I get forced to dance repeatedly. :smallsigh:

So, Then I leave, early. Thank Tiamat.
:smallsigh:

I did get free food and some lemonade out of it. :smallcool:

Palanan
2013-10-08, 09:54 PM
Well, you survived. And there was free food. Sounds like you did okay.

It took me a moment to remember the last time I danced: several years ago, with an SCA dance group on campus. There was one called "Toss the Tart" which was quite fun.

:smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2013-10-09, 12:30 AM
From my (admittedly limited) experience of such arrangements the male is generally expected to be awkward, highly embarrassed and rather apologetic about the whole affair. The trick seems to be to manage to simultaneously look adorably lost and flustered, which you can use to your advantage with such female as takes pity on you by suggesting a pied a terre to somewhere your inadequacy on the dance floor is a non-issue (like outside at the back of the car park where no-one can see).

By my experience, a lead who is flustered, awkward, or shy on the dance floor is considered adorable, but generally undesirable. Cute, but beta, and not a viable dance partner. A lead needs to be confident and in charge. He doesn't have to be Channing Tatem, but it helps if he at least knows the basics and can act on those properly. Oddly, most potential leads, when they're younger (say 13-20) don't realize this and actually presume the opposite: that when a man knows how to dance, that makes them somehow weaker. The ones who are in the know at that age group are the lucky ones though. They'll be the ones sweeping dance partners off their feet, especially considering how thin the competition is. :smallwink:

ShadowFireLance
2013-10-09, 12:46 AM
Oh no.

There's another one in a month.

gurgleflep
2013-10-09, 01:48 AM
Oh no.

There's another one in a month.

You could always learn something other than ballroom dancing, there's quite a few dance styles.
Square dancing, tango, waltz, rumba, polka, Texas two-step, samba, salsa, line dancing, Charleston, slow dancing... I got help making that list.

Or just go spider on the situation. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nFTD1w5g4) Shaddap, Cuban Pete is awesome!

Edit: Ask your family members (siblings, parents, grandparents, cousins) for help in learning some of these. Practice makes perfect and a partner will help.

The Succubus
2013-10-09, 09:33 AM
1. Charge DS.
2. Hide DS in clothing.
3. Play Pokémon in the corner.
4. Leave early.
5. Get milkshakes at a 24-hour diner.

I like the way you think.

Dancing has left me with horrible mental scars and a paranoia complex. =|

Eldariel
2013-10-09, 11:14 AM
I suggest you just give it your best shot, figure out generally what you want it to look like and go from there. I personally am not a very good dancer but I love dancing all the same and as people here have said, while I'm no professional I'm still good enough to look better than the peers since I know the basic step for many a dance and I'm not afraid to go at it. I suggest you try and enjoy it; dancing is fun as long as you leave your worries and predispositions at the doorsteps.

ItWasFutile
2013-10-09, 01:36 PM
Show up in an ankle brace, (they're cheap) and on crutches.

Sit down on the sideline and appologize that you couldn't dance with her. Appear genuinely upset.

Bring a romantic gift that says something to the effect of, "I'm sorry I ruined your night." Flowers are always a nice start, but don't rely on just them. We kind of expect them for a dance.

Put the crutches down and dance with her for a slow song. They are mostly swaying back and forth while holding eachother.

Limp back to your chair afterwards, and then say your are in pain and want to leave. Appear hearbroken over it.

She'll be too busy telling her friends how romantic and sweet you are to even remember your dancing, and more importantly, how bad it may or may not have been.

Dallas-Dakota
2013-10-09, 02:36 PM
Additionaly, when she asks your how you go the injury, tell her that you fought a bear to come there, just for her. This will also allow you to be a hour or two late without being rude.

ShadowFireLance
2013-10-09, 02:48 PM
Show up in an ankle brace, (they're cheap) and on crutches.

Sit down on the sideline and appologize that you couldn't dance with her. Appear genuinely upset.

Bring a romantic gift that says something to the effect of, "I'm sorry I ruined your night." Flowers are always a nice start, but don't rely on just them. We kind of expect them for a dance.

Put the crutches down and dance with her for a slow song. They are mostly swaying back and forth while holding eachother.

Limp back to your chair afterwards, and then say your are in pain and want to leave. Appear hearbroken over it.

She'll be too busy telling her friends how romantic and sweet you are to even remember your dancing, and more importantly, how bad it may or may not have been.

Yes.
ALL of my Yes.
I'm doing this.

ItWasFutile
2013-10-09, 03:28 PM
Yes.
ALL of my Yes.
I'm doing this.

You're welcome. I'm kind of devious when I want to be. It took my boyfriend months of living with me before he realised the arthritis from my tragic biking accident only flared up when it was time to do yard work.

Couronne
2013-10-09, 05:54 PM
By my experience, a lead who is flustered, awkward, or shy on the dance floor is considered adorable, but generally undesirable. Cute, but beta, and not a viable dance partner. A lead needs to be confident and in charge. He doesn't have to be Channing Tatem, but it helps if he at least knows the basics and can act on those properly. Oddly, most potential leads, when they're younger (say 13-20) don't realize this and actually presume the opposite: that when a man knows how to dance, that makes them somehow weaker. The ones who are in the know at that age group are the lucky ones though. They'll be the ones sweeping dance partners off their feet, especially considering how thin the competition is. :smallwink:

This may have something to do with the fact that I live in England, where embarrassment is a national hobby :smalltongue:

ForzaFiori
2013-10-09, 10:40 PM
I'm actually taking a learn to dance class right now at my college.

Perhaps the absolute best tip my prof has given me (not counting actually teaching me how to dance :smalltongue:) is this - if you try to do a move and screw up, or something new your doing doesn't work out, just keep dancing. If you don't stop and make a scene, half the time your partner wont even realize that something went wrong, let alone the other people. As long as you pretend you know what your doing, other people will believe it. After all, i doubt anyone knows every type of dance (i would doubt that even most people at any given dance know a SINGLE type of dance).

Edit - I realize this post was a little late, but maybe it'll help anyone who's gonna be going to a dance sometime soon.

inexorabletruth
2013-10-10, 02:34 PM
Yes.
ALL of my Yes.
I'm doing this.

Really, bro, you're fretting over nothing. Dancing is incredibly easy and a fantastic way to establish kino with someone you'd like to break the ice with. Since you have another dance coming up, pound youtube for free dance tutorials and learn that box step.

I know it's hard to believe, and trust me I was right there with you. I was scared of dancing, insecure about other people seeing me, and generally unwilling to see me prancing like a fool on the dance floor. But every time I went out, girls would want to dance. I'd politely turn them down, and each time they'd look at me with an increasingly less subtle expression of disappointment and disapproval until eventually they found men who would dance.

After finally realizing that all those guys who knew a step or two were getting the girls I was trying to get to know, I finally caved in and got some lessons. After my first lesson (all of 15 minutes), I was already winning the girls back. The hardest part about dancing was peeling the girls off long enough to get a drink and smile apologetically at my friends who were too awkward or to "cool" to learn to dance. Eventually, it got to the point that girls were buying me drinks if I'd just give them a twirl for a couple songs.

Srsly, if you're just going to the dance to duck out early, or pretend you can't dance because you're injured, then wouldn't it make more sense to "cut out the middle-man" and just stay at home where your bandwidth is better?