PDA

View Full Version : Question pertaining to a certain Monster as a PC

Ulitharid
2013-10-01, 10:07 PM
Hello! How are you?

So, my DM has finally allowed me to be a Ulitharid! So, we are starting at level four, and I was just wondering how this would work out? Since I don't believe Mind Flayers are OGL, I will not be able to reference the work (it is on page 158 of LoM). So, I have the general gist of how Monsters convert into Characters, but I am not one-hundred percent certain in this case: the stats state it starts out with a bonus (Long tentacle + XX (XdX + X) to tentacle attacks; would I be receiving this benefit as a level-one Ulitharid? (LA:9). We are using Expanded Psionics Handbook, so I am following the adjustments: would I be capable of using all of those psionic spells at level one? There are five feats listed for the Psonic Ulitharid, am I allowed to choose five feats, or do I have to stick with those?

The book states that there are 'typical psion powers known', are these forced upon me? They also state their DCs, but wouldn't those be altered by my Intellect modifier, as they are still spells (or do they count as something else) ?

Thank you very much!

- Mr. Ulitharid

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-01, 10:37 PM
I would definitely recommend that you and your DM take a look at the Savage species Monster Class for Mind Flayers and create something based off of that (mayhaps with the option of buying off LA?).

If using the psionic version, I'd recommend spreading the manifesting advancement out, like giving it to them on non-HD levels.

The feats are the ones gained by HD - you do not gain them free at first level.

The powers known section is usually for DMs so that they don't have to pick a power list themselves (and represents the Illithid mindset). If you're creating one, feel free to select whichever powers you wish.