PDA

View Full Version : The most overlooked part of being a dragonborn...

CyberThread
2013-10-01, 11:03 PM
You get to have a breath weapon that can be one of fire/acid/electricity/cold that can freely be changed between each use of the breath :D

Waker
2013-10-01, 11:11 PM
While the option of having different breath weapons is very handy, I think more people are entranced with the idea of Ex Flight.

CyberThread
2013-10-01, 11:21 PM
oh you mean...raptorean ...dragonborn ? :P

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-01, 11:37 PM
No, he means that people are more intrigued by the Wings aspect rather than the Breath (Heart?) aspect because (Ex) flight is more interesting than a fistful of dice.

Waker
2013-10-01, 11:50 PM
oh you mean...raptorean ...dragonborn ? :P

While you could be a Raptoren Dragonborn to get the Wings and Breath Weapon, I imagine that some people are more interested in having better attributes or some other aspect to layer onto the Dragonborn template, like being a Water Orc or Mongrelfolk to get silly high Constitution.
Don't get me wrong, I think the breath weapon is good, especially if you get some of the Metabreath feats, but mobility is rather important.

Big Fau
2013-10-02, 12:04 AM
Outside from Dragonfire Adept, most people opt for the Wings or Senses aspect (or both via Raptoran).

eggynack
2013-10-02, 12:23 AM
A breath weapon actually seems pretty sweet on a dragonborn druid. Flight and vision modes are rather redundant, and druids are always looking for ways to turn time into damage, given how often they get inevitability through BFC effects.

CyberThread
2013-10-02, 01:08 AM
AS the breath weapon is a racial affect, I Don't think it would work when you wildshape?

Pluto!
2013-10-02, 01:09 AM
Isn't this the one of the two most common way for DFAs to qualify for metabreath feats? I don't think its lack of discussion is as much unfamiliarity as much as it is that 3d8 damage (Ref Half) just isn't that impressive at level 8.

CyberThread
2013-10-02, 01:21 AM
8HD is 4d8 of your energy choice, with various feats to manipulate it, with a reflex save

Warlock at 8 class level is 3d6 at 60ft range with SR with various abilities to manipulate it.

eggynack
2013-10-02, 01:22 AM
AS the breath weapon is a racial affect, I Don't think it would work when you wildshape?
It apparently would were it not a breath weapon, because there appears to be a specific exception that stops breath weapons from working in a wild shape. Wings obviously lose their effectiveness too, so it might be down to mind as the best option. The visions are a bit weak and redundant, but you get some immunities, and a bump to scouting abilities, so that's probably the thing to choose. A breath weapon might still be useful, if you're not running around in wild shape all the time, but I don't know why you'd ever not be wild shaped when you could be wild shaped.

TuggyNE
2013-10-02, 03:08 AM
A breath weapon might still be useful, if you're not running around in wild shape all the time, but I don't know why you'd ever not be wild shaped when you could be wild shaped.

So you can use your breath weapon of course! :smallwink: Try to keep up. :smalltongue:

eggynack
2013-10-02, 03:26 AM
So you can use your breath weapon of course! :smallwink: Try to keep up. :smalltongue:
Yeah, I can be pretty brainless sometimes. I mean, that was basically the only justification I had, that you'd somehow be able to gain such a high level of inevitability that the breath weapon could act as a kill condition, but the way I figure it you're not really going to get that level of stalling unless you're wild shaped in the first place. Anyways, I'm just happy that I've settled the ever-difficult question of which dragonborn ability is best on a druid. Got a nice 274 word paragraph on the topic for my handbook too. Dragonborn is pretty sweet on a druid, actually.

Darrin
2013-10-02, 06:36 AM
I thought the most overlooked feature was you could swap an existing feat for Dragon Tail or Dragon Wings (yes, I'm looking at you, Endurance). This puts you one feat away from having both a breath weapon and flight.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-02, 08:24 AM
8HD is 4d8 of your energy choice, with various feats to manipulate it, with a reflex save

Warlock at 8 class level is 3d6 at 60ft range with SR with various abilities to manipulate it.
And neither is doing level-appropriate damage.

I think, in the end, more people opt for the wings or blindsight both because those are more important and harder to obtain than breath weapon-y things.

Red Fel
2013-10-02, 08:31 AM
There's one thing that bugs me about the wings, though.

See, there are feats that replicate the effects of the Wings aspect, if you're willing to take feats for (Ex) flight. But here's the issue.

The advanced wing feats - namely Reinforced Wings and Heavyweight Wings - require the earlier feats as prereqs. And the wings aspect does not explicitly say that it qualifies you for these feats.

Doesn't that mean that, according to RAW, if you want to use wings while in medium or heavy armor, you have to take the prereq feats, even though you already receive their function via wings aspect?

Chronos
2013-10-02, 09:26 AM
Personally, the breath weapon is my favorite dragonborn aspect. Yeah, it's blasting, and a fairly low amount, but it's also usable once or twice per combat, all day every day, and with your choice of element. It won't be useful in all combats (against a single powerful opponent you ought to have better options), but it's great for clearing out crowds of low-level riffraff, and the opportunity cost for it is low.

And the best base race for a dragonborn is warforged. Dragonborn retains the subtypes of the original race, and most of what makes warforged good is the Living Construct subtype.

Lord Haart
2013-10-02, 09:34 AM
I believe the most overlooked part of being a dragonborn is being sworn to serve Bahamut.

Chronos
2013-10-02, 10:08 AM
I believe the most overlooked part of being a dragonborn is being sworn to serve Bahamut.
Eh, all that really means is that whenever you meet a dragon whose scales aren't all shiny, you beat them up and take their stuff. Which is pretty much part of the adventurer job description.

Starbuck_II
2013-10-02, 10:27 AM
Eh, all that really means is that whenever you meet a dragon whose scales aren't all shiny, you beat them up and take their stuff. Which is pretty much part of the adventurer job description.

But if a shiny winged creature (dragon) has lots of treasure you can't take it! :smallconfused:
That just seems too constricting.

CyberThread
2013-10-02, 10:33 AM
Hey shiny winged creature am doing the lords work. How about that magical sword as tribute so I can kill the not so shiny creature you don't like?

Oh an how about that glowy thing for my wizard pal, and when we are done with not so glittery creature you can have first dibs on everything we can't carry in honor of supporting the lord.

Big Fau
2013-10-02, 11:36 AM
But if a shiny winged creature (dragon) has lots of treasure you can't take it! :smallconfused:
That just seems too constricting.

To be fair they'll likely give you some of it if you do them a favor (which may or may not involve killing the non-shiny ones, thus resulting in more treasure).

JaronK
2013-10-02, 12:13 PM
Note that a Dragonwrought Dragonborn Kobold can get all of the above. As a dragon, they get dragon type senses right away. They take the breath weapon option. And as a dragon, they qualify for Improved Dragon Wings because that feat requires Dragonblood, so they automatically qualify.

So, two feats gets you flight, breath weapons, and cool senses... plus world shattering power.

JaronK

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-10-02, 02:34 PM
I believe we have missed something terribly important...

This requires many levels of Warlock, or a PrC that advances Warlock 'casting' until you get at least one Dark invocation, which must be Eldritch Doom. And you must also have Repelling Blast.

Because what is the point in being a Dragonborn if you cannot Fus Ro Dah?

In fact, there is nothing that says you cannot have HFW + Legacy Champion in combination with this to have a 30+d6 Fus Ro Dah.

CyberThread
2013-10-02, 02:54 PM
ya know, with Exhaled Immunity, and the 4 energy types you have, you could grant folks immunity and if you have the maximized feat also, then it would last for a guaranteed 4 rounds making it useful for traversing dangerous traps or damage type areas.