PDA

View Full Version : Body Outside Body + True Mind Switch as (Ps)?

ben-zayb
2013-10-02, 01:28 AM
So due to the recent epic game recruitments over at the PbP side, I came upon this idea of Body Outside Body clones with Sp, Ps, and Su. BOB explicitly says it's a perfect clone except for spellcasting (and manifesting w/ transparency maybe) and magic items.

So how would you, as a DM, rule if a BoB clone with excess XP uses a True Mind Switch Psi-like Ability (via Archpsion 3.5 conversion I guess) and succeeds? Would my "clone mind" inhabit the target's body forever? Would the target's soul lost its now "clone body"?

Gemini476
2013-10-02, 04:14 AM
So due to the recent epic game recruitments over at the PbP side, I came upon this idea of Body Outside Body clones with Sp, Ps, and Su. BOB explicitly says it's a perfect clone except for spellcasting (and manifesting w/ transparency maybe) and magic items.

So how would you, as a DM, rule if a BoB clone with excess XP uses a True Mind Switch Psi-like Ability (via Archpsion 3.5 conversion I guess) and succeeds? Would my "clone mind" inhabit the target's body forever? Would the target's soul lost its now "clone body"?

Manifesting is, in itself, a Psi-like ability. Stew on that for a moment.

Also, Magic/Psionics transparency is actually a lot more limited than people seem to think it is!
Here's the list:

Psionics-Magic Transparency
Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

When the rule about psionics-magic transparency is in effect, it has the following ramifications.

Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.
Notice how that list does not call out spellcasting as being the same as manifesting? That's because it isn't. The list of things affected by Psionic/Magic transparency is exhaustive.

Also, note that you would need 13th level Wu Jen spellcasting and 17th level Telepath spellcasting, unless you have a StP Erudite give it to you. That's at least a Wu Jen 3/Telepath 7/Cerebremancer 10, so actually you might be able to do it pre-epic?

As for how I would rule it, I would go for both the "Clone Mind" and the "Clone Body" disappearing after the duration is over. Which sucks for the guy whose body you stole, but eh.
Also you totally have better things to do in Epic than a Will save-or-die. I mean really, Make it a WJ3/T7/CM10/Arch-Mage 1 and suddenly you can have your clones make clones who make clones, each of which is a CL21 Telepath! Then have them all try True Mind Switch, since everyone rolls a 1 sometime.

On a related note, this is why Dvaati Psions are such a good idea.