PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #395 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-12-29, 11:15 PM
New comic is up.

Brickwall
2006-12-29, 11:16 PM
Oooh, uh-oh.

Poor Elan. At least Haley is already getting used to speaking again. That was probably the best time to make that mistake.

Fishies
2006-12-29, 11:17 PM
Oh my, in trouble aren't we now.

Mr_Saturn
2006-12-29, 11:18 PM
long waited comic! thanks giant!~

Felinoid
2006-12-29, 11:19 PM
Bwahaha! She smacked him with the clue bat and he STILL doesn't get it! XD Spectacular jokes in this strip, too.

MightyMuenster
Good comic, good comic. So who *is* that Don guy, anyway? Is someone nudging in on Elan's territory?

chionophile
Well... that's not good.

skreweded
2006-12-29, 11:21 PM
I find it very interesting how lightly elan takes this.

You would think he would be freaking out (in a good way)

chionophile
2006-12-29, 11:22 PM
Elan has probably had confessions of love in the past. I bet he's used to it.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-12-29, 11:23 PM
Great. I love than Elan is growing a brain, finally. Haley dosen't seem to be niticing though.

charles
2006-12-29, 11:24 PM
GO HALEY! Find the arrow that kills that skank!

Thog, Give your critically wounded friend there a big hug.

(YAY! I just made "Halfling in the Playground")

mixmastermind
2006-12-29, 11:25 PM
Wow, Elan really can't catch a break, can he?

Mirage_of_Deceit
2006-12-29, 11:26 PM
Well this is an obvious turn of events I bet you the rest of the OotS comes bursting in next comic. Also the line about Elan's clothes made me chuckle :D

Earthstar_Fungus
2006-12-29, 11:26 PM
Ooo, suspenseful! Although I do wonder how Elan managed to be subdued that easily. Perhaps that Cha addition to damage is only useable a certain number of times a day?

Alysar
2006-12-29, 11:28 PM
My prediction

After the fight, after haley leaves the room. What Haley said will sink in.

:elan:: Wait a minute. Haley's in love with me!?

He's not in shock. He's just being Elan.

Brett Wong
2006-12-29, 11:28 PM
Haha, sabines boot on his "mind" awesome comic giant!

ElfLad
2006-12-29, 11:29 PM
Or possibly he was double-teamed and caught off guard?

I mean, he's better than Nale at this point, but Nale was healed and had Sabine on his side. Elan may be more powerful now, but he's still only one level ahead of Nale.

Captain Marvel
2006-12-29, 11:30 PM
Haley's brain has really atrophied during her babble-phase, hasn't it?
I actually missed deciphering the word balloons.
At least it would have made it interesting rather than listen to Haley talkk herself into another mental babble-phase.

Maybe she could blame it on mind control? Puh-lease...

And after having Elan make such a grand comeback to just put him underfoot of Sabine? What? No snappy quips for a succubus whose lover he'd just kicked the stuffing out of?

CM

Mirage_of_Deceit
2006-12-29, 11:30 PM
Even though this is from the last comic does anyone else find it ironic that Sabine has sex with well anyone she wants yet she is calling Haley a skank?

Thexare Blademoon
2006-12-29, 11:32 PM
"I had other stuff on my mind. Sabine's boot, for example"

Did the Dashing Swordsman also give a Witty AC boost? That may explain why Nale didn't yet finish stabbing Elan

SPoD
Ooo, suspenseful! Although I do wonder how Elan managed to be subdued that easily. Perhaps that Cha addition to damage is only useable a certain number of times a day?

Sabine has Damage Reduction, so even with his Cha-to-damage, Elan probably can't hurt her too much. Assuming, of course, that Captain Scoundrel's rapier isn't either silver or cold iron (depending on whether Sabine is a devil or demon). Remember:

:sabine: + a few buff spells > :roy:

Jooky
Where's Thog?!?

Alysar

Or it isn't as effective against demons.

Or maybe when he uses it, the other person's CHA bonus is added to thier save. Nale would be out of luck, but Sabine would have no problem. She is a sex demon after all

Narthon the Bold
2006-12-29, 11:34 PM
Ugg, trying to go back on it all already. She will probably lose her ability to speak again since she refuses to talk straight.

Skyserpent
2006-12-29, 11:35 PM
hm... well, it is true he only has 1 level of Dashing Swordsman...

And Sabine DID survive against Roy for a bit, with buffs true, but Nale is about as good as a Bulls Strength and a Cat's Grace...

mockingbyrd7
2006-12-29, 11:37 PM
Very good, I was pounding my head into the table when Elan was just not getting it. I agree that after the battle, it's going to hit him. It's just that there's so much going on, and after so much stress on his brain, he's is only half-functional.

Suki_the_Pure
2006-12-29, 11:38 PM
Will the drama never end?!

It was funny how calm Elan is about the whole confession thing.

Damn, indeed Haley. Damn indeed...

Fillbert
2006-12-29, 11:38 PM
Yea!!!! Thank you Giant. Great comic, thanks for keeping Haley so..... Haleyish......

Quixoto
2006-12-29, 11:42 PM
Way to go, Haley.:smallfrown:

And way to go, Giant, on the stellar story ark here. Too bad the holidays are slowing it down so much.

Captain Marvel
2006-12-29, 11:43 PM
Bwahaha! She smacked him with the clue bat and he STILL doesn't get it!

Well, to give Elan some credit, this may be due to the class of Dashing Swordsman. It would be necessary for the heroic swordsman to be aloof when confronted with the rescued maiden's words of love.

Besides, it is far better than Elan turning into a silly sappy romantic now. He's got to be 'Han Solo' from episode 4 before he gets to episode 5!

I am enjoying his newfound level of coolness...

CM

EmeraldRose
2006-12-29, 11:44 PM
I just hope they can get out of the mess now. They are evenly matched, even out-matched at this point, 3-2, and with Sabine being extra-planar...Elan is already down. Now is the time for the rest of the team to wonder what has been happening...

Eva
2006-12-29, 11:44 PM
Oh no!! This is really bad news!! You know what this means -- they're going to have to be rescued by the other OOTS members, and THAT means that we're going to have to have a few strips of "while all this was going on..." before getting back to the CRUCIAL question surrounding Haley and Elan....

Darn you, Giant!!!!!

Good strip, though.

... Wait, what happened to Thog?? I bet he'll come in and save the day, having be-friended not-Nale. At least, one can hope....

Gopher
2006-12-29, 11:48 PM
I agree Alysar's speculation. At first I thought he reacted like that because he didn't know what else to do, and there were more urgent things to worry about, but then that's not really like Elan.

It struck me as a little strange that Haley thought the Linear guild would give her time to casually change into her equipment. I guess she's just distracted.

SPoD
2006-12-29, 11:50 PM
It struck me as a little strange that Haley thought the Linear guild would give her time to casually change into her equipment. I guess she's just distracted.

I think she thought they were running away, since Nale had left the room, rather than returning to fight. The way she said, "Let's go get him," makes it seem that way to me, at least.

Gopher
2006-12-29, 11:52 PM
I think she thought they were running away, since Nale had left the room, rather than returning to fight. The way she said, "Let's go get him," makes it seem that way to me, at least.

That may be, but then wouldn't they still need to rush in order to catch up with them in time? Unless she thought they'd already escaped and was talking about hunting them down later.

fwiffo
2006-12-29, 11:55 PM
All right! Lots better than last one. An awkward moment, with both Elan and Haley not quite knowing what to say; and with all that happened in last few minutes, who can blame then. The dialog rings a lot truer than last Nale/Sabine conversation. Excellento.

SPoD
2006-12-29, 11:57 PM
That may be, but then wouldn't they still need to rush in order to catch up with them in time? Unless she thought they'd already escaped and was talking about hunting them down later.

Haley had none of her protective equipment on and didn't have her bow. Why on earth would she go rushing after three of the deadliest foes the OOTS have ever faced unarmed and in a constricting dress?? Sure, it took a minute (literally, one minute, or ten rounds: the time it takes to don leather armor, per the PHB), but it was better than dying.

TigerHunter
Funniest comic in a long time.

Lilly
This made me go EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! As did #393. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Runs off to fan girl over :haley:/:elan: elsewhere*

Alysar
2006-12-30, 12:00 AM
Lilly,

I am shamed in the eyes of my Lord Whedon, but I've seen your avatar several times now and I just now realize who it is.

ElfLad
2006-12-30, 12:02 AM
thog want nale and not-nale to be friends!

krossbow
2006-12-30, 12:03 AM
haley and Elan make a great couple in this one. hah, I love how calm Elan is about it.

to me, its not that He doesn't get it, but come on! Elan has woman jumping all over him ALL the time! look at the new years stuff! Elan just takes these things in stride. Besides, if he feels the same way about Haley, it may just be that he thinks it's understood that he likes her too or something.

As for Elan getting smacked down like that; it was three (maybe two) on one! And one of them was sabine, a primary melee unit, with Nale for Flanking (At which point his sneak attack REALLY comes in). Elan is unarmored, and therefore, not in the best situation (its just one level of dashing hero people).

"Sabine's foot for instance" is one of the best statements ever. I just love how Elan shrugs off getting his butt handed to him (like "Look haley, I found all these free swords; they were in my spleen.")

Maxhavoc
2006-12-30, 12:04 AM
I think I'm the first to point this out, if not, whatever.

There's an extra "you" in the third panel. The current seventh word in the first speech bubble in the third panel should be removed.

Nevrmore
2006-12-30, 12:07 AM
Haley sure is making full use of her working mouth again, isn't she? Stop stealing the spotlight, woman! This arc is about Elan!

Wallyz
Lilly,

I am shamed in the eyes of my Lord Whedon, but I've seen your avatar several times now and I just now realize who it is.

The uh, "Browncoat in the playground" title didn't tip ya off?

Hushdawg
Well, to give Elan some credit, this may be due to the class of Dashing Swordsman. It would be necessary for the heroic swordsman to be aloof when confronted with the rescued maiden's words of love.

Besides, it is far better than Elan turning into a silly sappy romantic now. He's got to be 'Han Solo' from episode 4 before he gets to episode 5!

CM

DUDE! took the words right out of my mouth.

He has that whole Han Solo/Indiana Jones thing going on with the Heroic Swordsman class.

.... so.... wait.... if Elan gets classes in Harrison Ford, does that mean that his acting will get more and more homogenized so that it becomes boring and predictable?

Or does that only happen if Elan takes other roles?

I digress.. a lot..

I think Thog is hanging in the back now trying to figure out which Nale is Nale and which Nale is not-Nale. Becase he must not beat Nale but must beat not-Nale and if Nale and not-Nale look alike now then if Thog beat Nale he will help not-Nale and then not-Nale will not get beat, yet if he beats not-Nale then Nale will be happy and Thog will be sad because not-Nale is nicer to him than Nale.

Prison change Thog.

Alysar
2006-12-30, 12:08 AM
I think I'm the first to point this out, if not, whatever.

There's an extra "you" in the third panel. The current seventh word in the first speech bubble in the third panel should be removed.

Blasphemy! The Giant does not make mistakes! The comics are complete and perfect. The extra 'you' is obviously supposed to be there for reasons that the Giant will make clear at a time he deems appropriate.

:smalltongue:

TigerHunter
2006-12-30, 12:09 AM
I think she just wanted an excuse to just get away from Elan. Changing was the first thing that crossed her mind.

Alysar
The uh, "Browncoat in the playground" title didn't tip ya off?

I saw it. I didn't make the connection.

I shall now go flog myself.

Gopher
Haley had none of her protective equipment on and didn't have her bow. Why on earth would she go rushing after three of the deadliest foes the OOTS have ever faced unarmed and in a constricting dress?? Sure, it took a minute (literally, one minute, or ten rounds: the time it takes to don leather armor, per the PHB), but it was better than dying.

Well yeah, but what really seems odd to me is how casual she was about it. She didn't seem like she was all that concerned about the situation they were in, and just told Elan to wait rather than warn the others or something. I guess I wasn't thinking about it in DnD terms though, and it probably doesn't mean anything. It just seems to me someone in that situation would have their adrenaline up a little higher. (I don't suppose DnD has rules for that now?)

the_tick_rules
2006-12-30, 12:14 AM
all hail haley, queen of indecision and angst.

krossbow
2006-12-30, 12:14 AM
Come on, Haley has people trying to kill her all the time; its just another day at work for her. :smallwink:

I have to admit, if elan stays in his current mode about the relationship, this could get very entertaing, with Haley getting more and more annoyed at him not making any big emotional outbursts (and hurting belkar as he makes rude comments about it of course).

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-12-30, 12:36 AM
Heh. That was perfect. :p

Darkspear
2006-12-30, 12:41 AM
I saw it. I didn't make the connection.

I shall now go flog myself.

If you want to get technical, she's not a browncoat.

Jade_Sabre
2006-12-30, 12:45 AM
I love this one just as much as the last one, which I thought was a fantastic way to return to the one-pagers...easing us back into the shortness, as it were.

Oh, Elan. He's such a wonderful, straightforward person. And Haley! Finally thinking she should maybe be straightforward! And--and Elan! And the outfit! *joins in the damns*

Not-so-long-time-but-still-a-goodly-while lurker, first time poster, just to show some appreciation for how fabulous this is. I love Haley. *is happy Haley has her voice back*

Am I the only one who has spent most of the strip thinking that yes, Elan may not seem very smart, but at the same time bards need a reasonably high intelligence score because they've got so many skills that need points?

Edit: Also, I loved Elan's expression when talking about that "Don" fellow. He DOES love her back...he's just super-smooth about the whole thing. Gah. Super-smooth about everything these days. *wanders off in an Elan!fangirl haze*

theKOT
2006-12-30, 12:49 AM
While the first few panels of this comic are good, Haley-in-crisis strips are getting a bit old. The last joke is pretty Elan, but it just feels a little out of place. This comic seems conceptually strong, but in execution it just doesn't pan out. Still, there are redeeming qualities, such as the thought-bubble gag and Elan's analysis of Haley's breakthrough. Eh, it's a 6/10.

Rinion
2006-12-30, 01:05 AM
While the first few panels of this comic are good, Haley-in-crisis strips are getting a bit old. The last joke is pretty Elan, but it just feels a little out of place. This comic seems conceptually strong, but in execution it just doesn't pan out. Still, there are redeeming qualities, such as the thought-bubble gag and Elan's analysis of Haley's breakthrough. Eh, it's a 6/10. Do you think Giant will bother reading that? He might not take the criticism too well. Oh, well - to each his own, I suppose.

I thought the thought bubble gag was highly amusing.

krossbow
2006-12-30, 01:08 AM
Elan's smoothness is the one thing holding Haley's strips together. But DANG! do they ever hold them together well! :smallbiggrin:

Heh, we will probably do a cutaway scene soon. too bad.

Thexare Blademoon
2006-12-30, 01:09 AM
Rinion, KOT does that all the time. I quite like someone looking at it that way, since it's so different from what I see from a lot of other people.

theKOT
2006-12-30, 01:18 AM
Do you think Giant will bother reading that? He might not take the criticism too well. Oh, well - to each his own, I suppose.

I thought the thought bubble gag was highly amusing.
Sigh.....
The reason I rate comics is not that I think the Giant will read the rating or that I think the rating will have any affect on the comic. I am not trying to influence anything. It is just a fun little exercise I and several others partake in over on the ratings thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28320) for the sake of comparison, quantification, and thought provocation.

Demented
2006-12-30, 01:22 AM
Sweet, sweet, brainless Elan.
At least we know that taking a prestige class hasn't changed him any.
Of course, getting her voice back hasn't changed Haley EITHER.

But aside from all that nonsense, the really important question is....

Where's Thog?

Holy_Knight
2006-12-30, 02:00 AM
Okay, I was trying to quote several people, but my browser is being contrary. So anyway...

I think that Elan does get it now, and he's not being aloof about it. My take is that he's going to tell her that he cares for her too--it's just that he hasn't had a chance because first Haley had so much to say herself, and then he had to contend with Nale and Sabine. So once he actually gets a chance to talk, he's more than likely going to tell Haley how happy he is that she loves him. (Assuming Haley doesn't try to play it off like she was considering.)

On a related note: "I was totally distracted by the whole, "you explicitly saying you were in love with me" thing!" --Loved this line!

I also noticed that Thog was off-panel. Is it possible that (well, spoiler I guess):

Thog may try to stop Nale and Sabine from hurting Elan, since the two of them are friends now? Even though he's loyal to Nale, he might try to save Elan.

Oh, and Lilly, I am extremely envious of your "Browncoat in the Playground" title.

fangthane
2006-12-30, 02:30 AM
Here's a thought, though you really shouldn't read this and I shall spoiler tag it so that you don't inadvertently do so.
What if Sabine were to drain Elan's level of Dashing Swordsman? I'm sure many would hope not, but it could happen.

As far as my own rating on this one, I have to agree largely with the KoT. There were a few good gags (the Austin Powers reprise, Haley's instant and instinctive attempt to deny things) but ultimately there seems to have been little movement in this comic. It's decent, but hardly outstanding and in fairness a lot of that disappointment probably stems from the overall quality (not to mention quantity, in multi-strips) of the recent run. Not every Friday can be a brilliant cliffhanger. It may later become evident that a bit of groundwork is being laid here, but for now, judging it in its immediate context, 6 sounds about right - not great but adequate.

Shadic
2006-12-30, 02:32 AM
Anybody else notice that Elan isn't injured at all?

He doesn't have his weapon, but it just seems as if they subdued him.. Knocked him to the ground and held him there..

If so, there wasn't even a fight between the three of them.

denelian
2006-12-30, 02:48 AM

CM
i like elan now, very happy with the new cool and all

BUT HE IS NOT AT ALL AND CANNOT BE LIKE HAN SOLO!!!

I'm just sayin'.

CerebralStasis
2006-12-30, 03:07 AM
Blasphemy! The Giant does not make mistakes! The comics are complete and perfect. The extra 'you' is obviously supposed to be there for reasons that the Giant will make clear at a time he deems appropriate.

:smalltongue:
In addition to the "you" boo-boo, the broken window that is visible in panel 6 has disappeared in the last panel, even though the perspective is the same.

Tobimaro
2006-12-30, 03:09 AM
Not bad. Haley's (supposed to be) internal dialogue ran a bit too long, but I guess it has to do with the length of time that she had been befuddled. Oh well. :smallsigh:

Anyways, it does make sense about Elan being overwhelmed by Nale and Sabine. The Dashing Swordsman might be good in a one-on-one fight, but Elan has had trouble making Listen checks in the past... But he still finds time to make a quip even while being subdued. Hope that Haley can remember what alchemical arrows hurt Sabine. :smallwink:

Ronald_saveloy
2006-12-30, 04:25 AM

I rather think, that :haley: wanted some time to think about what doing next. Maybe it's a similar thing like the girl always going to toilet when on a date (I'm male - don't ask me why that is so!)

coffeethrall
2006-12-30, 05:36 AM
i like elan now, very happy with the new cool and all

I'm just sayin'.

I know...but did you see how he looks in those new clothes?

I mean, DAMN.

:smallbiggrin:

Jazzvader
2006-12-30, 05:51 AM
I think that he chose those clothes because of the dramatic effect and he wanted to impress Haley. hint hint

I think he has the same feelings as haley but doesn't show them.

Need_A_Life
2006-12-30, 06:32 AM
Really, this comic didn't have the punch to it that I expected :sad:

It's just....

meh

Amon Star
2006-12-30, 06:43 AM
That was a good one, not great (except :elan:), but good.

Even though this is from the last comic does anyone else find it ironic that Sabine has sex with well anyone she wants yet she is calling Haley a skank?

Insults don't have to make sense. Besides, :haley: called :sabine: a skank first.

In addition to the "you" boo-boo, the broken window that is visible in panel 6 has disappeared in the last panel, even though the perspective is the same.

A Wizard did it.

The_Old_Fox
2006-12-30, 06:49 AM
After a night of refeshing adult beverages it is always nice to come home and see a new OotS.

Am I the only one who thinks that the longer :nale: sticks around the closer he is to digging his own grave?

Captain Marvel
2006-12-30, 06:57 AM

I'm just sayin'.
Mostly, I was going for a rogue icon that had transitioned characterwise as he fell in love. Elan, being a bard would appreciate this and not get all goofy with romance.

:haley: I love you, Elan
:elan: I know...

CM

BluesScale
2006-12-30, 06:57 AM
Well this is an obvious turn of events I bet you the rest of the OotS comes bursting in next comic.

Odd that I expected something different. I would have expected a change of scene to build tension and leave us hanging on the whole Haley/Elan relationship. Instead, Giant doesn't shy away from tricky writing.

BTW, Glad to see that thog not hitting not-nale.

Kjata
2006-12-30, 07:08 AM
Me. It is a possibility in my mind that Nale may die(i dont think that needs a spoiler tag, does it?). But i hope that doesnt happen, he is too cool.

Amon Star
2006-12-30, 07:16 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that the longer :nale: sticks around the closer he is to digging his own grave?

I fully agree. A smart villain would quit while he's ahead, before he loses his.

Solmage
2006-12-30, 07:16 AM
Funny! :)

Now she should lie again to get her speech impediment back to really piss off all the fans - muahahahaha

Ok, maybe not.

The Black Prince
2006-12-30, 07:28 AM
Darn It! Why won't Haley really admit to liking Elan. I hope they can win the fight against Nale! I bet the kick his arse!

StarWidget
2006-12-30, 07:46 AM
HALEY, you DUPE! Just tell him!

And... what's happening to :vaarsuvius:, :belkar:, :durkon:, and :roy:?

Come to think of it... when was the last time we *saw* Roy?

Nightmarenny
2006-12-30, 07:47 AM
Sigh.....
The reason I rate comics is not that I think the Giant will read the rating or that I think the rating will have any affect on the comic. I am not trying to influence anything. It is just a fun little exercise I and several others partake in over on the ratings thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28320) for the sake of comparison, quantification, and thought provocation.
Thats ine but it doesn't really seem fair or even sensical to judge such a small part of something larger. each comic is so completly dependant on the pages that came before or after that. Judging just that seems wrong in some way. I mean would you judge one page in a comic book?

mikeejimbo
2006-12-30, 07:51 AM
Heh, Elan almost seems intelligent.

Softmints
2006-12-30, 08:07 AM
Last panel, missing a window?

Idless
2006-12-30, 09:24 AM
that is stalling it... stalling it so much... really I felt this was a filler.

since time passes with the speed of plot she didn't have to make the speech in order for Elan to get pinned down.

okay so a filler here and there is okay, but I just so wish that next update won't be.

...idless

Zephra
2006-12-30, 09:46 AM
now's the cue for roy or V to come in and finish of nale and or sabine. by strip 400, probably. I'm not worried about elan... now hailey has her weapon and armor!

charles
2006-12-30, 10:09 AM
It'd be the first Truly significant character that the Giant has finished off. But I'm thinking that no-one will get killed in this. There's plenty more for Nale to do (probably involving his and Elan's father, not to mention the fact that Sabine is with him because the "evil lords" have seen great potential in his future). Sabine will stick around because she needs to server the "evil lord's" will for the gates and Thog is needed because... well, because...

Oh!

Oh ye GODS NO!!! DON'T DO IT! He deserves a happy ending with a puppy!

Bilbo27
2006-12-30, 10:11 AM
Come on Haley, beat the crap out of Sabine, then show elan how you REALLY feel. He is hot in those new clothes ya know!

Estelindis
2006-12-30, 10:36 AM
This was such a great strip... The way :elan: looked so happy after he summed up his conclusions based on what :haley: said... *beam!* And, of course, the humour was nice: light and witty, but with a couple of sharp points in there too. Super!

cyberwolf247
2006-12-30, 11:09 AM
glad Haley finally confessed her love

too bad Elan's getting his butt kicked now

where's thog? 8)

Skippy
2006-12-30, 11:10 AM
I think this strip was great!! Elan obviously is completely conscious about Haley's feelings but I think everybody is forgetting about old Elan, the slow-thinking one. He finally returned, and while he seems to have succeded with his Listen check, he apparently failed his iniciative check, don't you think? If he hadn't, I think he would have done something about the "explicitly stating that Haley's in love with him", and maybe now they both would be subdued by Nale and Sabine... So maybe it's better for all of us he is a bit slow thinking...
And not, there isn't a missing window in the last panel, because it's a completely different point of the room, the last panel is near the bathroom (or wherever Haley went to don her armor) and not beside the window...

Antina
2006-12-30, 11:27 AM
Nice one!
Happy new year!

Ampersand
2006-12-30, 12:03 PM
You know, all the calls for the rest of the OotS to rush in and save Haley and Elan got me thinking...

It took Haley, V, Durkon, Roy and Thor (adding him in because he quite obviously personally intervened by way of the "haxxed" Control Weather spell)to take down Leeky, and people obviously also seem to think it will take the entire group to deal with Nale, Sabine, and Thog.

What does it say about the OotS and thier level of compotency when they need to stack the odds so heavily in their favor in order to win a fight?

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-30, 12:17 PM
Heh it seems like this is going to be hard for Poor Elan and Haley...I think they need backup from V or Durkron or their toast...either of them would help :smalleek:

Adeptus
2006-12-30, 01:24 PM
Hmm... :/

Poor stoopid Haley. That wasn't very entertaining for me :( But like Xykon says, they can't all be winners.

Have a great new year Rich and readers!

theKOT
2006-12-30, 01:42 PM
Thats ine but it doesn't really seem fair or even sensical to judge such a small part of something larger. each comic is so completly dependant on the pages that came before or after that. Judging just that seems wrong in some way. I mean would you judge one page in a comic book?
Um...
Each OOTS is pretty self-contained, with values all it's own. They typically include their own jokes and their own piece of plot movement. The rating sums up the enjoyment level of each comic.
I've had these discussions before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4931), and I'll have em again...

aanimo
2006-12-30, 02:04 PM
You know, all the calls for the rest of the OotS to rush in and save Haley and Elan got me thinking...

It took Haley, V, Durkon, Roy and Thor (adding him in because he quite obviously personally intervened by way of the "haxxed" Control Weather spell)to take down Leeky, and people obviously also seem to think it will take the entire group to deal with Nale, Sabine, and Thog.

What does it say about the OotS and thier level of compotency when they need to stack the odds so heavily in their favor in order to win a fight?

Recall, though, that in the fight against Leeky:

Belkar was unable to help, because of curse and Yokyok
Roy was busy battling Sabine
Elan was knocked out by Thog and Nale

The only 2 party members actually fighting leeky were Vaarsuvius and Durkon, one of whom has a paralyzing fear of trees (physically they were fighting Leeky and a bunch of trees protected by druid power)

So, in fact, the OOTS managed to beat the Linear Guild AND Leeky :)

Terraxos
2006-12-30, 02:04 PM
Just posting here to say how glad I am to see Haley finally back in her original outfit. I don't know how long she's been wearing the dress - probably not that many strips, actually - but it *feels* like a long time. We're gradually getting old Haley back again, and the strip is all the better for it.

(Her old outfit looks much better on her, anyway. :smallsmile:)

She's still overthinking things, though. Compared to Haley's conflicted monologues, Elan's directness and willingness to say exactly what he's thinking comes as a breath of fresh air. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but despite being a fictional comic character, Elan really is my hero!

Blood
2006-12-30, 02:07 PM
Elan seems to have increased his intelligence score. He actually deduced what Haley said, and apparently understood it, although I don't know why he didn't react to it immediately. Shock, maybe? Or maybe it's a subtle way for Rich to say that he did hear her and interpret her, but not conclude about what she said. Either way, we'll find out on Monday, I guess.

I'm surprised Thog isn't fighting. Maybe he is, he's just off-screen, but somehow I'm hoping he'll be stuck in indecision between helping Nale or helping Elan. :smallbiggrin:

Ahh, it's so good to have Haley back. And now the plot is even deeper. I wonder what'll happen next? There's so many possible scenarios...

PaladinFreak
2006-12-30, 02:08 PM
I couldn't agree more Terraxos. Elan, despite is apparantly small mental capacity, he has done an enourmas amount of good. I think he has really come into his own in the last few strips, something I have been hoping for for a long time.

SIMU-STAB!

Nekkira
2006-12-30, 02:34 PM
Fun comic, like the 'For once one of us made a Listen check'

AyuVince
2006-12-30, 03:26 PM

Inverted ethics. For Sabine, a woman is a skank if she doesn't have frequent illicit sex.

Shadic
2006-12-30, 03:58 PM
As people said before, look at the sixth frame, and then the last frame. There is a window missing.

I hope that Haley gets an action against Nale, kicks Elan his rapier, and then a fight ensues.

I believe that they'll just cut away to the rest of the party though.

1337_master
2006-12-30, 04:36 PM
Inverted ethics. For Sabine, a woman is a skank if she doesn't have frequent illicit sex.

Actually, It was Haley that was Frequently calling SABINE a skank

Dragonrider
2006-12-30, 06:15 PM

It's kinda back-and-forth

Dazdya
2006-12-30, 08:05 PM
I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but despite being a fictional comic character, Elan really is my hero!

Despite? What do you mean, despite?

Atalan
2006-12-31, 12:36 AM
... I hope I'm not the only person agreeing with Haley's "Damn!" Is it even possible to have a crush on a stick figure? :smallredface:

fractal
2006-12-31, 12:41 AM
Right, Haley is the dye-job.

The Hammer of Thor
2006-12-31, 03:16 AM
At last, Haley can speak again. That was getting really tedious. Great Comic.

Jade_Sabre
2006-12-31, 04:19 AM
... I hope I'm not the only person agreeing with Haley's "Damn!" Is it even possible to have a crush on a stick figure? :smallredface:

Right there with you, my friend. Oh my. That new outfit...t3h smex, indeed. :amused:

Estelindis
2006-12-31, 07:02 AM
Right there with you, my friend. Oh my. That new outfit...t3h smex, indeed.
I also agree - I realise the ridiculousness of saying this about a stick figure, but he looks positively swoon-worthy. :smallbiggrin:

SpartacusThe2nd
2006-12-31, 01:23 PM
Yeah we know...
waiting for #396

MonkOfAnarchy
2006-12-31, 05:00 PM
:haley: I LOVE YOU!!!
:elan: (like a han solo pimp) I know.

MMM, you one bad mutha SHUT YO MOUTH!
Rekax baby! I'm talkin bout :elan:
Can you dig it?

krossbow
2006-12-31, 06:44 PM

Well, the order is composed of a fighter (the infamous eternal joke of D&D), a Bard (also a joke, though usually aknowleged a lot more as being useful for support), a dual wielding ranger (dual wielding ranger builds are almost as ridiculed as a fighter), A ranged rouge (good build) and then two of the strongest D&D classes, the wizard and the cleric. You'll note that it is often Durkon and V who randomly go Goku on people and win the battles (Xycon's lair, Durkon rightous mights and kills the goblins, Belkar sadly pokes their corpses with his dagger)

A cheesed druid will smack the crap out of everyone on that list except V and Durkon AT THE SAME TIME.

I think they should be proud of that battle.

Besides, the Linear guild characters in the room aren't exactly prizes themselves.

On Elan being unharmed: He probably just got grappled, then pinned by Sabine. His being held on the floor by Sabine seems to fit that, and he might not of been keeping his escape artist ranks that high since samantha, while Sabine is definitely a melee fighter.

Cifer
2007-01-01, 12:27 AM
Krossbow is mainly right. Anyway, it was mainly "Haley and V being ineffective against Leeky" and "Durkon mopping the floor with that druid git", with Roy killing a weakened animal companion. The former characters didn't really do much to win the fight. The main fight was a one-on-one between Durkon and Leeky, which Durkon won, despite good old "Oh, right. Druid. Nevermind then...". Oh, and it was Clash of the CoDzillas anyway.

Now, however, we would have Roy (who we know to be superior to Nale in close combat (*), at least equal to Thog and has good wisdom, resulting in good will saves), Durkon (CoDzilla) and V (probably the weakest member at the moment because of the situation being close combat - he/she won't be able to AoE very much without hitting allies...).
Sounds relatively easy to me.

(*) Ok, maybe not superior, but he gives in to the Dark Side for those special occassions, resulting in the same thing.

OOTSroxs
2007-01-01, 01:04 AM
I think im goin to have to real all of 'em in order to talk 'bout OOTS

Dervag
2007-01-01, 09:33 AM
Haley's brain has really atrophied during her babble-phase, hasn't it?Total inability to communicate with the rest of humanity will do that to you sometimes.

I'm inclined to agree that Elan is pinned, rather than having been beaten up with damage. The Giant is pretty good about indicating damage with little red lines and bruises, and Elan doesn't have any of those.

By the same indication, Nale isn't completely healed (look at his chest).

BlythraB
2007-01-01, 01:30 PM
Finally, the at least more-modest armor is back!!! "Sabine's boot, for example". hahaha!

Bluesilver
2007-01-01, 03:52 PM
Great. I love than Elan is growing a brain, finally. Haley dosen't seem to be niticing though.
Yeah. But how did Elan get his butt kicked so easily?

Klinn
2007-01-01, 05:30 PM
Anyone else praying for 396 to NOT be a cutaway?

krossbow
2007-01-01, 05:57 PM
Anyone else praying for 396 to NOT be a cutaway?

Definitely.

AyuVince
2007-01-01, 06:06 PM

Well, he only has one level in Dashing Swordsman. And it's two against one (or even three, thog probably helped). Besides, I doubt that witty punchlines work against Sabine, who herself uses Charisma in fights.

Gandal
2007-01-01, 06:06 PM

Sabine's damage reduction, probably.

Tussy the Druid
2007-01-01, 06:07 PM
I wonder what thog will do. Will he rescue elan, or will he put a pounding on him, or will he stay out of it, or what? Me thinks thog has a major decision to make.