PDA

View Full Version : How would I RP this?

Howling Winds
2013-10-02, 06:08 AM
So, I'll admit it right now, I'm stumped as to how to RP the following scenario and not spray cheese all over it.

My character found an evil sword (wielded by an evil Wizard with minions a plenty). He walked around for weeks (in game time) trying to figure out a way to destroy it (he failed) and the sword slowly took over his body (like a curse) with hauntings and voices etc. Eventually, this all came to a head and the spirit that possessed the sword was destroyed and the wizzard killed, supposedly freeing the sword of it's evilness.

But, recently ( as in several game days ago) the sword has passed to a different PC who has no knowledge (as this character wasn't "around" during the first series of hauntings) of the sword's power and previous "displays". My character is quite nervous because the new PC is highly attached to this blade and has slept with it close by for several nights now.

My character has finally decided he can't stand it any longer and has said, essentially,"we need to talk, it's about that blade you have. There's...some things you might wanna know...". Any advice on making the "substantive" part of this conversation interesting/creepy/meaningful?

As an aside, the DM has not confirmed that the evil ever actuary completely left the sword...i.e. it could be resurrected somehow...

Arkhosia
2013-10-02, 06:18 AM
Referencing past events. Was the wizard conflict well-known?

Howling Winds
2013-10-02, 10:57 AM
Yes it was. It was a big deal at the time.

Tegu8788
2013-10-02, 11:18 AM
Is it.... Precious?

Is it secret? Is it safe?

honestly, it depends a ton on how you've played your character, and the relationship you have with the other character, and the sword. Maybe you want to save the other guy, keep him from going through what happened to you, or maybe you want him to fall, become corrupted, so that you're party will help you kill him and you can get the sword back. Without a ton of info, really tailored is a challenge to give.

Howling Winds
2013-10-03, 01:31 AM
It's...*thinks about it* it's (hopefully) safe actually, though no one (but the DM) cna really say how "safe" it is! Though, it was precious to the evil wizard that owned it and I suppose my character's out look on it all is,"I don't wan to see anyone else go through what I did!"

Also thanks for the referencing past events! When I write the post on it I will be sure to do that! Thanks so much!

docHigh
2013-10-03, 01:44 AM
I suppose my character's out look on it all is,"I don't wan to see anyone else go through what I did!"

So state out that the sword used to drive you insane and from the looks, it is doing the same to the other guy. Or discuss this with the rest of the party in-char (but leave the sword owner aside). Let the decision be group's. Or if you haven't told the others of this sword influence.. well, it'll be interesting.

Now.. if you were evil.. you'd get a co-conspirator :smallamused:

Yakk
2013-10-03, 09:23 AM
Bah, spray cheese on it.

Try to steal the sword back, rather than trusting them to return it. They clearly lack the ability to withstand its influence, only you are strong enough.

Ghost Nappa
2013-10-03, 09:28 AM
Tell the most LG member of the party besides the two of you to hide and eavesdrop on the conversation in case things go south. You are rather clearly concerned with this both in-and-out of character, so covering your bases is a good first step. If a fight breaks out of the sword, having back-up to prevent things from becoming too PvP would be nice.