PDA

View Full Version : Magic of Incarnum, sweet deal at Amazon

Maerok
2006-12-29, 11:23 PM
I was checking out Amazon.com today because I got a ton of gift cards. When I was poking around the DnD section as I often do, I saw that MoI was $4.99, so I picked that up right away because it looked interesting and at five bucks it was worth a shot. Has anyone given this book a lot of play time? It seems pretty cool, but I wonder if it works well with other sources (say, if I was to pop an Incarnum assassin into a campaign all of a sudden). I'll definitely make an attempt to stat out an Incarnum Dragon, using the Draconomicon I bought as well. :smallbiggrin:

(I'm interested in taking a look at some of the necromancy based stuff like the necrocarnate.)

Skyserpent
2006-12-29, 11:38 PM
I'ts slightly underpowered but nonetheless an interesting idea, I personally don't much care for how they present "Incarnum" gear in some of their pictures... eh, the shiny helmet never really "did it" for me...

Though a close buddy of mine LOVES it...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-30, 05:03 AM
My good friend loves it and has designed most of a campaign around it. From what I've gathered an alternate reality where incarnum replaces arcane and divine magic as being both internal and external at the same time because it revolves around the soul and is thus property of the planes and thier bodies.

A Pointy Object
2006-12-31, 01:06 AM
Yeah, Incarnum is a great read. Especially the Soulcaster.

For five bucks, I entirely suggest getting it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-31, 01:13 AM
$5? Most certainly. I won mine in a contest over on Wizard's fortunately. Standard retail price? No, it wouldn't be worth that.

I can only warm to bits and pieces of the book. Concept is great, execution just annoys me. Basically you turn soulstuff into wearable items. Wee.

I do though like the Totemist class in particular, and a good bit of the monsters are fantastic (along with having some of the most UNfantastic right next beside them... I mean, honestly, who came up the dissolution ooze? The guy needs fired...), but on the whole I think it needs rewritten.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-12-31, 01:19 AM
I HATE to be a pendant, (as i hate em myself) but this particular case has me wondering...

The guy needs fired...), but on the whole I think it needs rewritten.

Boycotting the words "to be"?

SORRY.

Good question, I was looking at the book myself, I might have to go grab it for 5$ I am loathe to include ANOTHER magic system into my games though... what with psionics, arcane, divine, and then the warlocks invocations...

Thanks for the tip off anyway!

ghost_warlock
2006-12-31, 03:28 AM
My brother was raving about Magic of Incarnum when it first came out but my attitude was always like "Meh, if you want to buy it go ahead!" Needless to say, that didn't happen... But, for $5, I'll add it to my collection. :smallsmile: And because I have an Amazon Prime subscription, I don't to pay shipping again until February. Complete Scoundrel, anyone? :smallbiggrin:

As a side note, I just picked up Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords yesterday. I haven't completely finished reading it, but I like what I've seen so far.

I don't have a problem adding new magic systems to my game, I've always preferred a laissez faire approach to character builds. As long as I have access to the book and can learn about the system I'm willing to let a player give it a try.

Fizban
2006-12-31, 05:03 AM
I got hold of one for a while, and I must say it was a bit of a letdown. I love the idea of using soulstuff, but it's pretty much just all there. You go through and find the good soulmelds and that's pretty much it. You don't have to worry about learning any since just like divine magic you already know all there is to know, but this list is shorter. As VT said, cool idea, poor execution.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-31, 08:14 AM
I HATE to be a pendant, (as i hate em myself) but this particular case has me wondering...

Boycotting the words "to be"?
Ummm, no, just using standard American english... 'to be' is not actually required in that sentence.

Yuki Akuma
2006-12-31, 08:16 AM
Ummm, no, just using standard American english... 'to be' is not actually required in that sentence.

...Yes, it is, actually. :smallconfused: Otherwise it sounds like he needs something called "fired", as if it were a noun, which doesn't make any sense.

Now, 'firing' would have worked perfectly. 'Fired' doesn't, really.

English is full of really odd rules, but there you go.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-31, 09:41 AM
'He needs killed' is an example of it ending in verbage. 'He needs fired' is the same deal. May not be 'proper english', but its at least as well used.

Matthew
2006-12-31, 01:21 PM
I have never heard anyone speak like that. Interesting. He needs killing or needs Firing, sure, but "he needs killed / fired?" Must be out of the loop.

The Valiant Turtle
2006-12-31, 06:12 PM
I rather like MoI. It's interesting. The main problem is that it's very hard to figure out what role a straight incarnate will play in a party. Most of the MoI classes probably work best for Multi-classing. It's especially good for a skill-monkey.

One thing to watch for if you start out at low levels. At level 1 the most common build can do a 3d6 acid ranged touch attack (or 3d6 electric melee touch attack) as often as he wants. That really dominates for the first few levels.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-31, 07:10 PM
$5?! Wow!

Thanks for pointing it out. I have now just placed my order. (The funny part being that I had just jokingly told my brother I needed to get Magic of Incarnum to get full value out of the copy of Dragon Magic he got me for Christmas, what with the new soulmelds. :smallbiggrin:)

ImperiousLeader
2006-12-31, 08:22 PM
Incarnum is pretty impressive at lower levels, but it loses a lot of punch at higher levels. I'd only really consider playing a totemist though, the Incarnate lacks punch at higher levels, and the Soulborn doesn't interest me.

Bears With Lasers
2006-12-31, 08:26 PM
The incarnate, especially with a small Rogue dip, can make an excellent skill monkey.

The Totemist with Landshark Boots is great in many-natural-attacks builds.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-31, 11:50 PM
One thing to watch for if you start out at low levels. At level 1 the most common build can do a 3d6 acid ranged touch attack (or 3d6 electric melee touch attack) as often as he wants. That really dominates for the first few levels.
Not much more than a goliath with a Large greatsword. Same damage plus strength and a half. Touch ACs aren't much worse than regular ACs at low levels, and the goliath's strength will help make up the difference anyway.

Bears With Lasers
2006-12-31, 11:57 PM
Technically, the Goliath would be ECL 2.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-01, 12:04 AM
And level two is one of the "first few levels."

But thanks. I couldn't remember if Goliaths were LA +0 or +1.

Gralamin
2007-01-01, 05:49 AM
First of all Necrocarnate is broken:

1. Take all 13 levels of Necrocarnate
2. Get the feat that gives you hp for essentia
3. Head to a place abundant with life (like a forest)
4. Order your necrocarnaium zombies to hunt critters and bring you their corpses.
5. Sleep for 8 hours
6. Assuming The 2 Zombies bring pack 60 Corpses, you then use your ritual ability to gain essentia from the corpses.
7. You now have ~ 60 essentia for the day. Enjoy having between 60 extra HP, and having all your soulmelds filled with essentia