PDA

View Full Version : Council of Thieves [IC]

Droark
2013-10-02, 03:45 PM
The Council of Thieves

OOC Thread
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16143092#post16143092)

Westcrown is a beacon of Chelish culture, learning, and power, or it was once. The great city has fallen from its throne ever since the death of the god Aroden many years ago. The city was his expected place of return, and had even created a massive plaza, the Arodennama and statue to herald his return. After the god's death, it was a few short years until the church of Aroden crumbled and the Arodennama was abandoned. In the vacuum that was left, a civil war erupted and the diabolic House of Thrune emerged as the dominant power in Cheliax.

Predictably, this was not a happy event for the capital. After 30 years of blood, the first order of business by the new power was to move the capital and royal court north from Westcrown to Egrorian. The remaining nobles were mostly of old families with deep ties to the city, content to rot in their festering home.

For a time Westcrown remained a diverse and flourishing court, but the splendor that had been typical of Westcrown quickly waned. Also, lacking the royal court, many of the merchants and commoners who had made a living serving the wealthy elite of the city were forced to move on. The carcass of the once noble city of Westcrown was left for vultures to prey on.

More recently the city is a shadow of its former beauty. A curfew has been put into effect as shadow beasts roam the streets at night. The wealthier quarters have magical lights in place to repel the darkness and the beasts. Patrols of guards roam the streets at night, but in the slums many are left wanting as thieves, beasts, and worse comb the streets.

Frosty
2013-10-02, 04:23 PM
In the doorway to a somewhat fancy restaurant:

"WE DON'T LIKE YOUR KIND HERE!" a loud, angry shout can be heard as a large, hulkish figure appears. The half-orc bouncer, bulging with muscles, carries a small, bald goblin with red eyes (in other words, a typical goblin) in one hand, and a MEAN-looking club in the other. Deciding to invent baseball, the half-orc tosses the goblin into the air and then BASEBALL swings as hard as he can!

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAWHEEEEEOOOOMPH!" shrieks the goblin at the top of his lungs as he literally SAILS 10 ft through the air, landing hard on the street. Amazingly, to the surprise of any that can see him, the goblin literally *bounced* as he hit the ground, and actually ends up standing, if a bit dazed. "Myrrrhuh...myrrrhuh..." mumbles the goblin as he sways for a few seconds. More amazingly, the goblin appears to be...unhurt.

A few seconds after that a...large dog(?) races out of the restaurant door and goes to the goblin's side.

QuidEst
2013-10-02, 04:39 PM
"I am Titus Keenan Matthias. I have studied under the wizards of the most noble and ancient House of Leroung. So you will at least do me the courtesy of taking my five silver and giving me a room. I assure you that it will be left cleaner than I found it." T.K. told the inn keeper in a sharp tone. There was a muffled thump outside, loud enough that he was willing to sacrifice some small sliver of dignity and look. Afterward, he snapped his fingers and was suddenly facing the innkeeper again, a few feet closer without moving. "And you appear to be next door to a small goblin invasion. Look, I am a busy man, and I doubt you will be getting much business with that going on next door."

Morbis Meh
2013-10-02, 08:05 PM
This truly was a new experience for dog! For the most part they had stuck to the country keeping on the down low but the day finally came when they ventured into THE CITY. The way Mog had talked about it it sounded like an extremely exciting place with all sorts of foods and places to sniff though the little guy did mention that people would probably not like him. This statement puzzled Dog, sure Mog was slightly hideous, had terrible breath, didn't bathe at regular intervals or have the wordsmithing capabilities of a poet but he was FUN and he bounced like Dog's BALL! Which was SOOOOOOOOOO exciting OMFGOSH! Mog also was really nice to Dog bestest Master so far and he fed Dog well OMG they gorged and feasted all the time! Sure it usually involved Mog getting knocked around a bit but it didn't seem to hurt him and once a goblin was noticed no one would ever spot Dog sneaking into the kitchens.

Today was no different as the larger, greener and smellier version of dog batted out into the horizon, oh boy the commotion it had caused was AWESOME! People were running around a screaming all excited like the scents of everything were so distracting Focus Dog we have a mission here! Normally they wouldn't mind going in and paying but recently they gave most of their spending money to some poor freed slave and they currently lacked the funds for a meal, hence the ruse. Dog went straight for the place where all of the good smells were coming from and quickly darted in between the legs of a fat man with fur growing out of his nose Big people are so odd... they have small animals growing out of their noses and don't eat them... maybe he's keeping it as a snack for later? HOLD ON HERE, EYE'S ON THE PRIZE! The massive dog stood up on his hind legs causing him to tower over anyone around him, as well as scare the living bejeezus out of the entire kitchen staff, but he saw what he came for: A massive hunk and half cooked meat. Dog deftly dodged anyone in his way as he snatched forth the tasty half charred carcass of some long dead animal Why do they always insist on ruining perfectly good meat?!

Burst through the doors of the inn, Dog notes that Mog has finally landed and came to a complete stop. He turns his head and looks at Big Green and Ugly "WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING WITH THAT YOU FLEE BITTEN MUTT?" Dog's face instantly curls into a horrifying pose, revealing rows of razor sharp teeth and narrowing his near flaming yellow eyes. The loud growl being emitted was enough to make the big one's face blanch noticeably before he decided to rush back inside. With that problem solved, Dog trots proudly to the foot of his master then drops their lunch on Mog's stomach before moving to Mog's face to lick it.

Frosty
2013-10-02, 08:55 PM
On the street, in front of the restaurant:

Mog dusts himself off (which is the most cleaning he'll do today), takes the hunk o' meat, and pets Dog on the head. "Mog's Dog do good! Yes yes...BIG meat today. We no go hungry!" Moving to the side of the road, he squats down examines their prize. Half-cooked, just the way he likes it. Raw meat is fine too but some cooking and spices just adds a little something extra to the flavor.

"Dog is such a good companion. Me not know why me waz fraid o' dogs before. Me was silly!"

He even holds out the haunch of meat to Dog, letting Dog take the first bite. Then he takes a big bite himself (his mouth can open INCREDIBLE wide), and then back to Dog. They eat the meal in altenrating bites. At the end, he produces a medium-sized chunk of cheese he had acquired. "Heh, me got somethin EXTRA tonight. Before big green throw me out, me swiped hunk o' CHEESE from table!" The goblin holds it out for Dog to smell, and to eat if he wants to.

Droark
2013-10-02, 09:04 PM
Mog and Dog

As Mog and Dog enjoy their procured cuisine, they may notice that the townsfolk have ceased running, creating a wide berth from them, yet watching them all the same. It's eerily quiet for the moment, although the rush and bustle of the city continues in the adjacent streets, oblivious to the ruckus caused by the two.

T.K.

The man rocks back in response to T.K.'s sudden change in position, but gathers himself quickly before retorting, "If you are such a busy man, then don't waste your time here. I told you, we do not accept your kind here. Perhaps the goblin-invaded establishment will do you well."

Frosty
2013-10-02, 09:10 PM
Mog Dog-Tamer waves to the locals in what he hopes is a friendly manner, and goes back to eating.

QuidEst
2013-10-02, 09:50 PM
T.K. grimaced, but turned to leave. For a port town, Westcrown was unpleasantly close-minded. Or perhaps the man was just a particular disservice to the honor of the city. His grimace intensified as he realized what he was leaving into. Why was there a goblin here? They'd let a goblin walk around the streets before they'd let him pay for a room. Still, he wasn't going to convince the inn keeper to take his money to do his job, and Shelyn frowned on the sort of magic that would make up the man's mind for him. He stepped out into the crowd, keeping his tail curled loosely about one of his legs so that it wouldn't get stepped on.

On his shoulder, Romulus bristled, and T.K. could see why. That was a big dog, like the riding dogs free halflings from other nations sometimes had. Just in case, he made sure he was prepared. Some dogs were trained to hunt rats- although one this large would be a terrible choice- and he had four rats on him at present.

Readied action for five-foot teleport, trigger being the dog going for him.

Mathemagics
2013-10-02, 10:05 PM
Arinna sighed as she made her way down the crowded streets. It had already been a busy day, and it didn't look to be getting any easier in the foreseeable future. Rubbing her hand against her temples distractedly, she suddenly slowed her pace upon hearing a commotion of some sort. Following the sounds, she rounded a corner and found herself at the back of a crowd watching something in an odd silence.

Of course, with her modest height, there wasn't much to see, unless you were interested in looking at peoples' backs for some reason. So, politely as she could manage, the templar nudged her way through towards the front of the crowd to see what was going on. As she nears the front, she picks up on a voice that sounds unpleasantly familiar, and a feeling of dread begins to grow on her as she draws closer.

No... No... Please no Goddess... don't let it be...

She swore mentally as she finally made it through the crowd and took in the sight of the goblin and oversized dog happily sitting in the middle of the street eating on a large piece of nearly-raw meat.

Why?! Of all the things it could have been! Why did it have to be those two?! What did I do to deserve this?!

She half-buried her face in her hand, the frustration of it all rendering her unable to handle the situation in front of her for the time being.

Frosty
2013-10-02, 11:24 PM
So what exactly was the history between Arinna and the Mog-Dog duo? You had to do damage control after one of our escapades?Mog notices the ratfolk. Now that's something rare. He's used to people staring at him, and goblins are relatively common. "Calm yourself, Dog. I know youz be liking rat meat, but me thinks this not for eating."

Morbis Meh
2013-10-03, 09:01 AM
Dog lifts his muzzle up and takes a whiff of this item called 'cheese' he had heard of it and it certainly looked appetizing but the odour emanating from it was god awful. There had been a reason it was left out in the open but Mog's standards for food were rather low... Dog reared his head back and covered his nose with one of his massive paws whining as the potent scent stung his delicate nostrils. Soon another odour suddenly appeared, a familiar odour, this one was linked to a very specific memory and Dog contemplated it origin while gazing around for the source. When his eyes rested on the dour metal midget maiden Dog let out an audible whine attempting to signal to his master that it was probably best that they leave.

Though when Mog commented on his apparent cullinary preferences, Dog let out a growl followed with a yelp of disgust Speak for yourself Master, you're the one who insisted on me finding rats you glutton, I only ate them because I was hungry....

Noticing that Mog was too focused on the giant bipedal rat Dog barked and began nipping at his master trying to gain his attention. The metal maiden may have let them go last time but that's only because he smoothed things over... Women are such suckers for puppy eyes hehehe.

Droark
2013-10-03, 10:20 AM
The crowd begins to move once more, T.K. and Arinna may note murmurs of general discontent and disbelief with what was happening, and in particular how far the city has fallen. Most, if not all of the onlookers begin to go about their business once more, giving the sideshow a wide berth.

However, not soon after the crowd disperses, Arinna feels a top on her shoulder and hears a quiet, but certainly feminine voice. "Excuse me, ma'am, may I have a moment of your time?" If Arinna looks, she would see a short woman, with curly scarlet hair and clothed in a drab, muddy brown robe which hides most of her body. There is a slight smile on her lips, almost expectant in nature.

Mathemagics
2013-10-03, 11:40 AM
Arinna snaps out of her momentary depression at the touch and turns around to face the speaker. Attempting to use a tone which is more polite than how she currently feels, she replies.

"Hmm? Yes, what is it?"

Making a Sense Motive here to see if I can discern what she might want at a glance.
[roll0]

Frosty
2013-10-03, 01:04 PM
Mog, still busy stuffing his face with stinky cheese, gives Dog a slightly annoyed look. "Whut!? You didn't want any cheese. Now youz want some?" he says as Dog nips him.

Morbis Meh
2013-10-03, 01:36 PM
By the giant red ball in the sky! Why is Master so thick? Dog grabs hold of Mog's tunic and begins alternating in pulling him towards the Metal Maidon or Iron Maiden if you prefer XD and using his snout to point towards her.

QuidEst
2013-10-03, 02:00 PM
T.K. considered his options. It could be a while before he found a decent place to stay, and he didn't care to be out after curfew given the locals' attitude toward non-humans. The sort of magic required to conjure a temporary domicile was well beyond his grasp at this point. Theoretically, he could find some tunnel to hole up in, but that was not going to happen. He could ask the short woman… she looked local enough, and at this point, he was willing to pay 20% over the cost of the room to locate it, putting it at a total of 6sp. Distasteful, but it was good to figure this out now. It meant he'd likely be employing a frontman for his shop. Not that it was a bad idea to begin with- get somebody with a little bardic training and you could sell quite a bit.

Droark
2013-10-03, 02:49 PM
The woman glances at the overly large dog and his goblin over Arinna's shoulder. "I think I may have a proposition that may interest you. Can you gather the odd couple behind you, along with that furry scholar as well?" She gestures at T.K.. "I know it may seem strange, but please humor me." Her tone is friendly enough, and her smile returns as she finishes speaking.

Arinna
Applying your sense motive before she said anything, she seemed to want you to do something for her. Afterwards, she doesn't seem to be hiding anything.

QuidEst
2013-10-03, 03:28 PM
T.K. blinked in surprise. He was having difficulty thinking of any position that could interest both him and the motley duo. Well, a sinecure aside. And if you were getting a job without responsibilities, it was a job with a cost. Still, he was a conjuror. He knew how to spot diabolical deals. The nice thing was that they often came with perks up front to win you over. Stay for those, leave without signing anything… it might be enough to get started on. "Very well, ma'am. You seem to have every confidence you will be able to persuade me, so I am willing to listen."

Frosty
2013-10-03, 03:35 PM
Mog finally takes a look at where Lassie Dog is pointing, and he is immediately suspicious. Mog remembers seeing this short woman in armor before. What does she want now? He'll fight to the death before being a slave again!

Mathemagics
2013-10-03, 03:49 PM
Arinna looks back over her shoulder at the bizarre pair with an expression that clearly conveys the feeling of "Do I have to?". Sighing, she strides over towards them, glaring all the while.

"Oi. You two. You do realize you're going to attract all kinds of trouble just sitting in the middle of the street like that? You aren't trying to have the whole town after you, right? Also- "

She tilts her head back towards the strange woman.

"-she wanted to talk to the both of you for some reason. Best go see what."

Also, are you sure Mog would think of her as short... given he's a tiny little goblin? I'd imagine that all big people look "big" to him and are different to differentiate height-wise.

Morbis Meh
2013-10-03, 03:57 PM
Dog moves over to the metal maiden I really should find some way to get her name... and promptly sits down in front of her. Now towering over the poor woman, Dog tilts his head while looking down and sticks his paw out to her as a sign of acknowledgement. To be honest the middle of the street was as about as good as anywhere else it didn't matter where you were, if you stuck out like Mog and him people knew where you were at all times.

Frosty
2013-10-03, 04:15 PM
"You! Strong Pretty! Why youz follow me? Youz be wantin' trouble? Me not have to do what you say. Most tall folks wants ta hurt me an' Dog! They SAY they want talk, but then usually it be things like 'DIE Goblin DIE' followed by beatings." The goblin seems kind of paranoid.

Mathemagics
2013-10-03, 04:53 PM
Throwing her hands in the air in frustration, the templar turns on her heel and walks away from the pair once more.

"Fine then, have it your way! I have better things to do than sit around keeping an eye on you two all the time. Do what you please!"

Returning her attention to the stranger, she crosses her arms with more than just a hint of defiance and aggravation. But she does actually stick around for the time being to see what happens, rather than following the impulse to just storm off and forget about the whole encounter.

Droark
2013-10-03, 08:16 PM
Said stranger's smile widens into a cheerful grin. Her demeanor relaxed, she walks past Arinna, pausing to offer Mog a sweet roll, while she produces a ball of stitched linen for Dog. She gazes at all of you once more, "If you all could trust me with just a bit more of your time, I would like us to speak in a place more cozy. Privacy and all that." She turns, and begins to walk down the street to the west.

Frosty
2013-10-03, 09:12 PM
A sweet roll! Whoa! People never stop to give goblins these kinda nice foods! The aroma intrigues Mog, and he takes a bite. Instantly salivating, he devours the rest of it in one bite. "Oooh TASTY...can me haz more? Come, Dog. Maybe nice tall pretty not in metal has more tasty food for us..." The goblin starts ambling after the woman. It doesn't take much to catch Mog's attention.

Mathemagics
2013-10-03, 11:03 PM
Arinna moves to follow the stranger, though at a bit of a distance, and she makes doubly sure not to get to close to the goblin or dog. She already had enough testing her patience these days, she did not wish to add to that any more than she had to. Part of her wondered if she should just leave now and write this whole encounter off as a waste of time, but at the same time she had to admit that she was intrigued, just a little bit.

Morbis Meh
2013-10-04, 09:09 AM
Dog gingerly sniffs at the ball then licks the kind woman's face before accepting the ball and walking along. Dog was slightly put out that the metal maiden didn't accept his gesture maybe she was rusting this time of year and couldn't move properly? That was no real matter, Dog just followed his master and eyed that sweet roll. He was tempted to snatch it for himself but that was BAD dog behaviour and would be grounds for punishment... Dog could still recall the cruel sting of the nine tail for disobedience.

QuidEst
2013-10-04, 09:43 AM
T.K. was rather amused to see how well the woman handled the matter of the goblin and the dog. It would be interesting to see how he would be handled. He followed along, keeping closer to the woman in armor. "Well, an interesting company at least. I'm Titus Keenan Matthias- T.K. for short," he said.

Droark
2013-10-04, 11:23 AM
The woman ahead proceeds at a leisurely pace, allowing you converse among yourselves as needed. As you walk, Mog and Dog attract a none-too-small reaction for passerby, though there is no mass hysteria. Perhaps the presence of a certain armored individual escorting the two has this effect?

No matter, for the woman suddenly stops at a small house, almost a shack, and unlocks the door. She smiles and gestures for you all to enter. If inspected from a distance, you can see that the inside of the home is well lit, if a bit cozy. "Please enter and make yourselves comfortable."

Morbis Meh
2013-10-04, 11:34 AM
Dog sniffs at the inside, unsure of what to do, normally he wasn't allowed inside peoples houses and was dubous...

[roll0] I know this is just to get the plot moving but an abused animal being invited inside a house when he was punished for going inside houses seems legit :smallbiggrin:

If safe he will simply plod on in and curl up near the fire or other heat source.

Mathemagics
2013-10-04, 12:18 PM
"Well, an interesting company at least. I'm Titus Keenan Matthias- T.K. for short," he said.

The templar gives a somewhat curt nod in response.

"Arinna Leonil. I'm... with the Iomedaeans."

She hesitates mid-sentence; in a place like Westcrown you needed to be careful about who you said that sort of thing to, but this ratfolk seemed decent enough.

Frosty
2013-10-04, 02:48 PM
Mog had gone with Dog, sitting next to where-ever his only friend and trustworthy companion is. She doesn't trust this woman yet, but those treats are tasty...

If Dog hesitates outside, Mog will say, "Dog, tall pretty says you can come in, so come in!"

QuidEst
2013-10-04, 05:05 PM
T.K. nods, simply replying with, "Shelyn." As a pacifistic deity, she didn't step on many toes as far as deities or clergy were concerned, but that only went so far in dealing with individuals.

The ratkin stepped through the door, looking about. It was spacious, as human dwellings had to be in order to fit their clumsy oversized bodies and massive furniture. His own people's dwellings favored more, smaller rooms. "Thank you, ma'am," he said to their host, careful not to neglect his manners.

Droark
2013-10-05, 03:30 PM
The woman closes the door behind the four of you as you enter. The home is a seems to be two stories tall, but there is only one room on the ground floor. There is a small parlor with a number of chairs available, circling a small fireplace, which is little more than a small hole in the wall surrounded by some shoddy masonry. The other side of the room is host to a more functional fire pit; used for cooking obviously. To either side of said pit are a number of cabinets, along with a counter.

The woman allows all of you to make yourselves comfortable before she starts to speak, "I would offer you all refreshments, but I have to make this short, unfortunately. First, my name is Janiven. I represent a small group of concerned citizens who have taken it upon themselves to improve this fallen city, for everyone." She smiles at Mog and Dog. "If any of you are concerned, we are not rebels, we are not happy with any violence that occurs, but we will not shirk from fighting for our fair city." She pauses for a moment, allowing for you all to speak.

Mathemagics
2013-10-05, 05:50 PM
The follower of the Lady of Valor remains silent for the moment, waiting to hear this Janiven woman out. While Arinna genuinely did wish for change in Westcrown, she had learned that certain methods simply did not work, and thus was wary of the potential implications behind what was being explained. This stranger may very well claim to not be a rebel, but of course that's exactly what any rebel would say in this situation; and Arinna had already committed herself against working with intentionally fractious elements in the city.

QuidEst
2013-10-05, 08:48 PM
T.K. smiled to himself at the figure of speech. Fair city. 'Fair' was such an interesting word under Cheliax's new rulers. But he knew what the woman meant. "While I am not from here, it pains me to see the city like it is. One of the great trade cities of the Inner Sea, under curfew because of things that go bump in the night? The merchants gone now that they have no nobility to cater to?" He shook his head, his face now serious. These days, he would have trouble anywhere in Cheliax. The humans were narrow-minded and didn't trust his kind. Local business would always outcompete him despite the better profit margins and faster production of his techniques. But here? The city was more populous than the capital, but he faced less competition. If he could establish himself and the city were to recover, then he would have a foothold.

Arinna did not look entirely satisfied with Janiven's explanation. "I don't doubt some fighting will be necessary- and I speak as a wizard, one who would far rather confound enemies than confront them." Moreso as a follower of Shelyn, although perhaps not devout enough that he could consider himself a pacifist if things came down to it. "There are things in the darkness. At the very least, confrontation with them is inevitable. For my part, I am interested in hearing how you would intend to go about this 'improvement'- and moreover how it is you think we might be of aid."

Frosty
2013-10-06, 03:16 AM
Mog looks around, looking determined, with a clarity of purpose. "You want help city? Kill all slavers. Simple yes?" Clarity, but simple-mindedness is the order of the day. That's like trying to solve world hunger by giving everyone a meal. "Me and Dog would help with that. *scratch scratch* Ya got anysmore of them tasty bread treats?"

Droark
2013-10-06, 11:34 PM
"We intend to improve the city from within. The city needs heroes- now more than ever. Banditry is on the rise, our city is cursed by some army of shadowy fiends, and it seems the guard is ill-equipped to take care of it in the regions they deem important enough to protect. I cannot give you specifics now, but I will give you all enough time to consider my offer." She pauses a moment. "Oh, and I do have a few more of those treats." She smiles.

After a moment of rummaging through the cabinets, she returns with a small sack, which she offers to Mog. If he were to accept them, he would find a dozen of the baked goods within. She turns to T.K.

"So far, our group is only a small group of citizens who have stepped forward to help. They are mostly young and inexperienced, but they have great potential. I guess you could say that you all would be used as our best and brightest, as you are relatively unknown in the city thus far, and could serve to an example of what the common people can aspire to do. Perhaps you could teach some of our members a thing or two."

She breaths for a moment. "Any final questions? I have some short business to take care of, but I can meet with you all at another location very soon - this afternoon to be exact."

Morbis Meh
2013-10-07, 09:07 AM
Dog didn't hesitate his filching of baked goods this time, he was content with munching away on his treat by the fire. He didn't comprehend the word hero but he wouldn't mind helping these people out espcially if it kept him fed.

Frosty
2013-10-07, 09:51 AM
Mog accepts baked goods happily, and shares readily with Dog. "Well, me be happy to fight banditry fer food! Wez need to uhh...work together?" says Mog as he points to the metal lady and the rat-folk.

Morbis Meh
2013-10-08, 08:28 AM
Dog looks up from his treat and lets out a deep whoof as a sign that he accepted the terms. Really they didn't have anything to do with this place but Dog figured that working for the people would prevent him from being locked up by the people.

QuidEst
2013-10-08, 08:55 AM
Ugh. The goblin held a grudge against slavers. It would be a bit of a nuisance- it would have been convenient to pay a little extra for a decent-looking human slave to run the shop. For motivation, set up a contract with him for freedom after three years and an agreement that he wouldn't be sold for any more than half his initial price, down to nothing in the final year. Most slaves weren't half of what you paid them- this ensured they were worth at least that much. Still, it wasn't like he had a shop at this point, so that was a ways off. He couldn't even afford a slave at this point.

T.K. nodded to Arinna. "I do have practical considerations to worry about, so the decision would be made easier if the matter of benefits is addressed. I can tell you that lodging will, at the very least, earn you my services until I can find some on my own."

Droark
2013-10-08, 09:33 AM
Janiven nods, "I will do what I can to provide. For now however, you may stay here until this afternoon. There is a place called Vizio's Tavern, which I will be hosting an early dinner tonight. I hope you all can make it. If you cannot, I understand. It will begin at 4 o'clock sharp. She pauses.

"And sir goblin, you may want to disguise yourself in some manner. If the guard or, gods forbid, the Hellknights catch you within the city walls, there will be trouble." With that she exits stage left, out through the door and into the still bustling streets of Westcrown.

Frosty
2013-10-08, 10:09 AM
"Dis...guise? Me no good at it. Who help Mog dis-guise?"

Mathemagics
2013-10-08, 02:01 PM
Arinna shrugs and glares critically at the goblin.

"No clue, but I know it won't be me."

Looking at the door Janiven just left through, she crosses her arms.

"And to be honest I'm not sure I really like this Janiven and her requests. Helping improve the city is one thing, but all the secrecy and lack of information lends itself to revolution more than anything else."

Her eyes narrow as she lets out another sigh. She can feel another headache coming on.

"Though I suppose making sure that's not the case means I have to go... doesn't it?"

QuidEst
2013-10-08, 02:29 PM
"A possibility, of course. But I have no interest in revolution either. If they're recruiting people against revolution… well, it won't be much of a revolution if they try, will it?" T.K. said, shrugging. "I can present a reasonable alternative to your theory of revolution, however. The streets are not safe at night. There's no point to revolution until the threat to citizens is addressed, no? It makes no difference who is in charge. To deal with the threat, investigation is clearly necessary, as it is the source that must be stopped. But to do so, and break curfew- that is illegal. Thus, if anything is to be accomplished, there must be some secrecy involved. I will not rule out the potential that their goal is revolution, but there are more immediate concerns to address, the remedying of which will be unquestionably beneficial to the citizens. If, in this time, our new employers and compatriots reveal less savory ambitions, we will have ample time to assess the situation further with greater knowledge and ability to address the problem."

Frosty
2013-10-08, 03:06 PM
"Youz people talk too much complee-kated stuff! Peoplez hurting. Peoplez need help! Mog help, especially against SLAVERY! Mog then take reasonable reward in exchange."

Morbis Meh
2013-10-08, 03:07 PM
Dog snarled slightly, he did not like the metal maiden, she gave off the same sense of self importance and moral superiority that Dog's former masters emitted. Beisdes she was being needlessly rude to Dog's master. Dog slowly rises up from his comfortable position and casually walks towards the metal maiden and stops short of her. He looks up at her with a glare of his own before moving on behind her. He will stay behind her and wait patiently until she isn't looking then when the time is right he will quietly approach her so he can relieve himself on her.

Mathemagics
2013-10-08, 05:26 PM
"Well... you have a point. I suppose that either way this at least bears investigating."

Arinna turns her attention from the ratfolk and glances at both the goblin and dog.

But still, why?! Why does it have to involve these two?!

The templar heads for the door. Before opening it and leaving, she turns back over her shoulder.

"I still have things I need to take care of. Guess we'll meet up later at the tavern."

She shoots a parting glare at the dog that clearly conveys the message of 'Don't even try it.' and then is gone.

QuidEst
2013-10-08, 05:33 PM
T.K. shook his head, sighing. "We are talking about complicated things because the world is complicated. You may want to help the slaves, but how would you do that? If you try to free them, you will be killed. But let us say you are too clever and fast for them, and you manage to free every slave and not get killed. You will need to shelter and provide for them or they will starve or be killed at night by the shadows. And you will need to deal with inquisitors sent to deal with the slave uprising. If I may suggest an alternative?" T.K. paused, looking the goblin in the eyes. "I think your plan is good, but backwards." He held up his hands to stall any objections. "You help out with what Janiven wants. Use the reasonable reward to buy a slave, maybe even slaves. You free them, or treat them well and have them earn money to help free more slaves. And," he added, since he doubted the goblin would ever reach the point of being able to start a rebellion, "if I turn out to be wrong and it's better to try and break slaves free, you will have helpers."

Frosty
2013-10-09, 10:58 AM
"Bah, Mog no like giving shinies to people who not even have RIGHT to sell 'their' slaves. Come, Dog. We findz da things in this house dat help with this...dis-guise."

Morbis Meh
2013-10-09, 11:00 AM
Dog growls at the haughty metal maiden then barks at the rat for its extremely poor suggestion. When Mog calls him he happily follows, bushy tail wagging, though he didn't know how much help he would be without the capability of speech and opposable thumbs.

Droark
2013-10-09, 03:30 PM
Currently you are on the bottom floor of the building. The room is split between a small parlor and a pseudo kitchen. There is a staircase leading up to a second floor. Where would you like to search for a disguise?

Frosty
2013-10-09, 06:30 PM
Mog tries to top floor first!

Droark
2013-10-09, 07:20 PM
The upper floor is quite small, not surprising considering the quality of the home. It's little more than a small bedroom, just enough for a human to move around. There is a small door on the east hide which hangs slightly ajar. Other then a small window on the north wall, the only features in this room is a human-sized cot and a small candle, along with its crude metallic holder.

Frosty
2013-10-10, 12:22 AM
Mog, not seeing anything like a makeup table, goes to check out the small door to the east.

Morbis Meh
2013-10-10, 09:01 AM
Dog watches his master and decides to go to the kitchen and find some flour, they needed something simply to hide that greenskin of his maybe they could get him pale enough to look like a sick halfling? Dog also begins pulling out loose fur that could serve as hair for the bald goblin.

Droark
2013-10-10, 06:28 PM
Mog
The small door opens to an even smaller room - a closet! Inside you can see a number of clothes hung up that are far too large for you. There are a number of shoes in here as well. Other than clothes, there is little to nothing in here.

Dog
You succeed in finding a small sack of flour, and you even manage to gather a small amount of fur that has gathered in the parlor and kitchen.

Frosty
2013-10-11, 12:27 AM
"Bah...need goblin clothes, not tall folk clothes. Maybe someone help...err...tail...lor clothes."

(OOC - got anything here who might be a decent tailor? :smallbiggrin:)

Morbis Meh
2013-10-11, 08:35 AM
Dog collects the bit of fur he can and drags the bag of flour to the parlor, waiting for his master to return so he can try to convey his intentions. Do goes towards the ratman and gives a cautious sniff before he stands on hind legs. Dog lets out a yip to grab the rat's attention and begins gesturing for water by pantomiming licking from a water dish then pointing to a pouch on one of his saddle bags.

QuidEst
2013-10-12, 11:26 AM
T.K. stared at the dog. Pointing at the flour and making lapping motions. "Okay, clearly you want me to make flour paste. Probably because your friend is green, and that sticks out. Not enough on its own, but with a hooded cloak, people will assume he's a slip before they'll assume he's a goblin." The fact that the dog was able to arrive at that conclusion meant that the dog wasn't a dog. And he looked like he was following the one-sided conversation, no less.

"Fine. I'll help- if you answer a few questions for me. What in the Infernal Realms are you? No, that's no good, you don't speak." So just treat it like a divination spell. T.K. went to fetch some water, gesturing for the dog to follow. "Soft bark for no. Two soft barks for yes. Are you a druid?" T.K. asked.

Frosty
2013-10-12, 11:39 AM
Mog comes back into the kitchen where Dog and T.K are, carrying a cloak. It was the only thing that would fit him. "Eh, what be goin' on 'ere?"

(gone for most of the day)

Morbis Meh
2013-10-12, 11:52 AM
Dog tilts his head What's a druid? Has the rat being eating bad cheese? To comply with the Large Rat's request Dog barked back once. What does the rat mean, Dog has always been a dog?

Frosty
2013-10-14, 09:42 AM
"Eh? Whyz are we fetching water? Mog bathed a week ago!"

QuidEst
2013-10-14, 11:26 AM
Hmm. Of course it couldn't be that simple. "Cursed?" T.K. suggested, not feeling very hopeful. "It's part of your disguise. I'll go out and get a cloak that will fit you so that you at least don't attract excessive attention on the street," he said, addressing the goblin. So this was his life now, sneaking goblins around.

Frosty
2013-10-15, 04:20 PM
Mog points out he already acquired a cloak just now. It fits him fine. "White flour paste for me face? Not for eatin'?"

Morbis Meh
2013-10-15, 04:30 PM
Dog is getting more confused the more the rat talks Dog is a dog therefore a dog, why does he feel the need to insult me and my species? Or making sweeping generalizations? There are plenty of things I could say about his people but I refrain from doing so... He lets out a single bark in reply, as far as he knows he is not cursed despite that being the real case.

Droark
2013-10-16, 05:50 PM
Moving forward, the lot of you manage to disguise the goblin with some difficulty using the supplies at the house. As it is mid-afternoon you all head to the meeting place - a small tavern that has obviously seen better days. The passerby blanch at the "gnome", but stay far enough away due to the company in question.

Upon opening the door and filing in, you see a large dining table set up in the middle of a single room, set with six chairs. There are two doors in the room, both leading to the east. To the west is a long bar, behind which Janiven is hammering in a nail into the ramshackle wall. She turns upon hearing the door open, and smiles upon recognition.

"Welcome, welcome! Make yourselves at home. The food is almost ready." Indeed, you all can smell a diverse assortment of aromas wafting from behind the bar.

Morbis Meh
2013-10-17, 08:35 AM
Dog happily wags his tail as he strolls through the city with his master riding atop him. He really didn't mind it and in fact it was sort of fun at times to give him a scare. Though it did worry dog a little that the paste mixture was either flaking off on him or matting up his fur which meant he need a BATH Dog growls in response at the word instinctively remember that times he was forced to endure such cruelty. He was glad people kept their distance from them, the disguise wasn't that great but it at least kept Mog's skin colour from giving him away. Also Dog growled at anyone getting too close as a warning which usually did the trick anyway.

Upon entering the house Dog's snout was assailed with scents of deliciousness...Wait, is that even a word? What is word... OMG TAIL! Wait, what was I thinking about again? The sound of the nice lady speaking broke Dog out of his pensive state. The invitation to sit at the table confused and dismayed Dog, he was almost certain this was some kind of test in which punishment would follow if he failed. Once Mog had dismounted, Dog quickly scrambled underneath the table like a 'Good boy' and eagerly awaited the coming meal. He was content with being fed table scraps as long as his presence didn't disrupt anyone else's dinner.

Frosty
2013-10-18, 01:40 AM
Mog is rather unhappy about all this stupid paste over his face, but the smell of food...THIS makes his mouth water and happy. In fact, it's watering so much that the paste around his lips is getting smeared. "MOG like! What EES this? Can Dog have some too?"

QuidEst
2013-10-18, 10:31 AM
T.K. was glad to be done dealing with the goblin's… "disguise". It was enough to stop anybody from grabbing pitchforks and torches, which was all he wanted. Probably thought he defaulted on a minor infernal contract or something along those lines.

He was even more relieved once they were off the streets. He bowed his head in gratitude to their hostess. "Thank you for your hospitality, ma'am. I look forward to hearing your proposal," he added, taking a seat in one of the oversized chairs and threading his tail through the back.

Mathemagics
2013-10-18, 12:58 PM
Arinna enters, a minor scowl attached to her face. Giving a curt nod to the hostess and the other invitees, she looks for an empty seat. Finding one, she settles down, crossing her arms in front of her in the process.

Droark
2013-10-19, 01:16 AM
After a few minutes, Janiven serves the meal. A robust affair given the rather drab environment in which the food is to be eaten. The meal consists of fish, prepared on a spit it seems, which variety of fish none of you are sure. This is served alongside a side of mushrooms and assorted greens. Janiven slides a serving of fish to the canine beneath the table as well.

"What shall you all have to drink? There is wine, beer, and a number of fruit beverages. I did not prepare any tea, unfortunately."

Frosty
2013-10-19, 12:24 PM
"Oooh...wine normally good, but Dog goes FUNNY-like wit' wine, and we talk business today, so no wine. Strike blow against da MAN!" says Mog, with a surprising amount of foresight from a goblin.

QuidEst
2013-10-20, 11:50 AM
T.K. paused to smell the delicious fish. "Many thanks! After several weeks of mostly trail rations, however they may be flavored, some real meat is most appreciated. And any sort of juice for me as well. As a matter of course, it's better for wizards to remain sober." It was also a reasonable precaution given his size. It didn't take nearly as much to get him drunk.

Mathemagics
2013-10-20, 01:22 PM
"Just water please."

Arinna sighed inwardly just a little. It was times like these that she almost wished temperance wasn't a favorite teaching of the goddess. She could really use a drink right about now.

Morbis Meh
2013-10-21, 12:42 PM
Dog gnaws contently on the delicious fish dish and listens absently to the idle chit chat. Wine was a terrible thing, Mog force fed it to him once and to show his dislike he vomitted and spewed any type of excrement all of Mog's possessions. It wasn't a pretty sight but at the very least Mog didn't try to feed him such things a second time.

Droark
2013-10-21, 07:23 PM
After collecting the requested drinks and dispersing them, Janiven sets her own meal on the table and sits down. She takes a couple of bites of the fish.

"So, talk friends. I can save my piece for a moment, tell me and each other about yourselves."

She then continues to eat her meal slowly, glancing at the door every so often.

Frosty
2013-10-22, 08:53 PM
Mog becomes visibly agitated. "Youz ask us to come here, den waste time wit' long introductions? Mog and Dog here to find ways to FIGHT da slavery, not ta waste TIME!"

Morbis Meh
2013-10-23, 09:30 AM
Dog yips in agreement with Mog but then returns to eating the delectable morsel in front of him. Suddenly Dog feels a minor pain in his abdomen which is followed by an unexpected release of gas that would probably gag a goblin...Dog takes that thought into consideration and moves away from Mog, fish always gave him an awful bout of flatulence.

QuidEst
2013-10-24, 09:32 AM
T.K. shot a sharp glance at Mog. The goblin was lucky he hadn't been arrested, killed, or both, and rushing into things wouldn't help that. "Titus Keenan Matthias, Conjuror of the First Circle, trained under House Leroung and graduated to First Circle with good marks. I am an entrepreneur, initially established in Egorian. Circumstance necessitated I sell off my business, and I took the opportunity to try to reestablish myself somewhere without quite so many Leroung-trained First Circle wizards."

Droark
2013-10-25, 11:02 AM
Janiven just smiles at the responses she receives. Responding to Mog, she says, "Patience, it is too late in the day to fight anyone with the curfew in affect. Trust me, you will find much to do later, perhaps even tomorrow."

She turns to T.K. "It is an honor to have such a prestigious Wizard interested in this affair. I assure you that you will find the city is rife with business opportunities, if you can get beyond the short-sighted view of a number of the Chelish residents."

Finally her eyes turn to the iron maiden. "And you, miss? I believe I've seen you on these streets more than your associates."

Mathemagics
2013-10-25, 11:56 AM
The cleric's eyes narrowed slightly. Great, someone had been watching her and taking notice. Granted this person might have perfectly benign intentions, but that meant that others were probably paying attention as well, and they may not be so benevolent. One more thing to worry about...

She takes a sip of water. Then setting the cup down, looks at their host.

"If you recognize me from around town, then you probably already have some idea of what the church is doing. It's not really a secret, we're just trying to help the people living here so much as we can within the rather binding constraints of the local authority. I'll admit that I wish we could do more, but well, at least this is something."

Frosty
2013-10-25, 12:01 PM
The goblin settles down a bit. "Bah, fine. Curfew. You law-followers..." He says the phrase 'law-followers' as if it were an expletive. "If ya wanna change 'nything, then ya gotta BREAK da existing, UNJUST lawz! Dat's what stickin' it to da man iz about! Me Mog. Tall folks kid-nap me away from home in cave. Force work day n' night on plantation. Beat Mog. Me run, free Dog. We travel together since. I has WEAPON ta fight da man!"

Droark
2013-10-25, 12:41 PM
Janiven nods toward her, "I fully agree. We all must do what we can." Before turning toward the goblin.

"I wasn't speaking so much about the curfew as I was about the dangers of such evening excursions. More than guards roam these streets at night."

Morbis Meh
2013-10-28, 08:51 AM
Dog growls at the mention of things in the night, he wasn't afraid of anything and would protect his master no matter what! Finishing his meal, Dog simply exits from under the table and pads towards his bags which he begins to dig through. He pulls out a bone and saunters back to a warm place and curls up whilst chewing on his bone.

Frosty
2013-10-28, 11:43 AM
"Bah. Everyone so afraid in this city. So, what you want Mog and Dog do?" He munches on his food more slowly now, almost full.

Droark
2013-10-30, 12:38 PM
Janiven, seeing that everyone has finished eating, stands. She quickly bolts the door and shutters the windows, before returning to her seat, though she remains standing. She takes a deep breath before she begins.

"Again, thank you for agreeing to meet with me here. I have chosen each of you for a singular reason- everyone here, myself included, has grievance or issue with the House of Thrune and their supporters. I have lived in Westcrown my whole life, and although I love this city, I must admit, as must you, that despite our peace and prosperity, we continue to suffer. Fear should not be an expected part of life, and yet each night brings fear to our doorsteps. Yes, Westcrown has been safe from war and famine for nearly seventy years, and yes our businesses have prospered- but this safety and prosperity has been bought in the coinage of fear and prayers to Hell. Other lands live free from tyranny. Other cities do not fear the night. Other governments to not cede the streets to monsters of the infernal shadows. Westcrown was once such a place, and she wants to be such a place again. Westcrown is not only her buildings and canals and docks and history- she is also her people. Westcrown is our friends and neighbors, our mothers and fathers, our siblings and cousins, our sons and daughters!" She is obviously working herself into a fervor, much different than the calm, observant woman you have seen.

"With but a small group of supporters and dedicated brothers and sisters, we can earn the trust and admiration of those people. A Westcrown free of these shadowy beasts that stalk our streets is one step closer to a Westcrown free of the devil that is the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune!" These words, of course, are treason. If any of you have been in Westcrown for a significant amount of time, you've heard tales of a friend of a friend taken away by a Hellknight or executed after a swift trial for speaking less treasonous words than what Janiven has just uttered.

Morbis Meh
2013-10-30, 01:08 PM
Dog perks up his ears and looks up intently, determining whether or not the woman was going to pass out or have a heart attack from over exertion. She really should just get to the whole point instead of wasting our time with speeches, hell for a meal and a warm place to curl up I will do almost anything for a time. Lowering his head back down, the 'canine' bellows out loudly what will soon to be a cloud of noxious gas. Lifting up his head he looks around to see if anyone noticed it was him before casting his eyes at the iron maiden, laying an accusatory glance in her direction. Sure it wasn't her who broke wind but it would be funny to have everyone else blame her for it.