PDA

View Full Version : I'm at a loss on how to make this character.

dascarletm
2013-10-02, 06:23 PM
A long time friend of mine is starting a new campaign in a week (they usually go from level 1-20). The thing is, I'm not quite sure how to effectively build this character concept I had. I humbly beseech the playground to lend me their know-how, and assist me in this endeavor.

The Concept

The Idea is a pugilist meets spiked gauntlets. Throw in some skill with harpoons (arms and equipment guide's version) and the crossbow in a gauntlet from that book as well (basically a hand crossbow in your gauntlets, I forget the name, the addition of this to spiked gauntlets is approved fyi), and you get a up close and deadly guy who impales you with a harpoon so you can't get away.

I was imagining this guy attaching the harpoon to himself when facing flying enemies and climbing up the rope to get em'. The gauntlet's shooting bolts is more to either pull off a ranged disarm on mid-level mooks, and maybe AOE line attacks? *see Ideas*

Ideas

There are a few feats and other things I saw that mostly inspires this character.

1) Driving attack (PHBII): I like the idea of punching some guy off into the distance. If there is a better (non-fighter required way of doing this) then I'd like to use it. It sounds awesome.

2) Ranged Disarm, and Penetrating Shot: I like the idea of punching bolts out of my fists to knock weapons out of peoples hands, or possibly killing a bunch of low level minions.

3) Harpoons: I'd like to be able to attach myself to enemies, and keep em close, or attach to a dragon as it is flying for extra badassness.

Setting/Allowed material

First, Tome of Battle is banned. The DM doesn't like it. I've tried to sway him, but... ah let's not get into it. Moving on.

The setting is a custom one where Mechanus has invaded the grand majority of the material plane. (at least as much as we know exists). Everyone is treated like a machine with a purpose decided at birth. Very distopian, if anyone disobeys the law, you are black-bagged and never seen again. Steampunk feel, we are probably going to be part of the resistance.

I think any other book is allowed besides ToB. Outside Core+PHB2+Completes, I think it goes on a case by case basis. The DM allows most stuff besides, as I said, ToB.

Party/optimization level

The party is mostly new besides myself and the DM, so I don't want to go overboard on the power.

Confirmed Party Members
Sorcerer: (expect blaster)
Artificer: (craft ahoy!)
Rogue:
The last one is unknown.

I want to be effective, but not outshine.

Thank you in advance for the help

Maginomicon
2013-10-02, 06:34 PM
Are you referring to an actual pugilist? Because, there's an actual pugilist class (Dragon Magazine #310 page 37).

If not, there's also an "exoticist" class (Dragon Magazine #310 page 35) that may be able to pull off what you want. He starts with proficiency in 4 exotic weapons at Level 1.

dascarletm
2013-10-02, 06:51 PM
I do mean an actual pugilist, although honestly, mostly the look and feel of a gentleman's boxer, but with spiked gauntlets.

I don't know if the DM would go for dragon magazine material, mostly because neither of us have access to it.

Otherwise.... I'll try to get those and check them out

GlorinSteampike
2013-10-02, 07:17 PM
I like that you're trying to do more than just focus on one punch trick. As for the harpoon stuff I don't really know what you can do besides tie one end around your waste and hit with the harpoon lol.

The Penetrating shot seems neat, but I feel like taking ranged disarm/pin would pay off better, especially since the reload for those xbows are a move action unless you dump more feats.

If you were to go with driving attack, the best advice I could off is try to get knockback instead. It requires Powerful Build or large size, so its kinda hinky to get without Goliath. A lot of my DMs allow characters with super strength(22ish) to take it as a feat since dungeoncrashing/knockback stuff is fun for fighters. So if you can get the large size for knockback and shock trooper, you can get some fun mook clearing powers. Shock trooper and can up your damage really well, and give you double bang for your buck on knockbacks/Bull Rush/Double Trip when surrounded.

As for the punchy flavor, spiked gauntlets usually ruin a lot of punch based things. Since I believe it messes up unarmed damage, I can't really suggest the ultimate 1-2 puncher, Frostrager. Frostrager is also a very specific themed class but maybe you could talk fluff out with your DM about instead of spiky ice its just spiky gauntlets/armor? :smallfrown: