PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Over Dark Waters IC (solo)

Benson
2013-10-02, 07:23 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/b7jcld.jpg

Mid-Arodus (August), Fireday (Friday)

Midday

Oh Sargava, bastion of northern culture and civilization in the heart of the southern wilds. A nation caught between trying to find its own identity and still clinging to its motherland for support.

Once part of a vast and mighty empire long since fallen to dust, as evidenced by the crumbling ruins still lurking beneath the veneer of lush farmland and verdant jungle, Sargava’s rich landscape is home to fierce Mwangi natives and even fiercer predators of the deep jungle, as well as a dwindling population of northern colonials who seek to uphold their ideals of culture and breeding at all cost, straining against the tides of resentment that may soon sweep them into the sea and return the land to its original owners.

Alas this story begins on a boat, or rather a small barge just coming into port in Port Freedom, barely managing in navigating the sandbars that prevent much travel by ship to this port, forcing most folks to rely on using the rivers for transporting goods. Immediately upon stepping off the barge and onto the docks, Marcus would be hit with a strong whiff of swamp water. And it was humid, boy was it humid.

As for the port herself, she was fairly lively with dock workers going about their business, be it carrying crates or tying the boat to the docks. The dock was fairly large though at the moment there were only a few vessels docked. One in particular that stood out was a paddle wheel boat which Marcus would recognize as The Crown's Delight, his uncle's vessel. His uncle went on and on about it in his letter to his nephew. The hull of the craft is sturdy but light, and the upper structures on the deck are composed of wood to keep the craft as light as possible for maneuverability and buoyancy. 70 feet wide with a 20 ft beam, she is quite the sight to behold.

Anyways, the letter also included directions to his uncle's house, up in the northern part of the town, a short ways up from the docks.

"Greetings! Welcome to ol' Port Freedom!" Marcus would find himself suddenly being greeted by an eager street urchin. "Carry yer bags Mister for a copper pinch?"

Comissar
2013-10-03, 11:30 AM
Marcus stepped off of the boat with a grin on his face. Even his sweat-slicked clothes and the smell of stagnant swamp water couldn't dampen his excitement at finally being here. Sargava! The untamed land! Everything the young Half-Elf saw just confirmed again that he'd made the right choice. He gave his thanks to the captain of the ship he'd sailed on for his hospitality on the docks. The man had been extremely helpful, especially when it came to helping Marcus overcome his bouts of sea sickness.

Having said his farewells, he struck out into the port itself, fishing in his inner coat pocket for one of the most recent letters he'd received. It took a few moments to find the right bit of parchment, the damp causing the sheets to cling together slightly. Finally finding the right piece, he held it up to his face, adjusting his glasses with his other hand to make it easier to read. The letter was, by this point, fairly dog-eared. Marcus had read and re-read it so many times over the last few days that he could probably recite it by heart by now. Nevertheless, he scanned through, lips moving slightly as he searched for the right line.

North of the Docks, top of the town

Glancing up from his letter, he spun around to his right, performing almost a full turn, until he was facing the right way. Smiling again, and letter in hand, he set off up the road. The urchin caught him by surprise. Absent-mindedly, he stuffed the letter back into his coat pocket as he talked.

"No no, I'm quite alright my dear boy. Kind of you to offer, though."

With a grin, he reached out to tousle the boys hair before resuming his walk.

Benson
2013-10-03, 11:38 AM
The young boy made a face as Marcus' tousled his hair. "Well...do ya got a copper pinch or two anyway Mister, to donate? Need a guide? I know the Port like the back of my own hand." He seemed insistent as he ran up with Marcus. He was just as bad as those cellphone plan salesmen.

Comissar
2013-10-03, 11:53 AM
Marcus raised an eyebrow at the child's persistence. He looked up the length of the street again, he was fairly sure he could find his uncle's house without help, but... Digging a hand into one of his outer pockets, he fished out his coin purse. Taking a quick look inside, he saw that he only had a pair of gold coins and a trio of silvers. Clicking his tongue, he picked out one of the silvers, offering it out to the young boy, returning the purse to his pocket with the other hand.

"Tell you what, lad, why don't you take me to the house of a man named 'Krieve'. He's my uncle, you know. Might even be another coin in it for you at the end of the trip."

Benson
2013-10-03, 12:14 PM
The kid's eyes lit up as he saw the silver piece and eagerly snatched it up. This guy must have been loaded! The kid nodded his head at Marcus' proposal.

"Yea, everyone knows where Mister Krieve stays here, his is the biggest house on Silk Street...err I mean one of the big houses...I' can show ya which one." He sported a toothy grin as he walked with a strut.

"Name's Lani by the way, so yer really Mister Krieve's nephew? Coool." He said as he walked up the squat set up stone steps that lead out of the dock area and onto street level.

Comissar
2013-10-03, 12:44 PM
Marcus looks around at the buildings around him as he follows Lani, taking in as much as he could. It really was very hot, though. He pulled at his shirt, the cloth peeling off his skin before sticking back to it, leaving an uncomfortable clammy sensation.

"Very good of you, Lani," Marcus commented absently, "Very good."

The further away he walked from the docks, the more the cloying heat seemed to intensify. Ah well, price of adventure. Marcus' optimism began to buoy him up again, he'd get used to it soon enough.

Benson
2013-10-03, 01:11 PM
Walking through town, Marcus would see a lot of puddles of stagnant water, probably a sign that it rained the night before, creating the more intense humidity he was feeling now.

The denizens of Port Freedom went about their business on its cobblestone paved roads. Chelish merchants tried to hawk their wares to anyone passing by too close. Less than savory characters hung around street corners playing dice, watching for marks, chewing straw, all that jazz. Speaking of jazz, at the main square of town, some Mwangi percussion musicians could be seen playing a jungle beat, a small crowd of four watching them with interest.

Eventually the two would find themselves in the north of town, Silk Road where the wealthy built their almost plantation styled houses.

/and now I...gtg to work

Comissar
2013-10-04, 11:08 AM
As Lani leads him to his destination, Marcus occasionally pauses to take a look at the merchant's stalls. For most, he contents himself with just a glance, one or two hold his attention for a little longer. Were it not for his pressing engagement, he would have stayed to examine them further. Making a mental note to come back at some point, he continued on. The Mwangi musicians held little interest for him, though. The beat they played seemed uncouth compared to the more... Civilised music he was used to.

Finally they arrived in front of the big plantation houses. He looked from one to another, any could be the right house for his Uncle. Without looking down at his young guide he asked, "Well then, I take it we're almost there?"

Benson
2013-10-04, 01:14 PM
"Yea..we is here...that one...with the oaks.." The urchin responded as he led the way.

The houses were styled so different from the way Marcus would be used to way back home in Ustalav where they were built to keep the cold out. Here, they were much more open, welcoming the breeze, to prevent such a stuffiness from building up. Such tall columns of the finest marble. Most were done in a Chelish style since most of Sargavans were of Cheliax, but there was one house done in a style that incorporated Taldor artistry.

Its wrap around porch with bronze decorate pieces, a pair of lion statues on the sides of the stairs leading up to the porch. The whole place just
looked of no money was spared, and so clean-cut green were the landscapes, the whole street was a juxtaposition of the rest of the town, it didn't seem real. Great oaks could be seen, such trees not native to this part of the world, could be found here.

But they were here now, in front of the large front yard of a two story white and bronze manor, with the two lion statues. It smelled nicer here too, than town. A pair of guards could be seen standing guard in front of a massive pair of carved doors to the house. They wore the Gold Crown Shipping and Mining Company on their uniforms.

Comissar
2013-10-05, 08:26 AM
As Marcus looked up at the impressive building with a mixture of excitement and awe, he dug a hand into his pocket again. Pulling his coin purse out, he selected a second silver coin, holding it out to the young boy.

"Here you are, my boy, don't go spending it all at once."

Payment given, he strode purposefully towards the house's entrance. Drawing closer to the guards, he raised his hand in greeting and called out "Good afternoon, sirs! Tell me, is my uncle home?"

Benson
2013-10-06, 12:28 AM
Lani eagerly grabbed the coin and nodded his head. "Good luck mister and yea...good luck!" He yelled at him as he ran off with riches in hand.
---

The guards looked at him, both looked to have some Taldane ancestory, with their light brown hair and brown eyes and their aquiline noses.

"Greetings," The one on the right of the door replied back to Marcus whilst the other one remained quiet and took to a stoic demeanor. "You are Master Krieve's nephew?....Well, yes, he is....currently home, how should we address you to him?" Basically he was asking his name.

Comissar
2013-10-06, 05:18 AM
"Ah! Where are my manners?" Marcus extended a hand in greeting to the guard who had spoken, "My name is Marcus Le'Strade, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Benson
2013-10-06, 01:17 PM
"Ah! Where are my manners?" Marcus extended a hand in greeting to the guard who had spoken, "My name is Marcus Le'Strade, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

The other guard opened the door as the one who spoke to Marcus nodded his head and gestured for Marcus to enter. The moment he did enter he would be hit by a change of temperature. It was so cool and not humid in here, it was almost as if though he were back home in the mountainous air of Lepidstedt. The floors were of polished Andoran Cherry tree wood as a set of curved grand staircases with marble fixtures came into view, adorned with a red and brown rug of Qadira running down both staircases. Above was a crystal chandelier with the symbol of the goddess Sarenrae in the middle.

"Announcing a Mister Marcus Le'Strade," He said as Marcus would come to be approached by an older man in a butler suit. He offered a courteous bow with his white gloved hand gesturing to Marcus.

"Greetings young sir, I am Danavall, head butler in the fine home of Master Krieve Olytrius."

Comissar
2013-10-07, 10:47 AM
Marcus entered the building, returning the Butler's bow with a nod, "Pleased to meet you, Mister Danavall."

The blessed cool of the house was such a relief after the muggy heat of the outside. Shrugging off his cloak, Marcus looked around approvingly at his surroundings. Draping it over his arm, he continued, "You keep a clean house, I'm very impressed."

Benson
2013-10-07, 12:05 PM
Marcus entered the building, returning the Butler's bow with a nod, "Pleased to meet you, Mister Danavall."

The blessed cool of the house was such a relief after the muggy heat of the outside. Shrugging off his cloak, Marcus looked around approvingly at his surroundings. Draping it over his arm, he continued, "You keep a clean house, I'm very impressed."

"Thank you," Danavall replied with a another bow. "Well allow me to take you to Master Krieve, he is currently in his study." He briefly bowed his head and pivoted on his heel and began to climb up the right side of the grand stairs. At the very top of the stair case at the center was a large portrait of who could only be Krieve, the portrait of him had him dressed in hunter's gear with one foot on top of some sort of large boar, he sported a rogue-ish grin.

Marcus would be lead down a red rug lined hallway filled with doors, busts of his uncles head and some other unknowns, along with more smaller portraits, of you guessed it, his uncle. He would also come to spot one portrait of his uncle and mother when they were children in stuffy clothing, posing for a family portrait.

Anyways, Danavall would stop in front of a pair of red oak doors and rapped at it with his knuckle.

'Come in~' Replied a voice from the other side as Danavall gestured to Marcus for him to enter.

"Announcing, Master Marcus Le'Strade."

Comissar
2013-10-08, 10:11 AM
Marcus raised an eyebrow at the choice of decoration along the hallways. His Uncle clearly had a high opinion of himself. Keeping his thoughts to himself, he continued on after the Butler.

Upon his announcement, he stepped smartly into the room, cloak held in front of him as he did so. With a smile, he said "It's good to see you again, Uncle. Thankyou for inviting me here."

Benson
2013-10-08, 11:22 AM
Before Marcus was a bronzed skinned, light browned wavy haired with amber eyes of a man, handsome one at that it made it hard to discern just how old exactly he was. But he was in his forties. Don't tell him I told you. He broadly grinned and stood up from his polished red wood desk covered in parchments and books. He walked over to Marcus and extended both arms for a hug. Whether or not Marcus accepted the hug, Krieve would hug him anyway. His clothing was very light weight and very soft, made with Osirion cotton it seemed.

"Nephew!....Hahah....welcome Marcus...welcome....you're here now hahah..." He continued to grin as he pulled back and stood back and sized Marcus up. "My you've grown, why I remember you when you were still trying to grow your first chest hair hahaha."

Comissar
2013-10-08, 11:54 AM
Finding his arms pinned to his sides by his boisterous Uncle's hug, Marcus attempt to lean back and out of the embrace. Unsure of how to respond, he simply offered the man a grin.

"Mother sends her best wishes, she wanted me to let you know that she misses you."

Benson
2013-10-09, 04:37 AM
"How is your mother doing?" He asked as he returned to his desk and pushed aside papers and sat down. He gestured for Marcus to take a seat in front of the desk.

Comissar
2013-10-09, 09:31 AM
Seating himself quickly after Krieve, Marcus replied, "She is quite well, insists on helping out the business still, though I think Father disapproves of that." A shadow passed across his face, "He keeps telling her to retire, says she should enjoy what time she has left."

Brightening up again, Marcus looked up at his Uncle, "But never mind that, how have you been faring here?"

Benson
2013-10-09, 12:42 PM
"Oh I've been faring quite well, recently renovated the west wing, had a minor issue of a yellow musk creeper....I'm not really sure how it got there. Scared the living daylights out of my staff...left an awful mess when it was removed by a professional I hired. Luckily no one got hurt, twas still a small one." He said with a slight chuckle as he poured himself a glass of ale and another and offered it to Marcus.

"Business has been very well, rather easy when you got little competition to deal with," Krieve grinned as he downed his drink.

"Oh right!...Before I forget, since we're due to leave port tommorow, due to some minor repairs on the Crown's Delight, I figured that later I could still take you down to the paddle boat and introduce you to the mates you'll be seeing a lot of there, how about it?"

Comissar
2013-10-11, 12:41 PM
Marcus' eyes went wide at his uncle's tale. "A Musk Creeper! I'm surprised something like that even managed to get into the town."

Accepting the glass, he took a sip of his own drink. Back on the boat so soon, and he'd hardly arrived. Ah well, price of business. "That sounds like a good plan, I look forward to having a proper tour of the ship."

Benson
2013-10-11, 01:06 PM
"Good good, but that's for later as I said, right now, I want you to pick your room for the night, get a little settled and come join me for lunch on the patio, what say you?" He happily asked as he downed his drink and set it on his desk.

Comissar
2013-10-12, 12:43 PM
Marcus nods, finishes his drink, then pushes his chair back to allow himself to get up. "Sounds like a good plan." A warm smile was on his face now, "If you'll excuse me, then, I'll see you for lunch."

Giving a slight nod by way of thanks for the hospitality, he headed back out of the room and upstairs to find somewhere to spend the night.

Benson
2013-10-14, 11:57 AM
He would be assisted by the staff in finding a room along with carrying his luggage. His chosen room was furnished with a four poster bed with high quality sheets made of Osirion cotton. Twas of intricate geometrical design of ambers and dark browns. It had the typical furnishings one would expect in a guest room of a big fancy house. Off in the far corner to the west of the room was a door, inside, a toilet hole, if one looked looked closely, one could see a small stream of water going through underneath. Anyways, there were very large open windows in the room with breezy curtains gently blowing. There was also a small balcony. Upon stepping out on to it one would feel the humid air of this land.

Comissar
2013-10-16, 02:12 AM
Marcus dropped his bag onto his bed, leaving it there for the time being. Given he was only going to be here one night, unpacking didn't feel like a particularly urgent task to attend to. Stepping out onto the balcony, he grimaced at the sudden reminder of the heat of this continent. Doing his best to ignore it, he leaned on the railing, taking in the sights. It was starting to sink in now, he was here. The adventure was really beginning.

He spent a few minutes admiring the view before he finally headed back down to rejoin his uncle. Stepping out onto the patio, he glanced around for his uncle, walking over to join him once he saw him.

Benson
2013-10-20, 01:18 PM
"Marcus~!" Krieve called out to him, sitting in one of the chairs and gesturing Marcus take the other. At the moment a servant was pouring chilled tea into glasses for the two as another set down a breadroll basket and some butter and a butter knife.

Comissar
2013-10-22, 04:50 AM
Marcus sat beside his uncle, taking one of the chilled tea glasses gratefully. He savoured the moment, it was nice to simply be sitting and relaxing on solid ground now, even if it was just for a short while.

"I must say, uncle, you have a very pleasant household."

Benson
2013-10-24, 11:54 AM
"I like to believe that if you treat your servants rightfully so, you will get the best service out of them," Krieve said as he sipped his beverage. "So, what do you think so far of here? Port Freedom that is."

Comissar
2013-10-28, 04:14 AM
Marcus leaned back in his chair, crossing one leg over the other as he relaxed.

"If I am honest? Rather too hot for my liking," He chuckled at his own comment, "Though I suppose that's something I'll grow more accustomed to."

He paused as he considered his thoughts regarding the Port itself.

"There's a certain... Energy... Here that you just don't find back home. I'm not sure if it's simply because the wild is so close, perhaps the dangers persuade everyone to be more free?" He shrugged before continuing, "I think I'd have to see more before I could make an accurate judgement."

Benson
2013-10-29, 11:49 AM
"Well then perhaps, after the tour of the Crown's Delight, perhaps a small venture into town? Get a taste of the local flavor and all that," Krieve replied with a smirk as he sipped his tea.

Comissar
2013-11-02, 10:32 AM
Marcus nodded his agreement, taking another sip of his drink. "That sounds like a good plan, I look forward to it."

Blergh, sorry for the poor posting rate, life is hectic right now

Benson
2013-11-05, 12:23 PM
"Good, good.." Krieve smiled and nodded as he took a sip from his drink again.

"Oh right...I've been meaning to ask you, but, how good are your cartography skills? I've been curious at seeing your maps."