PDA

View Full Version : What kind of programs would be useful to you?

Seer_of_Heart
2013-10-02, 08:01 PM
I'm doing java and a couple of other programming languages in my spare time and I was trying to make something that would be useful to me and interesting. I was thinking of making a couple programs to do things in d&d for me and wanted to ask the playground what kind of programs would be useful to them to get ideas. I'll gladly make them available if I can finish them but don't expect the nicest looking programs because I'm not that great at programming right now.

gr8artist
2013-10-02, 08:05 PM
Crafting/Smithing and the like. It's basically straightforward algebra, inputting variables and outputting progress. I made a program on my TI-83 for it, but that's the most immediately complicated thing I can think of.

Helcack
2013-10-02, 08:10 PM
I've always found that random loot generators are awesome. Also, random mook generators are cool with settings based on party ECL, and environment.

Maginomicon
2013-10-02, 08:27 PM
You may want to look into Google Docs Spreadsheets. They have a [I think] Java-based scripting language that you can use to modify cells and such. I use it to increment a game clock and manage durations on effects.

unseenmage
2013-10-02, 08:33 PM
I have a site (http://yasa.nycmongol.com/spellcost.html) for Scrolls, Wands, Spellbooks, and NPC spellcasting prices but not one for Staffs.

Totally need a program for Staffs and Repeating Magic Traps. :smallsmile:

Seer_of_Heart
2013-10-02, 09:35 PM
You may want to look into Google Docs Spreadsheets. They have a [I think] Java-based scripting language that you can use to modify cells and such. I use it to increment a game clock and manage durations on effects.

I could do a lot of things on a spreadsheet but this is a good way to get myself to go and learn java and just get some more practice.

TuggyNE
2013-10-02, 09:48 PM

Might this language be called (drumroll please) Javascript?

:smallbiggrin:

For future reference, Javascript is not actually based on Java. It's much more closely related to Scheme. Java is class- and interface-based, Javascript is prototype- and function-based; Java is static, Javascript is dynamic; Java has strong typing and checked exceptions, Javascript has duck typing and doesn't use exceptions much at all; and so on and so forth. Javascript was named in rather a rush because Netscape thought it would sound cooler if it had something to do with Java.

I'd recommend learning Javascript more than Java, honestly.

Asrrin
2013-10-03, 05:15 PM
I would pay good money for an Android spellbook app that allowed you to input your own "custom" spells in addition to the SRD spells all the other spellbook apps have. I use enough non-SRD spells in my game that it would be incredibly useful!

Waker
2013-10-03, 05:27 PM
Crafting/Smithing and the like. It's basically straightforward algebra, inputting variables and outputting progress. I made a program on my TI-83 for it, but that's the most immediately complicated thing I can think of.

A crafting program for magic items would be great. When you play as a character who crafts a lot, like say an artificer, it can be annoying determining the costs and time required.

Gemini476
2013-10-03, 05:49 PM
Input DC and modifier, output probability of success. Same thing but for opposed rolls as well, I suppose.

A calculator for Optimization By The Numbers (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=386.0) (BGG 'cause Wizards screwed up formatting) would also be really helpful, although that would be horribly tedious to write. Input damage, to-hit, AC and saves, receive an estimate on how good you are against each CR.

But yeah, that would be tedious, even with all the math already done for you. So many lists and arrays. So many.

Mcdt2
2013-10-03, 06:04 PM
I want to see a character builder that allows you to insert your own classes/races, and save them for future use. I like character builder programs, but I use WAY too many homebrew classes to even consider it. Thinking having the basic chassis be selected from a dropdown menu (ie BAB, good/bad saves, HD) and have columns for spells per day/power points/maneuvers readied, spells/powers/etc known, as well as custom columns, for things like Monk Unarmed damage that have their own column. Also, a way to insert abilities independent of the class. I think the ability should be created in such a way as to have a shorthand name, for in the classes' statblock, which links you to the full description.
(That was a little ramble-y, dunno if that all made sense.)

On a similar note, a "spellbook" that lets you add new entries. I put spellbook in quotes because I want it to work with spells, powers, maneuvers, invocations, soulmelds, etc.

unseenmage
2013-10-03, 09:41 PM
A crafting program for magic items would be great. When you play as a character who crafts a lot, like say an artificer, it can be annoying determining the costs and time required.

Agreed, especially if you play more than one character and have to relearn stuff when returning to a slightly neglected artificer character.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-10-03, 09:50 PM
Alright, based on what's been recommended and based on what I already know about java and the amount I think I can learn relatively easily I'm gonna do a crafting program with a simple gui. I think I'll have a lot of spare time to program this because too many of my friends have been too busy to play d&d lately :smallsigh:.

Waker
2013-10-03, 09:52 PM
Agreed, especially if you play more than one character and have to relearn stuff when returning to a slightly neglected artificer character.

I retired an Alchemist in PF simply because I got tired spending time calculating how long it would take me to craft this item and brew this potion, especially when I had to factor in various item crafting reducers. While I find item creation to be extremely useful, it doesn't mean I wanna spend too much time scheduling my adventuring to ensure I have the time to mix drinks.

unseenmage
2013-10-03, 10:02 PM
I retired an Alchemist in PF simply because I got tired spending time calculating how long it would take me to craft this item and brew this potion, especially when I had to factor in various item crafting reducers. While I find item creation to be extremely useful, it doesn't mean I wanna spend too much time scheduling my adventuring to ensure I have the time to mix drinks.

Yeah I just started an adventure playthrough with an Artificer Alchemist and I'm not sure how it's going to go. Especially as it seems the 'ding fries are done' Dedicated Wright in a Bag o' Holding isn't an option.

Even worked up a spreadsheet to figure how long it takes him to replenish Alchemical supplies for his checks, his D. Wright's, and Unseen Crafter's.

Story
2013-10-03, 10:11 PM
I'd recommend learning Javascript more than Java, honestly.

I'd strongly recommend Python over both. But if you have to pick one, Javascript is a lot more useful for this kind of thing than Java is.

TuggyNE
2013-10-03, 11:21 PM
I'd strongly recommend Python over both. But if you have to pick one, Javascript is a lot more useful for this kind of thing than Java is.

Yeah, JS is not my favorite language. Java is closer to my least favorite. :smallyuk:

Story
2013-10-03, 11:24 PM
Java is my least favorite of the languages I actually use. PHP still exists after all.

Anyway, you may find Python a little weird at first, but it will let you develop a lot faster once you get used to it. It's especially important if you're coming from Java as your first language, because Java teaches you a lot of bad programming habits.

JaronK
2013-10-03, 11:42 PM
Javascript is a terrible abomination of a language.

Python's great for this sort of thing though.

JaronK

Snowbluff
2013-10-03, 11:46 PM
Java is generally a good way to get viruses. Having it turned off permanently is something a lot of people do. It's quickly losing relevance because of this, IIRC.

I have a site (http://yasa.nycmongol.com/spellcost.html) for Scrolls, Wands, Spellbooks, and NPC spellcasting prices but not one for Staffs.

Wow, that's really neat. :smallsmile:

Story
2013-10-04, 12:46 AM
Java is generally a good way to get viruses. Having it turned off permanently is something a lot of people do. It's quickly losing relevance because of this, IIRC.

The (lack of) security of Java browser plugins doesn't really have anything to do with its suitability as a language for application development.

Maginomicon
2013-10-04, 06:28 AM

Did you make that? If so, it's calculating potion costs wrong when the potion uses XP. Correct me if I'm wrong, but although potions usually don't have an XP cost, potion crafting still follows the standard rules for adding XP to the market price, and that calculator doesn't account for the XP cost when determining output for a potion.

TuggyNE
2013-10-04, 06:51 AM
Did you make that? If so, it's calculating potion costs wrong when the potion uses XP. Correct me if I'm wrong, but although potions usually don't have an XP cost, potion crafting still follows the standard rules for adding XP to the market price, and that calculator doesn't account for the XP cost when determining output for a potion.

You mean XP component, as opposed to crafting XP? Yeah, something to include.

unseenmage
2013-10-04, 07:49 AM

Nope, didn't make it. Just stumbled across it.
Thanks for the heads up about potion costs.

Luckily I never use it for potions though.

Captnq
2013-10-04, 08:02 AM
I like crystal ball, to be honest. 3.2 Crystal ball lite, just a little too confusing for me.

Get me a Crystal Ball 3.2 that let's me enter in individual spells, magic items, and what not, then lets me hypertext to various entries. It already has NPCs. I'd like to be able to enter Locations, Organizations, and Unique Objects. I already can add Classes.

I want a program where I can make a map. Then click on part of the map to bring up smaller maps. Then I want to be able to put words on the map that when I click on it, brings up an entry for that location, that I can make hypertext and connect to all the NPCs in that location, organizations that use that location, and objects in that location.