PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Prescience/Bluff vs Anti-magic Field

Zorgoth
2013-10-02, 09:09 PM
Suppose you were a sorcerer with maxed out bluff, and some irritating NPC with untrained sense motive decides to cast an anti-magic field. I don't know exactly how much you need to win the roll by (at least 50), but I know bluff can impart a non-magical suggestion. So a) will Moment of Prescience help you make the bluff check "OK, I surrender. You can take down the anti-magic field now." (I'm not in the field, just my opponent), and b) would that bluff check, if it was high enough, implant a suggestion that would compel the target to dismiss the field?

mregecko
2013-10-02, 09:26 PM
Technically the use of Bluff to do this is limited to if you're playing with Epic rules, but I actually think this is a pretty brilliant idea.

It's very easy, especially as a Charisma based character, to boost Bluff out the window. And Bluff / Sense Motive in this instance are definitely opposed skill checks, so Moment of Prescience can add to your roll.

Not many people (in my experience) optimize for Sense Motive, so even on a good roll a roll of a 25-30 is probably what you'd have to aim to beat... So you'd need a 75-80 on your Bluff check reliably.

With Moment of Prescience adding +15-25, you need a modifier of about +60-70 or so. 20 ranks, 10 base stat, skill focus, competence item, etc etc... Not too hard to come by.

And your suggestion could be something along the lines of "That AMF hinders your magical items as well, you should take it down for your safety."

rockdeworld
2013-10-02, 10:40 PM
a. It applies to opposed skill checks, so yes.
b. Yes, if phrased correctly. "Take down the AMF" works.